++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #22,366 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey people.

I posted a few pages back and didn't got a reply  
frown.gif

After researching a bit more I decided that I must choice between the ATH-M50 and the Grado SR-80i.
I mostly listen to Rock, Folk/Acoustic, Metal and Jazz; but sometimes I change things a bit and listen to Electronic, R&B and Hip Hop.

I want a pair of cans that sound great with the genres I listed first, and are decent with the latter.
I know that the Grados are great for my favorite music, but I like fact that the ATH-M50 are closed and they seem to be widely recommended for beginners.

Any help will be appreciated

The ATH-M50 are overrated for what they are. If they were around $80, then they would be worth it. I would go for the Sennheiser HD280 Pro or Shure SRH-440.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #22,367 of 29,490
Okay. So I'm, like everyone in this thread looking for a new set of headphones. I intend to use them for all of my PC needs. This means music,gaming and movies. I wear my headphones for very extended periods and thus comfort is a huge deal. I'm not a fan of pleather at all so a set that has foam options or something would be nice. As for music I'm mostly into hip-hop, trip-hop, downtempo ect. but listen to a little bt of pretty much everything so I guess I'm looking for good allrounders. I live in a semi loud environment so closed is preferable unless there're is something AMAZING for the the price that's open. I know nothing of amps but I am getting this soundcard and I'm am wondering if it is appropriate for headphones that require some amping as it has an amp built in. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020)

I'd like to keep it under $200 because I also need to get the soundcard and an independent mic. 

I was looking at this AKG K271 MKIIs and was wondering if they might be good for this and if I need a good amp for them. I hear they have weak bass. Any info on that. 

TL;DR  Closed headphones for under 200$ That are good for everything especially hip-hop/gaming and are comfy as hell. I hate pleather. 
Much thanks in advance for any replies. I'm indecisive as hell and have no clue what to buy.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #22,368 of 29,490
Quote:
Okay. So I'm, like everyone in this thread looking for a new set of headphones. I intend to use them for all of my PC needs. This means music,gaming and movies. I wear my headphones for very extended periods and thus comfort is a huge deal. I'm not a fan of pleather at all so a set that has foam options or something would be nice. As for music I'm mostly into hip-hop, trip-hop, downtempo ect. but listen to a little bt of pretty much everything so I guess I'm looking for good allrounders. I live in a semi loud environment so closed is preferable unless there're is something AMAZING for the the price that's open. I know nothing of amps but I am getting this soundcard and I'm am wondering if it is appropriate for headphones that require some amping as it has an amp built in. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020)

I'd like to keep it under $200 because I also need to get the soundcard and an independent mic. 

I was looking at this AKG K271 MKIIs and was wondering if they might be good for this and if I need a good amp for them. I hear they have weak bass. Any info on that. 

TL;DR  Closed headphones for under 200$ That are good for everything especially hip-hop/gaming and are comfy as hell. I hate pleather. 
Much thanks in advance for any replies. I'm indecisive as hell and have no clue what to buy.

Sounds like you need a DT770. They are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. Velour padding is a heavenly experience.
Soundstage is quite large for a closed can, which is great for gaming, movies, and whatever else that has a lot of depth and width in its sound.
The 80 ohm version should be better for you. You can get them on eBay from CobraSonics (a trusted seller I feel) for around $160, and $220 currently on Amazon. I would recommend the FiiO E10 over that Asus soundcard you posted. It is a cheap, but well rounded amp/DAC for the budget user. It should drive the DT770 easily.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #22,369 of 29,490
Hey guys, I have recently been craving better quality headphones that outperform my current $30 earbuds, and I've been browsing though these forums for hours, combing through many models of headphones.  I am not an experienced audiophile by any means, the only high quality headphones I've listened to are the M50's, and I only listened to them for a couple of minutes.  I am planning on getting a pair of headphones for christmas, and my strict budget is under $200.  I will mostly use them to listen to music on my computer or phone, as well as occasional gaming and movies.  I prefer closed, and I listen to a variety of music, including rock, metal, orchestra, dubstep, trance, dnb. I think I have rounded it down to these three: SoundMagic HP100, Beyerdynamic COP or 770 80 omh version, Ultrasone 780's.

If there are others to recommend, input would be great.  I have no idea which choice is the best, so thanks ahead of time.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #22,370 of 29,490
Hey guys,

I just kees modded my PRO 900... I put tape on all the holes, and there is even MORE bass and the treble and upper mids are not as piercing. As well, they are more forgiving to poor recordings. Is this normal?

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #22,371 of 29,490
Thanks for suggestion! Looked into them and they seem to be pretty good. Probably gonna get them but still looking at the same time. 

Edit: Any cheaper options for my consideration? Maybe with a detachable cable? This is just to see whats available in what price ranges.

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #22,372 of 29,490
Quote:

Do headphones used for recording need to be closed?  The best I've heard for vocals under $500 are Sennheiser HD600 (and you can probably find them used for half that price).  They are very smooth and neutral, so would be fairly true to the original recorded sound.  Very enjoyable for music too.  They do improve with amplification, but don't go overboard- a cheap amp/dac unit or most any stereo amp or mixing board with headphone jack would do nicely.

Edit: oh yes and the very best headphone for vocals imo is the HE500 (I like them even more than my LCD-2 for vocals).  They are an amazing bargain for the sound quality.  You don't even need a massive amp to run them nicely.  And if you need closed heaphones, SRH840 are very nice and SRH940 have slightly better treble extension.  No closed headphone comes close for neutral & high quality sound imo except maybe ultrasone edition 8 but those are ridiculously expensive.

Thanks for responding. Sent you a PM. Answer when you can, thanks.

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #22,373 of 29,490
I posted in the bass head forum, I will seek opinions too :)

Hi bass heads, I'M interested in the Sony xb series because the first time I heard the xb400 I was really satisfied by the amount of bass coming out of it.

I'm not an audiophile probably but I've demoed the xb400,600 and 800/900. I find the treble in the 600 very sharp and I was disappointed as before that I've set my eye on the old model xb-500.

My question is, should I go ahead with buying the old xb-500 or the new xb-400 (yes, you read that right, I personally prefer 400 to 600 because of the unusually sharp treble in 600).

I've not got the chance to test out the 500 btw and I got mostly EDM with source from iPhone, unamped.

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #22,374 of 29,490
Looking for headphones for use with my iPod touch 2nd Gen. Been using Philips SHN 2500 IEMs for around a year, and I think I need something better now. I am in no sense an audiophile, and my budget is 2k INR or $50. I was looking at Sony MDR XD200/300 and MA300. It'll be great if someone here could help me choose in between those. Also, heaphones from MP4Nation look good, anyone tried those yet? 
Please let me know if I've missed out on anything. Thanks in advance!

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #22,375 of 29,490
hello there.

im looking for a new over-ear headphone.

1. budget under 50$ (exclude shipping worldwide)
2. i listen to almost all genre (rock, hip hop, pop, jazz, etc)
3. foldable (extra feature, dont have to be)
4. closed can, with good isolation, doesnt have to be the best one.

now i own portapro and tad300. i was trying to buy panasonic HTF600, but suddenly they are out of stock.

so any suggestion? its really hard to find cheap cans which will ship to worldwide. mostly they ship to US only.

thx anyway.

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #22,376 of 29,490
Hi guy's

It's been almost 5 years since I posted and subsequently bought my last set of headphones (In ear Denon AH-C751) based on recommendations/reviews on head-fi were absolutely fantastic exceeding my expectations. This time I'm after a set of full size over-ear phones for a variety of applications.

Primarily I need these phones for listening to a variety of music everything from classical through to pop, blues, rock & techno (just no metal type music).
Music creation/production through a digital workstation, my main interests here are classical acoustic pianos & electronic sounds.

In addition to these main uses I also watch a few movies & play some computer games every now & again but sonic performance here is less important.

So having decided on a budget & reading some reviews here & on other sites I thought Sennheiser 598s would be a good choice based on my preferred musical genres/gaming & they were within budget delivering well extended highs, good mid range, sound stage & imaging.  The drawbacks of these phones that concerned me were the comments relating to the lows bass/sub bass being 'very light'.

I'm not a womp-womp uber bass head anymore but I do want my new phones to deliver adequate low range punch should I ever desire to take a trip down memory lane.

New phones do not need to be used on mobile devices & sound isolation is also not a requirement.

So to address this light bass issue I've decided to up my budget to around £350 ($550) to see if this helps, it'd be awesome if you guys can throw up some options which you feel maybe suitable for me so I can go read the reviews.

Thx in advance for your time... 

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #22,379 of 29,490
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new pair of cans which will replace my trusty DT770 pro 250s.
To me the DT770s are super comfy, though sound-wise I found them just a bit too bass-oriented/emphasized. Basically I'm looking for a replacement which is closed, has a detachable cable, is *slightly* less bass-oriented than my DT770s, but is as comfortable. Price range; ~$300.

I appreciate your input :)

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #22,380 of 29,490
Hello!

Looking for a headphone in the 100 - 200 euro price range, intended for indoor purposes only, and will mainly listen via my laptop or sometimes my Iphone 3GS. I listen to metal and trap/dirty south. In regards to metal, things like The Acaia Strain, Emmure... Regarding trap music, anything from the classic 3-6 to Chief Keef, Gucci Mane, Young Dolph. I also plan to use them for listening to movies.

I do like a tight bass for trap, but not sure if this would benefit my metal as well. The only headphones I've used in my life are some 20 year old Sennheiser HD 540 Reference II headphones, which are great for classical music. I have listened to Beats and must say they please me but I've heard there's much better stuff out there for that price.

I've been looking at M-Audio Q40's so far, but as this is going to be an investment for the next decade, I want to get as much options listed as possible.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back