++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 16, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #22,306 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm going through a terrible time as I'm stuck in a very noisy office. There is a major renovation work upstairs and the jackhammering is driving me crazy! I once used Peltor Optime 105 over some foam earplugs, but even then the sound still went through. The work is supposed to last more than two weeks, so I'm in desperate need of a pair of noise isolating headphones (or earphones) with some white noise on to keep me mentally stable.

The drilling lasts for 3 minutes at most and occurs every few minutes. Are noise cancelling headphones effective at this kind of intermittent noise? Or should I buy a pair of noise isolating headphones and crank up the volume? My budget is around $100-150 dollars, but can go over if there's something really good. Thanks~

Etymotic HF5 with foamies/ Shure olives would work well.

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #22,307 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm finally getting around to buying my first pair of decent headphones. I've been putting it off but the time has come. I've been researching for a bit now and my choices have fallen down to these three. (Recommendations are welcome). Financially, my choices are the Audio Technica ATH-M50's, the AKG K550's or the Shure SRH 840's. I listen to all genres of music basically with exceptions to dance/techno. Mainly listen to most forms of rock/alternative. I'm really looking for an all rounder. I'm not a bass-head per se however, I wouldn't want a complete lack of it. I guess I'm looking for a more neutral closed back pair that wouldn't be too difficult to run. Would be used mainly with 160gb iPod Classic or for recording purposes. I was also looking into the fiio portable amplifier range and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding these products. Thanks in advance.

Out of those three, the SRH-840 would be your best pick. It's a very neutral sounding headphone that can be used for both music and recording very well. As for an amp, I would go for the PA2V2 or cMoy BB. If you're willing to spend a bit more, the FiiO E17 would be ideal.

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #22,308 of 29,490
Quote:
Out of those three, the SRH-840 would be your best pick. It's a very neutral sounding headphone that can be used for both music and recording very well. As for an amp, I would go for the PA2V2 or cMoy BB. If you're willing to spend a bit more, the FiiO E17 would be ideal.

Thanks for your response. I was inclined to go for them but I was a bit hesitant as I want to make the right choice. Would they give the best sound reprodution in your opinion? Whats their soundstage like? I'm currently using an old pair of Technics RP-F290's so you know what I'm working with. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to the more advanced side of headphones such as Amp's and DAC's. Would an e5 or e6 be sufficient with these cans or would an e17 be beneficial toward the sound quality? Again, thanks in advance.

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #22,309 of 29,490
Hello, I'm looking for good, audiophile around-the-ear headphones that cost no more than $150. Right now, I'm looking at AKG K240, Audio Technica ATH-M50, and Sennheiser HD 518. Out of these three, which do you think is the best choice? Is there anything better? Thanks for the help.

Also, if it helps, I listen to pretty much everything but mainly black metal and dark ambient.

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #22,310 of 29,490
Hello all, I've been in the market for new headphones for a week or two now.

I'm a singer, and will be recording stuff here soon, and I'd like to know what's considered a decent pair for recording? The only full-sized headphones I ever owned were the old Bose Tri-Ports, which I think are rebranded as the AE2's now. All I heard about was how overrated Bose was, and now it seems the Beats brand has overtaken them as most overpriced/overrated headphones.

I was pretty close to snatching up a pair of Beats Studio (just because I tried them in best buy and liked them, but I'm sure there's other brands out there that cost less with better quality).

I've heard about Sennheiser, Shure, etc. being decent brands to start off with.

But I'm not an audiophile (although I have tons of FLAC music files and converted them to 320 mp3s for my mp3 player), so I have no idea where to even begin!

If possible, I'd like it if the pair I bought was also good for listening to music as well not just recording it. I listen to all sorts of music, rap/hip hop, r&b, pop, rock, 80's, 70's, 60's, 50's, rat pack, classical, etc. If I have to buy one pair just for listening on the side and one pair for recording, I'd consider it, but I'd hope there was a really good all-around headphone pair already out there for both.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #22,311 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for your response. I was inclined to go for them but I was a bit hesitant as I want to make the right choice. Would they give the best sound reprodution in your opinion? Whats their soundstage like? I'm currently using an old pair of Technics RP-F290's so you know what I'm working with. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to the more advanced side of headphones such as Amp's and DAC's. Would an e5 or e6 be sufficient with these cans or would an e17 be beneficial toward the sound quality? Again, thanks in advance.

Well, if you want soundstage with a closed can, then I would point you to the Beyerdynamic DT770. I don't personally know how they compare with the 840, but from all of the closed cans I've used, the DT770 has the largest soundstage in its price range. Both the 840 and the DT770 would benefit MUCH more from the E17, especially if you decided to get the 250 ohm version of the DT770. The E5/E6 wouldn't do much for them, in my opinion. They don't give enough power to be really beneficial other than just making headphones louder. The E17 is much better than the PA2V2 and cMoy BB, especially considering the built-in DAC, but all of those would be a lot better than the E5 or E6. 

The DT770 gives a nice balanced sound overall with an exceptionally large soundstage over other closed cans. It is EXTREMELY comfortable, due to the fact that it has velour padding. Does NOT fold up.
The SRH-840 is a bit more versatile, since it can be powered a bit better without an amp, and folds up. Pleather pads may reduce comfort over the velour. These cans fold up.

So bottom line
No amp - SRH 840
E5/E6 - SRH 840
PA2V2, cMoy BB, E17 - DT770 Pro (80 or 250 ohm will work in this situation), or SRH840 if you like the way they fold/work a bit more than the DT770.

Both will benefit largely with the better amps instead of the E5/E6

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #22,312 of 29,490
This may be the last question i ask: Does the HE-400 require a dac to sound good? I plan on using it with a schiit magni amp, into a computer, nothing else.

Like i said before i would get an inexpensive fiio dac if u don't wanna spring for the odac or modi or similar. The difference in dacs isn't going to be as drastic as differences in headphones or even amps. However using your pc audio out you are quite likely to have noise or other issues. With such high quality gear i would at minimum run a decent reputable sound card or the e10 and just use the dac section of it if u have maxed out your budget.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #22,313 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm finally getting around to buying my first pair of decent headphones. I've been putting it off but the time has come. I've been researching for a bit now and my choices have fallen down to these three. (Recommendations are welcome). Financially, my choices are the Audio Technica ATH-M50's, the AKG K550's or the Shure SRH 840's. I listen to all genres of music basically with exceptions to dance/techno. Mainly listen to most forms of rock/alternative. I'm really looking for an all rounder. I'm not a bass-head per se however, I wouldn't want a complete lack of it. I guess I'm looking for a more neutral closed back pair that wouldn't be too difficult to run. Would be used mainly with 160gb iPod Classic or for recording purposes. I was also looking into the fiio portable amplifier range and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding these products. Thanks in advance.

K550's would definitely be ahead of the M50 and SRH840 in terms of overall sound quality, comfort and build quality. Their sound resolution, or "fidelity" is considerably higher than both of those, and they have a bigger soundstage, better detail, better mids, etc. All in all, I don't see M50 or SRH840 competing with K550 at all. Maybe SRH940 would be a better comparison. K550 is the most neutral as well. Less bass than either, but still enough of it.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #22,314 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all, I've been in the market for new headphones for a week or two now.

I'm a singer, and will be recording stuff here soon, and I'd like to know what's considered a decent pair for recording? The only full-sized headphones I ever owned were the old Bose Tri-Ports, which I think are rebranded as the AE2's now. All I heard about was how overrated Bose was, and now it seems the Beats brand has overtaken them as most overpriced/overrated headphones.

I was pretty close to snatching up a pair of Beats Studio (just because I tried them in best buy and liked them, but I'm sure there's other brands out there that cost less with better quality).

I've heard about Sennheiser, Shure, etc. being decent brands to start off with.

But I'm not an audiophile (although I have tons of FLAC music files and converted them to 320 mp3s for my mp3 player), so I have no idea where to even begin!

If possible, I'd like it if the pair I bought was also good for listening to music as well not just recording it. I listen to all sorts of music, rap/hip hop, r&b, pop, rock, 80's, 70's, 60's, 50's, rat pack, classical, etc. If I have to buy one pair just for listening on the side and one pair for recording, I'd consider it, but I'd hope there was a really good all-around headphone pair already out there for both.

The Sennheiser HD25-1 II might be what you're looking for, sound wise. However, do note they're supraaural and not circumaural.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #22,315 of 29,490
Quote:

The Sennheiser HD25-1 II might be what you're looking for, sound wise. However, do note they're supraaural and not circumaural.

Pardon my illiteracy, but can you explain a little in detail what do you mean when you say supraaural vs. circumaural. I googled the terms but am not getting your message.

EDIT: I found it.

I would be looking for a full-sized pair that go all the way around if possible.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #22,316 of 29,490
Quote:
Pardon my illiteracy, but can you explain a little in detail what do you mean when you say supraaural vs. circumaural. I googled the terms but am not getting your message.

EDIT: I found it.

I would be looking for a full-sized pair that go all the way around if possible.

Glad to see you found out the meaning. I should've explained it better.

For full-size headphones that fit your criteria, you might want to look into the Shure SRH840 and Ultrasone Pro 550.

Dec 16, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #22,317 of 29,490
Hello, I'm wondering if I should get wireless headphones or a wireless headset; which is better?

I want to be able to talk to others in things such as online games on PC.  I want over the ear.  My budget is $150-$180

Also, I want one that can work without having to use a USB adapter.

Dec 16, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #22,319 of 29,490
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a pair of closed-back, over the ear headphones sometime after Christmas. For my portable use, I currently have a pair of Shure SE315's and used to have a pair of SE420's. For my at home/library/Starbucks use (I'm a student), I use a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50's. 

I love the M50's for their price, comfort, look, and sound quality. However, last semester, my roommate's dog (don't get me started) bit into the wire pretty heavily (he particularly loved the coily part). My dad is great with electronics, so he cut off the section the dog bit and put the wires back together. They still sound decent, but I can't help thinking I've lost some sound quality along the way. The cable is also really short now.

In terms of music, I listen to a really wide variety of music, but nothing that's generally very bass heavy. I'd like a solid bass response, but booming bass isn't something I want or need. Lately, I've been into a lot of ambient/drone, post-rock, classical, etc. (Hammock, Kyle Bobby Dunn, Caspian, Russian Circles, Erik Satie, Alcest - this is probably my favorite genre). I'm also getting more into jazzy type things (Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Jaga Jazzist, Snarky Puppy). I really enjoy folky, singer-songwriter artists (Tallest Man On Earth, Bon Iver, Andrew Bird), and am a big fan of popular indie artists (term used loosely) like Grizzly Bear, The National, Radiohead, etc. Lastly, I sometimes enjoy 'heavy' music. Not anything metal, though...think of it more as instrumental, down-tuned guitar riffs with some punk thrown in there for good measure.

I'm looking for something in the $200-300 range. I download all my music in V0 or 320 and listen primarily through my MacBook and my iPod classic. I don't really plan to dabble in any DAC's or amps until I start working next year, so keep that in mind. 

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back