++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 13, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #22,186 of 29,490
I'm going to say anything within reason, considering the knowledge of my lack of experience. I had in mind a figure between $75 & $175 to...break my ears in. And go from there.
open - DT880

Closed -
KRK KNS 8400 (you might need to EQ the bass a bit for your preference)
ATH M50

recommend Fiio E10 to pair with the 880 for $45 dollars at adorama. It would be helpful with the KRKs too for bass boost.

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #22,192 of 29,490
bump..

New here on Head-Fi, hoping you guys could help me with a decision.

I've been thinking about getting a better set of phones but I can't decide between these headphones;
Focal Spirit One,
Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio

I'd prefer one with a more universal approach to the sound as I can't really give a few specific genres of music, interests change from time, but as of now I listen to Drum and Bass, acoustic and Jazz music more often. Portability does not really matter to me, and I'm prepared to shell out for either pair of headphones and an amp if needed.

And after that, would any of the two headphones benefit from an Amp? I was thinking about getting one of Fiio's amps like the E17 and E09K if they could significantly increase the SQ.

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #22,193 of 29,490
Hey everyone, I'm new to the world of headphones and am looking for some for ~$100. I plan to use them at my desktop.  I'm using them for music, and gaming. I listen to a variety of rock and the gaming sound is second to the sound for music. I don't have a preference on open vs closed headphones. I tried out both Grado sr60i's and Sennheiser HD428's. I love how the Grados sound, but they get hot pretty fast.

The Grados weren't as uncomfortable as I have heard, but I am looking for something more comfortable/cooler. The pads on the Grados covered the driver, (they were the solid foam circle version, not the L-Cush). Would an around ear phone be better for me? I have large ears and the HD428's bend the tops of my ears down, or sit on top of them.

Thanks for taking a look at my post.

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #22,195 of 29,490
I’m looking to get a set of headphones for my dad. Nothing extreme, in the $100–$200 range for price. He plays a lot of acoustic guitar but just recently bought an electric. I’m getting these headphones partially as an “You can use these with your electric so as not to bug mom,” but also to get my dad a little into the world of good headphones.

I’ve had a few ideas. Mostly the Sennheiser 558 or the Grado SR125i. I even considered the Philips CitiScape Uptown but am concerned about the cable. Open or closed, no preference. My intention is that they will be mostly used in the house or in his office (not a shared space).

In terms of music, my dad listens to a lot of Beatles, John Prime… Lot of folk music, a bit of jazz, fair bit of blues and rhythm and blues. Given the sorts of speakers he’s bought in the past I’m betting a more neutral sound signature would be his preference. Either way, I’m sure he’d respond to go headphones.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #22,196 of 29,490
Quote:
I’m looking to get a set of headphones for my dad. Nothing extreme, in the $100–$200 range for price. He plays a lot of acoustic guitar but just recently bought an electric. I’m getting these headphones partially as an “You can use these with your electric so as not to bug mom,” but also to get my dad a little into the world of good headphones.
I’ve had a few ideas. Mostly the Sennheiser 558 or the Grado SR125i. I even considered the Philips CitiScape Uptown but am concerned about the cable. Open or closed, no preference. My intention is that they will be mostly used in the house or in his office (not a shared space).
In terms of music, my dad listens to a lot of Beatles, John Prime… Lot of folk music, a bit of jazz, fair bit of blues and rhythm and blues. Given the sorts of speakers he’s bought in the past I’m betting a more neutral sound signature would be his preference. Either way, I’m sure he’d respond to go headphones.
Any suggestions would be welcome!

I personally would get either the Takstar Hi2050, which can be had for about $70 on eBay, or the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80, which is around $160 on eBay, and $230 on Amazon. Both should do him justice. I feel that the Takstar would honestly be somewhat better for him. I actually just did a 'First Impressions' post on those, which can be found here http://www.head-fi.org/t/641024/takstar-hi2050-first-impressions, if you want to read my thoughts on them so far. There's also a thread dedicated to those headphones, which I also just posted my 'First Impressions' thing to, which is here http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-thread

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #22,197 of 29,490
Quote:
Any idea how the ATH-AD700 fare by comparison? I realize the price difference is huge, but they've got excellent reviews.

In the US, the AD700 is less expensive than the other choices you mentioned.  It can be bought now at amazon.com for about $110, and this is a little higher than the usual price.  It has a natural balance, with an airy, spacious soundstage.  I find it very good for classical music.  It does not need an amp.  Many find it light in the bass. I say that it has a very musical, non-resonant bass.  It is open, very large, light, and, to most (including me), very comfortable.  Some, however, find that it does not clamp sufficiently and moves too easily to be truly comfortable.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #22,198 of 29,490
Looking for a pair that is super comftorable, has a bass emphasis, folds, over ear and under $200.
Mostly listen to rap, starting to get into some AC/DC style music.
M50- not enough bass?
HFI 580- not very comftorable
DT770- doesnt fold
Q-40- not comftorable
D2000- doesnt isolate well
Pro 550- way to big looking
Pro700Mk2- not comfy

Am I mistaken on anything? What are my other options?

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #22,200 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for a pair that is super comftorable, has a bass emphasis, folds, over ear and under $200.
Mostly listen to rap, starting to get into some AC/DC style music.
M50- not enough bass?
HFI 580- not very comftorable
DT770- doesnt fold
Q-40- not comftorable
D2000- doesnt isolate well
Pro 550- way to big looking
Pro700Mk2- not comfy

Am I mistaken on anything? What are my other options?

Monoprice MHP-839

This is somewhat of a joke suggestion, but it suits your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back