++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 13, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #22,171 of 29,490
Hi Head-fi!

I'd like some help from the experts please
Budget: $300
Music: Dubstep, bass heavy. Drum and bass sometimes.
Use: Outdoors commuting, hooked up to my iphone 5 (guess I need low impedance). I do not want a portable AMP.
Design: Prefer industrial design sort of like the Custom One Pro's

Essentially I love the look of the Custom One Pro's and reviews seem decent enough. Are there any alternatives for quality bass so powerful it may induce the defecation of one's liver?

UE 6000

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #22,173 of 29,490
Quote:
What is the most durable headphone for about $500? I heard good things about shure so what do you guys think?

How do you plan on using them? Are you very active and plan on taking them with you everywhere you go, or are you concerned with build quality?

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #22,174 of 29,490
What is the most durable headphone for about $500? I heard good things about shure so what do you guys think?

Are you asking for durability because you plan to use it on the go a lot? It would be helpful if you provided more information on what you are trying to accomplish in terms of sound and use and we can give you some good recommendations that may even cost you less than your budget.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #22,175 of 29,490
Hi guys,
Im wondering if Hifiman HE-400 is a decent upgrade from Denon ahd2000's, or its more of a side-grade?
I am pretty happy with the sound of Denons, but want to explore something a bit spacey.

I should probably add few more details, Im using LittleDot I+ amp and occasionally e17 when Im on the go, or letting tubes cool down.
In UK price for Hifiman HE-400 seems to be pretty much double of Denons, however some comments coloured them as more of a side-grade.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #22,176 of 29,490
Quote:
Are you asking for durability because you plan to use it on the go a lot? It would be helpful if you provided more information on what you are trying to accomplish in terms of sound and use and we can give you some good recommendations that may even cost you less than your budget.

I currently have LCD3's but I am thinking about selling them because they didn't suit my needs. I find them to be kind of fragile and not portable at all so I'm looking to replace them with something more portable and durable like maybe DJ headphones. I do like a lot of base by the way.
I am a uni student here in Sydney so I like them to be very comfortable, portable and most importantly durable in terms of build quality.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #22,177 of 29,490
I found several options on Dakmart that opens up my price range a bit. As a M50 owner, I am a noob and need advice in purchasing a better quality headphone. I have no amp or dac and do not want to lose my shirt acquiring one. I plan on buying one eventually, however, not at big dollars. Any help is appreciated. 

Can afford any of the hd 598, 600, or 650 from Dakmart

Additionally, could pick up the Denon ah-d5000 if it is significantly better than the above, although I would like a nice soundstage and the open headphones appeal to me as I am going to retain the M50s.

Can anyone recommend between these headphones and let me know if Dakmart is not reputable? I have good experience with refurbs overall.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #22,178 of 29,490
I currently have LCD3's but I am thinking about selling them because they didn't suit my needs. I find them to be kind of fragile and not portable at all so I'm looking to replace them with something more portable and durable like maybe DJ headphones. I do like a lot of base by the way.
I am a uni student here in Sydney so I like them to be very comfortable, portable and most importantly durable in terms of build quality.

DT1350 ($300usd retail) can be found as low as $240 new. They have metal construction, the cups are from a very well made thick plastic with aluminum caps on the outside (mainly for cosmetics actually). The metal can be bent so if you are planning on sitting on them or something they prolly aren't for you.

Honestly based on Tyll's comparison of the Amperior to the HD25-1 I would say they are your ticket. The HD25 is supremely durable and the only real difference between the two is the machined aluminum cups compared to plastic cups. Plus removable/replaceable cable and all that is a plus obviously for long term durability.

I am going to say the Beyer is more comfortable with less clamp force. It has very fast tight bass and good low bass extension but not boomy bass if that is what you are looking for. Although I am told the bass is just ridiculous with the Digizoid Z02 portable amp. Not really my bag so never tried it.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #22,179 of 29,490
Quote:
DT1350 ($300usd retail) can be found as low as $240 new. They have metal construction, the cups are from a very well made thick plastic with aluminum caps on the outside (mainly for cosmetics actually). The metal can be bent so if you are planning on sitting on them or something they prolly aren't for you.
Honestly based on Tyll's comparison of the Amperior to the HD25-1 I would say they are your ticket. The HD25 is supremely durable and the only real difference between the two is the machined aluminum cups compared to plastic cups. Plus removable/replaceable cable and all that is a plus obviously for long term durability.
I am going to say the Beyer is more comfortable with less clamp force. It has very fast tight bass and good low bass extension but not boomy bass if that is what you are looking for. Although I am told the bass is just ridiculous with the Digizoid Z02 portable amp. Not really my bag so never tried it.

Ok, thank you for the recommendation.
I will probably get the Beyer once I sell the LCD3.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #22,180 of 29,490
**Very airy/detailed headphones for EDM <$300 that can compete with sennheiser ie8 unamped**

So Ive had dt770, xb700 and the ie8's.. i ditched the 770's a while ago because they just didn't hit the spot with regards to mids/highs.. then i swiched to xb700 which were good  for a while and then finally one day I tried my ie8's on the computer and despite them being IEM's the detail/clarity blew the rest out of the water.. they're nearly perfect for EDM, specially trance but as an IEM they just aren't as airy and natural sounding (like speakers) as i'd like them to be.. should I even bother trying to replace these at this price range? so im mainly looking for something with that sounds airy/detailed/decent bass/soundstage with depth, but i'm afraid ill waste my money on a headphone that isn't going to match the ie8's detail/clarity... i was thinking akg k/167/267 or maybe even k701

Obviously I'd need an open headphone right? is there any with decent bass for EDM?

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #22,181 of 29,490
So, this is my first post, and I'm genuinely hopeful about using this forum as a source for a good decision. 

I guess you would say I'm a rocker, through and through. It's literally all that I listen to, so that makes this easier, I presume. While I do enjoy different sub-genres, they're pretty much all within rock.

I'm looking for something for home use, and the office as well, depending on my options. I won't require mobility.

Like many out there, I've only ever had headphones that ran me no more than $50. I've taken a listen to several pseudo-high-end pairs, like Beats, etc. I agree about the muddy feel, and that isn't worth a couple hundred bucks, imo.

I prefer a high amount of bass in both the accuracy and depth perspectives. I don't know how achievable this is, with my very limited knowledge, and even further limited experience.

If I'd be better suited with 2 different pairs (home + office), I'm up for that too.

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #22,182 of 29,490
Quote:

Interesting, as far as durability goes I'm always hearing bad things about the Shures.

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #22,183 of 29,490
So, this is my first post, and I'm genuinely hopeful about using this forum as a source for a good decision. 

I guess you would say I'm a rocker, through and through. It's literally all that I listen to, so that makes this easier, I presume. While I do enjoy different sub-genres, they're pretty much all within rock.

I'm looking for something for home use, and the office as well, depending on my options. I won't require mobility.

Like many out there, I've only ever had headphones that ran me no more than $50. I've taken a listen to several pseudo-high-end pairs, like Beats, etc. I agree about the muddy feel, and that isn't worth a couple hundred bucks, imo.

I prefer a high amount of bass in both the accuracy and depth perspectives. I don't know how achievable this is, with my very limited knowledge, and even further limited experience.

If I'd be better suited with 2 different pairs (home + office), I'm up for that too.
budget?

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #22,185 of 29,490
Any recommendation for closed headphones under $100? I use the JVC HARX700 right now, and I absolutely love they way they fit, but I'm looking for something with more isolation (the HARX700 are semi-open) with similar comfort. I've already tried the CALs, and while I loved the sound, I did not like the way they fit (cups were too small). I've seen the Shure SRH440 recommended a lot at this price range. Anyone have experience with them? My main priorities are comfort and isolation, and I'll be using these headphones mostly for gaming and rock music. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back