++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 10, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #22,036 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi :) I have a question and I hope you could be of help. I've been lurking here for some time now. Here it goes:

Two months ago my AKG K550 were accidentely thrown away (don't ask). I thought it was a great time for a change and through an offer I could obtain a free pair of Grado RS60..... and I really like them, especially after I bought some donut cushions for them.

My setup is:

96khz (or 88.2khz) /24bit FLACs --> played in Amarra (I thought it had more a tube like sound than pure music when I ran the trials) -->

--> Audioquest DragonFly --> Grado SR60 with donut cushions

In all honesty, against what I expected I prefer the Grado RS60 over my AKG K550's. The sound seems more upfront, and the bass is rounder and more detailed. Also the separation seems less analytical and more natural. However, I still want better headphones because I can sometimes hear that the headphones don't pull it off where my hi end audio system does. I'm willing to spend about 400 euro max (that is about 500 dollars) on a new pair, preferably less. 

Some of the music I want to buy the headphones for are in non-specific order: Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Dire Straits, Nirvana, Kyuss, Nick Drake, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, John Martyn, Cat Stevens, Alice in Chains, Jeff Buckley, David Bowie, The Beatles. I do listen to classical and sometimes R&B but for me the guitar music is 85% of what I listen. 

So with the SR60 and my setup in mind what should I buy? I'm think about the SR325is but I am a bit a afraid that I will find the Grado SR325is a bit to harsh on the treble (and I don't like that). I tried some Denons and Senheisers but often I either think the sound is to far away or it the bass is to muddy. I really like it upfront with a good separation. 

Thank you :)

If SR325is to shrill for you, you can get the MS2i (still upfront, but with more relaxed treble). is there any audio store in your area so you can do some demo on headphones that you mention?

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #22,038 of 29,490
gday fellas Im in a bit of a pickle as im losing my drivers license for 12 moths so I'll be catching the train for about 12 months so i thought it would be worth investing in some good headphones, im guessing i want sound cancelling ( train noise) and ill have about $500 to spend as i really want some good ones ,I mostly listen to rap and metal if that makes any difference to what you reccomend
thanks guys

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #22,039 of 29,490
Quote:
gday fellas Im in a bit of a pickle as im losing my drivers license for 12 moths so I'll be catching the train for about 12 months so i thought it would be worth investing in some good headphones, im guessing i want sound cancelling ( train noise) and ill have about $500 to spend as i really want some good ones ,I mostly listen to rap and metal if that makes any difference to what you reccomend
thanks guys

Well I think you would be better off purchasing some great in ear headphones with a great fit as to minimize outside noise and because to be frank the majority of noise cancelling headphones don't sound as good as they cost.

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #22,040 of 29,490
Quote:
alright thanks! I've heard that the 650s can have muddy bass is that true? Which is faser for those genres? I only have a fiio e6 right now but what amp should I upgrade to? Which has better mids? Sorry for all the questions.
tongue.gif
and thanks youre one of the few people that has answered me haha.

No the bass on the 650 is more accentuated than the 600's, as for amplification and dacs there is a whole thread about that in the forums but one thing is for sure that e6 isn't going to do them justice. The 650 is actually really well known for having incredible sounding mids.

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #22,041 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey all.

I'm planning on getting my first "reasonable" pair of headphones. Effectively, I'm looking for a reasonably cheap, decent set that suits my needs of mostly music and gaming (probably about 50-50, although gaming's not a major concern). I mostly listen to electronic, trance - type music (although excessive dubstep isn't in my tastes), as well as some rock. I'm looking in a sub-$100 catagory, although I don't mind going slightly over this if necessary.

I've done quite a fair amount of research (head-fi forums are awesome!), although I'd like some final opinions on what I've found. Generally, I'd be wearing the cans for some extended periods of time - I do a fair amount of gaming and programming. I care about comfort, although being open/closed phones doesn't really affect my decision.

JVC HAR-X700/X900's - These have been primarily what I've been looking at, although I still can't figure which set would suit me best. From the substantial thread I've seen, I gather the X700's are accepted to be better in most circumstances. But I'm quite enthused by the apparent comfort of the X900's, especially as they're only $10 more than the X700's. Is this something to notice, or even consider?

Sennheiser HD 202's - I've thrown this in, as I've heard good things, although I suspect I'll do better with other phones.

Shure SRH 440's - These may well be a extremely good choice for me, but I've found no definitive comparisons with other cans. These are also right on my price limit (where I live). I've only been questioning whether the extra $30 over JVC's are worthwhile, or indeed whether the jump to M50's is worthwhile.

AT ATH-M50's - Although these slightly bypass my $100 limit, I've only read good things about these. I just question whether, for my first pair of phones, these are over the top. I'm fine with spending more if it's worth it, but are these a worthy upgrade from the others listed?

Oh, and  I don't think i'll be using an amp, (mainly just directly off TV or computer, possibly iPod).

Any input would be greatly appreciated, as I'm a bit out of my depth at the moment. Also, any other suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks in advance ^_^

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm also getting a pair of Meelectronic M6's, If that has any effect on the decision. Sorry for the lengthy and rambling post.

You could probably find the M-50's for under $110 dollars or buy some cheaper ones of the forums. The m-50 is widely regarded as an amazing headphone because of sound, the m-50 is truly a value because it sounds like a much more expensive headphone. But it also depends on your preferences for sound signature, the m-50 and the shure's from what I have heard have more bass. I don't have any experience with JVC or the 202. But I have owned some Sennheiser 555's and the sound from those was very open and clean but they lacked bass, and I think they cost me the same as the m-50's and I much prefer the m-50's. Well technically, they aren't your first headphones you bought the M6's so you are allowed to splurge now :) ?

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #22,042 of 29,490
Quote:

If SR325is to shrill for you, you can get the MS2i (still upfront, but with more relaxed treble). is there any audio store in your area so you can do some demo on headphones that you mention?

Thanks! I took up on your advice (yeah that fast) I read many reviews on the MS2i and just ordered one from the traders part here. From what I read, they are just the thing I'm looking for. And if not, I'll just sale it again. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #22,043 of 29,490
This is actually the first time I've been back on headfi in a while. My sr60i's were the reason I got into high end audio. I'm thinking about picking up another pair of grados because my sr60's broke a couple months ago. I'm not sure what model to get though. I was thinking the sr325 or 225, but if the higher end models are absolutly amazing I might save my money for a pair of those. Also, any amps that go good with grados?

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #22,044 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks! I took up on your advice (yeah that fast) I read many reviews on the MS2i and just ordered one from the traders part here. From what I read, they are just the thing I'm looking for. And if not, I'll just sale it again. 

You're welcome, hope you like it, don't forget to visit the Grado's thread even though the MS2i is an Alessandro product's
beerchug.gif

Quote:
This is actually the first time I've been back on headfi in a while. My sr60i's were the reason I got into high end audio. I'm thinking about picking up another pair of grados because my sr60's broke a couple months ago. I'm not sure what model to get though. I was thinking the sr325 or 225, but if the higher end models are absolutly amazing I might save my money for a pair of those. Also, any amps that go good with grados?

Well the sr325 is a step up from the sr60i, but if you want a real upgrade in grados you should check the RS1i/MS-Pro (the MS-Pro have wider soundstage than the RS1i). About amps, the fiio e17 is pretty good deal

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #22,045 of 29,490
New to the forums, joined for headphones recommendation. I primarily listen to heavy metal and dubstep. I will also listen to classics like Bob Dylan and pop music from time to time. I use my Android phone, a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, for all my mp3 needs. I realize the music I listen to may require an equalizer, and currently Google Music does not integrate with Poweramp. All the songs on my phone are 320 kbps because I buy from the Android market place. I was looking at a pair of Sony MDR7506's because they got such stellar reviews on Amazon, but a lot of people seem to be griping that the bass isn't the best. Now I've always been under the impression that for these types of music the treble should be up more and the bass a little but lower than the treble. I look for  things like how a bass drop sounds (haha, sad I know but I love them!), and the crisp, clearness of the music. I originally asked for a pair of Beats but the price was so outrageous that I renigged on them after reading a bunch of reviews, and want something that is worth the money. I would say I'd be willing to spend between $100 and $150 because some of the better headphones have been below the $200 price tag that comes with Beats. 

If you require any additional information, feel free to ask.

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #22,046 of 29,490
Quote:
I need some recommendations...

I need a new pair of cans for home theater use...

I prefer open to closed.
I want circumaural and large enough so that my ears do not touch the pads anywhere.
I would prefer a detachable cable.
I prefer an adjustable headband that does not rely on a pin.

Even though I will use them primarily for movies, it would be nice if they performed honorably for music as well (no particular genre).

Let's say for less than $400.

Yeah, I know, I'm demanding.

Would the Q 701 fit the bill?

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #22,047 of 29,490
Best closed headphone with a closed sound?

Basically, all my headphones have really big soundstage, including the HD650 which has opened up a surprising amount as I've used it more and more. Now I'd like to try something a little different. Looking for closed back design with a unique sound sig that isn't necessarily wide sounding but more contained and intimate. Sound leakage doesn't matter. Any suggestions for under $500?

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #22,048 of 29,490
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a set of headphones for mainly music and a tiny amount of gaming and voice chat. There are a few requirements:

- Open (I don't really like closed headphones)
- There needs to be a some bass, but not too bass heavy
- An external soundcard with volume control
- Around $100 (excluding soundcard)

Can anyone give me a few suggestions? 

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #22,049 of 29,490
so over the past few days ive been on the thread asking for headphones for my girlfriend with hyperacusis and i decided on getting the Mad Dogs or a unmodded pair of Fostex t50rp and mod them later...but im wondering if they are a good choice now because they are known to need alot of power and i dont have any headphone amps apart from using my Nad c372 stereo amp, would that be good enough for the Fostex/Mad Dogs? if so then i know what im getting :)

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #22,050 of 29,490
No the bass on the 650 is more accentuated than the 600's, as for amplification and dacs there is a whole thread about that in the forums but one thing is for sure that e6 isn't going to do them justice. The 650 is actually really well known for having incredible sounding mids.
Alright Im leaning towards the 650s thanks! And I do plan on upgrading the amp to a o2 or something like that. I hadn't heard that the 650s had impressive mids,I had heard that the 600s had the better, slightly emphasized mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back