++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 9, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #22,021 of 29,490
Hey guys I have been looking for some headphones for around $150, for music and gaming, they will be used with my asus xonar dg. For music, I listen to Rap, Rock, and R&B. I'm not a basshead, but I would like a pair of hp's that are not bass light. All suggestions are appriciated, Thanks.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #22,023 of 29,490
Hello Head-Fi members, first time poster here.

I began my journey into decent headphone sound with the Sony MDR-V6 headphones, the (NuForce Icon) uDAC-2, and physical CDs ripped into Flac format.  It's been enjoyable, but now I'm looking for another pair of headphones.

I've heard that the MDR-V6s are good for studio work, and sound engineers in that they have a reasonably flat sound and are great for hearing flaws in sounds… and that this means that they perhaps aren't the most "musical" headphones on the market :)

So having said that I'm looking for a pair of headphones that is less for monitoring sound and more for simply "enjoying" your music.

Budget: $100 - $200

Amp: (NuForce Icon) uDAC-2

Files: Physical CDs ripped to FLAC

Genres: Classical, jazz, acoustic guitar, alternative (Sarah McLachlan), folk (M. Ward).

Body Type: I'm not sure I have a preference regarding closed ear or open ear (one of my old co-workers had a pair of Grados that were "open").  I do find the MDR-V6's to be very comfortable.  However, based on my dac/amp / files / genre / sound preferences I'm more interested in what head-fi members think would suit me best (closed/open).

Sound: Obviously based on the music I listen to I'm not a bass-head, but I do appreciate a full low frequency sound.  I definitely don't want headphones that can be said to "lack" in that department.  I suppose I'm looking for something that has enough low frequency response to have a certain warmth and weight to the sound, but the last thing I want is bass spilling into places it shouldn't.  Aside from that I'd love any headphones that specialize in clear and warm piano and vocal reproduction.

My thoughts: I'm not particularly interested in "hi resolution" music files at this point in time, so one of my limiting factors is plain old FLAC files from physical CDs.  My other limiting factor is the uDAC-2.  I'm not sure how much "amp" power this digital audio converter has - it can support impedance between 16 to 300 ohm (and claims to have 2v analog output).

That said, there's no point in me "over buying" considering those limiting factors. I'm open to all suggestions and I love reading reviews of models - I'm just looking for suggestions and starting points.  Any input is appreciated :)

Thanks!!

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #22,024 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey there. I'm getting some new headphones as a Christmas gift. I'm looking in the $300 area. I like wider sounding soundstage with defined clear mids. I also need good iscolation because I like to have a pair of cans I use for both home listening and ones I can use out and about. 

Meshing all you desires in one closed can will be a bit of a challenge.  The not-so-small Shure SRH 940 may be your best bet, but you will need an amp.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #22,025 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys I have been looking for some headphones for around $150, for music and gaming, they will be used with my asus xonar dg. For music, I listen to Rap, Rock, and R&B. I'm not a basshead, but I would like a pair of hp's that are not bass light. All suggestions are appriciated, Thanks.

Maybe the Ultrasone HiFi 780.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #22,026 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello Head-Fi members, first time poster here.

I began my journey into decent headphone sound with the Sony MDR-V6 headphones, the (NuForce Icon) uDAC-2, and physical CDs ripped into Flac format.  It's been enjoyable, but now I'm looking for another pair of headphones.

I've heard that the MDR-V6s are good for studio work, and sound engineers in that they have a reasonably flat sound and are great for hearing flaws in sounds… and that this means that they perhaps aren't the most "musical" headphones on the market :)

So having said that I'm looking for a pair of headphones that is less for monitoring sound and more for simply "enjoying" your music.

Budget: $100 - $200

Amp: (NuForce Icon) uDAC-2

Files: Physical CDs ripped to FLAC

Genres: Classical, jazz, acoustic guitar, alternative (Sarah McLachlan), folk (M. Ward).

Body Type: I'm not sure I have a preference regarding closed ear or open ear (one of my old co-workers had a pair of Grados that were "open").  I do find the MDR-V6's to be very comfortable.  However, based on my dac/amp / files / genre / sound preferences I'm more interested in what head-fi members think would suit me best (closed/open).

Sound: Obviously based on the music I listen to I'm not a bass-head, but I do appreciate a full low frequency sound.  I definitely don't want headphones that can be said to "lack" in that department.  I suppose I'm looking for something that has enough low frequency response to have a certain warmth and weight to the sound, but the last thing I want is bass spilling into places it shouldn't.  Aside from that I'd love any headphones that specialize in clear and warm piano and vocal reproduction.

My thoughts: I'm not particularly interested in "hi resolution" music files at this point in time, so one of my limiting factors is plain old FLAC files from physical CDs.  My other limiting factor is the uDAC-2.  I'm not sure how much "amp" power this digital audio converter has - it can support impedance between 16 to 300 ohm (and claims to have 2v analog output).

That said, there's no point in me "over buying" considering those limiting factors. I'm open to all suggestions and I love reading reviews of models - I'm just looking for suggestions and starting points.  Any input is appreciated :)

Thanks!!

Senn HD 558 or Audio Technica ATH-AD900.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #22,027 of 29,490
I need some recommendations...

I need a new pair of cans for home theater use...

I prefer open to closed.
I want circumaural and large enough so that my ears do not touch the pads anywhere.
I would prefer a detachable cable.
I prefer an adjustable headband that does not rely on a pin.

Even though I will use them primarily for movies, it would be nice if they performed honorably for music as well (no particular genre).

Let's say for less than $400.

Yeah, I know, I'm demanding.

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #22,029 of 29,490
Been reading around a bit and looking for a good pair of closed cans for under $200.

Looking for something to run for laptop and iphone 4s, so ideally something that runs really well without an amp.

Some of the ones I've looked are the M50, K167, and the COP, though I am open to any suggestions.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #22,030 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe the Ultrasone HiFi 780.

Thanks for the suggestion. Is their a large difference between the hfi 780 and the 580's? I have also heard the 580's were good for gaming.

The 580's are basshead cans.  The 780 has strong bass without wandering into that territory.

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #22,031 of 29,490
Quote:
Been reading around a bit and looking for a good pair of closed cans for under $200.

Looking for something to run for laptop and iphone 4s, so ideally something that runs really well without an amp.

Some of the ones I've looked are the M50, K167, and the COP, though I am open to any suggestions.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #22,032 of 29,490
Quote:

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Mixture of 192/320 kbps mp3, things streamed off of soundcloud/mixcloud, and some FLAC, but also looking for something to use for movies and the occasional gaming.

As far as sound signature while I have picked up some of the lingo on here from reading around, though my description might not be very accurate. If I had to say probably say I'm a fan of "angelic" vocals and while I like bass probably not a bass-head (clarity more important than amplitude).

Genres of music would be electronic (house/trance/trap/dubstep), some pop, some classical (though I listen to all sorts of stuff). 

Let me know if any additional information would be helpful, thanks.

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #22,033 of 29,490
Hey all.

I'm planning on getting my first "reasonable" pair of headphones. Effectively, I'm looking for a reasonably cheap, decent set that suits my needs of mostly music and gaming (probably about 50-50, although gaming's not a major concern). I mostly listen to electronic, trance - type music (although excessive dubstep isn't in my tastes), as well as some rock. I'm looking in a sub-$100 catagory, although I don't mind going slightly over this if necessary.

I've done quite a fair amount of research (head-fi forums are awesome!), although I'd like some final opinions on what I've found. Generally, I'd be wearing the cans for some extended periods of time - I do a fair amount of gaming and programming. I care about comfort, although being open/closed phones doesn't really affect my decision.

JVC HAR-X700/X900's - These have been primarily what I've been looking at, although I still can't figure which set would suit me best. From the substantial thread I've seen, I gather the X700's are accepted to be better in most circumstances. But I'm quite enthused by the apparent comfort of the X900's, especially as they're only $10 more than the X700's. Is this something to notice, or even consider?

Sennheiser HD 202's - I've thrown this in, as I've heard good things, although I suspect I'll do better with other phones.

Shure SRH 440's - These may well be a extremely good choice for me, but I've found no definitive comparisons with other cans. These are also right on my price limit (where I live). I've only been questioning whether the extra $30 over JVC's are worthwhile, or indeed whether the jump to M50's is worthwhile.

AT ATH-M50's - Although these slightly bypass my $100 limit, I've only read good things about these. I just question whether, for my first pair of phones, these are over the top. I'm fine with spending more if it's worth it, but are these a worthy upgrade from the others listed?

Oh, and  I don't think i'll be using an amp, (mainly just directly off TV or computer, possibly iPod).

Any input would be greatly appreciated, as I'm a bit out of my depth at the moment. Also, any other suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks in advance ^_^

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm also getting a pair of Meelectronic M6's, If that has any effect on the decision. Sorry for the lengthy and rambling post.

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #22,035 of 29,490
Hi :) I have a question and I hope you could be of help. I've been lurking here for some time now. Here it goes:

Two months ago my AKG K550 were accidentely thrown away (don't ask). I thought it was a great time for a change and through an offer I could obtain a free pair of Grado RS60..... and I really like them, especially after I bought some donut cushions for them.

My setup is:

96khz (or 88.2khz) /24bit FLACs --> played in Amarra (I thought it had more a tube like sound than pure music when I ran the trials) -->

--> Audioquest DragonFly --> Grado SR60 with donut cushions

In all honesty, against what I expected I prefer the Grado RS60 over my AKG K550's. The sound seems more upfront, and the bass is rounder and more detailed. Also the separation seems less analytical and more natural. However, I still want better headphones because I can sometimes hear that the headphones don't pull it off where my hi end audio system does. I'm willing to spend about 400 euro max (that is about 500 dollars) on a new pair, preferably less. 

Some of the music I want to buy the headphones for are in non-specific order: Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Dire Straits, Nirvana, Kyuss, Nick Drake, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, John Martyn, Cat Stevens, Alice in Chains, Jeff Buckley, David Bowie, The Beatles. I do listen to classical and sometimes R&B but for me the guitar music is 85% of what I listen. 

So with the SR60 and my setup in mind what should I buy? I'm think about the SR325is but I am a bit a afraid that I will find the Grado SR325is a bit to harsh on the treble (and I don't like that). I tried some Denons and Senheisers but often I either think the sound is to far away or it the bass is to muddy. I really like it upfront with a good separation. 

Thank you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back