++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #21,976 of 29,490
Quote:

How about a middle ground? The Audinst HUD-mx1 is a nice DAC-amp unit for its price, lacking optical input but being either AC powered or USB powered, and is within your specified budget.

From what i see on their website, it looks very good. I'll try to learn more about it.

I might end up with this (Or similar) if someone can tell me if i don't need a DAC to watch movies.

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #21,977 of 29,490
Quote:
From what i see on their website, it looks very good. I'll try to learn more about it.

I might end up with this (Or similar) if someone can tell me if i don't need a DAC to watch movies.

If you're currently using an onboard audio chip, then a DAC will definitely improve all audio playback, be it from music, games or movies.

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #21,980 of 29,490
Quote:

Honestly? Yes.

What headphones and/or speakers are you using now?

Right now i'm useing 30$ cheap headphones
biggrin.gif
. But i ordered the Q701 and Fiio E11 (I bought that because i never really heard real quality, and i might upgrade later.)

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #21,981 of 29,490
Quote:

Right now i'm useing 30$ cheap headphones
biggrin.gif
. But i ordered the Q701 and Fiio E11 (I bought that because i never really heard real quality, and i might upgrade later.)

Well, running cheap (and potentially low quality) headphones won't yield that great of an improvement from an onboard audio chip to a DAC, but the improvements should still be there, although more reduced. With the Q701, the conversation changes entirely :)

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #21,982 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi again guys - ok, I'm loving my new m50's that I researched here... but... also looking for something more open sounding like my sr60's.  Price wise, $200 ish ok.  I was looking at the DT 770 pro (higher impedence models less prone to coloration by lesser amps??) or AD900's?  I like jazz, acid jazz, funk, downtempo etc... tight bass.  Hate veiled sounds, like wide open sound (no veiled highs).  Probably mostly for listening on my computer and I see the recommendation for the xonar card (so I'll probably pick one of those up too since the price is right).  KG recommended the sony SA3000DJ but I am concerned about longevity based on reviews on it. 

Hey all - one more question about this example - would there be much difference driving via a xonar dg vs e17/11?

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #21,983 of 29,490
I'm still looking for recommendations if anyone know a good DAC with Optical Input and AC charger.

If i can get alot better quality by buying a normal DAC without all these options, i rather go with that and keep the DAC for Music on my computer. (I was thinking about M-Stage + Music Streamer II for Q701)

Thank you.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #21,984 of 29,490
Howdy.  Trying to help my dad shop for a headphone solution.

Set up needs to be wireless.

Primary usages will be watching movies, playing games, and listening to classic rock.  He watches movies and games primarily on a ps3 so I would want something compatible with that, but PC compatible as well (the PC I built him does have optical out).

He would prefer a physical equalizer as he has trouble hearing certain tones and likes to adjust accordingly depending on what he's listening to.

Budget is preferably not to exceed $400 but he'd probably approach $500 for the right solution.

Thanks for your consideration.

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #21,985 of 29,490
Quote:
Heloo People! I just wanted to pass my thoughts by the people who know what they're doing!
I listen to a wide range of music, ranging from electro and dubstep to rock to classical. 
I'm after getting my first set of cans after owning some soundmagic e30 IEM's. I've always had bass booster enabled whenever I've used them, and do like the warmer, less harsh sound it produces, which lets me turn it up without the highs ripping my ears apart. I'd like my headphones to give a little more boom in the low end bass, but not so much that it ruins rock and classical music. I've read that the e30's are considered bass heavy, but to me they really don't seem it; so that leaves me unsure how  bassy a headphone to go for. I'm not planning on spending any more than around £55 ($88 - am I going to have to constantly convert pounds to dollars for you yanks? :-/ ) and don't want to have to use an amp. They'll be plugged into either my iphone or macbook pro and will only be used for when I'm sat in my room on my own, so leakage isn't an issue. This means I'm open for either open or closed cans.
Now, my plan was to wait for the Creative Aurvana Live's to come down in price on amazon - probably in january (if you check the price history using camelcamelcamel, it ranges from £70 to £35!) - as they're currently going for nearly £70. Do the CAL's seem the my best bet to you guys?

I really like the koss dj pro 100 in that price range for just about everything.

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #21,986 of 29,490
Quote:
Howdy.  Trying to help my dad shop for a headphone solution.

Set up needs to be wireless.

Primary usages will be watching movies, playing games, and listening to classic rock.  He watches movies and games primarily on a ps3 so I would want something compatible with that, but PC compatible as well (the PC I built him does have optical out).

He would prefer a physical equalizer as he has trouble hearing certain tones and likes to adjust accordingly depending on what he's listening to.

Budget is preferably not to exceed $400 but he'd probably approach $500 for the right solution.

Thanks for your consideration.

If the past serves as a guide, their is not much love for or knowledge here about wireless cans.  I suggest you look here:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-wireless

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #21,990 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys I'm new here. I got myself a pair if Sennheiser hd800. And am looking got an amp. What would you suggest

Two things: first post in the Summit-Fi section of the forum (the HD 800 is a $1,500 can).  Second, look for the HD 800 appreciation thread and check out the recommendations there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back