++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 6, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #21,871 of 29,490
Quote:
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me the detailed pros and cons of the headphones, or any others you can recommend.

From reading (correct me I am wrong) the main cons would be

sennheiser - lack of bass
audio-technica - sweaty on your ears, uncomfortable at first
V-MODA - I actually know very little about.

I listen to a lot of music as I mentioned, but also watch a lot of films and tv shows etc with headphones as I am often up late and I feel you can hear things just easier with them.

I do listen to quite a lot of hip hop, but I really do have a lot of variety in my music. I am not planning on getting an amp at the moment unless you recommend I should.

I am sorry if this question has been asked a million times.

I would realllllly appreciate any advice you could give me.

Thanks again! 

No worries, asking questions is certainly welcome here.

All those three headphones are highly regarded on the forums, so I'm sure you will enjoy whichever one you decide to get.

The biggest difference between the three (you probably knew this already) is that the HD598 are open-back, so they will leak sound quite a bit. Because of their huge circumaural earpads they will be significantly more comfortable than the other two. Also, the HD598 will be the hardest to drive of the three, and it would be better plugging them into a portable amp or at least a PC/Mac instead of an iphone.

Sound-wise they are one of the most impressive I've heard for $250. I'm sure you've read the many positive reviews of them on Head-fi and elsewhere. I would consider these to be in a whole different class than the M50S. But considering your favorite genre is hip hop, you might be disappointed in the lack of bass.

The M50s are closed-back/on-ear headphones. As you've noted, the M50 gets uncomfortable after 2-3 hours. Not the most comfortable headphone. As for the sound, it has good bass extension. Unfortunately, I found the M50 to have recessed mids and a lack of detail/sparkle in the highs. Soundstage isn't very good either, considering their closed design. A decent all-rounder, but nothing impressive. They are built like tanks, though.

I can't comment on the M80, because I haven't heard them. But they're very well-regarded here, and I'm sure someone else can fill you in.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your search.

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #21,872 of 29,490
Quote:

No worries, asking questions is certainly welcome here.

All those three headphones are highly regarded on the forums, so I'm sure you will enjoy whichever one you decide to get.

The biggest difference between the three (you probably knew this already) is that the HD598 are open-back, so they will leak sound quite a bit. Because of their huge circumaural earpads they will be significantly more comfortable than the other two. Also, the HD598 will be the hardest to drive of the three, and it would be better plugging them into a portable amp or at least a PC/Mac instead of an iphone.

Sound-wise they are one of the most impressive I've heard for $250. I'm sure you've read the many positive reviews of them on Head-fi and elsewhere. I would consider these to be in a whole different class than the M50S. But considering your favorite genre is hip hop, you might be disappointed in the lack of bass.

The M50s are closed-back/on-ear headphones. As you've noted, the M50 gets uncomfortable after 2-3 hours. Not the most comfortable headphone. As for the sound, it has good bass extension. Unfortunately, I found the M50 to have recessed mids and a lack of detail/sparkle in the highs. Soundstage isn't very good either, considering their closed design. A decent all-rounder, but nothing impressive here. They are built like tanks, though.

I can't comment on the M80, because I haven't heard them. But they're very well-regarded here, and I'm sure someone else can fill you in.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your search.

You were a great help thank you so much! I heard the bass on the HD598's was kind of how it should be, not over powering, but the right amount to let you hear everything, would that be a fair assessment? The reason I am a bit worried about the HD598's is because my brother does a lot of gaming, and he has the PC350's by Sennheiser and they literally have 0 bass. Is there at least some in the HD598's?

I guess I will wait for someone to comment on the M80's before deciding.

Thank you ever so much again for taking the time to reply!

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #21,873 of 29,490
Quote:
Don't know your sound card (so I'll make the safest assumption that it provides limited, if any, amplification) and will make the more dubious assumption that Canadian prices are roughly the same as in the US.  All that said--take a look at the Senn HD 598 or Audio Technica ATH-AD1000.

With good amplification the Beyer DT 880 (+/- Pro) in the 250 and/or 600 Ohm versions come into the picture.

Thanks for the advice!  I'll check into those. :)

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #21,874 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all from across the pond!

I am Myles from England. I decided to register and ask my questions (hope that is okay) as you guys are the only website anyone ever recommends me to use.

It is near Christmas. I am very into music, all sorts of music really. I am currently using the Bose OE headphones. They have served me well but have become tattered. For Christmas I am going to be getting a new pair of headphones. My budget I guess in dollars would be around $200. I have looked around and I think I need to decide between

Sennheiser HD 598

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S

or V-MODA-Crossfade-M80

Of course if you feel there are other headphones better suited please say so.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me the detailed pros and cons of the headphones, or any others you can recommend.

From reading (correct me I am wrong) the main cons would be

sennheiser - lack of bass
audio-technica - sweaty on your ears, uncomfortable at first
V-MODA - I actually know very little about.

I listen to a lot of music as I mentioned, but also watch a lot of films and tv shows etc with headphones as I am often up late and I feel you can hear things just easier with them.

I do listen to quite a lot of hip hop, but I really do have a lot of variety in my music. I am not planning on getting an amp at the moment unless you recommend I should.

I am sorry if this question has been asked a million times.

I would realllllly appreciate any advice you could give me.

Thanks again! 

Of the cans you listed, the Senn HD 598 is by the far the best in terms of reproducing music and sound in the way that it was put down.  It also has a far better sound stage than the two closed cans you listed.  In the US market since Senn imposed their MAP a bit less than a year ago, the $200 price is very good as well.

The Senn is not bass light, but is also not a bass head can of any stripe.  If you want that, one of the closed cans you listed is a better match.

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #21,875 of 29,490
Quote:
So I picked up a pair of ath m50s and I thought the highs were a little to much for me...maybe too crisp. The mids were recessed and I had to make an effort to follow lyrics and the bass was kinda boomy and actually didn't handle the lower end all that well (it didn't distort but it was softer).

So I'm looking for something with good deep bass with out sacrificing mids and highs. I also think I prefer slightly softer highs. I will be running these unamped off of my laptop or iPod.

KG Jag, you recommended the shure srh 840s. How is the bass on those? Do you recommend anything else? I have slightly redefined what I am looking for. I also looked at the sennheiser hd 419s but I have read that there are better options in the $50-$200 range.

The 840 has a mid bass hump that puts it a bit above neutral, but not into even basshead lite territory.  It also has slightly recessed highs, which it appears you will like.

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #21,876 of 29,490
Quote:
There are a number of very good cans in the $100 +/- price range.  The closed CAL!, KRK KNS 6400 & Sony MDR-ZX700;  semi-open AKG K 240 Studio; and open Senn HD 518 (if you can stretch to $130).  However, it is especially important to know your sound signature preference and how (and with what) you will be using these cans before deciding.

Quote:
Well I am looking for better SQ in general, I plan to listen to these through my laptop and also iPhone. I didn't know AKG's were under $70, interesting. Ele 18$ DAC, no amp as of yet, music preferences would be classic rock Beatles Who Rolling Stones bob Dylan etc. new electronic music, maybe even house techno. Something I haven't got in to much but would be willing is classical music. Also I am messing this multiquoye functionality up from my iPhone.
Jon

Quote:
Check out the Takstar Pro 80s, sold in the USA under the name Gemini HSR-1000, mine arrived yesterday, so far a really good value that costs under $70.

KG JAG, would what I am looking for change your recommendations?

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #21,877 of 29,490
Quote:
Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

roomie suggests i use a fiio amp. 

open cans are fine with me

i like to listen to dub/house/hip hop/ rnb

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #21,879 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
There are a number of very good cans in the $100 +/- price range.  The closed CAL!, KRK KNS 6400 & Sony MDR-ZX700;  semi-open AKG K 240 Studio; and open Senn HD 518 (if you can stretch to $130).  However, it is especially important to know your sound signature preference and how (and with what) you will be using these cans before deciding.

Quote:
Well I am looking for better SQ in general, I plan to listen to these through my laptop and also iPhone. I didn't know AKG's were under $70, interesting. Ele 18$ DAC, no amp as of yet, music preferences would be classic rock Beatles Who Rolling Stones bob Dylan etc. new electronic music, maybe even house techno. Something I haven't got in to much but would be willing is classical music. Also I am messing this multiquoye functionality up from my iPhone.
Jon

Quote:
Check out the Takstar Pro 80s, sold in the USA under the name Gemini HSR-1000, mine arrived yesterday, so far a really good value that costs under $70.

KG JAG, would what I am looking for change your recommendations?

Nope--but I have never heard the cans that PurpleAngel reccomendned and am not an expert on what works well for genres you mentioned except for for classic rock, which I know from when it was not at all classic.  in those days Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Bill Hailey and the Comets and early Elvis were classic rock.

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #21,880 of 29,490
Hey guys
I'm looking for a headphone and amp combo for around $300

I need closed cans because I often work in quiet places such as the library.
I therefore also need a portable amp, and preferably not bulky/heavy headphones.

I listen to a mix of classical, orchestral/movie soundtracks, and some rock/alternative.

I will be using either an iPhone or my pc as a source.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #21,881 of 29,490
Quote:
The 840 has a mid bass hump that puts it a bit above neutral, but not into even basshead lite territory.  It also has slightly recessed highs, which it appears you will like.

So right now I am considering the shure srh 840s, the beyerdynamics custom one pros, and the sennheiser hd 419s. What are your thoughts/how would you compare these headphones.  Thanks

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #21,882 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

So right now I am considering the shure srh 840s, the beyerdynamics custom one pros, and the sennheiser hd 419s. What are your thoughts/how would you compare these headphones.  Thanks

Haven't heard the Beyer yet.  The 419 is a drop in class from the 840.

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #21,884 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Haven't heard the Beyer yet.  The 419 is a drop in class from the 840.

Would you say that the srh 840s could be considered harsh or fatiguing in any way?

No--these are serious professional studio quality cans.

Also, how is their bass extension?

Good, especially for this price class.  Again these are studio cans.

You mentioned that there is a mid-bass hump...does this mean that the bass drops off as you go lower?

It means it returns to near neutral.

You should read this:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-srh840

From the buying guides linked in opening post of this thread:

"Shure SRH840, $140-$200. Isolates well, folds for portability, and good build quality. Accurate/punchy bass, great mids, highs are somewhat lacking."

and

"Relatively neutral overall, with ample bass. Similar build to the SRH440, with better stock memory foam pads. Might have some comfort issues with headband and weight."

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #21,885 of 29,490
Lets give this a shot..

Ive got $150 and that's it, no more to spend, less is fine of course, then I could buy some new music.

I want to get a setup for my desk at work, the headphone out on my laptop is garbage, I do have a receiver and a set of speakers on my desk, but the headphone out on the bottom of the barrel 1960s Jc Penny/Penncrest receiver is even worse then the laptop. The speakers are surprisingly very good performers, Boston Acoustics HD5s that I nabbed for $12 at a thrift, see attached photo.

I listen to a narrow variety, Rock, Metal, Blues, little bit of Jazz(tho increasingly more), and very little hip hop/dupstep/rap, and just about zero 'pop' type stuff. I have a set of AKG K240 mkii's, and a set of ATH M35s, and I want something completely different than those two, I like new stuff. Open or closed doesnt matter cause I work nights and theres nobody around, comfort doesnt matter, my ears are so darn sensitive that all phones Ive ever tried hurt after an hour or so, and when I wear my glasses its even worse, so I just deal with it. I like bass, but Im content with the BA HD5s which are a tiny bookshelf with a 5.25in driver that only gets down to 55hz so its not a top priority. Mostly I just want something different to rotate in.

Since both my headphone out options are turds, Ill be needing a dac/amp as well and Im 90% set on a fiio e10 from adorama for $45 which leaves $105 on this gift card I have. Ive narrowed it down to

1. Grado SR80i(MS1 perhaps?)
2. Shure SRH440
3. ATH AD700
4. god only knows what else, I started looking at IEMs today, but I'm really not sure there but not against it either

What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back