++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #21,856 of 29,490
Quote:
You'll be hard pressed to beat the Shure in that price range & (especially) given all your requirements.

Thanks, KGJ.  Do you have any thoughts on the durability/build quality?  Some of the reviews I've seen have raised concerns about the hinges on these Shures...  I'd like to keep this for many years if possible.

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #21,857 of 29,490
Need a great IEM for EDM (Trance/Eurodance). Will be using it in conjunction with my iPhone5 (no amp) for my commute to work.

Budget is ~$125

Thanks

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here/1800_20#post_8930887

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #21,858 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The Monoprice, while a good value for what it is, is not a very good headphone.  I'd replace it first.

Thanks for the advice. What headphones would you recommend in the 100$ range? I'm thinking about getting the MH1c Sony's as they are a good deal. I'm open to any type IEM, over ear, open ear really I just want the best SQ, while I suppose comfort would be my second priority.

There are a number of very good cans in the $100 +/- price range.  The closed CAL!, KRK KNS 6400 & Sony MDR-ZX700;  semi-open AKG K 240 Studio; and open Senn HD 518 (if you can stretch to $130).  However, it is especially important to know your sound signature preference and how (and with what) you will be using these cans before deciding.

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #21,859 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
You'll be hard pressed to beat the Shure in that price range & (especially) given all your requirements.

Thanks, KGJ.  Do you have any thoughts on the durability/build quality?  Some of the reviews I've seen have raised concerns about the hinges on these Shures...  I'd like to keep this things for many years if possible.

This is an issue with the 940.  How important it is depends in large part how you use/abuse the cans.

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #21,860 of 29,490
Quote:
After owning a pair of IE 8's, I've decided to go on full sized headphones. 

recommendations for headphones in the 200 - 300 range? 

I've been suggested Akg Q701s. 

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #21,861 of 29,490
Quote:
This is an issue with the 940.  How important it is depends in large part how you use/abuse the cans.

Honestly I don't really know what level of 'abuse' will cause the cracking.  I generally don't do awful things to expensive purchases, but I'm also not going to treat it with kid gloves.  There's a thread on this forum with a lot of pretty scary horror stories about the cracking.

Is there something with similar sound/comfort to the Shures in the approximate price range I'm looking for?  I saw some people suggest the Beyer T70Ps, but that's a bit pricey and I really hated the comfort of the (admittedly cheaper) Beyers I tried on at the store.

Dec 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #21,862 of 29,490
There are a number of very good cans in the $100 +/- price range.  The closed CAL!, KRK KNS 6400 & Sony MDR-ZX700;  semi-open AKG K 240 Studio; and open Senn HD 518 (if you can stretch to $130).  However, it is especially important to know your sound signature preference and how (and with what) you will be using these cans before deciding.

Well I am looking for better SQ in general, I plan to listen to these through my laptop and also iPhone. I didn't know AKG's were under $70, interesting. Ele 18$ DAC, no amp as of yet, music preferences would be classic rock Beatles Who Rolling Stones bob Dylan etc. new electronic music, maybe even house techno. Something I haven't got in to much but would be willing is classical music. Also I am messing this multiquoye functionality up from my iPhone.

Jon

Dec 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #21,863 of 29,490
Okay.. UPDATE

So i found a store that stocked 518/558/598s to try, but unfortunately they only had the 598s to try (even though i rang and asked and they said they would bring some form out back - anyway a different story)

So the only way i could try them all was to buy the other 2 and return them within a week.  So i bought them along with a pair od Denon D1100s (not sure why, just a liast minute impulse) 

So i got them home, first test was ipod.  518/558s sounded alright, nothing amazing.  wacked the £40 Denons in, and compared to the Senns they actually blew me away, so much better (but i guess thats what theyre designed for)

Next was my PC through my sharp Amp, this is where the Senns pulled away, and the first time i slightly prefered the 558s, they seemed to handle Folk music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcrW-n9AwIM) alot better, had faint hiss on 518s, zero on 558s.  Denons were nothing in comparison through the amp.  Although they handle bass better, both the Senns struggled with some deep bass such as (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMkqbY0oGKQ) and hip-hop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOrLNHbEzMg)

So now im totally stumped.  Do i keep the 518s AND the denons for the too separate sources? (same price as the 558's) OR if there a decent portable amp that i can get similar results out of the 558 from an ipod OR possibley another set of cans people may have in mind now i've given them a little more information?  I do think the Senns leak abit more than i'd like, but the comfort is amazing, plus id like maybe a little more control on the bass, are these points leading to me having to try the DT770s? (comfort, closed, bass)? I dont want to loose the mids and highs though, they sound sweet on the 558s.

All these options, im abit lost!

Dec 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #21,864 of 29,490
Quote:
Well I am looking for better SQ in general, I plan to listen to these through my laptop and also iPhone. I didn't know AKG's were under $70, interesting. Ele 18$ DAC, no amp as of yet, music preferences would be classic rock Beatles Who Rolling Stones bob Dylan etc. new electronic music, maybe even house techno. Something I haven't got in to much but would be willing is classical music. Also I am messing this multiquoye functionality up from my iPhone.
Jon

Check out the Takstar Pro 80s, sold in the USA under the name Gemini HSR-1000, mine arrived yesterday, so far a really good value that costs under $70.

Dec 6, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #21,865 of 29,490
Hi, looking for a pair of headphones for my friend. I think he mostly listens to EDM music, so good bass is necessary. Budget is about 180$. He's also going to get a Xonar DG soundcard with it (due to my recommendation).

I've been looking at the next cans for now:
-Koss Pro DJ100 (are they too analytical for EDM music, I don't know?)
-CAL! (Do they have enough bass for EDM music?)
-Sennheiser HD 380 PRO

Do you have any cans to recommend with a "fun"(bassy) sound sig?

Dec 6, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #21,866 of 29,490
Need headphones for mixing songs and on buses and stuff :)
Ideal budget:100$ (though cheaper is better, willing to go to 110$ max, on strict budget)

Sigh, a n00b just came on Head-Fi to ask for some monitor(?) headphones. Darn.
BUY ALL THE AUDIO-TECHNICA ATH-M50(S [es])!
wat

For real though, I am leaning toward the M50's unless I could get convinced by people from here to recommend another
okay, anyways, I have a budget of around 100 dollars to buy headphones for mixing and bus rides and stuff

Preferred (actually only option) Website - Amazon.com (provide links also, thanks)

What I need (perfect headphones):

Good Sound

This is implied, I guess. Something that will be a noticeable upgrade from my other 2 pairs of headphones. (see below)

Flat Response(?) (monitor-ess-ness)

As flat as can be, as you may know, I do musics and everything.

Durability

I break headphone jacks very easily. Should not snap quickly.

My previous pairs of headphones were destroyed (due to the weak cables, and terrible stock plugs):

Looks

I'm going to be using it at school also, and pretty much everyone will say that "Unless you have Beats (or any other aluminum headphones) you're not going to be taken seriously as an audiophile."... okay maybe not everyone says that but its implied due to people going with brand name junk. They should look somewhat snazzy.

(Decent) Comfort

Unfortunately, I wear glasses. And I need something that won't kill me after 3 or 4 hours of mixing. But I can take a little pain.

Isolation

Something where I can blast this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3kSPHcjN34 (don't judge), and not be able to hear it much on a (somewhat empty) NYC Transit bus, without of losing much quality.

Other Bits:

Low impedance (?) for use without an amp (though I do have a Fiio E3 amp to spare if so)
Able to be stored easily, maybe in a carrying case.
Preferably 1/8 inch jack, unless it comes with a converter.
1/8 to 1/4 converter provided

Previous Pairs (or cans, if you will):

Sennheiser HD 428 (got these for 40$) - decommissioned - death by constant cable replacement

Sennheiser HD 419 (got these for 20$) - replaced jack plug/breaking

Preferred Brands (though any is fine)

Audio-Technica

Sennheiser

Grado (?)

AKG

<insert reputable headphone brand that I don't know>

Bose (not sure if good or bad)

Beats I lied

(compatibility) Playback Devices

Asus Xonar DG Soundcard

iPod Touch 4g

iPod Nano 3g

Samsung Optimus S - this won't be able to use any headphones at all, cause of the low powered jack

Dec 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #21,867 of 29,490
Quote:
Greetings everyone,

I'd like to get some recommendations for some full-size headphones.  I'm very new to the audiophile and headphone world...I apologize in advance if I get a few things wrong, but I'm willing to learn. :)

I'm a PC audio kind of guy - currently, I run an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card with a Sennheiser PC-350 headset.  I'm a 50/50 split between gaming (non-competitive/casual) and music.  For music, I use Foobar2000 and my collection is a mix of FLAC (44.1 kHz/16-bit ripped from my CDs) and MP3 (mostly 320kbps but a few lower bit-rates in there that I'm working on replacing).  Regarding my preferred genres, I usually listen to Alternative Rock, Classic Rock, Easy Listening, Folk, World/New Wave, and a bit of Country sometimes (please don't hate me :wink: ).

I'm not interested in replacing my sound card as I'm very pleased with it and I don't have any problems with it.  Doing a bit of reading around here, it seems like it should be quite capable for someone like me just getting into the audiophile scene.  But, what I really want to change is my headset - I'm content with the PC-350's for gaming (although I'll fully admit I have nothing to compare them to) but I just HATE these for music.  They sound very "closed in"...it's like I'm in a very small room.  The sound stage (I think that's what you call it) feels very small.  With that, I think I'm looking for "Open Back" headphones.  Regarding the sound quality of the PC-350's, I've had to EQ them because the most obvious issue to me was the bass was quite lacking.  Again, with nothing else to compare to, I can't comment well on the sound quality for the rest of the audio spectrum.  I'd like to say I'm reasonably satisfied with it, but somehow I think there is room for improvement.  I hope this makes sense - I suppose it's kinda difficult to describe sound.  :)

So, I think there may be two approaches here - 1) I keep the PC-350's for gaming and get a new set of headphones geared for music, or 2) Get a set of headphones that is better both at gaming and music and replace the PC-350's altogether.  Something I should note is I don't actually use the mic on the PC-350's since I don't game on-line.  Also, these will be for home-use only...some day I'll look in to a different set for on the road.

Regarding my budget, I'd like to keep it under $350-$400 CAD.  If it makes a difference with availability, I'm in Canada.

Any advice and recommendations is much appreciated.  Thanks in advance. :)

Don't know your sound card (so I'll make the safest assumption that it provides limited, if any, amplification) and will make the more dubious assumption that Canadian prices are roughly the same as in the US.  All that said--take a look at the Senn HD 598 or Audio Technica ATH-AD1000.

With good amplification the Beyer DT 880 (+/- Pro) in the 250 and/or 600 Ohm versions come into the picture.

Dec 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #21,868 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Honestly I don't really know what level of 'abuse' will cause the cracking.  I generally don't do awful things to expensive purchases, but I'm also not going to treat it with kid gloves.  There's a thread on this forum with a lot of pretty scary horror stories about the cracking.

Is there something with similar sound/comfort to the Shures in the approximate price range I'm looking for?  I saw some people suggest the Beyer T70Ps, but that's a bit pricey and I really hated the comfort of the (admittedly cheaper) Beyers I tried on at the store.

Can't think of any other closed headphones currently  in production that come close in that price range. 

The AKG K 550 is well regarded for those who can achieve a proper seal with it.  Beards, sideburns and even glasses can be a problem.

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #21,869 of 29,490
Hello all from across the pond!

I am Myles from England. I decided to register and ask my questions (hope that is okay) as you guys are the only website anyone ever recommends me to use.

It is near Christmas. I am very into music, all sorts of music really. I am currently using the Bose OE headphones. They have served me well but have become tattered. For Christmas I am going to be getting a new pair of headphones. My budget I guess in dollars would be around $200. I have looked around and I think I need to decide between

Sennheiser HD 598

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S

or V-MODA-Crossfade-M80

Of course if you feel there are other headphones better suited please say so.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me the detailed pros and cons of the headphones, or any others you can recommend.

From reading (correct me I am wrong) the main cons would be

sennheiser - lack of bass
audio-technica - sweaty on your ears, uncomfortable at first
V-MODA - I actually know very little about.

I listen to a lot of music as I mentioned, but also watch a lot of films and tv shows etc with headphones as I am often up late and I feel you can hear things just easier with them.

I do listen to quite a lot of hip hop, but I really do have a lot of variety in my music. I am not planning on getting an amp at the moment unless you recommend I should.

I am sorry if this question has been asked a million times.

I would realllllly appreciate any advice you could give me.

Thanks again! 

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #21,870 of 29,490
So I picked up a pair of ath m50s and I thought the highs were a little to much for me...maybe too crisp. The mids were recessed and I had to make an effort to follow lyrics and the bass was kinda boomy and actually didn't handle the lower end all that well (it didn't distort but it was softer).

So I'm looking for something with good deep bass with out sacrificing mids and highs. I also think I prefer slightly softer highs. I will be running these unamped off of my laptop or iPod.

KG Jag, you recommended the shure srh 840s. How is the bass on those? Do you recommend anything else? I have slightly redefined what I am looking for. I also looked at the sennheiser hd 419s but I have read that there are better options in the $50-$200 range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back