++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 5, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #21,826 of 29,490
I'm new to high end phones (don't even know if my Sony MDR-V700 counts), learning and reading about headphones have put me off the idea of ever buying headphones...it's pretty sad, I started exited on getting new headphones but now I don't even know anymore.

It seems really hard to get an answer from people since everyone have diffrent views, I thought that I wanted the AKG K550 and was almost convinced but then I continue to search the threads here and found some posts that made me doubtfull, I then started looking at the U Pro 750s but then the same thing happened.

I really don't know what headphones I should get, I can't really test any so I'm pretty much screwed...damn.

All I know is that I want closed comfortable fun headphones that handle bass great for round 450- dollars.

I'm close to giving up, it's just too much opinions.

Dec 5, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #21,827 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey, I'm new here. I'm looking to get a pair of headphones along with everything to go inbetween them and my pc (dac, amp etc). My budget is between £500 and £600, although the lower the better. I've researched it and the HD 650, fiio E17 and fiio E09K seems to be a pretty solid choice. I'm basically just wondering whether there are any other better alternatives. I want them for music, and although I will use them for gaming aswell, music is the priority. I will be listening to older drum and bass/jungle e.g bad company uk, dillinja, goldie etc. so I'm looking for some good low, heavy bass as well as breakbeats. Thanks :)

Also : Portability is not a factor I'm looking for. I don't care how big the equipment is.

The E17/E09K combo will not give you any surround sound for gaming, only 2-channel stereo audio.
An internal sound card with the Fiio E09k would be a better combo for movies and gaming (and still good for music).

Dec 5, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #21,831 of 29,490
Quote:
im trying to get new closed headphones that sound good and preferably aesthetically pleasing,
i want to get em for anywhere from $100-$250. ive heard about the ath m50 just wondering
if they would be good for hiphop since im more of a hip hop head but listen to a little edm too.
aesthetically i like how vmodas, the akg tiesto line and the sony mdr1r look like, so im hoping i could find something that looks like that
or if you think those models i just named are actually good as i don't know how they sound.
really not trying to get beats so any suggestions would help thanks.

edit:made a thread in a different forum before i saw this one, in case you see this question elsewhere.

anyone?

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #21,833 of 29,490
Quote:
So I purchased the he-400's recently and ended up returning them as I found I didn't really like their sound signature, I wanted something more exciting. I loved the sound stage and separation however I want something with more emphasized highs and bass. I don't really care if its either open or closed design, I just need it to sound great out of an e17 and or mp3. I was looking at the V-moda m100's but I am currently looking at other options, my budget is around $400.

So anymore recommendations besides the ultrasone 900's? I don't really need bass monsters just well defined bass slightly accentuated. I listen to a variety of music so it has to sound great with everything.  What I really care about is the highs, I want realistic sounding vocals with good separation and sound stage. I am willing to compromise on the bass.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #21,834 of 29,490
hey there guys, looking for a pair of headphones that can be run without an amp, running up to $125 and is fairly comfortable. Listening mostly to house/techno music with some gaming, so i need a bit of bass but not too much. Thanks!

Price range: Up to $125
Source: Laptop (y480) & clip+
Genre of music: House/techno
Amp: Unamped
Extras: Comfortable with glasses

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #21,835 of 29,490
Quote:
hey there guys, looking for a pair of headphones that can be run without an amp, running up to $125 and is fairly comfortable. Listening mostly to house/techno music with some gaming, so i need a bit of bass but not too much. Thanks!

Price range: Up to $125
Source: Laptop (y480) & clip+
Genre of music: House/techno
Amp: Unamped
Extras: Comfortable with glasses

m50 is probably the best headphone you can get at that price range, though they have a somewhat large amount of bass.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #21,836 of 29,490
Hi!
Im looking for a pair of headphones in the ~300$ range (in Canada). I listen to lots of different kinds of music but mostly Rock, Jazz and Indie
They would be used at home so portability and sound leakage is not an issue.
They would be used with my macbook pro mostly. I don't have any kind of amp but I could see getting an affordable one in the future.
After a bit of reading I was sold on the D2000 but I found out these have been discontinued. Another one I was looking at was the shure srh940.
Most of the reviews seem pretty favourable for them. My only worry is that I wont have enough bass or that I'll need to get an amp to get anything from them.
Any other suggestions or would the srh940 be a solid choice?

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #21,837 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi!
Im looking for a pair of headphones in the ~300$ range (in Canada). I listen to lots of different kinds of music but mostly Rock, Jazz and Indie
They would be used at home so portability and sound leakage is not an issue.
They would be used with my Macbook Pro mostly. I don't have any kind of amp but I could see getting an affordable one in the future.
After a bit of reading I was sold on the D2000 but I found out these have been discontinued. Another one I was looking at was the Shure SRH940.
Most of the reviews seem pretty favourable for them. My only worry is that I wont have enough bass or that I'll need to get an amp to get anything from them.
Any other suggestions or would the SRH940 be a solid choice?

Apple products seem to come with decent built in audio.
But, you could try the new Fiio E07K portable DAC & headphone amplifier.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #21,838 of 29,490
Quote:
Apple products seem to come with decent built in audio.
But, you could try the new Fiio E07K portable DAC & headphone amplifier.

So the srh940 would be fine with out an amp then? Just from reading their reviews it seemed like lack of bass was a big concern but If they would work fine from my lap top maybe i'll get them and worry about an amp later.

thanks

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #21,839 of 29,490
Hi just purchased the Monoprice 8323 Headphones and also just got the ele eBay DAC mentioned in the forum for my laptop. I use an iPhone 5 and laptop.

I would like to know in order to take my listening experience to the next level what amp should I get? I understand the iPhone 5 has an ok DAC. I was thinking about the fiio e6, also what are your thoughts on Alac versus 320mp3?

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #21,840 of 29,490
Hi, I am new to the forum and to good headphones. Now, let me start by saying the thing that got me interested in a decent set of headphones is someone bought me beats by dre's mixr headphones. Well, I know that they are overpriced for the name, but now I want good ones. They were incredibly unconfortable due to the high clamping force. with that said, here are my preferences in order of most importance. Thanks for your help! I was considering the audio-technica m50 but have read many saying that clamping is an issue and that is the last thing I want.

Price must total 180 or less including tax and shipping
Must be comfortable, I will be using these for 3-5 hours at a time.
I would like to have some that I can listen to at a decent volume without others hearing due to the fact that I use them in an office environment
This is not hugely important but it would be a nice bonus if it has the volume control and mic for the iphone on the cord, however I prefer sound and comfort over this. it would just be a bonus
I will be using them with an iPhone with no amp.

Thanks all!

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back