++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 4, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #21,796 of 29,490
Well, the K601 require more amplification than what you currently have, and won't sound that good running straight from an onboard audio chip.

The HD598 are well liked all around cans that are also an option.

Both are open headphones, which improves the soundstage at the expense of isolation and leakage and bass reproduction. The Ultrasones are both closed.

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #21,797 of 29,490
Hey, I'm pretty new to Head-Fi, although I've been browsing the boards researching headphones for about a year now.
I'm currently commuting by train to school every day for a couple of hours. Looking to grab some cheap ~100 dollar cans with decent sound isolation for listening to while travelling. I'm a musician and so I care more about sound quality than isolation, but obviously my headphones can't leak too much or I won't be able to hear a thing. I listen to everything from smooth jazz to electro/dubstep to classical, so I'm looking for a well-rounded pair of headphones with decent bass (although they don't need to be basshead-worthy by any means). I mostly listen from my laptop and phone. Currently all I have is a cheap pair of JVC HA-S600s.

Headphones I'm currently looking at (again, note the $100~ price range):
KRK KNS-6400
Shure SRH 440
Fischer FA-003
Fostex T50RP
AT M50s

Any suggestions? :)

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #21,799 of 29,490
Quote:
Do you think that a Fiio E6 would be enough for the k601's?

Not really, nor do I consider amps like Fiio E5/E6. The minimum you should aim for is a PA2V2 or a Fiio E11, both at ~$60.

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #21,801 of 29,490
not even 1 response guys? i really could use some help.
Quote:
Hey everyone.

I just found this forum through google while searching for headphones. I am hoping that you can help me.

I have a Samsung C7000 (UE46C7000) TV, and i would like to purchase a headset for watching movies on it. I have it connected through HDMI to my HTPC (ASRock ION 330-HT), running openelec with XBMC.

After my search i ended up that wireless and 5.1 are way too expensive and also there are brands that you need a fortune to buy a basic headset.

I ended up finding the following headsets that are close to my budget: 

1) Beyerdynamic DTX 710
2) American Audio HP 550
3) Sennheiser HD 205

What i want from you guys is to help me understand if i will be able to use them for the purpose i want and if they are compatible or not. I really want to be able to watch a movie and get nice sound but comfort in the ears as well. Also feel free to suggest some good heasets for this purpose.

I am willing to go up to a max of €60 ($80).

Thanks in advance.

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #21,802 of 29,490
Quote:
Do you think that a Fiio E6 would be enough for the k601's?

Technically the Fiio E6 can drive the 120-Ohm K601 headphones, but chances are is going to be near the max volume setting on the E6 and you may not get the full audio quality of the K601.
Currently the Fiio E11 is selling for $48.93, for the price of the AKG K601, spend $48.93 for an amplifier is very reasonable.

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #21,803 of 29,490
Quote:
not even 1 response guys? i really could use some help.
Quote:
Hey everyone.

I just found this forum through google while searching for headphones. I am hoping that you can help me.

I have a Samsung C7000 (UE46C7000) TV, and i would like to purchase a headset for watching movies on it. I have it connected through HDMI to my HTPC (ASRock ION 330-HT), running openelec with XBMC.

After my search i ended up that wireless and 5.1 are way too expensive and also there are brands that you need a fortune to buy a basic headset.

I ended up finding the following headsets that are close to my budget: 

1) Beyerdynamic DTX 710
2) American Audio HP 550
3) Sennheiser HD 205

What i want from you guys is to help me understand if i will be able to use them for the purpose i want and if they are compatible or not. I really want to be able to watch a movie and get nice sound but comfort in the ears as well. Also feel free to suggest some good heasets for this purpose.

I am willing to go up to a max of €60 ($80).

Thanks in advance.

I'm not familiar with any of this equipment, so I can be of no help.

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #21,804 of 29,490
Looking for a bit of advice since this is my first time purchasing a nice pair of closed-ear headphones.

Im looking for something with a middle ground between good music quality and good for PC gaming as well. A few of the headphones i have looked at have been either good for music or optimal for gaming, but i cant find something in between. Ive looked at the Shure SRH440s but they are unamped, meaning they arent too great for gaming. My question for these headphones is if this USB dac i own: http://www.head-fi.org/t/454511/what-is-this   would be an efficient in boosting unamped headphones, or should i invest in something better?

The type of music i listen to is mainly Hip Hop, Reggae, Alternative Rock and various Electronic sub-genres. For gaming im mainly looking for a nice pair of headphones for Counter Strike, but ill be using them for most games i play anyways. My price range is sitting anywhere from $50-$200, but i might settle for a cheaper headset if you guys end up suggesting an amp.

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #21,806 of 29,490
im trying to get new closed headphones that sound good and preferably aesthetically pleasing,
i want to get em for anywhere from $100-$250. ive heard about the ath m50 just wondering
if they would be good for hiphop since im more of a hip hop head but listen to a little edm too.
aesthetically i like how vmodas, the akg tiesto line and the sony mdr1r look like, so im hoping i could find something that looks like that
or if you think those models i just named are actually good as i don't know how they sound.
really not trying to get beats so any suggestions would help thanks.

edit:made a thread in a different forum before i saw this one, in case you see this question elsewhere.

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #21,807 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for a bit of advice since this is my first time purchasing a nice pair of closed-ear headphones.

I'm looking for something with a middle ground between good music quality and good for PC gaming as well. A few of the headphones i have looked at have been either good for music or optimal for gaming, but i cant find something in between. Ive looked at the Shure SRH440s but they are unamped, meaning they aren't too great for gaming. My question for these headphones is if this USB dac i own: http://www.head-fi.org/t/454511/what-is-this   would be an efficient in boosting unamped headphones, or should i invest in something better?

The type of music i listen to is mainly Hip Hop, Reggae, Alternative Rock and various Electronic sub-genres. For gaming im mainly looking for a nice pair of headphones for Counter Strike, but ill be using them for most games i play anyways. My price range is sitting anywhere from $50-$200, but i might settle for a cheaper headset if you guys end up suggesting an amp.

"Shure SHH-440 But they are unamped, meaning they aren't too great for gaming" Not sure what your saying?

95% of headphones do not come with an amplifier, usually you hook up a separate headphone amplifier to headphones.
Anyway, just get a Xonar DG ($26, PCI) or DGX ($40, PCI-E) sound card and plug the Shure SRH440 ($72 used or $100 new) into the Xonar.
So total cost would be $98 to $140

Technical Pro HPT990 (Takstar Hi2050) headphones sell for around $70, best audio quality for the price, even come with half-way decent Velour ear pads.

Dec 5, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #21,808 of 29,490
Bump
My thread has kinda died, might get more info here.

Basically im looking at ~£150($200) over the ears phones, something that is fun to listen to from the off that doesnt requite an amp to sound good. (Will be through amp on PC but want to use unamped out and about with ipod)

Im looking for a sound close to Senn PX100, just better.  Im down to DT770's and HD558/598s.

Can't find them anywhere so do i buy both from amazon and send back the one i dont like? or with what ive said is one clearly better for me?

My music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/Danny23

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #21,809 of 29,490
Hey guys so I've been learning to DJ and I've been borrowing a friend's DJing cans, now that I'm a little better at it I want to get a pair of my own, I'm not that new to head-fi although my collection only includes HD598, an ER4-S, and some portable amps.

I've been doing the researd and I'm down to 3 options, I don't want them to be on-ear cause the pads usually cause me to sweat and irritate my skin so my options are all over-ear, I'm between the AKG550, Pioneer HDJ2000, and the V-MODA Crossfade LP2 which do you guys recommend?? Comfort and Tight clear sound to beat match is a must.

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #21,810 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys so I've been learning to DJ and I've been borrowing a friend's DJing cans, now that I'm a little better at it I want to get a pair of my own, I'm not that new to head-fi although my collection only includes HD598, an ER4-S, and some portable amps.

I've been doing the researd and I'm down to 3 options, I don't want them to be on-ear cause the pads usually cause me to sweat and irritate my skin so my options are all over-ear, I'm between the AKG550, Pioneer HDJ2000, and the V-MODA Crossfade LP2 which do you guys recommend?? Comfort and Tight clear sound to beat match is a must.

Between the options you listed, you're likely to enjoy the HDJ-2000 the most. The AKG K550 doesn't have enough bass for DJing, and the V-MODA Crossfade LP2 isn't as refined as the HDJ-2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back