++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 3, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #21,736 of 29,490
Someone on eBay from the US with all positive feedback is selling new Sony MDR SA1000 for $64. My questions are: Are these not discontinued? Could it be NOS? Is that too cheap? Could they be fake? Thanks

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #21,737 of 29,490
Hi all,

I posted this in the Beyerdynamic DT thread as well but it looks like this may be a better place.
I'm looking for some advice on the dt770 pro 80 versus 250 ohm. I have an audioengine d1 which i picked up on sale recently.
Will the d1 drive the 250ohm version adequately? I don't listen to music too loud. 
I listen to a lot of trance, house music and hip hop. Would the 80 be better due to more bass? I don't want crazy amounts of bass but is there a significant difference? 
Also once in a blue moon i might use them with my nexus 4 phone unamped when travelling. i dont need it too loud so will they be ok then?
The thing is the 250 are $165 and available immediately, and the 80s are $185 and available end of december. Just not sure if the difference is significant enough to wait and pay more. 
I am also open to other options under $200 but i am leaning towards the beyers for comfort. These are going to be my first set of good headphones. 

Thanks! Any advice would be great

Dec 3, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #21,738 of 29,490
Hi all,

I posted this in the Beyerdynamic DT thread as well but it looks like this may be a better place.

I'm looking for some advice on the dt770 pro 80 versus 250 ohm. I have an audioengine d1 which i picked up on sale recently.

Will the d1 drive the 250ohm version adequately? I don't listen to music too loud. 

I listen to a lot of trance, house music and hip hop. Would the 80 be better due to more bass? I don't want crazy amounts of bass but is there a significant difference? 

Also once in a blue moon i might use them with my nexus 4 phone unamped when travelling. i dont need it too loud so will they be ok then?

The thing is the 250 are $165 and available immediately, and the 80s are $185 and available end of december. Just not sure if the difference is significant enough to wait and pay more. 

I am also open to other options under $200 but i am leaning towards the beyers for comfort. These are going to be my first set of good headphones. 

Thanks! Any advice would be great

Its not like there is some big difference between the two. Those comparrisons sometimes lead people to believe there is a huge difference in sound in the different impedances of beyers when there isnt. The 250 is easy to drive and should be fine with your amp/dac. Worst case scenario you have to order a fiio e10 for 50 bucks which i can attest runs the 250 ohm with PLENTY of headroom. I have a feeling your d1 will too. The 250 ohm is plenty bassy.

Dec 3, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #21,740 of 29,490
I'm still curious as to whether DT1350 or MadDog extend deeper, and more accurately, which has more forward bass compared to the mids and highs. A bit of a bump in the lower highs is fine, but I prefer a warmer headphone.

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #21,741 of 29,490
Just received my HD558, they sound really good out of the box, really comfy. Open-box, and only minor scratches.. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Thanks for the recommendation. 

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #21,742 of 29,490
Hi after about 3 weeks of looking and asking questions in Head-Fi. I Decided to buy the AKG Q701 and i am wondering what DAC should i get with it. The DAC will need an Optical input so i can plug it to my TV and it will need to be less than 250$ (The lesser the better if good quality).

So far i'm interested in these:

- O2+ODac
- Audioengine D1
- Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1

Are there other good DAC that will make my Q701 Shine? Whats your recommendation?

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #21,743 of 29,490
Hi guys, I'm looking for some full size over-ear headphones with good isolation for listening to mostly electronic music that will run well on a portable music player. <£30
I've looked at the Sennheiser 201/202 and almost bought the 202s until I saw that they are more on-ear than over-ear.

What else is there in the over-ear <£30 price range? JVC HA-RX700 are £30 but apparently have poor isolation and they look incredibly large.

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #21,744 of 29,490
Woops, I noticed this thread a bit too late. I'm just looking for a second opinion on a pair of cans for improving my audio experience. My only previous ownership of note were the Sennheiser 448. They were neutral and meshed well with many genre, but I do specifically remember not being satisfied with their performance in the bass department. Otherwise I was quite satisfied with their with them, everything just sounded very natural and clean. For my taste in music, I listen to Rock, J-Pop/Rock, Metal, Classical, some Electronica, a bit of R&B and a lot of Video Game soundtracks. I'm really not a bass-head, as I listened to a friend's V-Moda M80s and the bass was definitely too overpowering for me. It sounded great with my few electronica/dubstep/techno tracks, but everything else sounded drowned out and a bit garbled; there was no clarity. So I guess, in summation, I'm looking for cans that provide a good middle ground between what the 448's lacked and what the M-80s had too much of, all while providing an overall balanced feel that does well across genres.

I was recommended the Shure SRH840s previously, which seem to fit the bill, and I have a FiiO E6 amp.

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #21,745 of 29,490
Hey guys, I need some help. I'm very headphone-illiterate, so please try to dumb down your answers as much as possible. 

I'm looking for a nice set of headphones for the holidays with a budget around $200 (max $250). I've tried a bunch of general Google searches, but most people tend to be looking for good bass headphones. That's fine, but most of the reviews say that something else suffers because of the bass. I'm looking for something that's almost equally good all-around, and if anything suffers, it's the bass. Obviously I want good bass, but I don't need the best. I like some electronica, but much prefer if classical and rock were emphasized. I'd like the headphones to be noise-canceling and closed if possible. The style is not important to me. I want them to be decently durable because I'm a college student and I'll be taking them to class (thus, they need to be able to play on my iPod on the go). 

This is my current pair 
http://www.target.com/p/sony-studio-series-headphones-white-mdrzx100-whi/-/A-14061285?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C14061285&CPNG=Sony_Holiday&kpid=14061285&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14061285

If I could get just a better version of something like that, I'd be happy. Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if this is the wrong category or procedure or something. 

Dec 3, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #21,746 of 29,490
Hey guys, I need some help. I'm very headphone-illiterate, so please try to dumb down your answers as much as possible. 

I'm looking for a nice set of headphones for the holidays with a budget around $200 (max $250). I've tried a bunch of general Google searches, but most people tend to be looking for good bass headphones. That's fine, but most of the reviews say that something else suffers because of the bass. I'm looking for something that's almost equally good all-around, and if anything suffers, it's the bass. Obviously I want good bass, but I don't need the best. I like some electronica, but much prefer if classical and rock were emphasized. I'd like the headphones to be noise-canceling and closed if possible. The style is not important to me. I want them to be decently durable because I'm a college student and I'll be taking them to class (thus, they need to be able to play on my iPod on the go). 

This is my current pair 
http://www.target.com/p/sony-studio-series-headphones-white-mdrzx100-whi/-/A-14061285?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C14061285&CPNG=Sony_Holiday&kpid=14061285&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14061285

If I could get just a better version of something like that, I'd be happy. Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if this is the wrong category or procedure or something. 
The pair you linked are an on-ear headphone. Take a look at the DT1350, it will really shine for your music preference and are not bass monsters and are great for portability. They can be found for 200 ish in the classified forums on here if you don't mind used which could fall within your budget. B&H has them for 285 free shipping. The don't have "noise cancelling" but they are closed and isolate noise quite well.

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #21,747 of 29,490
Quote:
The pair you linked are an on-ear headphone. Take a look at the DT1350, it will really shine for your music preference and are not bass monsters and are great for portability. They can be found for 200 ish in the classified forums on here if you don't mind used which could fall within your budget. B&H has them for 285 free shipping. The don't have "noise cancelling" but they are closed and isolate noise quite well.

I'd prefer to get them new. Those look pretty nice, but I'd prefer not to pay that much. 

I've been doing some more research, and apparently some headphones have their chords detachable. This prevents having to replace the entire headset if there is a problem with the cable. Do you know any headset like that matching my description? 

Also, are these any good?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/507447-REG/Sennheiser_HD_25_1_II_HD_25_1_II.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/650058-REG/Sennheiser_HD_380PRO_HD_380_Pro_Circumaural.html

Also, thank you so much for your help so far.

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #21,748 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi after about 3 weeks of looking and asking questions in Head-Fi. I Decided to buy the AKG Q701 and i am wondering what DAC should i get with it. The DAC will need an Optical input so i can plug it to my TV and it will need to be less than 250$ (The lesser the better if good quality).

So far i'm interested in these:

- O2+ODac
- Audioengine D1
- Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1

Are there other good DAC that will make my Q701 Shine? Whats your recommendation?

The Q701 is a bit hungry for power, so you probably need an amplifier too. Many devices marketed under the label "DAC" include an amp section, but make sure it's good for the '701.

Your first choice doesn't meet your stated needs. While the O2 is more than enough for the '701, the ODAC part has no optical input (and, by itself, no amp section.) The ODAC+O2 combo is ~$300.

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #21,749 of 29,490
Quote:
The Q701 is a bit hungry for power, so you probably need an amplifier too. Many devices marketed under the label "DAC" include an amp section, but make sure it's good for the '701.

Your first choice doesn't meet your stated needs. While the O2 is more than enough for the '701, the ODAC part has no optical input (and, by itself, no amp section.) The ODAC+O2 combo is ~$300.

So the only one that would match my requirements is the "Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1"? Is it good for the Q701, is there any other Amp/DAC that would be better (with a similar price)?

EDIT: I have a Fiio E11, if i use it combined with the Audioengine D1 will it drive the Q701 with good quality sound?

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #21,750 of 29,490
Just a recommendation to some people here looking for over ear headphones; I just got a pair of the Philips Citiscape Uptowns new for under $80 and these things are amazing.
I don't know if you guys regularly endorse them as much as the Audio Technica M50s but damn, these things sound great. A bit better than the M50s in my opinion, actually. Everything feels more balanced. The M50s have a bit of a punchy bass that sometimes overpowers everything else but these are some of the most neutral headphones I've ever listened to.

Only downsides would be that they're a little quiet on an iPod (regular computer/other audio source seems to blast them just fine), the little volume slider thing is pretty much useless and the burn-in time is a little long. Right out of the box, they sounded awful. Like, no better than my pair of $10 earbuds. But after leaving them on for a few hours, the sound is quite impressive. And to top it off, I've yet to find a genre they lack in. Rap, dance, rock, metal, opera, jazz, house, pop, or whatever all sound really great so far.

Wholeheartedly recommend these to anyone looking :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back