++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 2, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #21,721 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Anything like HD518, but either closer or semi-open. Pad I would prefer the non-leather/pleather if possible. Is there anything like them from Sennheiser? Would the PX360, or HD439 be close or no? 

Anyone, please? 

The closest I can get is the semi-open AKG K 240 (various versions).  They aren't quite as good as the HD 518.

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #21,722 of 29,490
Quote:
[size=10pt]Well, here goes... [/size]
[size=10pt]I just found this site today (happy dance), so I’m new here. Anyway...[/size]
[size=10pt]Recently, I've been looking for a pair of headphones to replace my old broken ones; Sennheiser HD 202 (the first version). For all intents and purposes; this is the first pair of headphones I will ever buy (the 202's came with my keyboard (piano)).[/size]
[size=10pt]I have no idea about any of the lingo you use when talking about headphones, so i'd appreciate it if you used layman's terms.[/size]
[size=10pt]I do have an idea of what i'm looking for, though:[/size]
[size=10pt]·         [/size][size=10pt]either full size or on-ear headphones (earbuds and in-ear ones always fall out of my ears when I move)[/size]
[size=10pt]·         [/size][size=10pt]must be good with all types of music, as they will be used with my 5th gen ipod nano (with pretty much every genre on it), my keyboard (piano), and my computer; I don't want any amped up bass or anything like that[/size]
[size=10pt]·         [/size][size=10pt]they have to have at least decent sound quality (as in, nothing that sounds like those earbuds you get with your ipod; the 202's were okay)[/size]
[size=10pt]·         [/size][size=10pt]will be used in school and at home, so they must be durable and portable (or come with a carrying case/pouch)[/size]
[size=10pt]·         [/size][size=10pt]they MUST be comfortable for long (as in hours at a time) use (the 202's killed my ears after like half an hour; I have pretty big ears)[/size]
[size=10pt]·         [/size][size=10pt]i'm on a shoestring budget here; try not to post anyting over $150.00[/size]

[size=10pt]Umm... so yeah, that's pretty much all I can think of right now. If you have any questions or if you need more information you can definitely ask me. I'm willing to compromise on some things; I have no idea if my wish list is at all realistic or not... I really have no idea about choosing headphones; there are so many to choose from! Thanks in advance for all your help![/size]

KRK KNS 8400 or the slightly more efficient and less expensive 6400.

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #21,723 of 29,490
Im looking for new headphones. I listen to electronic, rap, classic rock, alternative and a lot of other variations of rock, and some reggae. What would be the best headphones for under 300? Also, what amp would go best with those headphones? I don't care about noise isolation or leaking any sound because I will only listening to these in my room. 

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #21,725 of 29,490
Quote:
Im looking for new headphones. I listen to electronic, rap, classic rock, alternative and a lot of other variations of rock, and some reggae. What would be the best headphones for under 300? Also, what amp would go best with those headphones? I don't care about noise isolation or leaking any sound because I will only listening to these in my room. 

What is your current equipment that will power these cans and what is/are your music source/files (e.g. MP3, flac , CD's vinyl, etc)?

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #21,726 of 29,490
DT1350 or MadDogs.

That is the question.

I expect to use these mostly at home for studio reference, paired with M-stage opamp. On the portablitiy side, it will be powered by a ZO2.3, for the bass oomph

Dec 2, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #21,729 of 29,490
Quote:

For "neutrality in frequency response" and "accuracy", the ODAC+O2 is a better choice. For a warmer, tube-audio response, the Lyr may be better. "Fun"?

I am partial to the warm response of tubes. Is it going to color my audio much? I'd obviously like to save a few pennies here and there where I can, and appreciate accuracy. Not looking for anything analytical however. By fun I guess I mean not overly analytical. I don't want every imperfection in my music to be amplified and in my face. Somewhat forgiving and interesting to listen to.

Quote:
The Asgard powers the HE-500 fine.  Of course there are more expensive and more powerful amps that do even better.

Where do you live?  Most folks who post here have high end dealers in their general area where you can demo the equipment which we have been discussing.

I'm in North County San Diego. Asgard + ODAC vs. O2+ODAC vs. Lyr + ODAC, what's the general consensus here? Is the O2 too weak for the HE-500? Thank you both for fielding my questions. Having a hard time getting these direct comparisons. Hopefully I'll have everything ordered by the end of the month!

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #21,734 of 29,490
I'm looking for some closed, full-size cans, after having IEM's for awhile (Yam EPH-100's)...I'm open to a lot of musical exploration, and listen to pretty much all genres from time to time, but I have a core preference for EDM.

Specifically, I'm starting to run away from V-Curves, bass and treble alone is starting to bore me. Anything that's relatively balanced, or even trebly, is what I'm trying to find. I have an E11 I'll be using to amp in the meantime, so I can always click on a bass boost if I feel like I want it at times. I'm also kind of getting into DJ'ing, so if it happens to have swivels, all the better
rolleyes.gif

Source wise, I run a lot of 320kbps MP3s, and I have an E11 amp that I can use in the meantime before I get a dedicated desktop amp. What would be a good headphone to get below $100? I can go higher I guess, but I'm trying to keep it low for now.Thanks for anything you got!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back