++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 2, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #21,691 of 29,490
He said $300 more than the HE 400.  That is correct.

I recommend that you find a place that carries HiFiMan and listen to both.  My read is that you don't have a great deal of experience in this neighborhood.  Especially in such circumstances, there is no substitute for some ear time with the cans you are considering.

Can't help you with the DAC, but the Asgard represents the minimum level of amps that are powerful enough to drive the HE 500.

If I'm at the minimum level is the performance going to suffer at all or is the Asgard adequate at powering the HE-500? I have no idea where I could test them out though. Ive a pair of Ety ER-4P in ear that are decent but don't have much of a wow factor. Parents have QC2 Bose headphones that are "meh" at best. Just want a one and done high quality purchase. Thanks.

Dec 2, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #21,693 of 29,490
Hey guys, can anyone recommend a choice between the Philips Fidelio L1, the Mad Dogs, and HE-400's for listening to mainstream pop, rock, hip hop and Rnb?

I think I prefer the soundstage of open headphones, but I've heard great things about the natural sound of Mad Dogs, and didn't want to rule them out too early. Which of these phones would have a warm "fun" sound together with a bit of bass kick?

EDIT: Currently have the E17's to drive

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #21,694 of 29,490
I am really getting interested by the DAC called "Musiland Monitor 01 US".

I'm not sure if i can plug this into my HDTV on the optical port and then get the sound of the TV to my headphones (would be great to have confirmation on that since i will be watching alot of movies.). Also i need to know if it will be a good DAC for the AKG Q701, i really want to get the best out of these. I will also be amping these with the Fiio E11, im not even sure if that little DAC is also an amp.

Links to product specs:

Musiland Monitor 01 US:  http://forum.chip.co.id/showthread.php?t=178851 (second post)
AKG Q701 :http://uk.akg.com/product-detail-2821/q-701.html

If you have any other recommandations for cheap DAC i could use i would be happy to hear them.

Thank you

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #21,695 of 29,490
Quote:
I am really getting interested by the DAC called "Musiland Monitor 01 US".

I'm not sure if i can plug this into my HDTV on the optical port and then get the sound of the TV to my headphones (would be great to have confirmation on that since i will be watching alot of movies.). Also i need to know if it will be a good DAC for the AKG Q701, i really want to get the best out of these. I will also be amping these with the Fiio E11, im not even sure if that little DAC is also an amp.

Links to product specs:

Musiland Monitor 01 US:  http://forum.chip.co.id/showthread.php?t=178851 (second post)
AKG Q701 :http://uk.akg.com/product-detail-2821/q-701.html

If you have any other recommandations for cheap DAC i could use i would be happy to hear them.

Thank you

Behringer UCA-202 and UCA-222. Designed by professionals for professionals, not me-too import junk.

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #21,696 of 29,490
I currently have the KSC75's and the JVC S400's.  I absolutely love the Koss sound signature and think I prefer open headphones in general (though the JVC's are incredible for what they are).  I'm looking to graduate to an entry level head-fi recommended can that is open and represents mids and highs very well.  The obvious choice would be Grado's, but I also love a large soundstage and I know Grado's are more up-close.  I was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations in the 100-150 dollar range that DO have a larger soundstage but also good detail in the mids and highs.

Rock, Jazz, Blues, Classical.  These are the genres I want to enjoy.

I do this thing where I start researching headphones, opening new tabs for new ideas.  I've had to close Chrome 3 times because I had 25+ tabs open and realized I had gotten nowhere.  Is this one of those "you need to simply pull the trigger and find out" moments?

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #21,698 of 29,490
Nice products but the only problem is that they don't seem to be able to connect to tv through optical.

I have a question for everyone now, can i connect a potable DAC like the "HRT Music Streamer II" to my TV through the USB port? The TV i own is a TC-P50ST50.

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #21,699 of 29,490
I've been looking for some stylish, efficient, portable headphones and I found Noontec Zoro, which has been widely praised in comparisons with Beats by Dr Dre. I'm really interested in buying them, but there's not much about the bass. Does anyone know if the bass is good enough for dubstep, electronic and pop music? Thank You in advance- Im very confused cause it seems like there are 2 groups of people- those who praise the bass and those who say its lacking.

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #21,700 of 29,490
I currently have the KSC75's and the JVC S400's.  I absolutely love the Koss sound signature and think I prefer open headphones in general (though the JVC's are incredible for what they are).  I'm looking to graduate to an entry level head-fi recommended can that is open and represents mids and highs very well.  The obvious choice would be Grado's, but I also love a large soundstage and I know Grado's are more up-close.  I was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations in the 100-150 dollar range that DO have a larger soundstage but also good detail in the mids and highs.

Rock, Jazz, Blues, Classical.  These are the genres I want to enjoy.

I do this thing where I start researching headphones, opening new tabs for new ideas.  I've had to close Chrome 3 times because I had 25+ tabs open and realized I had gotten nowhere.  Is this one of those "you need to simply pull the trigger and find out" moments?

Save up a few extra dollars and get
DT880 (brighter highs)
Q701
Hd598 (darker highs)

You will thank yourself for spending the extra bucks down the road.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #21,704 of 29,490
Is there very good cheap DAC that i can connect to my TV with the optical cable to the DAC and from the DAC to my Headphones?
I think this would be the only way to get my headphones on my TV.

Thanks

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #21,705 of 29,490
Hi guys/gals,

Been silently searching for a while but haven't found an ideal answer so figured I would post my question here :)

I am looking for a set of good headphones with little to no sound leakage. I have a set of Audio Technica ATH M50s but with the volume at 30% on my tablet my roommate can hear them from the other couch.

Any recommendations? I like the sound quality... but my roommate is a light sleeper plus I want to use my headphones at work and my coworker right behind me (3' distance) prefers no sound as her way to concentrate.

- budget is $225 tops
- listen to: rock, pop, hip hop, R&B, rap, country, and sometimes classical and jazz
- enjoy bass... very much but don't want "muddy" bass
- don't care if headphones have good isolation or not
- must have little to no sound leakage
- usually use with a HP Elite Book Pro at 50% volume (am getting a portable amp soon to use with work laptop so this will change)
- use with Nexus 7 tablet at 70% volume at home (nexus doesn't put out much volume without distortion, another reason I'm getting a portable amp)

I would appreciate any and all recommendations or links to reviews!

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back