++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 30, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #21,646 of 29,490
They excelled at every type of music I put them through. I'm talking everything! Dub R&B, Hip-Hop, Rock, Spanish Guitar, and I even used them with my mixamp and Xbox and they were the best gaming headsets I've ever used!! Even after buying my D5000's they're still the greatest sounding headphones I've ever heard. A little on the heavy side but def not uncomfortable. Plus for $10 you can get the velour pads and make them even better!

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #21,647 of 29,490
Another question I have is, are there any cans in the $130 or lower range like the Pioneer HDJ500(if they had to be described. a bit on the bassy side, yet a bit balanced as described by a fellow user here forgot the s/n), but with a wider sound stage, and better instrument separation? I am starting to warm up to the all around sq of it, but the sound stage and instrument separation I am starting to realize is a bit lacking for me. Would really like to get another pair Sennheisers, or try out AKG or Beyerdynamic do any of these brands offer anything I'm looking for?  Thanks

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #21,648 of 29,490
Just looking for a quick answer. Or a general idea
I'm buying my dad some headphones for his ham radio (ICOM ic-756pro) and am unsure of what sensitivity/ohm rating I should be looking for based on the specs of his radio.

I've read up on the subject of ohms/sensitivity before but remained kinda confused
Keep in mind that this is for Mono (headphones can be stereo), voices and tones. Clarity is important but is more about limiting distortion and clipping (might be the wrong word)

Specifications from radio manual:
HEADPHONE JACK [PHONES]
Accepts headphones.
•Output power: 5 mW with an 8 Ω load.
•When headphones are connected, the internal speaker
or connected external speaker does not function

Any idea what I should be looking for as far as headphone ratings are concerned?

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #21,650 of 29,490
Quote:
The DT770 Pro 80-Ohm are bassy headphones and slightly U-shaped sound.
The AKG K242HD (Semi-open) is the latest revision of the K240 series and I think it would be better for music then the DT770.

It might be helpful to know what DAC(s) are use in the Motif 6?
I would assume(?) they are good as the Mosif costs over $2000.

Adding an external DAC/Head Amp. might improve the audio qualities over directly plugging the K242HD directly into the Yamaha's headphone jack.
But it's really an unknown how much you would have to spend to really make a difference, or you could be very happy with the sound of the headphones plugged directly into the Yamaha.

the k240 would be good for me as live act  headphones and for just jamming at home quietly  connected to the motif 6 head jack ?
what is DAC?

thanks
Niv

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #21,651 of 29,490
Hello guys, i just got an offer for a DT 880 Premium 250 ohm at 220$ in Europe (amazon price is about 400$). I usually listen to rock and classical and i will use them for gaming. Are they any good for that?

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #21,652 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello guys, i just got an offer for a DT 880 Premium 250 ohm at 220$ in Europe (amazon price is about 400$). I usually listen to rock and classical and i will use them for gaming. Are they any good for that?

I got mine used (brand new but open box) on amazon for $218, 600 ohm version, so if thats new especially - I'd hop on that!

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #21,653 of 29,490
Its time to grab a pair of over the ears and i wanted some opinions from the community.

Sound- I listen to mainly rock and alternative music, so im looking for a neutral set that isnt to crazy on the bass, but alittle pop wouldnt hurt. The headphones will also be unamped and mainly used in an ipod or laptop

Built - Sound isolation and comfort are the most important i think for theses pair, since i will be using them to do homework for hours at a time, and hopefully drown out the sound f everyone around me.

price range- $100-200, but hopefully on the lower end so maybe $175ish.

A few models I have looked at so far, please feel to add your opinion
ATH m50
V-MODA Crossfade LP
SRH 840

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #21,654 of 29,490
My my question, I'm now considering just getting cheaper ones, ie less then $100.
I didnt mention, but I am currently a deployed Marine, so I have no options of trying any of the more expensive headphones I'm looking it, and just cannot make up my mind. Thinking maybe get cheaper ones to hold me over until I get back, then find places to listen to the better more expensive ones.

So, what should I look at for under $100?

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #21,655 of 29,490
My my question, I'm now considering just getting cheaper ones, ie less then $100.
I didnt mention, but I am currently a deployed Marine, so I have no options of trying any of the more expensive headphones I'm looking it, and just cannot make up my mind. Thinking maybe get cheaper ones to hold me over until I get back, then find places to listen to the better more expensive ones.

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #21,656 of 29,490
Quote:
Just looking for a quick answer. Or a general idea
I'm buying my dad some headphones for his ham radio (ICOM ic-756pro) and am unsure of what sensitivity/ohm rating I should be looking for based on the specs of his radio.

I've read up on the subject of ohms/sensitivity before but remained kinda confused
Keep in mind that this is for Mono (headphones can be stereo), voices and tones. Clarity is important but is more about limiting distortion and clipping (might be the wrong word)

Specifications from radio manual:
HEADPHONE JACK [PHONES]
Accepts headphones.
•Output power: 5 mW with an 8 Ω load.
•When headphones are connected, the internal speaker
or connected external speaker does not function

Any idea what I should be looking for as far as headphone ratings are concerned?

I used to listen to shortwave (on radios less advanced than ICOMs).  For that application, you do not want full-range hi-fi headphones, but something that emphasizes voice intelligibility and actually filters out the high frequencies, and possibly the low frequencies as well---hum was a problem for me.  A very expensive possibility may be the Beyerdynamic DT48E (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/historic-beyerdynamic-dt-48-e-25-ohm).  Another possibility may be to look for headphones from shortwave/communications companies, such as Grove: see http://www.grove-ent.com/speakers.html for a couple of headphones designed for communications applications.

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #21,657 of 29,490
So I am looking at my first entry into the nice headphone world in the mid range bracket, really my budget is $100-$200. I will definitely need a closed headphone, and ideally one that is portable and durable. Also, I will probably be using these commuting a lot, but also in libraries a lot (finishing senior year of high school, then college next year).

As such, it seems like the battle is between the TMA-1s and the HD 25s : bassier vs neutral.  I know this is a topic that comes up a lot, but I'm looking for answers that aren't just "one is darker and has recessed highs," I know that, I'm looking for what that actually means in the context of what I listen to/do.  You'll see what I mean below.  Thanks so much in advance!

I have to say, I love the look of the TMA-1s (I'm a bit of a sucker for design, plus anything that has to do with 2001...). Everything I read about them seems to be amazing. I would love to get these guys, the only thing I am worried about - the recessed highs. How much of an impact does this make/do you think this is that serious? I listen to a lot of psychy/flowery stuff, and these headphones are frequently described as dark and I would figure that those genres don't benefit immensely from this. Take Animal Collective and Tame Impala, two of my favorite bands, as the perfect example of full, bright, lush, detailed sound: how would they fair with the TMA-1s? Seems like recessed highs would be problematic, but since I'm still new to this world, I wonder - is that correct/would I even notice? Can someone give me what they mean by "minimal electronic" since that can mean I lot of different things?

I also listen to lots of sorta dronier psych (think Bardo Pond, Spacemen 3, my absolute favorite Sun Araw, etc), and lots and lots of early 90s shoegazey stuff (think Galaxie 500, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Yo La Tengo, My Bloody Valentine, Stereolab etc). Also love lots of kraut stuff new and old (Harmonia, Can, Cluster, Neu, Beak> etc) and analog synthy/ambient stuff (Manuel Gottsching, right now I am LOVING Forma's first album/the Laurie Spiegel reissue the Expanding Universe - use that as a perfect example of what I mean by ambient/synthy).

So yeah, I'm wondering how the TMA-1s will handle these sorts of sounds - will it be problematic, or is it not that noticeable ? How about for someone commuting/new to nice-headphoneland?

On the other hand, I'm a bassist, and definitely love it when I can really hear a bass line crystal clear.

One more thing to take into account: I have (mild) high frequency hearing loss... too many concerts... don't really know how significant that is, figured I'd mention it.

When I've used "studio"-ish headphones before I have really enjoyed the sort of full/very clear sound of them, but I'm not sure if that's just because they are nicer than any headphones I am used to using. So yeah, I'm wondering if HD25's would be right for me or TMA-1s. Hard to know what my preference is without much experience. Also, the TMA-1s being slightly lighter on the wallet is nice... I am just afraid about what it may (but hopefully not at all!) do to the music!

One last thing: I wear glasses - will that affect the comfort of the already tight HD25s/are HD25s bad for commuting?

If my worries about the TMA-1 are true, would just using some treble boosting arrangement EQ work out?   

Sorry for such a long post, I just figured the more information the better picture I could paint of my situation and the easier it would be for yall to help me out. Oh, and if you have any other headphones you would recommend for me, I'm all ears ( :wink: ). I've been saving money for a long time for this, so it's just a big deal for me. Your help is much appreciated. tyvmia

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #21,658 of 29,490
Looking for recs for closed headphone (to wear in a shared office) that sounds like the Denon D2000's that are currently sitting on my desk but don't have the Denon cans' abysmal build quality. (The Denons are sitting on my desk because the hinges are made from sub-par materials and the screw-socket on the right side of the headband is apparently stripped - it won't stay back in.)

Budget is what's required for the sound and build quality I want, and not a cent more.

Any recs?

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #21,660 of 29,490

yes they are a very fine headphone for that and they are very comfortable due to the velour ear pads. You will need an amp to run them. Fiio E10 is a cheap amp that plugs directly into your computer like an external sound card. It will run them very well. If you want to invest more try the ODAC+O2 amp.

Its time to grab a pair of over the ears and i wanted some opinions from the community.
Sound- I listen to mainly rock and alternative music, so im looking for a neutral set that isnt to crazy on the bass, but alittle pop wouldnt hurt. The headphones will also be unamped and mainly used in an ipod or laptop
Built - Sound isolation and comfort are the most important i think for theses pair, since i will be using them to do homework for hours at a time, and hopefully drown out the sound f everyone around me.
price range- $100-200, but hopefully on the lower end so maybe $175ish.
A few models I have looked at so far, please feel to add your opinion
ATH m50
V-MODA Crossfade LP
SRH 840

The 840 and M50 are good choices. Check to make sure the cable length is okay with you and wether you want coiled or straight. (nearly 10 ft long) The KRK KNS8400 is another one with good isolation in your price range.

Sir pls list out your music preferences and where you are hoping to get them purchased (i.e. US then mailed out to you or in another country)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back