++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 29, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #21,632 of 29,490
KNS do look nice, but it's a bit more than I prefer to spend. How are the KNS6400? Anything else I should take a look at? 

I didn't listen to those. I read in a thread on the two they were also very good and close to the 8400. I am sure you can find that fairly easily in a search. Try using google to do the search with site:head-fi.org in the search. I find it gets better results.

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #21,633 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
I am getting a headache with all the different information I have been reading in my search for headphones to purchase. Finally decided to create an account, hopefully I'll get much better advice tailored for myself, rather than what I am reading recommended for others.

Originally decided on Grado 225i, but mind was changed to wanting closed headphones for the isolation. I am by no means a bass head at all. Comfort, build quality and music clarity are probably the biggest things I'm looking for, not in that order.

My budget is about 200ish, but like most, less is better, but I am also in a financial position where spending more wont be an issue either. I am not object to getting an amp if it really will help improve the performance.

I have been looking at everything from Beyerdynamic COPS, 770 pros, to Ultrasone 780s, vmoda, and many many more, but cannot for the life of me choose. What would be best for me.

I would like them to be semi portable if possible, but not a requirement. Would like if they came with some sort of case, but again not a deciding factor.

I listen to quite a bit of newer country, rock, alternative rock, acoustic mainly. As well as little rap.

Some of the artists I listen to include Rascal Flatts, Keith Urban, Hedley, The Script, Jason Mraz, Tyler Hilton, Eminem, as well as many more.

If it matters, my entire music collection is in flac format. My portable player is a Cowon S9, but I do have plans on replacing that in the next year or so.

Appreciate any help I may receive.

I would recommend looking at the AKG K550 or the newer 551 if you desire a shorter cable with controls. I find it to do well with your music preference, they have a great spacial presentation as well. Only warning is If you wear glasses or have a small head you may have seal issues resulting in anemic bass.

Good cans, provided you can achieve a proper seal, but a bit above the stated budget--especially if bought new.

In the $200 +/- price range, I would consider the Sennheiser HD25-1 II for portablity; the Shure SRH 840 for a "just a bit above neutral" bass; and the KRK KNS 8400 for neutral sound.

The large DT 770 pro is a good and very comfortable choice if bass--just below basshead territory--is your thing and you are OK with recessed mids.

Nov 29, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #21,634 of 29,490
I have to choose between 2 pair of headphones. (I listen to classical and watch movies.)

1. ATH-AD900...............189$
2. AKG Q701.................242$

Wich one is best for me and best for their price.
Thank you.

Nov 29, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #21,636 of 29,490
Quote:

What sound signature are you seeking?

Out of what will you be playing these cans?

Are you OK with open cans--they leak sound?

In my original post, I listed the bands and genre I'm into.

Some genre's of music I listen to: Alice in Chains, Buckethead, Chevelle, Led Zeppelin, Mother Love Bone, Mudhoney, Neil Young, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, The Offspring, Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd, Rage Against The Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Screaming Trees, The Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Tool, etc... As you can see, mainly rock from the 70s and 90s.

I'm fine with the headphones leaking sound. I currently have the HD 555s. My main question is what headphones would best suit my interests above for $800 or less?

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #21,639 of 29,490
Can anyone help out with the question I asked? 
Best under $100 preferably and I already had a couple models in mind that I'd like someone to inform me more about.
Steelseries Siberia V2, Sony MDRV55s, Headrush Fusion or Audio Technica ATH A900's to be specific.

Really would appreciate any help. :)

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #21,640 of 29,490
Quote:
I have to choose between 2 pair of headphones. (I listen to classical and watch movies.)

1. ATH-AD900...............189$
2. AKG Q701.................242$

Wich one is best for me and best for their price.
Thank you.

Both are good--the Q701 is better in all respects and of much better build quality.  It also comes with detachable cabels of different lengths.

The AT is better if you are not going to use an amp.

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #21,641 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

What sound signature are you seeking?

Out of what will you be playing these cans?

Are you OK with open cans--they leak sound?

In my original post, I listed the bands and genre I'm into.

Some genre's of music I listen to: Alice in Chains, Buckethead, Chevelle, Led Zeppelin, Mother Love Bone, Mudhoney, Neil Young, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, The Offspring, Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd, Rage Against The Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Screaming Trees, The Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Tool, etc... As you can see, mainly rock from the 70s and 90s.

I'm fine with the headphones leaking sound. I currently have the HD 555s. My main question is what headphones would best suit my interests above for $800 or less?

Sound signature of a can is different than your preferred musical genres.

For $800 or less new--get the HiFiMan HE 500.  In addition you will need a good amp--at least equal to the Schiit Asgard.

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #21,642 of 29,490
Quote:
Can anyone help out with the question I asked? 
Best under $100 preferably and I already had a couple models in mind that I'd like someone to inform me more about.
Steelseries Siberia V2, Sony MDRV55s, Headrush Fusion or Audio Technica ATH A900's to be specific.

Really would appreciate any help. :)

The CAL! is very good and once again reasonably priced at places like Amazon.  However, it might not be bass heavy enough for your taste.

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #21,643 of 29,490
Quote:
Sound signature of a can is different than your preferred musical genres.

For $800 or less new--get the HiFiMan HE 500.  In addition you will need a good amp--at least equal to the Schiit Asgard.

What exactly do you mean by sound signature? And how does Sennhesier HD650s and Grado RS1's compare to the HE 500 you mention for rock music?

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #21,644 of 29,490
Quote:
The CAL! is very good and once again reasonably priced at places like Amazon.  However, it might not be bass heavy enough for your taste.

Do you mean these?
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA
I've never heard of them before but bass isn't a problem with me. I actually find that a lot of bass is too muddy and overpowers any other sound, at least in my own opinion. Something a bit more neutral is more my taste.

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #21,645 of 29,490
Does the Hifiman HE400 offer anything really unique, from the Grado SR325is, or Senn HD650?  I just got an E7/E9 so amplification isn't really a limiting factor anymore.

Which genres does the HE400 excell at, and which genres does it not?

I'm wondering if now that I have these two great headphones, and enough power to keep them happy, should I just stop upgrading/sidegrading 
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back