++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 29, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #21,616 of 29,490
Hi there. I just made an account here to ask this question since you guys seem like you know what you're talking about.
I know I'll probably come across as very new to this and possibly annoyingly so, so sorry in advance.

I'm looking for a really good set of headphones mainly for listening to music on my iPod or on my computer preferably for under $100. I'd like them to be fairly cool looking too but I don't really mind the look too much, it's just a preference.

I listen to a very wide range of music from power pop, death metal, rock, alternative, trance, deep house, ambient, classical, and some dubstep. I've looked at a few but I constantly hear different things about each pair. Steelseries' Siberia V2 looked really interesting and it'd be awesome to double as a gaming headset but if they're only just sub par or average for music, I won't bother. I'm not sure about them though, as I've never tested them first hand.

My second choice is the Sony MDR V55s. I tried them on at Best Buy and they sounded amazing but the only small gripe I have is that there isn't any noise isolation which kind of bugs me. Then there were the Headrush Fusions which I randomly came across but know virtually nothing about but they're $40, noise canceling and supposed to be one of those hidden gem type deals. And finally the Audio Technica AD700s looked really good but I heard there was virtually no bass at all which is worrisome.

Which of these would be the best option or does anyone else have any better suggestions?

Again, sorry if these are "n00bish" questions to ask but I could use some help lol

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #21,617 of 29,490
I just purchased the the Pioneer HDJ500. Really like them a lot as they look nice and for the most party are comfortable. The only qualm I have is the bass is a bit muddy imho, & the cups run a bit hot side(a bit dealable). That said I am not fully sold on them so I'm here looking for suggestions. I am looking for something in $130 range that have the same/similar SQ, & frequency range as the HDJ500, but with a more balanced bass(kind of like how the Klipsch X5 I own are). Thanks. 

Take a look at those KRK's KG Jag just recommended. Slight bass emphasis but very nice balanced closed headphone. About 140 at amazon.

edit: model kns8400

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #21,618 of 29,490
Quote:
Take a look at those KRK's KG Jag just recommended. Slight bass emphasis but very nice balanced closed headphone. About 140 at amazon.
edit: model kns8400

Thank you Is there a difference between the KNS 8400 and 8400 Reference model, or are they the same thing? 

Would returning the HDJ500 for the HDJ1000 or HDJ1500 fix what I am looking for or are they more the same? I really do like the looks & comfort(for the most part) of the HDJ500 over the KNS & pricier Pioneer models, but something about the bass, and balance has me thinking something else.  

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #21,620 of 29,490
this is what the above is in relation to.

Been looking at many headphones over last few days but need some more suggestions.

Was looking at HD 598 but was put of by bad (IMO) cable design as it uses a silly 2.5mm jack.

So can someone please Recomend me some Headphones that are good for listning to all types of music and are under £150 that also have a detachable cable and are very durable please, open or closed ether is fine.

Basicly all round headphones for my Tablet, laptop and Tv and music player...needs to be run unamped or an amp included in the price.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #21,622 of 29,490
My mother, being the wonderful person she is, gave me a pair of Dre Beat Studo's for my 23rd this year.  While I do appreciate her thought, they just.... fail.
I've had them waaay past the return date, (trying to give them a chance) so I can't return them....
So I got the idea to sell them on eBay and "trade" them for a better pair of headphones.
I'm guessing they will sell for $120 or less, so that's the price range I've been looking at, nothing more. (using eBay as a price guide)

Some features i've been searching for are:
Noise Isolation- Both leaking and receiving. I work in a studio environment, so I don't want my music to get out, as well as keeping all those gabbers quiet so they don't ruin my sweet tracks. 
COMFORT- I've been wearing my headphones for 5-6 hours almost every day...sometimes I fall asleep with them on. (The Beats make ears grumble after just a few hours.)
Tight Bass - not overpowering, but perhaps slightly above average.
Durability-  Can I toss them in my bag everyday and not have anything fall off?

I've been bombarded with a plethora of headphones. These are the ones that have boiled to the top of the soup. 
(In price order)
AKG K271 MKII ~ $120
Audio Technica ATH-M50 ~ $110
Ultrasone HFI-580 ~ $110
Fostex Audio T50RP ~ $110
KRK System KNS-8400 ~ $100
V-MODA Crossfade LP2 ~ $100
CREATIVE  Aurvana Live ~ $ 80
Noontec Zoro ~ $80
Shure SRH440 ~ $70
CitiScape Uptown ~ $70
Sennheiser HD 280 ~ $70
Sony MDR-V6 ~ $60
Koss Pro DJ100 ~ $60
Monoprice 8328 ~ $40
AKG K81DJ ~ $35

I'd like to know what you wonderful audiophiles think could become my new best friend, what pair would best suit what I'm looking for, and which ones I should probably just cross off the list right now. 

As of posting, I'd say my top 5 would be the: M50s, KRKs, V-MODAs, MDR-V6s & the Uptowns.
Let me know if I'm bass ackwords,or on the right track. 

Feel free to leave suggestions, but please make sure it's within the price range, and available in the US.

THANKS.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #21,623 of 29,490
Thank you Is there a difference between the KNS 8400 and 8400 Reference model, or are they the same thing? 

Would returning the HDJ500 for the HDJ1000 or HDJ1500 fix what I am looking for or are they more the same? I really do like the looks & comfort(for the most part) of the HDJ500 over the KNS & pricier Pioneer models, but something about the bass, and balance has me thinking something else.  

There is just one kns8400 on krk's website.

I haven't tried those pioneers and i haven't seen much posted about them. The krk will handle your middy bass issue.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #21,624 of 29,490
the KRK headphone already recommended is the best sounding removable cable HP in that price range for 150 that i know of.

Please look at the posting guidelines regarding bumping your request.

EDIT: Sorry meant to say removable cable headphone..... fixed.....

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #21,626 of 29,490

Headphones for a Keyboard Player

hello

i am a keyboard player for a long time and i would like to buy a pair of headphones for live stage music and playing at home with headphones that are connected directly to the workstation (i have a motif 6)

headphones that ive watched on the web are:

Beyerdynamic dt 770 80ohm
AKG K240

if you have other good options for me please let me know :)

which one of those headphones are better for a keyboard player that wants a great sound when he is playing ?

thank you all

Niv

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #21,627 of 29,490
I am getting a headache with all the different information I have been reading in my search for headphones to purchase. Finally decided to create an account, hopefully I'll get much better advice tailored for myself, rather than what I am reading recommended for others.

Originally decided on Grado 225i, but mind was changed to wanting closed headphones for the isolation. I am by no means a bass head at all. Comfort, build quality and music clarity are probably the biggest things I'm looking for, not in that order.
My budget is about 200ish, but like most, less is better, but I am also in a financial position where spending more wont be an issue either. I am not object to getting an amp if it really will help improve the performance.

I have been looking at everything from Beyerdynamic COPS, 770 pros, to Ultrasone 780s, vmoda, and many many more, but cannot for the life of me choose. What would be best for me.

I would like them to be semi portable if possible, but not a requirement. Would like if they came with some sort of case, but again not a deciding factor.

I listen to quite a bit of newer country, rock, alternative rock, acoustic mainly. As well as little rap.

Some of the artists I listen to include Rascal Flatts, Keith Urban, Hedley, The Script, Jason Mraz, Tyler Hilton, Eminem, as well as many more.

If it matters, my entire music collection is in flac format. My portable player is a Cowon S9, but I do have plans on replacing that in the next year or so.

Appreciate any help I may receive.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #21,628 of 29,490
I am getting a headache with all the different information I have been reading in my search for headphones to purchase. Finally decided to create an account, hopefully I'll get much better advice tailored for myself, rather than what I am reading recommended for others.

Originally decided on Grado 225i, but mind was changed to wanting closed headphones for the isolation. I am by no means a bass head at all. Comfort, build quality and music clarity are probably the biggest things I'm looking for, not in that order.

My budget is about 200ish, but like most, less is better, but I am also in a financial position where spending more wont be an issue either. I am not object to getting an amp if it really will help improve the performance.

I have been looking at everything from Beyerdynamic COPS, 770 pros, to Ultrasone 780s, vmoda, and many many more, but cannot for the life of me choose. What would be best for me.

I would like them to be semi portable if possible, but not a requirement. Would like if they came with some sort of case, but again not a deciding factor.

I listen to quite a bit of newer country, rock, alternative rock, acoustic mainly. As well as little rap.

Some of the artists I listen to include Rascal Flatts, Keith Urban, Hedley, The Script, Jason Mraz, Tyler Hilton, Eminem, as well as many more.

If it matters, my entire music collection is in flac format. My portable player is a Cowon S9, but I do have plans on replacing that in the next year or so.

Appreciate any help I may receive.

I would recommend looking at the AKG K550 or the newer 551 if you desire a shorter cable with controls. I find it to do well with your music preference, they have a great spacial presentation as well. Only warning is If you wear glasses or have a small head you may have seal issues resulting in anemic bass.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #21,629 of 29,490
Quote:

Headphones for a Keyboard Player

I am a keyboard player for a long time and i would like to buy a pair of headphones for live stage music and playing at home with headphones that are connected directly to the workstation (i have a motif 6)
headphones that ive watched on the web are:
Beyerdynamic dt 770 80ohm
AKG K240
if you have other good options for me please let me know :)
which one of those headphones are better for a keyboard player that wants a great sound when he is playing ?

The DT770 Pro 80-Ohm are bassy headphones and slightly U-shaped sound.
The AKG K242HD (Semi-open) is the latest revision of the K240 series and I think it would be better for music then the DT770.

It might be helpful to know what DAC(s) are use in the Motif 6?
I would assume(?) they are good as the Mosif costs over $2000.

Adding an external DAC/Head Amp. might improve the audio qualities over directly plugging the K242HD directly into the Yamaha's headphone jack.
But it's really an unknown how much you would have to spend to really make a difference, or you could be very happy with the sound of the headphones plugged directly into the Yamaha.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #21,630 of 29,490
Those do look really nice, though maybe a little more than I want to spend. Maybe I can find a deal that can take 2 forms of payment, using the rest of my visa gift card..
Will look into them more, maybe I can find something to convince me. They are probably some of the better looking headphones I have seen yet though too, which is a major plus. Thank you for the suggestion.
Would love some more opinions though as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back