++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 26, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #21,556 of 29,490
Quote:
DT1350s and momentum headphones are more for reference headphones less djing. your m100s should do more than to suffice for djing. Look at the AKG line or denon. I don't think dj headphones these days wont cost you over $200 cause modern music doesn't have the same hi-fidelity sound as older live recordings cause everything is electronic these days.

You'd be surprised. Many (GOOD) producers and DJs of EDM are audiophiles and there're nuances in the music that either require a loud sound system, or proper headphones to hear them, which is where the music thrives imo. I mean, these guys might MAKE their music on computers, and machines, but the quality of music is no worse than Marley's records - many DJs still use vinyl to press digital music for arguably the best sonic performance, right? 
I'd link a youtube video for example but I'm at work; Noisia - Could This Be, and Opiuo - Creamy Taco are a few tracks that have amazing sonic value, and in coloured headphones, they're nice, but the detail in these songs is really where they shine

I'm looking for a less coloured headphone than M-100, and more of a refrence headphone, than a 'DJ' headphone, for my DJing - When creating  a painting, you want white light, so no colour is washed out, but painting in cool light, or warm light will still have great effect on the atmosphere of the final product. In a way, DJing with M-100s would be like painting the Sistine chapel in strobing orange/purple light lol. That's my line of reasing anyways haha.

So as much as I'm very happy with my M-100 purchase, I want something more balanced - perhaps even cooler and analytical - than M-100s, while still having that bass impact.

EDIT: Upon considering it, I've narrowed my choices to MOMENTUMS, MadDogs and DT1350s. Of the three, which Is most neutral along the highs and mids, with the best bass impact?

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #21,557 of 29,490
Over the last few months, i have been listening to more and more music, and going on longer car-rides, playing more guitar, ect. I have always wanted a decent pair of headphones to just bump up my music experience. 

I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD 439s but have been reading very, very mixed reviews on here. I tried out the 428s and thought they were well balanced but seemed to just not have enough push. 

I need something that i can use for my music (which ranges from classical music, to punk-rock, to pop, ect.), that has little leakage (i'm on the rifle team, need to be quiet), can be used for computers, and can be used for me to play guitar (not really on stage, mostly just in the bed room)

I'll be playing them off of an Ipod Touch (or nano), and am planing on buying a Fiio E6 or E11. 

So are the 439s a good choice for what i need? 

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #21,558 of 29,490
HI,

I'm currently looking for Headphones in the $150 dollar range.

I'm going to use it mostly when I listen to music on my computer, doing an online DJ Set and on my iphone. I listen to all kinds of rock (Indie, Post-Rock, Punk, Emo, Shoegaze, etc), Electronic (Trance, Techno, Synthpop, New Wave, Ambient),  90's rap, and the occasional pop song. I like feeling the thump of the bass in my ears when I listen to electronic music, so something with good bass would be nice.  Comfort is also important. I can go with open headphones, but would prefer closed. I'm also planning on buying  on FiiO E11 since I'm going to be using the headphones with my iphone as well.

I was looking at the Audio-Technia ATHM50 due to the good reviews that I've been reading online. I just want to make sure these would be the right headphones for me.

Thanks

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #21,559 of 29,490
Yes, those are a great choice I was reading your post and was thinking I should recommend those to you before I finished reading it, and noticed you had already had some idea of what they are. The M-50's have alot of bass but I wouldn't really classify it as booming bass, but other than that hey fit your listening style perfectly and you can probably score a new pair at around $100 USD.

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #21,561 of 29,490
Quote:
Over the last few months, i have been listening to more and more music, and going on longer car-rides, playing more guitar, ect. I have always wanted a decent pair of headphones to just bump up my music experience. 

I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD 439s but have been reading very, very mixed reviews on here. I tried out the 428s and thought they were well balanced but seemed to just not have enough push. 

I need something that i can use for my music (which ranges from classical music, to punk-rock, to pop, ect.), that has little leakage (i'm on the rifle team, need to be quiet), can be used for computers, and can be used for me to play guitar (not really on stage, mostly just in the bed room)

I'll be playing them off of an Ipod Touch (or nano), and am planing on buying a Fiio E6 or E11. 

So are the 439s a good choice for what i need? 

I actually just got the HD 439s myself. I have only had them for 2 days now but I really like them. I am running them unamped right now and they are doing quite well. An amp would definitely make a difference. They can run fine off of my mac book pro and with my ipod Classic turned all the way up they are just barely loud enough to my liking. You would probably do great with an E5 or E6 although like I said I haven't tried them. 

They are really comfortable and even unamped they sound great for the price ($80 on sale at best buy). I have been listening to all kinds of music and so far everything has been great. I bought these mainly to be portable and to get a little more bass then the AKG Q701s that I plan to get. These definitely have solid bass, little lacking out of the iPod but would probably be pretty good with an amp. I hooked them up to my turtle beach dss box and played a little Halo 4 and they sounded great for that too. I am betting that I will be using them for xbox and movies a lot more than my x11s! 

So basically, in my short experience with the 439s I have yet to be disappointed. I bought them to use mainly for the same uses as you and I enjoy them. Especially for the price. They are a really great deal. And with a portable amp im sure theyd be really awesome.

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #21,562 of 29,490
I just sold my Audio Technica M40Fs headphones a few days ago and plan to upgrade within the next couple months.  I've been doing research, compaired many different headphones and found the M-Audio Q40's fit my style music perfectly.  (Mostly production value heavy Hip-hop, bass heavy rap, low droney melodic metal, 90's music, and occasionally speed metal)  I also plan to use them with my computer for gaming and with my GSIII when I decide to take them out of the house.  A few forums on here and a good thorough google search made me decided on these headphones, but I wont make a decision without seeing what everyone has to say.  They cost $125 on amazon and are supposedly comparable to the M50's which get nothing but good reviews for a lower priced entry level headphone.   willing to spend upwards of $200 but would have to be WELL worth the extra $75 considering how much these M-Audio's have intrigued me and others.  I also plan to buy either a desktop amp or portable AMP/DAC combo in the future so keep that in mind when making recomendations.  Thanks!

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #21,563 of 29,490
Hi PurpleAngel,

Again, thank You for your reply. I guess i'll piss you off, but i have one more question 
biggrin.gif

Basically i need 3 things (i guess):
1. Sound stage (bigger better right?)
2. Ability to tell where sound is coming from. I would really like to feel when someone is literally in front of me or behind me.
3. Bass. I've read thread where Malveaux says that sub-bass ability is best for movies. 

So again which one of these headphones would fit it best?
AKG K242HD, Sennheiser HD 555 and 558. I've read HD 558 description and it says it has [size=small]Internal Sound Reflector for better surround sound. But what about bass? Design wise akg looks better, but it's not about design right [/size]
biggrin.gif
[size=small] I'm leaning towards HD 558 but damn they are expensive. I'm confused [/size]
confused.gif

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #21,564 of 29,490
Ok I'm new to the audio field.....just bought my 90" sharp led......I want to buy complete surround sound system BUT still got kids in house sooooooo....... I need something of comparable sound but in a smaller quieter package......(headphones obviously mean I'm the only one hearing the sound while everyone else sleeping).....soooo here are the details.....
1. Hardcore gamer and movie watcher
2. Love sports
3.there is no music that I distaste......in essence sound is a beauty that is rarely caught in true form.....one must stop and breakdown what they hear to admire the simplicity yet complexity of it's soul......

I have 6k to spend so I expect the best......give me every option for "top of the line" setup as far as amp/headphone setup is concerned...... Thank you for any input. If I'm missing anything needed to make this setup as "true" as possible please correct me so my money is spent wisely.

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #21,565 of 29,490
Hello all!

I am new to the forum but i joined because i wanted to be a part of something that does not default to "beats by Dre"  as the de-facto choice for headphones. sigh...

Anyway, I already own ath m50s but i want an upgrade

I listen to everything from Sousa, to dubstep, to delta blues and everything in between.  not much classical but a little jazz.

I am a soon to graduate film major so reference quality and comfort is a must for editing.  they need to be accurate and crisp.

Here is the kicker... I will only purchase my new cans from BestBuy so they must stock them or at least have them online, but not marketplace. (dont ask why)

Price is of no concern but the ultra high end cans should be justified if you think they are worth it.

thank you in advance for your help.  Lou

I am also looking for a set of cans from Best Buy as a gift in the $100~$150 range.

some possibilities include:

Beats studio
Pioneer - HDJ-2000-K
Pioneer HDJ-500-R

Pioneer HDJ-1500-S
Logitech - UE 6000
Harman Kardon
AIAIAI - TMA-1 Studio
AIAIAI - TMA-1 Beatport
Skullcandy - Mix Master
Skullcandy - Aviator
ATH-ESW9A
akg K172HD
akg K171MKII
AKG - K550 
AKG K272HD
etc.

Nov 27, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #21,566 of 29,490
you won't purchase from say headroom? or other trustable audio stores
I don't think any of those phones are "refference" in that they have tuned qualities into them , for example the TMA-1 have more bassy sound than most headphone, so is both the skull candies I think

Nov 27, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #21,568 of 29,490
You'd be surprised. Many (GOOD) producers and DJs of EDM are audiophiles and there're nuances in the music that either require a loud sound system, or proper headphones to hear them, which is where the music thrives imo. I mean, these guys might MAKE their music on computers, and machines, but the quality of music is no worse than Marley's records - many DJs still use vinyl to press digital music for arguably the best sonic performance, right? 

I'd link a youtube video for example but I'm at work; Noisia - Could This Be, and Opiuo - Creamy Taco are a few tracks that have amazing sonic value, and in coloured headphones, they're nice, but the detail in these songs is really where they shine

I'm looking for a less coloured headphone than M-100, and more of a refrence headphone, than a 'DJ' headphone, for my DJing - When creating  a painting, you want white light, so no colour is washed out, but painting in cool light, or warm light will still have great effect on the atmosphere of the final product. In a way, DJing with M-100s would be like painting the Sistine chapel in strobing orange/purple light lol. That's my line of reasing anyways haha.

So as much as I'm very happy with my M-100 purchase, I want something more balanced - perhaps even cooler and analytical - than M-100s, while still having that bass impact.

EDIT: Upon considering it, I've narrowed my choices to MOMENTUMS, MadDogs and DT1350s. Of the three, which Is most neutral along the highs and mids, with the best bass impact?

a couple of my friends DJ and they use Technics RP-DH1200
Ive listened to them a couple of times, but dont remember specifics, they did sound good.they fold up, detachable cable. Most of all they are extremely durable.
and if u looking for some popularity with them, Armin van Buuren and Markus Schulz use the same model.

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #21,569 of 29,490
"you won't purchase from say headroom? or other trustable audio stores
I don't think any of those phones are "refference" in that they have tuned qualities into them , for example the TMA-1 have more bassy sound than most headphone, so is both the skull candies I think"

Because i get a really good discount.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #21,570 of 29,490
Hello all!

I am new to the forum but i joined because i wanted to be a part of something that does not default to "beats by Dre"  as the de-facto choice for headphones. sigh...

Anyway, I already own ath m50s but i want an upgrade

I listen to everything from Sousa, to dubstep, to delta blues and everything in between.  not much classical but a little jazz.

I am a soon to graduate film major so reference quality and comfort is a must for editing.  they need to be accurate and crisp.

Here is the kicker... I will only purchase my new cans from BestBuy so they must stock them or at least have them online, but not marketplace. (dont ask why)

Price is of no concern but the ultra high end cans should be justified if you think they are worth it.

thank you in advance for your help.  Lou

I am also looking for a set of cans from Best Buy as a gift in the $100~$150 range.

some possibilities include:

Beats studio

Pioneer - HDJ-2000-K

Pioneer HDJ-500-R

Pioneer HDJ-1500-S
[tr]
[tr] [td]
Logitech - UE 6000

Harman Kardon
[tr]
[tr] [td]
AIAIAI - TMA-1 Studio
[tr]
[tr] [td]
AIAIAI - TMA-1 Beatport

Skullcandy - Mix Master

Skullcandy - Aviator

ATH-ESW9A

akg K172HD

akg K171MKII

AKG - K550 

AKG K272HD

etc.
[tr] [/tr]

[/td][/TR][/tr]

[/td][/TR][/tr]

[/td][/TR][/tr]

The AKG K 550--if you can get a good seal. Beards, sideburns and even glasses can defeat this.

The KRK KNS 8400 is good if they are stocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back