++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 25, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #21,511 of 29,490
Quote:
Absent an outstanding sale (which happen more often this time of year), the Senn HD 558 or ATH-AD900 are probably good choices for you.

The 558 looks good.

Is there a difference between the 558 and the 555?

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #21,512 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello,

I'm looking for some help in deciding on a pair of headphones this week.  I would like to get a pair of headphones for movies, games, music (40%/30%/30%).  For games, I play mostly RPG's and some FPS.  For music, I listen to mostly pop and rock.  I would the headphones with my computer.  I don't have a sound card yet but I plan to get a Xonar DGX.  Comfort is my first priority.  I was all set to pick-up a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD700  (for their comfort) this week for $120 but I saw in the same shop a pair of KRK KNS-8400 on sale for $115.  I started to think about how the KRK's would have a more balanced sound yet still decent comfort.  Which would you recommend for me?

Quote:
Technical Pro HPT990 (TakStar Hi 2050), $69.99
Will work fine with the Xonar DGX.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Technical-Pro-HPT990-Professional-Headphone-/330828868399?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4d06efeb2f

I live in Canada, so it looks like it's going to difficult to get HPT990's.  Could you recommend me another headphone or tell me why the AD700 and/or the KNS-8400 might not be suitable choices?

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #21,513 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, I am new to head-fi and I currently own a pair of Audio Technica ATH-PRO5V and I would like to upgrade to something else.
A common issue on this headphones was the actual build quality of the headphones. The cups are ripped and the headphones are uncomfortable. The sound quality is something that I like in this pair of headphones. I use this mostly with my PC for music and on my TV to listen to PS2/PS3 sound.  I love the sound quality of the headphones.

So, let me continue about what I want on a new pair of headphones.

Type of headphones:

1. I will not use an amp. I don't afford one.
  2. They need to be comfortable and the build quality needs to be good and strong.
  3. I am looking for a Over ear/On ear headphones
  4. Preferably a detachable cable
  5. Under $120 or 100EUR
  6.  I will be using the headphones on a PC for music and TV for gaming. Gaming doesn't really matter to the sound quality. Music comes first

I listen to Trance mostly. Vocal Trance and Progressive. These are some tracks I listen to often:

Listen to this:
  1. Dash Berlin - Man on the Run [ I want a headphones that can make this song sound BEAUTIFUL! :) ]
  2. Elements of Piano, Vocals and Bass. 
  3. Other songs :
  4. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL933B5F115E377B1A&feature=mh_lolz - My trance playlist
  5. I am looking for nice natural vocals and decent bass (not that it hurts your ear) and a good focus for Trance Music especially the song I mentioned.
  6. I also listen to Rock/Metal but Trance is the first priority.

Some bands I listen to:
  1. Pink Floyd (What I listen mostly out of these)
  2. Megadeth
  3. Slayer
  4. Lamb of God
  5. Kreator
  6. Other melodic bands

Summary:

A strong comfy headphones under $120/100EUR to buy online. Headphones that can handle Pink Floyd and Trance music perfectly. Natural sound quality and preferably a detachable cable. No use of an amp. I will be using the headphones on a PC and TV for music. Gaming doesn't really matter to the sound quality. Music comes first

Thanks,
SolidSnake22 
beyersmile.png

If you can stretch go for the Shure SRH 840

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #21,514 of 29,490
Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade from my Ultrasone Pro 750s  to either the ATH-900x or the AKG K550. At first I was going to get the ATH-900x due to my musical preference. But I read a few reviews that stated the self adjusting wing support mechanism is horrible. 

I have a cheap amp and I usually listen to music from my laptop and ipod.
I mainly listen to J-pop,J-rock, folk, classical and instrumentals if that helps at all.

Thanks!

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #21,515 of 29,490
Hello Head-Fi community. I am planning upgrade my current headphones (Sennheiser HD595/no amp), and I am looking to spend no more than $700 (headphones alone). I really enjoy the signature sound of my 595, and I would like to buy something that sounds similar but better of course. I like the airy sound that it provides as an open hp, and I also like the forwardness it has from the mids to the highs. I don't care much about the lower end (bass) but its always nice to have good balance. I also would like something that is not too hard to drive, so that I don't have to spend too much in a high power amp. From what I have been reading, some of my possible options are:

Shure SRH-1440 
Shure SRH-1840
HIFIman HE-400
Sennheiser... (Hard to drive from what I have read; do recommend one if you consider it necessary).

From what I have read, the 1440s are really good hp for vocals because of its forward mids. What I am worried about is that it may be too bright (I don't really know much about levels of brightness so I am not sure if this would be something good or bad for me). Personally I think the 595s are relatively bright and I enjoy it, specially because its coupled with that airness of an open hp. It makes vocals and instruments sound more alive and detailed. 
Now, the 1840 appeal me not only because of their look and build, or the fact that they are the flagship Shure hp, but because they seem to have a more balanced sound, and this would eliminate the possibility of overly aggressive highs (which seem to be an issue with the 1440s for some people). However, I am worried that I would prefer the more forward mids that the 1440 have, but I wouldn't mind a more musical sound (1840). Both seem good for vocals to me, but I think that the 1440s are more similar to the 595 than the 1840 are, sonically. I would like your feedback on this, as I think that both Shure headphones have more forward mids than the 595, but the 1840 mids seem darker or laid back when compared directly to the 1440. Once again, if that's the case, it leads me to believe that the 1440 mids might be too forward (hopefully my point is understandable). I would also like a soundstage similar or better (more enjoyable for vocals) than the 595.

The HIFIman HE-400 are a different story. Yes I have read that they are very good for what they cost. Yes I have even read about them being better than most headphones around that price range (if not the best) and beyond. But I have also read about the 4 revisions that have been released since launch. Four revisions. Two of them with issues and flaws. I have also read about people complaining about the costumer service and how they have waited months just to receive their replacement. First of all, I don't want to buy a pair of headphones this expensive, just to see how 2 more revisions are released before 2013, or even beyond. That in my opinion is just unacceptable. I am not saying its wrong, After all, HIFIman is just trying to correct some of the production or manufacturing errors in order to improve their products. But I don't expect high end (relatively) headphones to have major flaws in the first place. I normally wouldn't mind much about the brand or company history, but this is just going too far. I want reliable headphones that will last for a good amount of time, without the company releasing new versions every year. That just shows a lack of research, development and testing. Moving on to the sound, I have read that the 400s are really good overall headphones but I am not so sure about them being better than the Shure's for vocals. After all they seem to have less forward mids in comparison and more pronounced bass. Actually, I was very disappointed when I looked at the FR chart and saw the huge drop between 1000 and 10000 Hz. I am not sure how will that affect sound but to me it seems that vocals won't sound as impressive.

This is by no means a hate thread (towards HIFIman or anything like it. I am just laying down my opinions so that more experienced users can help me reach a decision. 

Now lets talk about amps/dacs (USB).
To sum it up, I want something that of course, makes vocals and related genres sound better. Furthermore I want something that doesn't cost too much (around $150 max). Also, it has to be a good match for whichever headphone you might recommend. I don't care much about portability as I will use it with my desktop and it will stay there. From what I have read, my options could be:

Fiio E17
HRT headstreamer

As a side note, I also play a lot of video games and watch movies/tv shows on my computer, so it would be nice if the headphone/amp combination also performs well on this area. However, music is my priority. Some of the artist I listen to the most are: Adele, Pink, Kelly Clarkson, Maroon 5, FUN, Katy Perry, Christina Perri, One Direction, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, etc.

I would like to get some experienced feedback asap, as there are some good deals and coupons that I would like take advantage of. Feel free to recommend other products too. Thanks.

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #21,516 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade from my Ultrasone Pro 750s  to either the ATH-900x or the AKG K550. At first I was going to get the ATH-A900X due to my musical preference. But I read a few reviews that stated the self adjusting wing support mechanism is horrible. 

I have a cheap amp and I usually listen to music from my laptop and iPod.
I mainly listen to J-pop,J-rock, folk, classical and instrumentals if that helps at all.

I'm guessing the ATH-A900X wing problem is not really that bad, if you let the A900X rest for awhile with the wings held down, it helps some.
Also when I put the A900Xs on and listen to music, I can't help but like them more.

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #21,517 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello Head-Fi community. I am planning upgrade my current headphones (Sennheiser HD595/no amp), and I am looking to spend no more than $700 (headphones alone). I really enjoy the signature sound of my 595, and I would like to buy something that sounds similar but better of course. I like the airy sound that it provides as an open hp, and I also like the forwardness it has from the mids to the highs. I don't care much about the lower end (bass) but its always nice to have good balance. I also would like something that is not too hard to drive, so that I don't have to spend too much in a high power amp. From what I have been reading, some of my possible options are:

Shure SRH-1440 
Shure SRH-1840
HIFIman HE-400
Sennheiser... (Hard to drive from what I have read; do recommend one if you consider it necessary).

From what I have read, the 1440s are really good hp for vocals because of its forward mids. What I am worried about is that it may be too bright (I don't really know much about levels of brightness so I am not sure if this would be something good or bad for me). Personally I think the 595s are relatively bright and I enjoy it, specially because its coupled with that airness of an open hp. It makes vocals and instruments sound more alive and detailed. 
Now, the 1840 appeal me not only because of their look and build, or the fact that they are the flagship Shure hp, but because they seem to have a more balanced sound, and this would eliminate the possibility of overly aggressive highs (which seem to be an issue with the 1440s for some people). However, I am worried that I would prefer the more forward mids that the 1440 have, but I wouldn't mind a more musical sound (1840). Both seem good for vocals to me, but I think that the 1440s are more similar to the 595 than the 1840 are, sonically. I would like your feedback on this, as I think that both Shure headphones have more forward mids than the 595, but the 1840 mids seem darker or laid back when compared directly to the 1440. Once again, if that's the case, it leads me to believe that the 1440 mids might be too forward (hopefully my point is understandable). I would also like a soundstage similar or better (more enjoyable for vocals) than the 595.

The HIFIman HE-400 are a different story. Yes I have read that they are very good for what they cost. Yes I have even read about them being better than most headphones around that price range (if not the best) and beyond. But I have also read about the 4 revisions that have been released since launch. Four revisions. Two of them with issues and flaws. I have also read about people complaining about the costumer service and how they have waited months just to receive their replacement. First of all, I don't want to buy a pair of headphones this expensive, just to see how 2 more revisions are released before 2013, or even beyond. That in my opinion is just unacceptable. I am not saying its wrong, After all, HIFIman is just trying to correct some of the production or manufacturing errors in order to improve their products. But I don't expect high end (relatively) headphones to have major flaws in the first place. I normally wouldn't mind much about the brand or company history, but this is just going too far. I want reliable headphones that will last for a good amount of time, without the company releasing new versions every year. That just shows a lack of research, development and testing. Moving on to the sound, I have read that the 400s are really good overall headphones but I am not so sure about them being better than the Shure's for vocals. After all they seem to have less forward mids in comparison and more pronounced bass. Actually, I was very disappointed when I looked at the FR chart and saw the huge drop between 1000 and 10000 Hz. I am not sure how will that affect sound but to me it seems that vocals won't sound as impressive.

This is by no means a hate thread (towards HIFIman or anything like it. I am just laying down my opinions so that more experienced users can help me reach a decision. 

Now lets talk about amps/dacs (USB).
To sum it up, I want something that of course, makes vocals and related genres sound better. Furthermore I want something that doesn't cost too much (around $150 max). Also, it has to be a good match for whichever headphone you might recommend. I don't care much about portability as I will use it with my desktop and it will stay there. From what I have read, my options could be:

Fiio E17
HRT headstreamer

As a side note, I also play a lot of video games and watch movies/tv shows on my computer, so it would be nice if the headphone/amp combination also performs well on this area. However, music is my priority. Some of the artist I listen to the most are: Adele, Pink, Kelly Clarkson, Maroon 5, FUN, Katy Perry, Christina Perri, One Direction, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, etc.

I would like to get some experienced feedback asap, as there are some good deals and coupons that I would like take advantage of. Feel free to recommend other products too. Thanks.

Ok, first off, thank you for clearly laying out what you want.

Now, in my mind as you liked the 595 and want balance. The next logical step would be the HD600. They ought be well within your price bracket, especially if you buy used. The have fantastic air and a terrific sound stage IMO. Amp wise, according to what I've read, they are less finicky than their sisters, the HD650. That said, the are 300 ohms. Though that's not small it's no behemoth, comparatively speaking (que some of the high end hifimans). I drive mine off a symetrix 304 with a fiio e10 dac. The symetrix is a pro style amp. Essentially what that means it that they were designed for studio use. They don't get much notice around here, but i believe pro amps are an untapped gold deposit. The E10 is said to be very similar to the E17 in terms of DAC quality. The amp, I'm not sure, though it's be said the E10's strength isn't its amp, but again, i don't have the power hungry beasts to prove or disprove. Good things have also been said about its pairing with the O2+odac. Tube amps have also be suggested. All viable route in their own route. Anyway, for balance, good air, and sound stage, as well as enjoying the 595, the HD600 is the next logical step. Hope that helps.

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #21,518 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok, first off, thank you for clearly laying out what you want.

Now, in my mind as you liked the 595 and want balance. The next logical step would be the HD600. They ought be well within your price bracket, especially if you buy used. The have fantastic air and a terrific sound stage IMO. Amp wise, according to what I've read, they are less finicky than their sisters, the HD650. That said, the are 300 ohms. Though that's not small it's no behemoth, comparatively speaking (que some of the high end hifimans). I drive mine off a symetrix 304 with a fiio e10 dac. The symetrix is a pro style amp. Essentially what that means it that they were designed for studio use. They don't get much notice around here, but i believe pro amps are an untapped gold deposit. The E10 is said to be very similar to the E17 in terms of DAC quality. The amp, I'm not sure, though it's be said the E10's strength isn't its amp, but again, i don't have the power hungry beasts to prove or disprove. Good things have also been said about its pairing with the O2+odac. Tube amps have also be suggested. All viable route in their own route. Anyway, for balance, good air, and sound stage, as well as enjoying the 595, the HD600 is the next logical step. Hope that helps.

Thank you for your response. The thing I don't like about the higher end Senns is that they are pretty hard to drive, thus using any portable devices (cellphone, ipod, etc) with them is out of question (Its not a priority but its something I still have to consider). I would like to know if they (namely the HD600/650) are much better than the Shures for vocals or they just sound different. I have read that the Senns can be too warm or veiled for vocals (lack detail). If the senns are actually superior to the shures for vocals and overall, I would consider getting them together with a powerful enough amp. Also, could I use a Fiio e17 to properly drive the HD600/650?

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #21,520 of 29,490
Quote:
The thing I don't like about the higher end Senns is that they are pretty hard to drive [...]

If this isn't your personal experience, I suggest you ignore that claim. It's a tale often repeated, lacking in truth.

In fact, they're easy to drive. It just that they're revealing and will let you hear your source, DAC, and amp. If your source, DAC, or amp sounds bad, they'll let your hear the badness.

I would like to know if they (namely the HD600/650) are much better than the Shures for vocals or they just sound different. I have read that the Senns can be too warm or veiled for vocals (lack detail).

The HD-650, at least, does wonderfully with vocals and don't lack detail.

Quote:
Also, could I use a Fiio e17 to properly drive the HD600/650?

Why not? Within its design limits, the FiiO E5 drives the HD-650 quite nicely. The only problem I had was overloading its inputs when I used a DAC designed for recording professionals. I turned down the volume at the source (foobar2000) and it performed amazingly well for a $20 amp. I replaced with with a $250 M-Stage which I like better but it's not 12 times as good.

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #21,521 of 29,490
Howdy all - I just bought a pair of the m50's on amazon for a closed set, and looking for another set for more critical listening.  Well... I guess I should background that one... I'm a recovering audiophile.  From back in the day (ie, BEFORE CHILDREN) I had time to geek out with my analogue gear and enjoy sitting around for extended periods listening to fine vinyl. With a 5,4, and 1 year old, those days are gone for the forseable future... :)  Anyways, what I can do is sneak a listen periodically on some headphones.  I probably won't get into buying an amp/dac for now (recovering gear head), and prefer simplicity.  I would like to find an open sounding hp with tight bass, non-searing highs, and I don't mind a warm tilt.  Preference is for jazz / funk / acid jazz.I figure there must be a point of diminishing returns for non-amp driven gear (flac files from my phone or even some decent quality aac files) where additional resolution is going to not help, or worse, reveal too many flaws... :)

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #21,522 of 29,490
Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade from my Ultrasone Pro 750s  to either the ATH-900x or the AKG K550. At first I was going to get the ATH-900x due to my musical preference. But I read a few reviews that stated the self adjusting wing support mechanism is horrible. 

I have a cheap amp and I usually listen to music from my laptop and ipod.

Thanks!

The AKG K550 is indeed a nice headphone for your choice of music in any case. If you have a small head or wear glasses I would avoid them due to seal issues. . I found Q701 to be even more comfy but barely got a chance to use them. I enjoyed them a lot but required boosting the bass with my Fiio to really enjoy them.

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #21,523 of 29,490
Absent an outstanding sale (which happen more often this time of year), the Senn HD 558 or ATH-AD900 are probably good choices for you.

The 558 looks good.

Is there a difference between the 558 and the 555?

Yes--the 555 is an older model. This vintage has been reported to have build problems (cracking) and less sound quality than the new 5x8 line.

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #21,524 of 29,490
So guys, I figured I'd give this thread a shot too.
I am looking to buy on-ear/over-ear headphones, they will mainly be used for listening to music, gaming and maybe a movie or two. I mainly listen to hardstyle, punk/rock and house music, so a decent, but not overdone bass would be nice. Music/sound quality is of course my main priority, as even while gaming I mostly listen to music anyway :) Preferably comfortable too, so that I can use them for a few hours straight without hurting my ears (too much). I will probably be driving them straight off my sound card (my cheap Xonar DG) or in some cases my phone/iPod, as I probably can't afford any other gear with it. Oh and if they look nice that's an added bonus :)
I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD205s, and although they are pretty good, the lack of comfort and lack of bass is really making me keen for some new headphones. I have about $75-100 to spend, keeping in mind that electronics usually costs a lot more in New Zealand than it would in the US/Europe. If anyone has any suggestions for a worthy upgrade over my HD205s, they would be much appreciated.

Flozzo

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #21,525 of 29,490
Howdy all - I just bought a pair of the m50's on amazon for a closed set, and looking for another set for more critical listening.  Well... I guess I should background that one... I'm a recovering audiophile.  From back in the day (ie, BEFORE CHILDREN) I had time to geek out with my analogue gear and enjoy sitting around for extended periods listening to fine vinyl. With a 5,4, and 1 year old, those days are gone for the forseable future... :)  Anyways, what I can do is sneak a listen periodically on some headphones.  I probably won't get into buying an amp/dac for now (recovering gear head), and prefer simplicity.  I would like to find an open sounding hp with tight bass, non-searing highs, and I don't mind a warm tilt.  Preference is for jazz / funk / acid jazz.I figure there must be a point of diminishing returns for non-amp driven gear (flac files from my phone or even some decent quality aac files) where additional resolution is going to not help, or worse, reveal too many flaws... :)

Some cans that don't need an amp are quite good. Am I correct that you are looking for open/semi-open cans? What is your budget?

All that said--even 45 to 50 years ago it was garbage in = garbage out when played a decent "going to college" component stereo system. So that hasn't changed much, except with regard to the details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back