++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 25, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #21,496 of 29,490
Hello, I am new to head-fi and I currently own a pair of Audio Technica ATH-PRO5V and I would like to upgrade to something else.
A common issue on this headphones was the actual build quality of the headphones. The cups are ripped and the headphones are uncomfortable. The sound quality is something that I like in this pair of headphones. I use this mostly with my PC for music and on my TV to listen to PS2/PS3 sound.  I love the sound quality of the headphones.

So, let me continue about what I want on a new pair of headphones.

Type of headphones:

1. I will not use an amp. I don't afford one.
  2. They need to be comfortable and the build quality needs to be good and strong.
  3. I am looking for a Over ear/On ear headphones
  4. Preferably a detachable cable
  5. Under $120 or 100EUR
  6.  I will be using the headphones on a PC for music and TV for gaming. Gaming doesn't really matter to the sound quality. Music comes first

I listen to Trance mostly. Vocal Trance and Progressive. These are some tracks I listen to often:

Listen to this:
  1. Dash Berlin - Man on the Run [ I want a headphones that can make this song sound BEAUTIFUL! :) ]
  2. Elements of Piano, Vocals and Bass. 
  3. Other songs :
  4. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL933B5F115E377B1A&feature=mh_lolz - My trance playlist
  5. I am looking for nice natural vocals and decent bass (not that it hurts your ear) and a good focus for Trance Music especially the song I mentioned.
  6. I also listen to Rock/Metal but Trance is the first priority.

Some bands I listen to:
  1. Pink Floyd (What I listen mostly out of these)
  2. Megadeth
  3. Slayer
  4. Lamb of God
  5. Kreator
  6. Other melodic bands

Summary:

A strong comfy headphones under $120/100EUR to buy online. Headphones that can handle Pink Floyd and Trance music perfectly. Natural sound quality and preferably a detachable cable. No use of an amp. I will be using the headphones on a PC and TV for music. Gaming doesn't really matter to the sound quality. Music comes first

Thanks,
SolidSnake22 
beyersmile.png

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #21,497 of 29,490
Type of headphones I am looking for:

-Over the ear
-Closed back (good isolation)
-$80 max budget
-Good/deep sub bass
-Forward Mids
-Unamped
-Used for almost everything (music, movies, gaming)

thanks

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #21,498 of 29,490
Quote:
I'd go with either the closed Shure or the open Senn. Assuming that both open and closed cans will meet your needs, go with the Shure if bass is more important. Go with the Senn if sound stage and highs trump bass.

Yes, either closed back or open back would work in the situation I'm using. Do the SRH840s have good separation? I read a couple of times that the HD558s have wonderful separation, I want the present bass of the Shures, but the separation of the Sennheisers, which is why I'm asking, because in the reviews I've read of the Shures, no body really talk too much about the separation. I also figured if there is just a better headphone in my price range for my needs, that I don't know about, itd be smart to ask here. 

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #21,499 of 29,490
Am I doing something wrong? I've posted my question three times and it just seems to get looked over every time.

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #21,500 of 29,490
Quote:
Sure, but it would be helpful to us (and ultimately to you) for you to describe the sound signature that you are seeking and what, if anything, you will be amping these new cans.
The Alessandro MS-1, Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and AKG K240MKII - AKG STUDIO STANDARD SEMI OPEN are all good in general but also different among themselves

I'd like to stay away from a V shaped sound signature, overall bright sound signature and anything that has harsh treble. My source is a cheap little sound card which does make a noticeable difference in sound. I will be using them for music I listen to many genres, but stuff like electronic (electropop/synthpop), and rock. Open, or Semi, natural sounding. No closed or on-ears, my current collection consists of closed headphones. 
beyersmile.png
 I think my ears are really sensitive to treble, both my Koss TBSE's and V6's have some sort of peak in the treble which I'm trying to stay away from. I'd like to stay away from thin sounding headphones like the V6. I just want to see what options I have and whether I should buy another headphone. 

I'm fine with buying used or refurbished. Kinda of learning towards a Sennheiser. 

Would like to know some good ones under $120, and under $200.

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #21,501 of 29,490
Hello there!
I am looking for a new upgrade for my ath-m50's.
I was looking for something that is an all-round good set of can's.
I am more into dubstep or more like liquid dubstep, electro, house, trance type of music.
But they have to work with all other types since I like to switch up too (Except country music)

I thought the Denon 2k's would fit the bill. But finding them is quite hard these days and they can get expensive. I would prefer them used since 450+ for me right now is a bit out of the question for me. Ive seen a couple used for 270$ but are there some "better" headphones that fit the bill and actually affordable or better quality(less that 270$)(preferable in CAD)? 

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #21,502 of 29,490
Hello,

I'm looking for some help in deciding on a pair of headphones this week.  I would like to get a pair of headphones for movies, games, music (40%/30%/30%).  For games, I play mostly RPG's and some FPS.  For music, I listen to mostly pop and rock.  I would the headphones with my computer.  I don't have a sound card yet but I plan to get a Xonar DGX.  Comfort is my first priority.  I was all set to pick-up a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD700  (for their comfort) this week for $120 but I saw in the same shop a pair of KRK KNS-8400 on sale for $115.  I started to think about how the KRK's would have a more balanced sound yet still decent comfort.  Which would you recommend for me?

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #21,503 of 29,490
hello everyone here is my question between
-HD 202 ii sennheiser
-HD 218 sennheiser (not the i version so without mic)
Both at the same price what would u chose Thanks you ps i prefer the more noise cancelling one
Or if you had another suggestion for around the same price 20£ but i already spend hours to selesct those 2 lol so i hope u wont tell me they rubish

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #21,504 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello,

I'm looking for some help in deciding on a pair of headphones this week.  I would like to get a pair of headphones for movies, games, music (40%/30%/30%).  For games, I play mostly RPG's and some FPS.  For music, I listen to mostly pop and rock.  I would the headphones with my computer.  I don't have a sound card yet but I plan to get a Xonar DGX.  Comfort is my first priority.  I was all set to pick-up a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD700  (for their comfort) this week for $120 but I saw in the same shop a pair of KRK KNS-8400 on sale for $115.  I started to think about how the KRK's would have a more balanced sound yet still decent comfort.  Which would you recommend for me?

Technical Pro HPT990 (TakStar Hi 2050), $69.99
Will work fine with the Xonar DGX.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Technical-Pro-HPT990-Professional-Headphone-/330828868399?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4d06efeb2f

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #21,505 of 29,490
Hi, I'm new to the forum, and generally new to paying more than £15 for headphones.
After spending 2 days sifting through reviews and forums I write this post because I'm lost with all the options out there.
As a Christmas present I have a loose budget of £70 ($112 usd). - Not a huge budget but just looking for entry level/best quality for the money.
Looking for closed, over ear headphones. Preferably not too leaky.
I listen to quite a vareity of genres; Progressive Trance/EDM/Dubstep/DnB/Hardstyle/House/Chilled Trance etc, Occasionally Rock/Metal.
The Electronica genre's are more of a priority over the Rock genres.
They should be comfortable for prolonged periods of up to 3 or 4 hours, reasonably portable, and can stand up to a bit of Welsh weather! (Rain all year round basically...)
The majority of usage will come from my smartphone (Nexus One), and occasionally on my PC (on-board soundcard, not independant/amped)
Most the songs I listen to are 320k MP3's.
I'll consider a portable amp for usage with my phone if absolutely necessary, but I'm a bit of a newb with amps too.

I hope that's enough information for you guys to narrow down my options. 
So what are my options?
Thanks! 
Mark.

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #21,506 of 29,490
Hi all,

I have a Yulong D100 MKII and was wondering if anyone has tried this amp/dac with the Hifiman HE-400 or HE-500? Is this a sufficient amp/dac to generally get the most out of these? If not, what are your recommendations of an upgrade/change?..

Cheers!

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #21,507 of 29,490
I'd go with either the closed Shure or the open Senn. Assuming that both open and closed cans will meet your needs, go with the Shure if bass is more important. Go with the Senn if sound stage and highs trump bass.

Yes, either closed back or open back would work in the situation I'm using. Do the SRH840s have good separation? I read a couple of times that the HD558s have wonderful separation, I want the present bass of the Shures, but the separation of the Sennheisers, which is why I'm asking, because in the reviews I've read of the Shures, no body really talk too much about the separation. I also figured if there is just a better headphone in my price range for my needs, that I don't know about, itd be smart to ask here. 

Separation (left to right) is excellent on both. However, I think you're trying to get to sound stage--the 3D imaging of the music/sound. If so, a good open can, like the Senn, will almost always have the advantage. Closed cans generally give you much better isolation from outside noise and don't leak any/much of what you're listening to wherever you are.

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #21,508 of 29,490
Sure, but it would be helpful to us (and ultimately to you) for you to describe the sound signature that you are seeking and what, if anything, you will be amping these new cans.

The Alessandro MS-1, Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and AKG K240MKII - AKG STUDIO STANDARD SEMI OPEN are all good in general but also different among themselves

I'd like to stay away from a V shaped sound signature, overall bright sound signature and anything that has harsh treble. My source is a cheap little sound card which does make a noticeable difference in sound. I will be using them for music I listen to many genres, but stuff like electronic (electropop/synthpop), and rock. Open, or Semi, natural sounding. No closed or on-ears, my current collection consists of closed headphones. :beyersmile:  I think my ears are really sensitive to treble, both my Koss TBSE's and V6's have some sort of peak in the treble which I'm trying to stay away from. I'd like to stay away from thin sounding headphones like the V6. I just want to see what options I have and whether I should buy another headphone. 

I'm fine with buying used or refurbished. Kinda of learning towards a Sennheiser. 

Would like to know some good ones under $120, and under $200.

Absent an outstanding sale (which happen more often this time of year), the Senn HD 558 or ATH-AD900 are probably good choices for you.

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #21,509 of 29,490
Am I doing something wrong? I've posted my question three times and it just seems to get looked over every time.

Don't think you're doing anything wrong. More likely we don't have anything that will of meaningful assistance to your quest. I know I don't.

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #21,510 of 29,490
Quote:
Separation (left to right) is excellent on both. However, I think you're trying to get to sound stage--the 3D imaging of the music/sound. If so, a good open can, like the Senn, will almost always have the advantage. Closed cans generally give you much better isolation from outside noise and don't leak any/much of what you're listening to wherever you are.

Thanks, but I dont need a huge sound stage on these. I've decided on the Shures for the purpose I'm using them for, I know I'll be happy! Thanks for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back