++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 23, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #21,453 of 29,490
I'm looking around the net for a pair of headphones. I currently have the Sennheiser HD-555s which are great headphones. I just wanted to upgrade a since I'm becoming more of an audiophile these days. The sound card I'm using at the moment is the HT Omega Claro. The genres of music I typically listen to are rock and metal. Some examples are: Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Mother Love Bone, Alice in Chains, Rage Against The Machine, etc...

I would say the maximum amount I'd be willing to spend is around ~ $300 on a pair. I'm also thinking about getting an amp to drive them but I'm sure a lot of the headphones in that price range don't necessarily need one. Still I'd like to hear some thoughts about possible options and what people have to say on the subject.

The HD 598 would be a natural step up from the HD 555.

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #21,454 of 29,490
Quote:

Oh, those are nice indeed. Any other recommendations based on the music I listen to? I was thinking about getting an amplifier, what would you say would be the next step in Sennheiser or Grado for that matter that would need an amp to drive them? I'd mainly want an amp for volume control, yeah I know that isn't a reason to get one. But still, it is a nice addition.

I should note that even though I'm impressed by the HD-555s, they have cracked on both sides above the ears. I think this is a known issue with these headphones so I'm kind of wary of spending the extra cash and having the same thing happen again.

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #21,455 of 29,490

Oh, those are nice indeed. Any other recommendations based on the music I listen to? I was thinking about getting an amplifier, what would you say would be the next step in Sennheiser or Grado for that matter that would need an amp to drive them? I'd mainly want an amp for volume control, yeah I know that isn't a reason to get one. But still, it is a nice addition.

I'll just pretend it's the same as classic rock, as you favorite groups are newer than mine. That said the Senn HD 600 & 650 are fine cans, but a big jump in price over the also good HD 598. The 600 series needs a decent amp, while the HD 598 is not as demanding.

The Grado families of cans will benefit from an amp, but strictly don't need one. The Alessandro MS-2i (based on the Grado SR 325is) is what I would recommend. See:

http://www.proaudioland.com/alessandro-music-series-two-headphones.html

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #21,456 of 29,490
Quote:
I'll just pretend it's the same as classic rock, as you favorite groups are newer than mine. That said the Senn HD 600 & 650 are fine cans, but a big jump in price over the also good HD 598. The 600 series needs a decent amp, while the HD 598 is not as demanding.
The Grado families of cans will benefit from an amp, but strictly don't need one. The Alessandro MS-2i (based on the Grado SR 325is) is what I would recommend. See:
http://www.proaudioland.com/alessandro-music-series-two-headphones.html

Those are nice as well. I think I'm leaning towards those now. Looks like it will be a good upgrade from what I currently have. If you don't mind me asking this here, is there an amp you would recommend to go along with it? I'm not sure about price range since I'm not too familiar as to how much low, mid, and high level amps sell for.

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #21,457 of 29,490
I'll just pretend it's the same as classic rock, as you favorite groups are newer than mine. That said the Senn HD 600

Those are nice as well. I think I'm leaning towards those now. Looks like it will be a good upgrade from what I currently have. If you don't mind me asking this here, is there an amp you would recommend to go along with it? I'm not sure about price range since I'm not too familiar as to how much low, mid, and high level amps sell for.

I'd check the HD 650 appreciation thread for the amps that the community has tried and preferred. As I only have one portable amp, my experience is mostly with desktop amps connected to a CD deck (I use a vintage and a couple non-vintage receivers with my vintage turntable and vinyl).

If going with a good entry level amp (which also has a DAC), I have had good luck with the hybrid HiFiMan EF2A paired with both the Senn and Grado/Alessandro. I especially like the way that the tube portion of the EF2a tamed the highs in the Grado SR 325is (the MS-2 has less of an issue with this). Mid level solid states Shiit Asgard and Matrix M-Stage are solid and I've heard good things about the Audio-gd NFB 12.1. Above that the hybrid HiFi Man EF5 is a thing of beauty with the HD 650. Finally the Burson HA-160 is simply amazing with most anything that you plug into it.

In the end the Alessandro is far less picky than the much less efficient and far more finicky Senn.

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #21,458 of 29,490
Hello guys, I'll try and keep this short. I'm pretty new to audiophile gear, but I'm looking to get a somewhat good home setup going for under $400. Seeing as it's Black Friday weekend. I figured it would be a good time as any.

I bought some Audio Technica ATH M50s about a year ago and they were my first 'audiophile' headphones, before then I had M35s and before that any cheap $20 set I could get my hands on. I love my m50s dearly, it was certainly a step up from anything I've used.

My old setup was simply plugging my m50's straight into my desktop's headphone jack.
Well now my M50's are broken (lent them to a friend for too long). And my computers headphone jack is a bit loose/pushed in causing me to do some annoying twiddling back and forth to get the proper sound of it. Line in at the back of my case simply does not cut it, I lose a lot of little details in my music compared to using the headphone jack.

So what I need now is a new set of headphones and a good dac/amp combo(I think?) for under $400. I'd go $450 max at the moment.
For headphones I'm looking for something that can pick up on the m50's shortcomings and perhaps polish what already excels at. I'd prefer a closed pair. I'd mostly use them at home but I'd like the option of taking them out and not having my music be heard 50 feet away.
I do some gaming but music is my priority here. I listen to a wide variety of genres, but I mostly love Prog Rock, Folk, Soul and Downtempo. I've been looking at the following headphones:

ATH-A900X
HFI-580
HFI-780
DT 770 PRO

Are the above catered to my needs/tastes? As for DAC/AMPs, portability is not my concern. This would be for home use. Am I asking for too much for my budget? I'm a neophyte to all of this, so it's a tad overwhelming, but some input/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR:
  1. $450 max budget (lower the better)
  2. Need upgrade from ATH M50
  3. Beginner, need closed headphone + DAC/AMP
  4. PC source
  5. Music is my #1 concern over everything, but I do quite a bit of gaming
  6. Multiple genres: from Prog Rock to Downtempo, Hiphop, Punk, Blues, you name it.

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #21,461 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, still looking for a closed headphone with low leakage, and as good bass response as possible for under 100 bucks.
any ideas?

Takstar Pro 80 might do the job, sells for $88 on eBay.

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #21,462 of 29,490
Hi guys,

I currently own a pair of JH-16's and the HE-400. I really don't use the JH-16 anymore because I prefer the sound of headphones more than iem's, so I just got the HE-400 two weeks ago.

The sound on the HE-400's were great, but I just can't get over the discomfort after wearing them for a while, so I'm looking into getting a refund. I'm also planning to sell JH-16's (I think the resell price is around ~$700?) to fund a better pair of headphones. 

Right now I'm looking into a refurbished pair of HD 800's. But at this price point I also know that I can get a new pair of LCD 2's 

Any suggestions on which one I should go for? I'm currently using a o2/odac setup.

Thanks!

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #21,463 of 29,490
Time for my second hi-fi headphone! So I return here.
Price range is <$150

I have a beeet more knowledge of my own preference now. So I am looking for headphones with more forward mids. The Phillips Uptowns are a bit on the soft side. I think the best way to describe the preference is the cracking sound of a firework. Very crisp and clear with just enough bass balance but still breaks through the softness level. Just need an outline so I have a handle on where I can start researching.

EDIT: Also, anyone know how I can find places for headphone testing in California? I went to a Best Buy near where I live and they didn't have headphone testing.

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #21,464 of 29,490
Any recommendations under $150 for a college student?

My ideal headphone would be:
  1. well isolated so I don't disturb my roommates
  2. comfortable enough for 4+ hours of listening at a time
  3. good for J-pop/J-rock, electronica, pop, alternative, and hip-hop
  4. not ugly (subjective, I know, but I like the design of the M50 and the DJ100 if that helps)

I have no interest in classical or jazz music.

For reference, I currently own the Incipio f38 (Fischer FA-004/Brainwavz HM3 rebrand), and for this upgrade I would like something with more bass quantity-wise. I've read about the M50 and I want to rule it out based on comfort/heat issues, but so far I haven't come across a better headphone in the price range (the HFI-580 sounded "weird" to me). Please help?

Nov 24, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #21,465 of 29,490
Hello guys, I'll try and keep this short. I'm pretty new to audiophile gear, but I'm looking to get a somewhat good home setup going for under $400. Seeing as it's Black Friday weekend. I figured it would be a good time as any.

I bought some Audio Technica ATH M50s about a year ago and they were my first 'audiophile' headphones, before then I had M35s and before that any cheap $20 set I could get my hands on. I love my m50s dearly, it was certainly a step up from anything I've used.

My old setup was simply plugging my m50's straight into my desktop's headphone jack.

Well now my M50's are broken (lent them to a friend for too long). And my computers headphone jack is a bit loose/pushed in causing me to do some annoying twiddling back and forth to get the proper sound of it. Line in at the back of my case simply does not cut it, I lose a lot of little details in my music compared to using the headphone jack.

So what I need now is a new set of headphones and a good dac/amp combo(I think?) for under $400. I'd go $450 max at the moment.

For headphones I'm looking for something that can pick up on the m50's shortcomings and perhaps polish what already excels at. I'd prefer a closed pair. I'd mostly use them at home but I'd like the option of taking them out and not having my music be heard 50 feet away.

I do some gaming but music is my priority here. I listen to a wide variety of genres, but I mostly love Prog Rock, Folk, Soul and Downtempo. I've been looking at the following headphones:

ATH-A900X

HFI-580

HFI-780

DT 770 PRO

Are the above catered to my needs/tastes? As for DAC/AMPs, portability is not my concern. This would be for home use. Am I asking for too much for my budget? I'm a neophyte to all of this, so it's a tad overwhelming, but some input/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR:
  • $450 max budget (lower the better)
  • Need upgrade from ATH M50
  • Beginner, need closed headphone + DAC/AMP
  • PC source
  • Music is my #1 concern over everything, but I do quite a bit of gaming
  • Multiple genres: from Prog Rock to Downtempo, Hiphop, Punk, Blues, you name it.

I'd take a close listen to the Ultrasone Pro 750. I'll let others help with the amp/dac, as you are probably looking for portability--although the HeadRoom Total BitHead looks quite good at $99.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back