++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 22, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #21,406 of 29,490
Quote:
So I've had too many cheap headphones break on me and am looking for a good quality headset to put on my Christmas list. I am not yet very knowledgeable when it comes to headphones, nor am I an audiophile in any meaning of the word. How about I just list some of the things I am looking for so that you guys can help me find the perfect pair?

-I will be using the headphones mainly for music. (Dubstep, metal, electronic) and podcasts/audio-dramas and occasionally for video games and movies

-I want something with all around good sound but I do enjoy a little extra bass

-removable cord for a cheaper fix if I bust it

-they need to be comfortable as I will be wearing them for a few hours on end

-price, can't be too high (under 100) but if it gets me everything else on the list plus quality I'm willing to go higher

Something else I'm interested in is an inline remote and Mic for taking phone calls and skipping music tracks and changing volume on my phone, not as important though. A friend told me that beats makes a cord with both built in, could I just replace the stock cable with one of those?

I have looked at the numark red waves, they have the removable cord and a decent price but being that they are "DJ" headphones I don't know if they will go well with what I plan to use them for.

Any reccomendations are welcome

Id say some used m50's from Ebay would do you good. I'd stay away from AKG's as the few I've heard are a little bass lacking. Generaly if you can swap out the cable on a headset you can simply put in another one with the mic and such, Otherwise I believe audio technica has some bass-ier headphones with mics. Hope this helps and as thecansman said the SRH840's may be a good idea but beware that the comfort of those depends on the person.

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #21,407 of 29,490
[size=medium]Help! I just had a month of really bad luck with my headphones. [/size][size=medium]My portable pair (HD-25’s) where stolen and my home pair (Aiaiai Studio’s) basically feel apart. [/size]

[size=medium]So for a replacement portable pair I have the v-moda m100s on order.[/size]

[size=medium]For my home pair I’ve narrowed it down to:[/size]
[size=medium]=> Philips Fidelio L1/00[/size]
[size=medium]=> AKG K550 [/size]
[size=medium]=> Mad Dog mod T50RP[/size]

[size=medium]At the moment I’m leaning towards the MadDogs mainly because the ortho driver sounds interested. [/size]

[size=medium]Yes, yes they all seam like good headphones and I know part of the pleasure is working through indecision… but, which one, if it was your choice would you recommend?[/size]

Nov 22, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #21,409 of 29,490
Hi Headphone Posse

I've read too many online reviews, am a novice and am now confused with about £60 to play with. I mainly listen to podcasts and film/music on my Macbook pro so would prefer clarity over bass. Still not sure what I should be looking for, so any specific/technical guidance would be greatly appreciated and if IEM's are a better option price wise/quality than phones?

I listened to and was unimpressed with the quality of my sisters Dre beats solo's and preferred the value of my brother Sony MDR-ZX100's - (cheap like a budgie.) I'm looking towards Superlux HD668B, Sony MDR-ZX700, Sony MDR- V6/7506, CAL after reading the big dudes product review but am open to others.

I can't justify buying ATHM50's unless they are worth the money in comparison.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #21,410 of 29,490
If you had a $300.00 budget and you are just starting out, what headphone/dac/amp combination would you buy?

I currently use a pair of Shure SRH440 and primarily listen to music on my desktop (FLAC files + FOOBAR + headphones plugged into my M-Audo AV30 speakers headphone jack). I have been using this combo for about a year now but want to step up and improve my experience. I spend quite a bit of time on my computer (I work from home) and I look at this as a bit of an investment so I am not afraid to spend a bit of money. However, I see this as turning into a very expensive hobby as well!

Anyways, I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions regarding my budget and listening habits/tastes? I have outlined my information below...

1. 90% of the time I listen to music on my desktop computer.
  2. The headphones will be used for music only (I don't care about movies or gaming).
  3. I listen to everything...alternative rock, rock, blues (The Shins, Black Keys, Foo Fighters, Death Cab for Cutie, Brendan Benson...too many to list!)
  4. I have a dedicated office that allows me privacy so open or closed headphones doesn't really matter. I am more or less looking for the best sound and want to get the most out of what I listen to.
  5. I would love to find something comfortable. That is my only complaint about the SRH440's...they are a little fatiguing after long listening sessions.
  6. Reliabilty. I want something that will last.
  7. As far as a DAC/amp goes...I just want something that will be an upgrade from my cheap onboard computer audio and that will pair nicely with whatever headphones you recommend.
  8. My overall budget is $300.  

Considering all these factors, what do you guys recommend? 

Thanks for all your help and I look forward to your replies. :)

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #21,411 of 29,490
Alas, my old headphones are wearing out after seven (!) years of daily use.  They're Sony MDR-NC40s, not terribly great unless I turn the noise-cancelling on.  So I've decided I want some new headphones for Christmas.  I'm really in love with the Ultrasone PRO 750s, but unfortunately they're a bit out of budget.

Here's what I'm looking for:
--~$150.
--Will be used with the Asus Xonar DG soundcard--these will ALWAYS be attached to this computer.
--Listening habits: Asian Pop (think Sakamoto Maaya, Girls Generation!, that sort of thing), Epic Trance (Armin van Buuren, etc.), classical (particularly Organ or French Horn).  Really a bit of everything, but those three types make up about 80% of my collection.  I also do a lot of MMO-gaming, running both the game with sound and a VoIP client.  I don't play FPSes, though, so positional sound isn't really a big thing for me.
--Nothing in-ear.  Open or closed doesn't matter, I've used a wide variety of headphone styles and don't really have a preference beyond the no in-ear thing.
--I'd really PREFER something with non-leather/pleather covering on the pads.  It wears out, makes me sweat, and...turns my ears black.  Yuck!  So fabric, velour, something not leather/pleather.
--Some degree of isolation would be nice, but not actual noise-cancelling.  But if someone is yelling at me in Ventrilo, I would like my roommate to not actually know that my friends curse like drunken sailors.
--A certain bit of "classic style" is very much a plus!  The AKG 701s are my ideal in this regard--so pretty!
--I do not, at this point, have either a DAC or an amp.  I do, however, have a very large CD collection (hundreds and hundreds).
--A cord no shorter than 4'.
--Something comfortable, not too heavy and that doesn't feel like you're wearing a pair of bricks.  I wear my headphones every day for hours at a time.
--The big thing--this will be the sole audio output for this computer; it has no speakers.  So I'd like something versatile, something that will give me at-least-decent sound whether I'm watching the latest viral video hit or listening to a CD.

Thanks in advance!

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #21,412 of 29,490
Quote:
I've read too many online reviews, am a novice and am now confused with about £60 to play with. I mainly listen to podcasts and film/music on my Macbook pro so would prefer clarity over bass. Still not sure what I should be looking for, so any specific/technical guidance would be greatly appreciated and if IEM's are a better option price wise/quality than phones?
I listened to and was unimpressed with the quality of my sisters Dre beats solo's and preferred the value of my brother Sony MDR-ZX100's - (cheap like a budgie.) I'm looking towards Superlux HD668B, Sony MDR-ZX700, Sony MDR- V6/7506, CAL after reading the big dudes product review but am open to others.
I can't justify buying ATHM50's unless they are worth the money in comparison..

Check out the JVC HA-S500-Z (Gun Metal Gray) folding headphones, sells on eBay for $76.99, ships from Japan, takes less then a week.
You can get different ear pads for them for around $15 a pair, off eBay (like Velvet).

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #21,413 of 29,490
Quote:
If you had a $300.00 budget and you are just starting out, what headphone/dac/amp combination would you buy?

I currently use a pair of Shure SRH440 and primarily listen to music on my desktop (FLAC files + FOOBAR + headphones plugged into my M-Audo AV30 speakers headphone jack). I have been using this combo for about a year now but want to step up and improve my experience. I spend quite a bit of time on my computer (I work from home) and I look at this as a bit of an investment so I am not afraid to spend a bit of money. However, I see this as turning into a very expensive hobby as well!

Anyways, I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions regarding my budget and listening habits/tastes? I have outlined my information below...

1. 90% of the time I listen to music on my desktop computer.
  2. The headphones will be used for music only (I don't care about movies or gaming).
  3. I listen to everything...alternative rock, rock, blues (The Shins, Black Keys, Foo Fighters, Death Cab for Cutie, Brendan Benson...too many to list!)
  4. I have a dedicated office that allows me privacy so open or closed headphones doesn't really matter. I am more or less looking for the best sound and want to get the most out of what I listen to.
  5. I would love to find something comfortable. That is my only complaint about the SRH440's...they are a little fatiguing after long listening sessions.
  6. Reliabilty. I want something that will last.
  7. As far as a DAC/amp goes...I just want something that will be an upgrade from my cheap onboard computer audio and that will pair nicely with whatever headphones you recommend.
  8. My overall budget is $300.  

Considering all these factors, what do you guys recommend? 

Thanks for all your help and I look forward to your replies. :)

Ok, my friend here's what I'd do if i were you. 

Option 1:

Sennheiser HD600 (used). if you look hard you can find them around $250. Get the FiiO E10. Now i suppose you could stop here, run it on high gain and get by. But what's the fun in that. See if you can find yourself a nice little amp for around $50, used to help that e10. I recommend something pro. I use a symetrix 304 at the moment. I've been pleased with it. I'm upgrading to a matrix m stage...but thats another story.  All in all that could run you around $310-360 or so... a bit over budget but, in my opinion, worth it.

Option 2:

Assuming you like the 44 upgrade to the 840. Get the fiio e10 as stated before and enjoy. However, i will admit this probably won't solve your comfort issue. If any thing this will make it worse...i got used to the 840...some don't. But that will drop you out at around $200. SO that gives you room to play with either getting a better dac, or a decent amp, or any combination of the two. you can got wrong here either. great set up.

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #21,414 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi Headphone Posse

Phones wise... Monoprice 8323...the poor mans m50 it been called. I say only if its amped. Look, here's the deal they're all of $30 USD. 2 cord, good build. A sorta dark v shaped sound IF you amp them. With out an amp the bass is pretty subdued. Perhaps even to the point of being mildly lacking, depending on the track. You can't go wrong. I love mine. 

Now if you want an IEM, go for the GR04 Pro Flagship Edition (it's the one with 50 ohms, DONT GET ANYTHING ELSE, ITS NOT THE SAME THING) They're pretty balanced. They come with a crap load of accessories. They are only one set below the GR07 in terms of sq. Except they cost $60 USD and the GR07 it about 3 times that. GREAT value. 

Beyond this look up joker's threads. He's compared 105 headphones and 265 iems. They are all ranked and he gives a through, well written review of each.

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #21,415 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
I can't justify buying ATHM50's unless they are worth the money in comparison..

Check out the JVC HA-S500-Z (Gun Metal Gray) folding headphones, sells on eBay for $76.99, ships from Japan, takes less then a week.

Also available through Amazon. They seem to be a very good deal at ~$75 shipped and I'm quite pleased with them. They're currently getting 100% of my ear time at work.

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #21,416 of 29,490
Im new to head-fi and I am going to be buying my first good pair (more than $20 headphones). I was looking at these 4 the sennheiser hd360pro, hd380pro, hd429 and the px360. i listen to all kinds of music from metal to rap and everything in between. Portibility wouldnt be bad either. Any suggestion would be greatly apperciated.

Nov 23, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #21,417 of 29,490
Quote:
Im new to head-fi and I am going to be buying my first good pair (more than $20 headphones). I was looking at these 4 the sennheiser hd360pro, hd380pro, hd429 and the px360. i listen to all kinds of music from metal to rap and everything in between. Portibility wouldnt be bad either. Any suggestion would be greatly apperciated.

budget?
opened or closed?
portable gear?

Nov 23, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #21,418 of 29,490
Quote:

Well knowing your budget would help but from my own experience ID say stay away from the 380 pro and the 429's they sound incredibly cheap to me. Look into Shure, grado, and akg as it would appear you are already looking at sennheiser.

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #21,419 of 29,490
Ok, my friend here's what I'd do if i were you. 

Option 1:

Sennheiser HD600 (used). if you look hard you can find them around $250. Get the FiiO E10. Now i suppose you could stop here, run it on high gain and get by. But what's the fun in that. See if you can find yourself a nice little amp for around $50, used to help that e10. I recommend something pro. I use a symetrix 304 at the moment. I've been pleased with it. I'm upgrading to a matrix m stage...but thats another story.  All in all that could run you around $310-360 or so... a bit over budget but, in my opinion, worth it.

Option 2:

Assuming you like the 44 upgrade to the 840. Get the fiio e10 as stated before and enjoy. However, i will admit this probably won't solve your comfort issue. If any thing this will make it worse...i got used to the 840...some don't. But that will drop you out at around $200. SO that gives you room to play with either getting a better dac, or a decent amp, or any combination of the two. you can got wrong here either. great set up.

Thanks very much for the detailed reply. I have a sneaking suspicion that the HD600 will be difficult to find within my price range. I am pretty challenged geographically as I live in a very remote area. This pretty much leaves me to online purchases and I have to rely very heavily on reviews and forums like this. So, again, I sincerely appreciate your help.

Just out of curiosity...how would you compare the HD598 to the HD600 (the ones you suggested). The reason I ask is that I have found a fairly local seller. Just curious how they would be in comparison. He is also selling a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro (250 ohms) so I am just doing some research on those as well.

I do like your suggestion about the FiiO E10 as well as I have looked into this already. I was also looking at the Audioengine DAC 1. Ah man, I think I may have to up my budget!!!!

Thanks again for the help! :)

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #21,420 of 29,490
Hi Headphone Posse

Assuming you are looking only at closed cans, I'd go with the CAL! or KRK KNS-6400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back