++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 18, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #21,287 of 29,490
Simple request (hopefully): I'm looking for a portable, fast, mid-centric circumaural headphone for around $200-250, used mainly for indie rock. I know there's been tons of headphones released lately in the $200-300 range, so I'd love to know which of these best fits the sound signature I want. Thanks!

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #21,288 of 29,490
I've been undecided between the hd598 and q701 for the longest. I just want to know how their soundstage and imaging compare to eachother. Ultimately that will determine which I buy. I haven't heard very good things about the q701's imaging but I suspect that it's just hearsay.

Nov 18, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #21,289 of 29,490
I've been undecided between the hd598 and q701 for the longest. I just want to know how their soundstage and imaging compare to eachother. Ultimately that will determine which I buy. I haven't heard very good things about the q701's imaging but I suspect that it's just hearsay.

I had both.
The Q701s are better in everything from soudstage to imaging to details. They are a class above the HD598s. The only flaw (depends on your music too) is the lack of bass. The HD598s have more bass impact, and quantity, but that's about it.

Cheers

Nov 18, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #21,291 of 29,490
Can the AKG Q701 be driven by the Fiio E11?

Q701 Specs:           - Frequency Response...................................10Hz - 39.8kHz
                              - Maximum Input Power................................200 mW
                              - Input Impedance......................................62 ohms
                              - Sensitivity...............................................105 dB SPL/V

E11 Specs:             - Frequency Response....................................10Hz - 100kHz
                              - Maximum Output Power...............................300 mW
                              - Recommended headphone impedance.............16 - 300 Ohms

To me it looks like they can even if i know nothing about all that.

Nov 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #21,292 of 29,490
Quote:
Can the AKG Q701 be driven by the Fiio E11?

Q701 Specs:           - Frequency Response...................................10Hz - 39.8kHz
                              - Maximum Input Power................................200 mW
                              - Input Impedance......................................62 ohms
                              - Sensitivity...............................................105 dB SPL/V

E11 Specs:             - Frequency Response....................................10Hz - 100kHz
                              - Maximum Output Power...............................300 mW
                              - Recommended headphone impedance.............16 - 300 Ohms

To me it looks like they can even if i know nothing about all that.

Yes, but don't know about the synergy though..

Nov 18, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #21,293 of 29,490
Hi everyone !

I'm searching a headphone (maybe headset but  I don't care too much about the mic) for essentially playing games (no competition) and watching movies, and the main source will be a retina macbook pro.

I'm a total noob in the headphone world, but spent a huge amount of time reading reviews, round-ups and guides.

To be a little more specific about what I'm searching for:

- Budget around 200 Euros (yes € and not $, bear this in mind, I'm from France and the market isn't really the same, some cans just aren't available here).
- Closed headphones, or maybe half open if and only if the sound leakage is minimal -> my wife would kill me otherwise.
- I don't plan to use any external amp/dac whatsoever, I would like to keep it simple.
- I'm not really a basshead but I enjoy good explosions.

Occasionnaly I listen to music, but my main source for that would be my car (having a bose setup inside, it's an Audi A3, so you know where I'm coming from). The genres I listen to ranges from Electronic, Alternative, Soundtracks and even celtic music. Yeah, quite wide.

I've read Mad Lust Envy's guide and found it very instructive. But I'm still lost.

With the needs I have, I just can't find what would suit me the best. I understood that for gaming I need a good soundstage, and for movies something that's not too flat. I've also axed my hopes of surround sound which seems quite complicated to obtain on a macbook pro, even if I'll use bootcamp for games.

From what I've read, the Beyer DT770 Pro 80 ohm would be nice, or the Denon 2000 but those are just impossible to find in Europe. I've also looked for the akg k550
 and they seem good too, but a bit over my budget. I've finally lurked around the gaming headsets (astro and al.) but again, they all seem to have trouble with macs.

So, for all of you Grand Poobahs of the Head-Fi world, could you please help me ?

PS: the only "good" headphones I've tried in a shop were the Focal Spirit One and the Bose AE2, and both sounded very overpriced for the quality I got with them.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #21,294 of 29,490
I have started to zero in a bit and could use some advice about the AKG Q701 and the Beyerdynamic DT990 pro's.   I am very interested in the comfort level of both headphones particularly over long listening sessions.  I am aiming for 6-8hrs a day so the comfort really factors in.  I know the Q701's get knocked by some for the headband bumps, but those really large can's look extra comfortable.   I am drawn to that and the detachable cable...I would also really like an opinion on how large a feature that is, I am not sue how to factor that into the decision.    I wish there was a review metric along the lines of "I could stand to wear them for X hours before they drove me nuts" :)  Thanks

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #21,295 of 29,490
Hello fellow Head-fi residents. Currently, I'm in the market for a new pair of cans. These will be used with a variety of genres - mostly rock, indie, pop, a smidgen of classical, and a good deal of electronic music. I enjoy a nice, forward detailed treble and transparent mids. I like my bass tight and detailed; basshead phones make me nauseous. Comfort isn't a very big factor, I can wear my Grados for hours at a time and feel completely fine.

Requirements:
- Closed
- Good all-rounders
- Reasonably durable
- easy to drive
- under 150$, can stretch higher if it is absolutely worth it

Thanks

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #21,296 of 29,490
Hello everyone! 

I'm looking to get a headset to use on my laptop but can't decide on one. The 2 main ones I have been looking at are Logitech G35 and Steelseries Siberia V2. I plan on using them for gaming, talking on Skype and listening to music mostly. My problem is that I'm on a tight budget so if you can offer any cheaper alternatives it would be great if not, which one of these two is better for its price? Also is it worth getting the Steelseries Siberia V2 with the USB soundcard? 

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #21,297 of 29,490
Hi Everyone,

I am considering purchasing the Luxman DA-200 for my Macbook Retina and Grado PS1000.  The internet offers very few substantial reviews on the DA-200 -- does anyone by chance know of a site or magazine that has reviewed this model?  Has anyone personally used it, preferably with the Grado PS1000's?  More importantly, would you recommend it over similar models from Bel Canto, Red Wine Audio, and Lehmann Audio (for my setup)?  I will only be using it to listen to digital music, mostly rock and jazz, through my headphones.  Thanks so much for all your help.  

All the best!

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #21,298 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone! 

I'm looking to get a headset to use on my laptop but can't decide on one. The 2 main ones I have been looking at are Logitech G35 and Steelseries Siberia V2. I plan on using them for gaming, talking on Skype and listening to music mostly. My problem is that I'm on a tight budget so if you can offer any cheaper alternatives it would be great if not, which one of these two is better for its price? Also is it worth getting the Steelseries Siberia V2 with the USB soundcard? 

Cant go wrong with G35. There's really not much else you can get that will sound better in games for that money. Even if you go for a soundcard + regular headphones. 

Nov 18, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #21,299 of 29,490
Hello fellow Head-fi residents. Currently, I'm in the market for a new pair of cans. These will be used with a variety of genres - mostly rock, indie, pop, a smidgen of classical, and a good deal of electronic music. I enjoy a nice, forward detailed treble and transparent mids. I like my bass tight and detailed; basshead phones make me nauseous. Comfort isn't a very big factor, I can wear my Grados for hours at a time and feel completely fine.

Requirements:
- Closed
- Good all-rounders
- Reasonably durable
- easy to drive
- under 150$, can stretch higher if it is absolutely worth it

Thanks

Something in the ultrasone range? maybe the HFI-780 if you can stretch your budget a little? otherwise you could look at the HFI-580 which is cheaper, a bit more bassy and a little less refined. They will excel at rock and electronic. they would fall a bit short when it comes to classical though.

Nov 18, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #21,300 of 29,490
I have a budget of around 150$ to 200$ im looking for a new headset preferably closed back of the same or greater quality as my akg k240 mk II's. i listen to rock (lynyrd skynrd, autopilot off, green day, rise against, pink floyd, basically all of it) , trailer music (videogame theme songs and such) im NOT  a bass head and ive heard the krk kns 8400's are a good choice. I'd prefer to spend below my price currently to save money for computer updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back