++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 17, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #21,271 of 29,490
Quote:
I see that you have the Sony MDR-V6 in your profile, how does it stack up to the Koss in your personal opinion?

It's all preference. In my opinion, I feel the Koss is more musical. The V6 is very artificial sounding and thin to me. The Koss have forward mids with no mid-bass hump, while the V6 have a mid-bass hump and a peak in the treble. The V6's are more towards the bright side, while the Koss has a warmer sound. Right now I prefer the Koss as the vocals are very good, and it isn't thin like the V6. You could try buying both, then return the one you don't like, if not, do your research and see which headphone is best for you. I think they're both good headphones and it really just depends on your ears. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #21,272 of 29,490
Hey just joined the Head-Fi...Kinda new to the whole audiophile craze, but I just purchased a pair of SR-80is and have had Senn HD-280 pros for a while...Was really impressed with the SR-80s thats its making me want to look into headphone amps.

so....

any recommendations?

don't care if portable or desktop just looking for best sound i can get for say sub $200

--cheers!

Nov 17, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #21,273 of 29,490
Quote:
It's all preference. In my opinion, I feel the Koss is more musical. The V6 is very artificial sounding and thin to me. The Koss have forward mids with no mid-bass hump, while the V6 have a mid-bass hump and a peak in the treble. The V6's are more towards the bright side, while the Koss has a warmer sound. Right now I prefer the Koss as the vocals are very good, and it isn't thin like the V6. You could try buying both, then return the one you don't like, if not, do your research and see which headphone is best for you. I think they're both good headphones and it really just depends on your ears. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the recommendation mate, definitely helped out a bunch!

Nov 17, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #21,274 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey just joined the Head-Fi...Kinda new to the whole audiophile craze, but I just purchased a pair of SR-80is and have had Senn HD-280 pros for a while...Was really impressed with the SR-80s thats its making me want to look into headphone amps.

so....

any recommendations?

don't care if portable or desktop just looking for best sound i can get for say sub $200

--cheers!

Look into the O2 desktop amp, Schiit Asgard desktop amp, PA2V2 portable amp and Fiio E17 DAC-amp unit.

Nov 17, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #21,275 of 29,490
So apparently my parameters have changed:
Had - Philips O'Neill The Stretch (2 sets broke and no more are available in the country)
Looking For - closed over the ear headphone w/ noise cancelling if possible, comfort and durability over sound quality
Budget - $200 CAD available in Canada (will go over slightly if price/value difference is really worth it)

I have looked at the Summer Buying Guide and only notice two headphones recommended neither are within my budget. I checked out the Head Gear section and the highest ranked is the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro which is within my budget and available in Canada according so that's what I'm leaning towards recommending. Any help discerning between the various noise-cancelling options would be much appreciated!

Nov 17, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #21,276 of 29,490
So apparently my parameters have changed:
Had - Philips O'Neill The Stretch (2 sets broke and no more are available in the country)
Looking For - closed over the ear headphone w/ noise cancelling if possible, comfort and durability over sound quality
Budget - $200 CAD available in Canada (will go over slightly if price/value difference is really worth it)

I have looked at the Summer Buying Guide and only notice two headphones recommended neither are within my budget. I checked out the Head Gear section and the highest ranked is the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro which is within my budget and available in Canada according so that's what I'm leaning towards recommending. Any help discerning between the various noise-cancelling options would be much appreciated!

THe 380 pro is a very nice neutral sounding closed headphone with good isolation. Be advised it comes with a very heavy coiled cable that can stretch over 10 feet long. NOT ideal for portablity.

Most noise cancelling headphones that I have tried are inferior in sound quality. The only exception being the MM550 which only sounds good with the noise cancelling turned off so that kinda defeats the point now doesn't it? :) The UE9000 is supposed to sound great but is out of your budget. Its baby brother without the NC circuit (UE6000) is about 200USD and a fine sounding headphone at that. It has moderatly good isolation but certainly not the best.

WIthout details on what music you listen to, I can say the UE6000 should be easy to find in your area and easy to run on any source. It is portable similar to your streatch except over ear and has a removable cable which is nice for longevity purposes.

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #21,280 of 29,490
I have been through the site while researching on few headphones I was keen on buying. However my first post is about portable audio players, I have narrowed down to the Sonos Play 5 and the b&w zeppelin. Anyone here who can provide input regarding these devices. I also need to decide on which headphones I might get but I will be discussing that later. From what I have read over the past few hours, there aren't many portable audio player reviews on this site, but hoping for any sort of information

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #21,281 of 29,490
Quote:

so....

any recommendations?

--cheers!

The 60i and 80i were designed for use without an amp.  But if you want a great one within your budget, the Matrix M-Stage is available for just $165 from Massdrop for the next few days.  You'll have to sign up even to look, but it will be worth it:

http://www.massdrop.com/matrix-headphone-amp

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #21,282 of 29,490
Quote:

so....

any recommendations?

--cheers!

Little Dot I+ hybrid tube amp works very well with Grados. It's designed for low impedance phones, and the slightly warmer tube sound reigns in the highs of the Grados just a tad. 

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #21,283 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
If you're looking for cans that emphasize bass, you're on the wrong track with Grados--especially the SR 225i.

Okay, so do you have any suggestions for what cans would fit the bill?

I'm not looking for overbearing bass. I'm just looking for a warm pair of headphones that properly represent bass. My K550s just aren't cutting it. 

When you say "properly represent bass", I take that to mean bass that is neutral-ish.  In fact the the K550, which on Tyll's Wall of Fame, have good bass response, provided you have a proper seal.  Beards, sideburns and even glasses can spoil that.  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone-page-2.

About 9 months ago I would have steered you to the Denon D2000, but they were discontinued this summer and are now difficult to get at a decent price.

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #21,284 of 29,490
Quote:
I have been through the site while researching on few headphones I was keen on buying. However my first post is about portable audio players, I have narrowed down to the Sonos Play 5 and the b&w zeppelin. Anyone here who can provide input regarding these devices. I also need to decide on which headphones I might get but I will be discussing that later. From what I have read over the past few hours, there aren't many portable audio player reviews on this site, but hoping for any sort of information

This thread and this entire section of forum deals with full sized headphones--a topic far afield from portable audio players.

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #21,285 of 29,490
Quote:
Please recommend me a headphone, thanks
Price: 200-300
Music: SRV, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Pantera
Prefer Open
Can Amp if needed

Sure, but they may not reflect you preferred sound signature, which you have not yet described.

Grado SR 225i or 325is, Shure SRH 940 (closed), Senn HD 598, Beyer DT 880 (+/- Pro), Audio Technica ATH-900 and the AKG Q701 (although perhaps iffy for metal).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back