++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 17, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #21,256 of 29,490
Those are ~250$ here :|
I've been searching a bit on the forums and it seems like the Shure SRH-840 are quite recommended for Metal. Their price here is also pretty much the same as it is on Amazon. How well will it fit my other requirements though?
Quote: 

Alternatively, the Ultrasone DJ1 (the HFI-580 counterpart with slightly higher SPL) comes with a coiled cable which is more portable than the HFI-580's straight cable, and still within your budget.

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #21,257 of 29,490
Hi guys!

I am a total newb and no where near the level of all you great audiophiles.  Can you make a rec?  I'd like to get some in-ear buds that create an experience similar to my SR60 headphones.  I have a budget of about $100.

My music listening habits, in case it helps:
About 15 years ago, I bought a pair of really nice Polk Audio speakers. They are amazing, and my music sounds incredible on them, but since I rarely had time to sit in my living room for an hour and listen to an album in front of them now that I'm older, I searched for a good pair of headphones a few years ago.  I ended up on here and decided to buy a pair of Grado SR60s, which have completely rocked my world.  I love them.  They make music come alive.  They are crisp, the music is vibrant, I get decent bass, etc. But now I am even more mobile than I was before, with a crazy lifestyle and want an easy to wear in-ear for good listening while walking etc.  I hate listening to the oem $15 fake ipod earbuds that I've been using.  The distortion and muddiness hurts my soul.  Please help a girl out. I want to create the experience of listening to my SR60 headphones, in an in ear.  I recently bought the monoprice cheap ones, which were GREAT on indie, but they were terrible on pop or anything with bass.  I listen to a wide range of stuff, from indie to pop to hip hop.  My most listened to stuff is probably Andrew Bird, Cat Power, Jack Johnson, MIA and JayZ. 

Please help!  I want to add them to my xmas wishlist.

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #21,258 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys!

I am a total newb and no where near the level of all you great audiophiles.  Can you make a rec?  I'd like to get some in-ear buds that create an experience similar to my SR60 headphones.  I have a budget of about $100.

My music listening habits, in case it helps:
About 15 years ago, I bought a pair of really nice Polk Audio speakers. They are amazing, and my music sounds incredible on them, but since I rarely had time to sit in my living room for an hour and listen to an album in front of them now that I'm older, I searched for a good pair of headphones a few years ago.  I ended up on here and decided to buy a pair of Grado SR60s, which have completely rocked my world.  I love them.  They make music come alive.  They are crisp, the music is vibrant, I get decent bass, etc. But now I am even more mobile than I was before, with a crazy lifestyle and want an easy to wear in-ear for good listening while walking etc.  I hate listening to the oem $15 fake ipod earbuds that I've been using.  The distortion and muddiness hurts my soul.  Please help a girl out. I want to create the experience of listening to my SR60 headphones, in an in ear.  I recently bought the monoprice cheap ones, which were GREAT on indie, but they were terrible on pop or anything with bass.  I listen to a wide range of stuff, from indie to pop to hip hop.  My most listened to stuff is probably Andrew Bird, Cat Power, Jack Johnson, MIA and JayZ. 

Please help!  I want to add them to my xmas wishlist.

Have you looked at joker's Multi IEM review? Or ClieOS's Concise Multi IEM Comparison? Could help you out a lot. 

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #21,259 of 29,490
Anyone have a suggestion for me regarding my post on the previous page?

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #21,260 of 29,490
Quote:
Newbie here who needs some advice...

[size=13.333333015441895px]I currently have a Creative X-Fi Titanium from 2007 as my current soundcard (no headphone amp). I have this paired with the craptastic Razer Carcharias Gaming Headset and needless to say I am sick of it.[/size][size=13.333333015441895px][/size]
[size=13.333333015441895px][/size]
[size=13.333333015441895px]So, I am shopping around for a new high end headset, one that is preferably under $300. I use my headset for 60% music and 40% gaming. Can anyone reccommend a good headset that has a built in microphone (preferably) that meet my needs? FYI, the music I listen to is mostly electronic and sometimes I listen to the occassional rock song. As for games, I play all types except for racing. Any one care to make a reccomendation? Thanks![/size][size=13.333333015441895px][/size]
[size=13.333333015441895px][/size]
[size=13.333333015441895px]P.S. Yes, I looked through the guide, but was unable to draw any real conclusions.[/size]

[size=13.333333015441895px]FWIW this is the type of music I listen to:[/size]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP2VdbpzMXw

Quote:

Which guide that you looked through, this one? http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-11-12-12-sennheiser-hd650-added

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #21,261 of 29,490
Quote:
[size=13.333333015441895px]I currently have a Creative X-Fi Titanium from 2007 as my current soundcard (no headphone amp). I have this paired with the craptastic Razer Carcharias Gaming Headset and needless to say I am sick of it.[/size][size=13.333333015441895px][/size]
[size=13.333333015441895px]So, I am shopping around for a new high end headset, one that is preferably under $300. I use my headset for 60% music and 40% gaming. Can anyone reccommend a good headset that has a built in microphone (preferably) that meet my needs? FYI, the music I listen to is mostly electronic and sometimes I listen to the occassional rock song. As for games, I play all types except for racing. Any one care to make a reccomendation? Thanks![/size]

Sennheiser HD558, $138 for a used one at Amazon (with Grado 6" mini adapter cable, $15) and whatever add-on microphone you like.
I've twice bought used headphones off amazon and had good luck.

Or a new Sennheiser PC360, $189 (used $125).

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #21,262 of 29,490
Quote:

Currently the best headset in production is the Sennheiser PC360, with quite good sound quality for both music and games, and fits within your budget.

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #21,263 of 29,490
I've decided to get two pairs of headphones: One for home, and one for when i'm on-the-go.
For the on-the-go headphones, i've already decided upon the V-moda m100's.
But i don't know what to get for the home headphones, i mean i wanted to get the he-400 + e17 but it seems to be a bit expensive and apparently the he-400's are extremely heavy. Anyone have suggestions?
I listen to EDM, Radiohead, Muse, and Arcade Fire. I have about $400 or so, though that might increase/decrease.

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #21,264 of 29,490
I'm trying to decide between two budget headphones right now: Sony MDR-V6, and Superlux HD668B.

Since I'm just getting into this realm, I don't have any amps or dacs (although I'm planning to get a dac for my laptop-- my main listening device, hopefully on Black Friday/Cyber Monday). Portability and build shouldn't be that big of an issue, since I'm going to use them at home only. I think MDR-V6 has fairly good isolation because it's closed, but I've also heard that HD668B has decent isolation for a semi-open design, so it shouldn't be too big of an issue either.

So the only thing left for me to decide is the sound: is MDR-V6 worth the extra $20 in comparison to Superlux? So far, based on my reading from this guide, it seems like HD668B has a slight upper-hand in this category. But I want to hear some more opinions before I make my decision.

I mainly listen to rock, pop, jazz, and classical/orchestral music (occasionally things like electronics). Thanks in advance!

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #21,265 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm trying to decide between two budget headphones right now: Sony MDR-V6, and Superlux HD668B.

Since I'm just getting into this realm, I don't have any amps or dacs (although I'm planning to get a dac for my laptop-- my main listening device, hopefully on Black Friday/Cyber Monday). Portability and build shouldn't be that big of an issue, since I'm going to use them at home only. I think MDR-V6 has fairly good isolation because it's closed, but I've also heard that HD668B has decent isolation for a semi-open design, so it shouldn't be too big of an issue either.

So the only thing left for me to decide is the sound: is MDR-V6 worth the extra $20 in comparison to Superlux? So far, based on my reading from this guide, it seems like HD668B has a slight upper-hand in this category. But I want to hear some more opinions before I make my decision.

I mainly listen to rock, pop, jazz, and classical/orchestral music (occasionally things like electronics). Thanks in advance!

I just have something you could consider to add to your list if you like:

Its the same as the Koss ProDJ100 but it's on sale. 
http://www.tuesdaymorning.com/tony-bennett-signature-edition-stereophones/1255982.jsp

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #21,266 of 29,490
I need help choosing an SS amp for my Q701's.  I'm going to college soon so I want something that is "transportable" enough to lug around.  Good synergy with Q701's.  Budget of $200. Maybe $250.  I'm unsure whether or not to pull the trigger on an M-Stage or an O2.

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #21,267 of 29,490
Looking for full-size closed can that will not require an amp, preferably available at Future Shop. This is for a family member that previously they used the Philips O'Neill The Stretch but multiple sets have broken under warranty at Future Shop and the product is no longer available. I'm not certain if they'll shop there again but here is the site if they do: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/category/over-ear-headphones/11174.aspx?path=b4e9b352ab84b8dfa0c740c22c9ef8c3en01.

I'm leaning towards suggesting the ATH-M35s(http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/audio-technica-audio-technica-headphones-ath-m35-ath-m35/10160346.aspx?path=295b8197884285f7784fdc35b0c1640cen02) because I was pleased with my ATH-ES7s for a long time. I have looked at the Summer Buying Guide and a few relevant links from the OP but unfortunately the recommendations don't appear to be available at retail stores. I will try to convince them to purchase from an online option so open to other suggestions outside of retail if they are worth it.

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #21,269 of 29,490
Quote:
I just have something you could consider to add to your list if you like:

Its the same as the Koss ProDJ100 but it's on sale. 
http://www.tuesdaymorning.com/tony-bennett-signature-edition-stereophones/1255982.jsp

I see that you have the Sony MDR-V6 in your profile, how does it stack up to the Koss in your personal opinion?

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #21,270 of 29,490
Someone offered me his [size=small]TEAC UD-H01 DAC and AMP for about $200. Originally I was going to buy a O2+ODAC combo. [/size]
[size=small]At the moment my main headphone is a self-modded T50rp which I love.[/size]

[size=small]Can someone help me decide between my options?[/size]

[size=small]- TEAC[/size]
[size=small]- O2+ODAC[/size]
[size=small]- Fiio E17 + E09K[/size]
[size=small]- Maverick D1[/size]
[size=small]- Nuforce iCon HDP[/size]
[size=small]- Something else.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back