++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 16, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #21,226 of 29,490
Here's the challenge: List me some better headphones then the Denon D2000

Amp: limited to FiiO E10 so that should take out high ohm expensive cans off the list...
Don't want: HE-400, any Sennheiser

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #21,227 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The "phono stage" is for the analog output: RIAA Equalization.

USB-out is digital. No external phono stage is possible or necessary.

So, I would need something (not sure?) between my turntable and my MKIII to use it? I do (and most likely use) is to USB-out a vinyl and import it at lossless, then burn it to a cd, but still.

I wouldn't purchase another turntable myself and I wouldn't recommend one to somebody who doesn't already own enough LP's to make it worthwhile. Records produce 11 bits of useful resolution and CD's 15 or so. A given CD is almost certain to sound better than its LP equivalent. People who like the "vinyl sound", a term I just invented, don't agree with my assessment of sound quality.

But you didn't ask about any of that.

To use the USB-out on the turntable (or computer or DAP/PMP or whatever) and the analog inputs of the MKIII (is that a LittleDot?), you need a digital-to-analog converter which accepts digitized audio over USB. In plainer English, you're looking for a USB DAC.

Two inexpensive but surprisingly good USB DAC's are Behringer's UCA-202 and UCA-222. They should retail at US$20-$30. A better model, but significantly more expensive is JDS Labs' Standalone ODAC at US$149. Functionally identical models, with different trade names, are available from Audio Poutine (CA) and Ephipany Acoustics (UK.)

Of course there are many other USB DAC's. These are just the two with which I have personal experience. I recommend them ... as if my recommendation is worth anything.

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #21,228 of 29,490
Hey y'all,

Would love it if I could get some help on this:

Want a portable supra-aural closed headphone for ~$200. Preferably with a mid-centric sound with sound quality similar to that of a Westone UM3x. Probably used mainly for indie rock. Biggest two requirements would probably be mid-centric and fast. Would prefer no V-shape. I currently have a pair of HD25s, but they really don't get used that much since I don't like the circumaural feel. Thinking maybe the K550 could be the answer, but it might be too big for transport? What I might be looking for would be a faster version of the ESW9.

I'll be playing it out of an Audioquest Dragonfly, source is mainly 320kbps mp3.

I'd actually like it better if you told me that such a headphone didn't exist so I can just go back to using IEMs all the time.

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #21,229 of 29,490
Quote:

I wouldn't purchase another turntable myself and I wouldn't recommend one to somebody who doesn't already own enough LP's to make it worthwhile. Records produce 11 bits of useful resolution and CD's 15 or so. A given CD is almost certain to sound better than its LP equivalent. People who like the "vinyl sound", a term I just invented, don't agree with my assessment of sound quality.

But you didn't ask about any of that.

To use the USB-out on the turntable (or computer or DAP/PMP or whatever) and the analog inputs of the MKIII (is that a LittleDot?), you need a digital-to-analog converter which accepts digitized audio over USB. In plainer English, you're looking for a USB DAC.

Two inexpensive but surprisingly good USB DAC's are Behringer's UCA-202 and UCA-222. They should retail at US$20-$30. A better model, but significantly more expensive is JDS Labs' Standalone ODAC at US$149. Functionally identical models, with different trade names, are available from Audio Poutine (CA) and Ephipany Acoustics (UK.)

Of course there are many other USB DAC's. These are just the two with which I have personal experience. I recommend them ... as if my recommendation is worth anything.

I understand that I'd need a DAC for the USB out, my question was.. it also has analog out - the two RCA cables.. could I plug that straight into my MKIII?

I also have my Fiio E7 - Im pretty sure I could use the USB out and DAC with that if needed?

as for "vinyl" sound - i use it purely for records which I can only find on vinyl, usually at weird local import/hard to find music stores, im not using it as a primary source.

Edit: Thanks for the help by the way. Im an exercise physiologist - I get how the body works, but when it comes to electronics - I have a basic understanding, but im not fantastic. Hah.

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #21,230 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey y'all,

Want a portable supra-aural closed headphone for ~$200. Preferably with a mid-centric sound with sound quality similar to that of a Westone UM3x. Probably used mainly for indie rock. Biggest two requirements would probably be mid-centric and fast. Would prefer no V-shape. I currently have a pair of HD25s, but they really don't get used that much since I don't like the circumaural feel. Thinking maybe the K550 could be the answer, but it might be too big for transport? What I might be looking for would be a faster version of the ESW9.

I'll be playing it out of an Audioquest Dragonfly, source is mainly 320kbps mp3.

I'd actually like it better if you told me that such a headphone didn't exist so I can just go back to using IEMs all the time.

I never liked UM3x, but I don't know why.
You can try the Grados, which excels in rock, is fast and is mid-centric. But they are not good for transport due to huge sound leakage, no isolation and long wires.
Or you can try the Shure SRH440. Its fast and near neutral, but have emphasis on mid, not as much as Grados though, but still good for rock. Its better for transport.

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #21,232 of 29,490
Quote:
I have an e10 amp and I narrowed down to the dt990(250) and the senn 598s. Used for gaming and I prefer the one with the best vocala

HD598's have far better vocals and mids in general, its not even comparable. They sound much fuller and more realistic. They also have better imaging and soundstage. DT990's will have slightly more bass and sharper highs. IMHO I'd take the 598's any day. For any purpose.

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #21,234 of 29,490
Quote:
I understand that I'd need a DAC for the USB out, my question was.. it also has analog out - the two RCA cables.. could I plug that straight into my MKIII?

Yes, you can try it. It won't hurt.

Phono equalization boosts (and EQ's) the output of a turntable, because turntables produce a relatively weak signal compared to components such as tape drives.  Listen to the result and see if you like it.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #21,235 of 29,490
Hey y'all,

On ears with mid centric sound sig? Look no further than the V-moda m-80 or the Beyer dt1350. Problem with the akg k550 is that they don't seal well. I experienced this for myself when I kept having to hold them in place so that the rear part would seal. They're also quite big for portable use

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #21,236 of 29,490
Looking for headphones for home use, 100 euro budget. I listen to hard rock/metal. They need to be comfortable. I don't care about bass. I've read good things about the AKG K240 MKII, are they good? I don't want anything from Grado because i'll be using my headphones for gaming too. 80% music, 20% games.  

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #21,237 of 29,490
Quote:
On ears with mid centric sound sig? Look no further than the V-moda m-80 or the Beyer dt1350. Problem with the akg k550 is that they don't seal well. I experienced this for myself when I kept having to hold them in place so that the rear part would seal. They're also quite big for portable use

Yeah, not really looking for on-ears. I'm thinking I'll stick with IEMs and either keep or trade the HD25s I have.

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #21,238 of 29,490
Hello again 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Hello fellow Head-Fi'ers, I need a recommendation for new HP's. 
Budget is around 100-120$, maybe even up to 150$ if there is something worthwhile fitting my requirements.
I'll be using them with my iAudio/Cowon J3 loaded with MP3's (not planning on using FLAC on this device if that matters), currently without any amp/DAC*, mostly on the bus to and from work so closed phones only for me. I rather avoid the annoying bus engine noise as much as possible ^^
My last.fm profile so you can get an idea of what I'm listening to: http://www.last.fm/user/n00bzZy/library
Or if you're too lazy for that- it's mostly Heavy/Thrash/Progressive/Symphonic/Power Metal, less of other sub-genres and some Hard Rock :p
I also live in quite a warm and very humid area, so preferably not anything similar to the M50's as far as ear-pads go.
As for the sound signature I'm looking for, that's pretty much the only thing I'm unsure of. Basically I like a balanced sound, with a slight emphasis on the bass (I'm also a beginning bassist so I like to hear bass lines as clear as possible without it pounding my brain). 
There are a couple of problems though- I live in Israel so the selection is relatively limited (wouldn't mind ordering from abroad if shipping costs aren't high). The second problem is there aren't really any shops here with listening stations to test phones, so I'll be making my buying decision based on reviews and recommendations here.

*I'm also considering an amp or DAC (or a combo) to complement the J3 along with the chosen phones, if there's any point in getting one with this combo and the fact I'll be listening to MP3's only on it. I guess I could spend another 50-100$ on one.

As always, I'm pretty sure I forgot something so if any extra info is needed to help me make a good decision I'll gladly provide it.

Thanks in advance :)

P.S.
I'm not very good with head-fi terminology, so bear with me :p

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #21,239 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello again 
smily_headphones1.gif

Overall, Ultrasone headphones handle metal incredibly well, and considering your budget, the Ultrasone HFI-580 would fit your criteria nicely, or the Ultrasone HFI-780 for a more balanced sounding set with slightly less bass emphasis.

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #21,240 of 29,490
As far as I can see both are unavailable here. Anyway, according to the specs on Ultrasone's webiste the HFI-580 has a 3m cable, so that's not an option (it's also the main reason I don't use my M50's out of the house other than the ear-pads). As far as the HFI-780 goes, the price is over my budget, at least when checking on Amazon and that's not considering possible shipping costs. Thanks for the recommendations anyway.
Quote: 

Overall, Ultrasone headphones handle metal incredibly well, and considering your budget, the Ultrasone HFI-580 would fit your criteria nicely, or the Ultrasone HFI-780 for a more balanced sounding set with slightly less bass emphasis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back