++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 14, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #21,181 of 29,490
Quote:
V-moda LP2
AT pro700mkII
AiAiAi TMA-1

I find that having a rolled off treble is good for EDM since a lot of the skrieky noises don't sound as pronounced and piercing.

Quote:
U can also have a look as the Beyer DT 770 PRO. Although i find it to be not as engaging as HFI-780.

I will check out all of those! I'm kinda interested in a dj styled headphone, but then again it doesn't really matter.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #21,182 of 29,490
So, I'm in a state of liquidating right now guys because I want to make a really significant headphone purchase. I've already decided to buy the Matrix m-stage (classA, opa627ap) from tamaudio, now I need to decide which headphone would suit me best. My price range is less than $400 and I really want an open headphone. I listen to a bit of everything: rock, acoustic music, EDM, lots of female vocalists, reggae, ambient music, and hip-hop.

I have a grasp on what I like and don't like. I didn't like the forward treble of the Beyer dt880 (sounded too thin), or the laid back mids of the Ultrasone hfi2400 (wooly female vocals) and Beyer dt990 pro (vocals too distant). Meanwhile, I seriously love the tonality from my PX100-II (very engaging, yet never too sparkly in the treble).

So can someone help me choose among what I think are good choices: senn hd558, hd600, hifiman he400, akg q701, and anything else you may suggest 
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #21,184 of 29,490
Hey guys! New here (kinda, I have a super old account from.. 2007 or 2008, I posted for a year then went to college. I dont even remember what the NAME was on that account, so I figure a "fresh" start now that I have the $$$ for an actual set up past my grado sr-80's!)

Anyway - Im looking at about $600 for a "set up" aka amp + headphones.

I was really looking into the hifiman HE-400, AKG-550 and Beyer DT880 + an amp (no idea on amps, though id love a tube amp)

The big thing with me is punchy bass and good seperation of instruments during very complex pieces, mainly being I listen to a lot of metal and experimental jazz.

Good example of a few things I listen to:

I also listen to a ton of Battles, Devin Townsend, Genghis Tron, Meshuggah, and many others but also hit some rap on occation (not bass heavy stuff, more along the lines of Sage Francis and Aesop Rock)

Im not too worried about rap or any of my bass-heavy stuff, as I only listen to that when in my car, lol.

Anyway - any suggestions on a good amp + headphone combo? My source is either my record player, computer, or cd-player (looking into a better one for that in the future as well)

thanks everyone!

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #21,185 of 29,490
Can I get a recommendation? I spend a lot of my time gaming, but I also really like music and listening to commentaries.  I'm using a Xonar DG, but can upgrade sometime soon.  I'm not much of a bass-head, but I like at least some bass for some power behind the music.  I mainly listen to classical and video game music (please don't judge) which is kinda peppy and rock-ish.  I was looking at the AD900, what do you guys recommend for a set of headphones around this range (about $100-200)?

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #21,186 of 29,490
Quote:
Can I get a recommendation? I spend a lot of my time gaming, but I also really like music and listening to commentaries.  I'm using a Xonar DG, but can upgrade sometime soon.  I'm not much of a bass-head, but I like at least some bass for some power behind the music.  I mainly listen to classical and video game music (please don't judge) which is kinda peppy and rock-ish.  I was looking at the AD900, what do you guys recommend for a set of headphones around this range (about $100-200)?

Save a few dollars, get a used Sennheiser HD558, $138 at Amazon.
Should be able to get away with using the Xonar DG for now.

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #21,187 of 29,490
I have some slight reservations against used products as essentially every single used product I bought either broke down or didn't work as well as expected.  I would personally prefer either sennheisers or Audio Technicas (leaning on the ADX00 series).

EDIT
I also want the largest sound-stage and the most comfort possible 'cause I game a lot and I'm gonna be wearing these headphones often for long periods of time.  I was leaning on the AD700s before, but people're saying the AD900s are worth the extra $100.  What do you guys think?

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #21,188 of 29,490
Quote:
I have some slight reservations against used products as essentially every single used product I bought either broke down or didn't work as well as expected.  I would personally prefer either sennheisers or Audio Technicas (leaning on the ADX00 series)

Amazon's official used stuff "warehouse deals" is covered though, one time I purchased a beard trimmer, and one of the guides was missing - they refunded me and never asked for me to return the item.

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #21,190 of 29,490
Quote:
I have some slight reservations against used products as essentially every single used product I bought either broke down or didn't work as well as expected.  I would personally prefer either Sennheisers or Audio Technicas (leaning on the ADX00 series).

EDIT
I also want the largest sound-stage and the most comfort possible 'cause I game a lot and I'm gonna be wearing these headphones often for long periods of time.  I was leaning on the AD700s before, but people are saying the AD900s are worth the extra $100.  What do you guys think?

Two months ago I got used Beyer T70s ($300) from Amazon and earlier today my used DT990 600-Ohm ($214) arrived from Amazon.
Zero problems and both arrived in great shape.

I own the ATH-AD700 & ATH-A900X.
I never use the AD700s anymore because of the light bass.
The ATH-A900Xs are good sounding, but work best with an amplifier with a low impedance and I'm assuming the ATH-AD900s are the same.
Not sure on the headphone jack output impedance of the Xonar DG.

Also might want to wait a week or two, I'm guessing "headphones on sale" will be coming out then.

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #21,191 of 29,490
You can set the impedance up to 150 ohms, but it can be run a lot lower.

Yeah, I'll try to watch for sales as I'm still scrounging up a bit of money if I'm to go for the AD900s.  I just want something that's unique, comfy, and has really good sound-stage.

Thanks for your help guys :)

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #21,193 of 29,490
Quote:
Interesting Shop... may I suggest Best Buy or Amazon.com lol

For any one looking to get into Audiophile head phones I really do love the Koss Pro DJ Series, if you want BASS then go with the Pro Dj 100, if you Don't then try the Pro Dj 200. There may be other Head phones for around $130 better than Koss Pro Dj 200, but that whole line has always impressed me! Compared to my Dt 880s the Koss Pro Dj 200's where not to bad :3, I ofc tested with lossless files to mind you! 

lol. no best buy in my country, and i dont want to deal with online shops.
tried the sr60i, and wow! I liked it slightly better then the Shure SRH440. While Shure has better bass and sounds fuller, the SR 60i sounds livier (not sure how to spell), at least with my ears and songs im listening to.
I think I will be going for SR 60i

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #21,194 of 29,490
Quote:

Try Shure SRH 440. I tried it and it sounds good, less coloured and better bass compared to grado SR 60i.
From what I read online, it is also very good for gaming as the direction heard in the headphone is very clear, like 360 degrees. At least that is what I read.

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #21,195 of 29,490
hey guys im having trouble picking heaphones.. so,
some that i've considered
Beyer 880/770/990 ( im not sure about those 3 diff)
sennheiser 558,600,650HD
Fischer f-003 ( looks very comfortable)'
aiaiai tma-1 ??
denon's??
m50
so basically that's it or u could suggest me more headphones.. so usually the price of those headphones would be 2x the price in my country. I would like 50%bass and 50%clarity for my headphones.. i would not want the bass to overlap with the clarity, or either there is too much clarity but no bass/slight bass.. 

i would probably consider getting an amp but a portable one.. but will the portable one make the headphones 'stand out'? or in other words, 'shine in their true colors'? certainly i would not get a Big amp.. anyways i use the headphones/amps mostly at home 80-90% but i still do not want a big amp. And im going to oversea's next month, i would want something portable too :) 

from what i've heard, the sennheiser 600/650HD WOULD NOT sound good right out from the box.. they need an amp! which im afraid if i get a portable amp it wouldnt sound as good as those big amps... ya know what i mean...

I hope u guys can recommend me one of the headphones above along with a portable amp( if it can be on par with those big amps/worth it) thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back