++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 12, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #20,057 of 29,490
Hey guys! I'm trying to figure out what headphones I should get. I've had 2 pairs of AD700s that I like a lot. Now that my 2nd pair has broken, I'm looking to get something different--preferably something with more bass. I read through the 2012 summer buying guide, and I'm considering Sennheiser HD598.

I plug them into my computer, and I don't have an amp or anything.

I play games (league of legends, so positional audio isn't a concern) while listening to random music on spotify. I listen mostly to whatever is popular, house music, and soft rock. I'm at the computer for most of the day, so comfort for all day use is paramount.

Am I on the right track with the HD598? For my purposes would I be better off saving money and going with just the HD558? Would either of those work well without an amp, or should I consider getting something cheaper and an amp? About $250 total is the most I'd like to spend, but that isn't an absolute limit. What other cans along these lines--all the positives of the AD700 but with more bass--should I consider? Thanks!

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #20,058 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys! I'm trying to figure out what headphones I should get. I've had 2 pairs of AD700s that I like a lot. Now that my 2nd pair has broken, I'm looking to get something different--preferably something with more bass. I read through the 2012 summer buying guide, and I'm considering Sennheiser HD598.

I play games (league of legends, so positional audio isn't a concern) while listening to random music on spotify. I listen mostly to whatever is popular, house music, and soft rock. I'm at the computer for most of the day, so comfort for all day use is paramount.

Am I on the right track with the HD598? For my purposes would I be better off saving money and going with just the HD558? Would either of those work well without an amp, or should I consider getting something cheaper and an amp? About $250 total is the most I'd like to spend, but that isn't an absolute limit. What other cans along these lines--all the positives of the AD700 but with more bass--should I consider? Thanks!

The HD598/558 should have more bass than the AD700 but they still don't have a whole lot and not as much as closed cans. Are you set on open cans? That's great if you are, and I recommend it if you don't need isolation, but be aware that the 598/558 are no bass monsters either. I do think you would probably be happy with either the 558 or 559 as an overall upgrade to the AD700.

The DT990 might be an option, it should have a similarly wide soundstage but it has emphasized bass & treble and therefore recessed mids, in case that's not to your liking. However your genres would probably sound pretty good with them.

Other than that I'm not sure.. you might check the gaming headphones thread, there should be a few on there that have similar attributes to the AD700.

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #20,059 of 29,490
Hey guys I am wondering what headphones you would think are the best right now for a basshead-like sound signature. I will be using them for Rap/Hip Hop, Electronic, Dubstep,and RnB. Do you think that the V-MODA M-100 would be a good headphone for me? Also, do they need an amp? Are there any other headphones around the <$300 price range that would be better for me? I really love the style of the M-100 and I would prefer a closed and around the ear headphone. Thanks!

-Also I would prefer the price to be under or around $200 but I think it might be worth it to save up a little more for these.

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #20,060 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elladril /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If all your using is the motherboard's built in audio, at least get the Asus Xonar DG (or DGX) sound card, should improve the sound quality over whatever audio is built into your motherboard.
How about some used HD558s.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-HD558-Open-Aire-around-the-ear-headphone-/170918705713?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item27cb8c7a31
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-HD-558-Around-the-Ear-Acoustic-Headphones-/280990886525?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item416c5caa7d
And maybe a short 6" adapter cable.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cable-Adapter-1-4-inch-to-1-8-in-3-5mm-TRS-Mini-plug-/190548608748?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2c5d9506ec

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #20,061 of 29,490
Quote:
Okay! This is what I'd like to hear. This makes them go from "this doesn't quite fit the signature I was expecting" to "these could be pretty good". I found that the MC5 didn't have much in the way of impact no matter how well I fit it in, so the little bump in bass as well as soundstage sounds great. And they should run off an E6/not be too terrible to wear out and about?

Edit: Also, is there anywhere better to pick them up than Amazon?

Don't worry. I don't know about the MC5s, but the 780s have way more impact than the Etys I have heard. Ultrasone bass hits with authority. 

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #20,062 of 29,490
Hey KG Jag, Purple Angle, Poodytang, Hipster,...

I was thinking of starting a thread with nearly the same title under Portable/IEM section. Try to gain popularity and rope in some decent contributors. I searched for one and I couldn't find one quite like this...

If I did would you guys use it to refer people?

Edit: Actually Joker's threads would prolly be the closest. Maybe I should ask him to start one with a more obvious title like this one.

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #20,063 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey KG Jag, Purple Angle, Poodytang, Hipster,...
I was thinking of starting a thread with nearly the same title under Portable/IEM section. Try to gain popularity and rope in some decent contributors. I searched for one and I couldn't find one quite like this...
If I did would you guys use it to refer people?
Edit: Actually Joker's threads would prolly be the closest. Maybe I should ask him to start one with a more obvious title like this one.

I like the basic idea.  However, I think there already is--or at least was--such a thread.  Not sure how popular it is/was.

In fact about 7 or 8 monts ago, I tried to start such a thread and was told it already existed.

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #20,064 of 29,490
Quote:

Start with PurpleAngel's advice.  With regard to headphones, the 700 is a great can for the money, but is bass light--even for dedicated non-bassheads like me.  The Senn HD 518, 558 and 598 will all give you more bass and are excellent all around cans.  Get the 558 or 598, if they are in your budget.

The Audio Technica ATH-AD900 is the natural step up from the 700) is an excellent can and very easily driven.  It will give you more bass than your 700, but is not for bassheads of any stripe.

If you want a truly bass oriented can (basshead or basshead lite classes), that is another discussion.

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #20,065 of 29,490
Quote:
People on here also have good things to say about the JDS Labs cMoyBB v2.03. I can't tell you exactly how much power it will output, but I'd put it on your list of amps to read up on.

I have the JDS Labs cMoy BB v.2.03 Rechargeable 2x9V and it drives my 250ohm Dt 880s rather nicely. Granted a c421 or Schiit Asgard would do a better job, but for a Sub 100 Amp I find it  very satisfactory!

Quote:
eqing for bass causes distortion and it just sounds unnatural, i don't assume anything on the amount you eq, it just doesn't sound good to me.

That's because your doing it wrong u silly bear, you never EQ up for more bass rather you EQ everything elese dwn OR you can EQ everything dwn about to -5db and Eq up  and dwn from there, but yea when you make things louder it distorts so you always eq away from and closer to 0 but never over 0 because  :D It distorts!

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #20,066 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys I am wondering what headphones you would think are the best right now for a basshead-like sound signature. I will be using them for Rap/Hip Hop, Electronic, Dubstep,and RnB. Do you think that the V-MODA M-100 would be a good headphone for me? Also, do they need an amp? Are there any other headphones around the <$300 price range that would be better for me? I really love the style of the M-100 and I would prefer a closed and around the ear headphone. Thanks!

-Also I would prefer the price to be under or around $200 but I think it might be worth it to save up a little more for these.

You Could Try the V-Moda M80 and you may need an amp for the V-100, there is a V-Moda thread you may want to look into as well
http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/7755

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #20,067 of 29,490
Quote:
Anything with cello, bassoon, bass, etc will want a weighty bottom end to better reproduce those instruments.
Lower and upper mids are important for vocals strings and percussion.
Amping won't be necessary. Ask to borrow his iPod and test the headphones you're interested in buying him to make sure they can be driven to acceptable listening levels.
IPod is a respectable dap. Don't need to buy a new one.

That's a tough one without an amp.  My suggestion is the not-so-cheap Grado RS 2i.

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #20,068 of 29,490
Suggestions for semi-portable, slightly warm, closed, reasonably bass-heavy headphones? Under 200.
I've been wanting to try ultrasones for a while, but I just got some JVC FDX-80 and they're quite sibilant, I've never had any very sibilant headphones before and I've read ultrasones suffer from the same problem and are cold/sharp/metallic. Does anyone know if they're more or less sibilant than my JVC's?

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #20,069 of 29,490
Quote:
Suggestions for semi-portable, slightly warm, closed, reasonably bass-heavy headphones? Under 200.
I've been wanting to try ultrasones for a while, but I just got some JVC FDX-80 and they're quite sibilant, I've never had any very sibilant headphones before and I've read ultrasones suffer from the same problem and are cold/sharp/metallic. Does anyone know if they're more or less sibilant than my JVC's?

If the highs on those cans are too harsh for you, you might like the Spider Power Force.

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #20,070 of 29,490

Users who are viewing this thread

Back