++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 11, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #20,042 of 29,490
Quote:
The HFI 780 will not be neutral, but it seems to be a good fit based upon everything else you asked for. It has an emphasis on the bass, but not so much that it overs powers the other frequencies. Also, your primary genres are electronic, and Ultrasones are considered one of the better brands for that music genre. They also have S-logic which gives tries to give the sound a 3D sense, which will probably give you the best soundstage for a closed can in your price range. If you are seriously considering the M50, the HF 780 is a similar sound signature, but more balanced.

Okay! This is what I'd like to hear. This makes them go from "this doesn't quite fit the signature I was expecting" to "these could be pretty good". I found that the MC5 didn't have much in the way of impact no matter how well I fit it in, so the little bump in bass as well as soundstage sounds great. And they should run off an E6/not be too terrible to wear out and about?

Edit: Also, is there anywhere better to pick them up than Amazon?

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #20,043 of 29,490
Quote:
lol you assume that I always eq it, I use it 100% neutral for listening to Sound Tracks, and instrumentals which is wonderful BUT when I decide I want to listen to some Dub Step in stead of switching to my fun cans I can EQ them, so a neutral can eq's very nicely but obviosuly I use them netrual 90% of the time lol but taht 10% I want some fun bass it's avalible!

eqing for bass causes distortion and it just sounds unnatural, i don't assume anything on the amount you eq, it just doesn't sound good to me.

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #20,044 of 29,490
@devhen and kg jag

thank you guys so much. this really helped.

i'm going to put your suggestions on hold, because i think i got my sister and her fiance to help contribute to the gift. it will increase my budget (and my options for purchase) quite significantly.. 

will let you guys know.

Oct 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #20,045 of 29,490
Quote:
Okay! This is what I'd like to hear. This makes them go from "this doesn't quite fit the signature I was expecting" to "these could be pretty good". I found that the MC5 didn't have much in the way of impact no matter how well I fit it in, so the little bump in bass as well as soundstage sounds great. And they should run off an E6/not be too terrible to wear out and about?

Edit: Also, is there anywhere better to pick them up than Amazon?

I think Amazon will have about the same price or better, than most retailers. According to the price tracker the lowest "new" condition sold on amazon for $140, so this is about the best price you will see new. There does appear to be one available via Amazon Warehouse in "good" condition for $138 if you don't mind used

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #20,046 of 29,490
Pardon interrupting the flow. But not long after my last pair of headphones broke (a cheap pair sold by The Sharper Image), I'm on the prowl for some new cans to soothe and satisfy my aural desires:

1. No reference models, no in-ear monitors; rather, a preferably portable, somewhat isolating pair of on-the-ear headphones.
  2. Headphones that generally work well with all genres, but focus on electronic music.
  3. I'm also looking to pay less than $100 on the headphones, which I find reasonable considering that this is my first serious foray into purchasing worthwhile headphones.
  4. Also looking for headphones that don't need to be driven through amps or anything like that (although, from the looks of things, this seems to be a rather moot point).

From all the resources and knowledge that I have referenced and gone over, I'm always leaning towards making a purchase from either AKG (K81DJ/K518DJ) or Audio-Technica (SJ55/WS55). I'm particularly interested in the AKG products because of their simple styling and modding potential (and surely some other features, of which I have partially forgotten) and in the Audio-Technica products because of their sleek design (have only researched them for a short time, but liking what I'm seeing). The reviews for both brands (all four headphones) are generally positive, so I don't think that is much an issue. I'm interested in what discussion could come out of this, and what bang for my buck I could achieve from it as well. Keep me posted.

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #20,047 of 29,490
Hey all. New user here looking for some recommendations. I'm looking for some new cans, and I've been doing some research. I'd prefer to spend under $100, but I'd be willing to go to $150 if there was something really great and stylish. Here are the few I've been looking at:

Ultrasone 580 (lowest price I've found is $120)
Audio Technica ATH-M50 ($110 for black but would prefer white)
Reloop RHP-10 (I really like the green/white ones, $90)
Audio Technica ATH-WS55 (really digging the red/black, $78)
Numark Red Wave ($66 shipped)

As far as the type of sound I like, I generally like bassier sounding headsets and speakers. I'll probably be listening primarily from a smartphone (HTC Vivid, to be specific). I'll be using them to listen to music when I'm out and about, so portability would be nice but I'm no stranger to using bulky headphones in public. Sound quality and price are the two most important things to me. Also, I wear glasses, so if any of these are super uncomfortable with glasses, probably a no-go. Any tips/other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #20,048 of 29,490
Pardon interrupting the flow. But not long after my last pair of headphones broke (a cheap pair sold by The Sharper Image), I'm on the prowl for some new cans to soothe and satisfy my aural desires:

• No reference models, no in-ear monitors; rather, a preferably portable, somewhat isolating pair of on-the-ear headphones.
  • Headphones that generally work well with all genres, but focus on electronic music.
  • I'm also looking to pay less than $100 on the headphones, which I find reasonable considering that this is my first serious foray into purchasing worthwhile headphones.
  • Also looking for headphones that don't need to be driven through amps or anything like that (although, from the looks of things, this seems to be a rather moot point).

From all the resources and knowledge that I have referenced and gone over, I'm always leaning towards making a purchase from either AKG (K81DJ/K518DJ) or Audio-Technica (SJ55/WS55). I'm particularly interested in the AKG products because of their simple styling and modding potential (and surely some other features, of which I have partially forgotten) and in the Audio-Technica products because of their sleek design (have only researched them for a short time, but liking what I'm seeing). The reviews for both brands (all four headphones) are generally positive, so I don't think that is much an issue. I'm interested in what discussion could come out of this, and what bang for my buck I could achieve from it as well. Keep me posted.

Don't think you r gunna get a lot of responses. You are in the FULL SIZED forum and you are looking for portable. I can say find yourself a used HD25-1 II for just over 100 or get yourself a pair of JVCS400 for 25 bucks while you save up for some momentums or something like that. I just got a pair of phiaton s400's which are for sale on newegg for 130 bucks if you want a less sparkly signiature than the HD25 (I actually REALLY like them). But again, you sould try your luck in the portable threads. Good luck.

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #20,049 of 29,490
Quote:

Generally good amps include the portable Total Airhead, currently on sale (at least in the US) for $49

Any reason that you'd recommend the Headroom Total Airhead over the Fiio E11?

I suppose it'd help if the question were more specific. I've been doing some reading yesterday and today so hopefully I can understand any responses that might come.

How would each of these amps perform with headphones with different ohms?
The three I can think of from the cans I've been recommended are:
Sennheiser HD600 300 ohms (devhen said that the E11 might be a little weak but should be able to drive the cans)
Beyerdynamic DT880 250 ohms
AKG Q 701 62 ohms

I'm a little concerned about the Total Airhead because of ClieOS's breakdown of the sub-$100 portable amps thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-8-1-amps-compared

thanks again.

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #20,050 of 29,490
Quote:

I suppose it'd help if the question were more specific. I've been doing some reading yesterday and today so hopefully I can understand any responses that might come.

Sennheiser HD600 300 ohms (devhen said that the E11 might be a little weak but should be able to drive the cans)
AKG Q 701 62 ohms

I'm a little concerned about the Total Airhead because of ClieOS's breakdown of the sub-$100 portable amps thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-8-1-amps-compared

thanks again.

The Airhead (which normally goes for $99) will power almost any dynamic can.  It was designed by Tyll, who is now the face of Inner Fidelity.  It is made in the USA and you don't have to worry about knock offs.  Its focus is quality sound.

However, it is not designed of IEM's.  The review paired the Air Head with them.  I don't own that many IEM's, but I don't understand why you would want to amp them.

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #20,051 of 29,490
Quote:

AKG Q 701 62 ohms

thanks again.

People on here also have good things to say about the JDS Labs cMoyBB v2.03. I can't tell you exactly how much power it will output, but I'd put it on your list of amps to read up on.

Oct 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #20,052 of 29,490
gotcha. thank you both.

i have to admit, i have a hard time imagining my dad holding an altoids can while listening to music. i doubt he even knows what they are haha 
etysmile.gif

Oct 11, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #20,053 of 29,490
Quote:
Don't think you r gunna get a lot of responses. You are in the FULL SIZED forum and you are looking for portable. I can say find yourself a used HD25-1 II for just over 100 or get yourself a pair of JVCS400 for 25 bucks while you save up for some momentums or something like that. I just got a pair of phiaton s400's which are for sale on newegg for 130 bucks if you want a less sparkly signiature than the HD25 (I actually REALLY like them). But again, you sould try your luck in the portable threads. Good luck.

I realized that I had posted in the full-sized forum after I read the OP (stupid me), but thanks for the input! That JVC HA-S400 looks pretty sleek & stylish, and I'm really liking what I'm seeing/hearing about them on their dedicated thread. Think I'll be setting aside a couple dollars to buy these, along with some pads recommended in the thread to try out. Again, thanks man!

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #20,054 of 29,490
The Philips Citiscape Uptown ($99) when compared to other <$100 headphones are there any that match or surpass in comfort and sound better for house/techno music but also okay for other types of music? Take into consideration there is no amplifier. In my list i've got; - Koss dj100 ($55) - Sony mdr-zx700 ($88) - Creative aurvana live ($90) ath-m50 not available due to being $140 here

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #20,055 of 29,490
The Philips Citiscape Uptown ($99) when compared to other

That uptown is an extremely comfy set of cans. I almost bought them for that reason ALONE. I'd suggest listing out answer's to some of the questions in the OP like what your source, style of music, signature, you are looking for and these guys can help you as best they can get the most comfy thing they know if in your price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back