++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 8, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #19,891 of 29,490
Thanks for responding KG Jag! I'm not quite sure what I prefer. I listen mostly to r&b and some hip hop/rap along with new pop stuff. I'd have to say, I really like bass though. But I don't want too much bass to kill my ears when playing guild wars 2 or borderlands 2 or whatever games. I also do like EQ settings for gaming/movies/music too kinda

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #19,892 of 29,490
I'm not entirely sure this is the proper place for this question, but I'm loathe to start a new thread -- and I figure if this isn't, someone can at least steer me right. (I looked in the IEM's forum but there doesn't seem to be a similar mega-thread and I couldn't find a general thread on rewiring there or anywhere else...) 

I have a pair of Hifiman RE262's. I really like the sound. However, the wires are basically shot. They started fraying almost as soon as I got them and now are only held together with gobs of electrical tape. 

My question: what are my best options for re-wiring? I took them in to a local shop (Q Audio, in Cambridge MA), and they basically told me to throw them away, which I obviously don't want to do. I also don't want to spend $100 to rewire $150 IEMs...

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #19,893 of 29,490
Price range ~$250, give or take

Preferences: Large soundstage with gobs of bass, warm and full sounding, yet extended and fast. 

Music preferences: edm (chillouts, dubstep, progressive house, electro house)

Source: FiiO E17/L7 preamp--> 7.1 Onkyo receiver

Simply put, I have a modded pro700mk2, and I want a larger soundstage. So, it would be awesome if there is a headphone similar to the pros, but open. 

Current possibilities:
dt990 pro 250 

The dt990 pros seem to be the only choice that I know of, but I was just wondering if there are any other honorable mentions. Thanks. 

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #19,894 of 29,490
Yes there are several choices that are better in terms of accurate reproduction of quality tracks.  The Shure SRH 840, KRK KNS 8400 and a number of Sony cans just for starters.  However, you will need to describe the sound signature that you are seeking in these new and (apparently) closed cans.  The M50 has a "V" shaped EQ with recessed mids.  That is quite different from the sound signature of your MS-1i.

I love the way the ms1i sounds, so something similar to that would be awesome. I'm not knowledgeable enough on the subject to know precisely what I want eq wise

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #19,895 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, all.

I recently purchased a pair of DT 880's 250 omhs, and I was just interested if you guys could point me in the direction of how I could go about choosing an appropriate amp/dac (if I even want one at all).

I'd mostly be looking for what the benefits would be, and I'm still obviously pretty new to this, so I'm not completely familiar with all the terminology, so anything newbie friendly would be ideal.

Thanks again guys.
beyersmile.png

Anyone?

I am using the phones with a PC.

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #19,896 of 29,490
Quote:
Anyone?

I am using the phones with a PC.

Asus soundcard if you are going that route. If you buy the Essence ST/STX you will pretty much have the best consumer soundcard and a really great DAC, the amp will be enough to hold you over for a while, best value really when using a PC.

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #19,897 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm not entirely sure this is the proper place for this question, but I'm loathe to start a new thread -- and I figure if this isn't, someone can at least steer me right. (I looked in the IEM's forum but there doesn't seem to be a similar mega-thread and I couldn't find a general thread on rewiring there or anywhere else...) 

I have a pair of Hifiman RE262's. I really like the sound. However, the wires are basically shot. They started fraying almost as soon as I got them and now are only held together with gobs of electrical tape. 

My question: what are my best options for re-wiring? I took them in to a local shop (Q Audio, in Cambridge MA), and they basically told me to throw them away, which I obviously don't want to do. I also don't want to spend $100 to rewire $150 IEMs...

This thread is for recommendations of full sized headphone within the full sized headphone section of the forum.  You're in the wrong time zone.

Oct 8, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #19,898 of 29,490
Quote:
complete newbie here when it comes to headphones. Looking to upgrade from the pair apple give you and have tried beats for a while (30 mins) and found them way to bass heavy for me. I have been reading forums and other sites and think i have it down to 3 but not sure which would be best. From what i have read lots of people praise sennheiser headphones but every pair that i see look like crap (i know this shouldn't matter but quality design factors in for me).

1.Grado SR80i
2.RHA SA950i
3.AKG K240 studio

Music genres: I'd say 80% pop/indie rock (killers/shins/hold steady/decemberist/awolnation/neon indian), 15% oldies/rock 60's-80's like Paul Simon/janis joplin. 10% hiphop (jayz eminem  No classical or metal.
Portable: yes (airplaine and biking/walking). will be used with iPhone 95% of the time (inline mic for calls would be great)
Price range: 150, but really trying for under 100. 
Amped: i dont know what that means but probably no if its paired with iPhone.
Headphone preference: over the ears. I am not an audiophile by any means. I want to listen and enjoy the music, apple earbuds dont really bother me but i want to get something a bit better and i know beats are not for me either. Thanks

Don't know if if will pass your fashion test, but the Shure SRH 840 will give you the mid bass hump without pulling it too far from neutral.  For less money and a more neutral (less bass) sound signature, the KRK KNS 6400 & 8400 are good picks.  In any case you might want to browse the buying guides that are linked in the opening post of this thread.

Oct 8, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #19,899 of 29,490
Hey guys, already did some research and got some opinions here, and decided that the Denon D2000s were the best choice for me.  However, since they're discontinued I have to wait around until a pair pop up on the FST board and hope that I'm quick enough.  So I was wondering, are there any current headphones with similar characteristics (the bass, more laidback sound, closed) around $200-250?  If not I'll continue waiting.  Previous post for reference:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op/19575#post_8739644

Oct 8, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #19,900 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, already did some research and got some opinions here, and decided that the Denon D2000s were the best choice for me.  However, since they're discontinued I have to wait around until a pair pop up on the FST board and hope that I'm quick enough.  So I was wondering, are there any current headphones with similar characteristics (the bass, more laidback sound, closed) around $200-250?  If not I'll continue waiting.

Don't w8 HUNT HARDER, I think you can find a D2000 some where LEGIT on the internet if u look hard enough >.>, you could try try the XB 1000s at about $270, they are pretty laid back but VERY sub bass heavy and unless u like the mega Dark Sony XB sound sig they r not for you but... if you can find D2k FIND IT and love it! 

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #19,901 of 29,490
Asking for advice for a friend,
they are looking for a first headphone, max $400,
they are into house, dubstep, trance, electro, dance etc.
a bit of pop too, so bass is obviously a priority,
i was thinking Audio technica ath m50's, 
what would your reccomendations be?

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #19,902 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, already did some research and got some opinions here, and decided that the Denon D2000s were the best choice for me.  However, since they're discontinued I have to wait around until a pair pop up on the FST board and hope that I'm quick enough.  So I was wondering, are there any current headphones with similar characteristics (the bass, more laidback sound, closed) around $200-250?  If not I'll continue waiting.  Previous post for reference:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op/19575#post_8739644

Some fellow made a post last week about selling his D2000's I told him "some one wants em" so he might get back to me and u might have a pair
Quote:
Asking for advice for a friend,
they are looking for a first headphone, max $400,
they are into house, dubstep, trance, electro, dance etc.
a bit of pop too, so bass is obviously a priority,
i was thinking Audio technica ath m50's, 
what would your reccomendations be?

I can't say I've ever had the m50's

but I can say Avoid the Pro 900 <3, I'd go for like Dt 990, maybe D5000 [getting close to 400] I've heard good things about the M-Audio Q40 as well... but Ath m50's aren't a bad place to start! if he really likes his music Bass heavy, he should look into getting a darker DAP and Amp 

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #19,903 of 29,490
Hello all,

Newbie here, I am under the assumption low impedance headphones are better with portable amps. Please correct me if I'm wrong cuz I am still deciding
whether I should get the DT990 (600 ohmversion) of higher impedance or the Shure 940 lower impedance.

I don't tend to be home too often but mostly study in a quiet place(university student here). So I need a fullsize headphone I can bring with me during my numerous study sessions. I will definitely have a portable amp with me, either the Fiio E10/11 combo or a JDS labs c42.

So please give me some advice. My budget is roughly $300 for headphones and sub $200 for amps so $500 total. And if there are better headphones to get let me know. My taste in music is mainly classical metal(quite detailed music basically) so I basically want neutral headphones, no extra bass or anything, just headphones that let me listen to what the artist intended me to hear.

Thanks,
KamijoIsMyHero

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #19,904 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all,

Newbie here, I am under the assumption low impedance headphones are better with portable amps. Please correct me if I'm wrong cuz I am still deciding
whether I should get the DT990 (600 ohmversion) of higher impedance or the Shure 940 lower impedance.

I don't tend to be home too often but mostly study in a quiet place(university student here). So I need a fullsize headphone I can bring with me during my numerous study sessions. I will definitely have a portable amp with me, either the Fiio E10/11 combo or a JDS labs c42.

So please give me some advice. My budget is roughly $300 for headphones and sub $200 for amps so $500 total. And if there are better headphones to get let me know. My taste in music is mainly classical metal(quite detailed music basically) so I basically want neutral headphones, no extra bass or anything, just headphones that let me listen to what the artist intended me to hear.

Thanks,
KamijoIsMyHero

Whoa man if you want neutral and detailed music without much Color the Dt 880 is ur friend! I've got them and trust me... THERES NO EXTRA ANYTHING <3

The Dt 880 250s I like, I run em through a Hifiman Hm 601 [slighty warm and colored] with a cMoy BB 2.04 2x9V... so as far as amps go I'm not to to sure... the cMoy [without the Bass Boost] has the power you'll need and is a nice amp I must say, the Dt 880s ofc are wonderfully transient... meaning all u hear is what the artist put there for u... 

So go with the Dt 880 250, then focus on finding and VERY neutral DAP and Amp [if u have an Apple DAP then u should be fine] I've heard to that the Fiio E11 is a little warm in it's bass but very Cold and Lean every where else... still though I have the cMoy and I like it, the bass has nice detail without to much extra warmth! 

I listen to alot of Instrumental Sound Tracks with my Dt 880s as well so I understand what you mean by no extra anything! Well mastered music can be ruined by to much coloration... 

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #19,905 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all,

I don't tend to be home too often but mostly study in a quiet place(university student here). So I need a full size headphone I can bring with me during my numerous study sessions. I will definitely have a portable amp with me, either the Fiio E10/11 combo or a JDS labs c42.

What source(s) are you plugging the headphones into?

Unless you buy something like the O2 (Objective 2) portable headphone amplifier ($155) might be best not to get 600-Ohms headphones for on the go.
Headphones in the 25-Ohm to 60-Ohm are good for working directly with portable audio players (usually do not need add-on headphone amplifier).
Audio Technica ATH-A900X, 40-Ohm
AKG K550, 32-Ohm
Shure 940, 40-Ohm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back