++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 7, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #19,831 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey everyone, 

I was re-directed to this forum for advice by a few people (that said this was the place for headphone's on the net) and need some advice or guidance in the right direction if you will in regards to getting a set of capable headphone for my home theatre setup. Basically Im in dire need of a set of cans to enjoy my blu-ray movies and the odd gaming session on my ps3. My surround sound system simply put is too loud for everyone else in the house. My budget right now is kind of slim but its not that anemic either that I cant get something decent I hope. Im not sure if I can even afford an amped setup or what an amp could do for me (sorry headphone amp newb here) in my situation as the headphones will be strictly be for movie viewing and not really music listening. But if its something I should consider in the future or future proof myself for now please suggest away.

Ill consider maybe saving up for it if the benefits will be that great. So needless to say these headphone's are never leaving home and will just be used inside my theatre room (with my ps3 as source or the a/v receiver I guess that the ps3 is connected to for audio right now) exclusively so I have no need for noise cancelling either. I guess what Im hoping for from the headphone's is the best possible re-creation of 5.1 (possibly 7.1?) surround sound with some good bass (im not a bass-head so just some nice bass that gets the intended impact of the scene across) and nice quality audio. Budget is around $150-$220 at the moment... I know its not much and I have a lot of requirements, lol, but Im hoping something in that range will deliver what Im looking for. I assume an amped setup is out of the question in that price range for the moment but I don't mind suggestions for amped setups to keep in mind for later. I have read there are actual headphones with 5.1 setups inside them?!

I have seen the Sennheiser HD 558 & 598 seen as good recommendations multiple places online... would those be a suitable candidate for my use?

Im eternally grateful for any responses to help me out in advance and I hope I have given enough information for proper advice. So Thanks and I hope to participate in the community here and learn more!

Quote:
Don't know much about the subject, except the Ultrasone S-Logic tries to capture surround sound.  Also these links to products may hold some interest for you:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Surround-Sound-Headphones/ci/16225/N/4220238603

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRDS6500-Digital-Surround-Headphones/dp/B004P15HD0

Hey, Thanks for the reply, KG Jag, I will check out those avenues. It doesn't look much is out there in the way of home theatre headphone's for surround sound. Just the few simulated surround sound options. 

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #19,832 of 29,490
Quote:
Isn't there anything better? I can spend more. Do those have a wide sound stage?
Now that you mention - I'll try them.

With the Xonar DG, you kind of limited as to headphone that plug into it and will sound their best.
Senn HD558s will work with the Xonar DG, but your paying $175.

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #19,833 of 29,490
Oct 7, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #19,834 of 29,490
Quote:
This is for gaming, but I would imagine it may help you as well seeing how it pertains to soundstage and positioning:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-9-29-2012-he-400-edited

Wow, thats an amazing thread that is very relevant. THANK YOU so much! I dont know how I will make it through reading that behemoth of a thread but Ill try to slowly read through the important parts. That Mixamp + headphones looks like a winning combo that can be done for around under $400 with a good set of quality headphones in that thread. Its over what I wanted to spend but Ill have to just figure out a way :wink: Ill read it more properly first before making any decisions.

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #19,835 of 29,490
Hi

I am looking for a pair of headphones as a backup to my custom Starkey SA-43 iems.

Of course, the sound has to be of a very high standard. 

My iems are almost perfect for me except the bass does not go down to the absolute lowest registers.

I am looking for a pair of headphones that output sound as close to the source as possible. If there is little bass in the song, then I want it that way.
If there is super low sub bass frequencies in the song, then I would like the headphone to have the ability to output it.

tl;dr: Need headphones with great technical ability and can output sound from the highest to the lowest frequencies only when required. I do not want the sound enhanced in any way.

Budget is around £150

Thanks

Oct 7, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #19,837 of 29,490
Quote:
I have never hear it.  What was its sound signature? 

How hard was it to drive and what will you be driving your new can with?

Are you looking for another closed or closed DJ can, or are other options, including open cans, OK with you?

If you budget is different from about $240, tell us what it is.

Tbh i really dont know what its sound signature was. Was using it for street wear, and powered it through my Samsung Galaxy S3.
Atm all options are open to me closed and open cans. My budget is 400$.

Oct 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #19,838 of 29,490
Hello, I've been lurking, I suppose, on this forum for at least a year and I've only just decided to join now because I'm very confused about what to purchase. Bit nervous about posting.
I'd like some advice on headphones that would work for me. I've been making lists of potential ones but I'm not sure about them due to lack of reviews, so I came here to get recommendations.

Some information:
Budget:
$0-$60 (I'm haven't much money.) I'd also like to able to purchase them on Amazon. (Are reviews there trustworthy?)
Music tastes: I have a rather eclectic music taste, but I'll try to sum it up; Electronic, Jazz, Classical, Japanese music (J-pop, Vocaloid, Electronic, some J-rock), The Beatles, R&B sometimes, sometimes a bit of Classic Rock, and Funk sometimes.
I like old films and music. I listen to some of everything, I guess. I like listening to the voices in songs a lot. I'm not sure if much bass is suited to my music tastes, but I like it sometimes.  So an all-around kind would be nice.
Purpose: In-home. For listening to music (and maybe occasionally shows). I'll be using them often to play digital piano. I don't think it matters much if it leaks or if inside noise comes in, but I'd rather it not. I'd like it to be comfortable as I'd be using them for hours. I won't be using an amp.
Portability: Optional.
Style: Anything is fine.

I'd just like a pair of good quality headphones for the price range. Concerns are sound quality, then comfort, then build, I suppose.
As for headphones, I've wanted to try the type like Koss Portapro (haha) but I'm not sure about supra-aural sorts, so. I'd like the circum-aural kind, then, but I'm open to trying supra-aural kinds if they're good.
Anyway, there's just too much information to process, and I'm not sure which ones to buy. I don't know whether to get open-backed ones or closed-back. I think I'm fine with either but maybe prefer closed-back a bit more.
I really can't list specific ones I'm looking at, because there are just too many options.

I've said a lot, and I'm most likely asking a lot, too. So I'd just like to say thank you all in advance.

Oct 7, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #19,839 of 29,490
Ok i've decided to bite the bullet and splash out on an Uber pair of headphones for use at home.
I'm looking for something no more than about £300 pounds but preferably around £200-£250.
These will only be used at home so i'm not too worried about sound leakage. I listen to just about every style of music bar rap so i'm looking for a well rounded pair of cans. A nice wide range, good bass and nice trebles and highs, (I'd prefer a pleasant sound to an accurate one).
I will probably be pluging it into my computer and possibly my phone but i may buy an amp in the future.
Thanks in advance.

Oct 7, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #19,840 of 29,490
Quote:

Tbh i really dont know what its sound signature was. Was using it for street wear, and powered it through my Samsung Galaxy S3.
Atm all options are open to me closed and open cans. My budget is 400$.

Based on what you said and the questions you didn't answer, I'm assuming that you are looking for a $400-ish can to listen to unknown quality music files from a portable phone without much power.  That's not my thing or area of much direct experience.  The best i can tell you is check out the new Senn Momentum (it's currently featured on the home page) and the new Denon line of cans replacing the D2000 through 7000.

Oct 7, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #19,841 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi

I am looking for a pair of headphones as a backup to my custom Starkey SA-43 iems.

Of course, the sound has to be of a very high standard. 

My iems are almost perfect for me except the bass does not go down to the absolute lowest registers.

I am looking for a pair of headphones that output sound as close to the source as possible. If there is little bass in the song, then I want it that way.
If there is super low sub bass frequencies in the song, then I would like the headphone to have the ability to output it.

tl;dr: Need headphones with great technical ability and can output sound from the highest to the lowest frequencies only when required. I do not want the sound enhanced in any way.

Budget is around £150

Thanks

Don't know UK prices, but I don't think such a can is currently on the market.  You would probably have to go way above your budget to reach the open/semi-open Beyer DT 880, HiFiMan HE-400 and closed Ultrasone Pro 750 before you're in that ballpark.

Oct 7, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #19,842 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, I've been lurking, I suppose, on this forum for at least a year and I've only just decided to join now because I'm very confused about what to purchase. Bit nervous about posting.
I'd like some advice on headphones that would work for me. I've been making lists of potential ones but I'm not sure about them due to lack of reviews, so I came here to get recommendations.

Some information:
Budget:
$0-$60 (I'm haven't much money.)
Music tastes: I have a rather eclectic music taste, but I'll try to sum it up; Electronic (House, Daft Punk, Passion Pit, chiptunes, just all sorts, really. ), Jazz (bossa nova, nu jazz, acid jazz, also all sorts.) Classical (Tchaikovsky, Ravel, all sorts, again) Japanese music (J-pop, Vocaloid, Electronic, some J-rock), The Beatles, R&B sometimes, sometimes a bit of Classic Rock, and Funk sometimes.
I like old films and music. I listen to some of everything, I guess. I like listening to the voices in songs a lot. I'm not sure if much bass is suited to my music tastes, but I like it sometimes.  So an all-around kind would be nice.
Purpose: In-home. For listening to music (and maybe occasionally shows). I'll be using them often to play digital piano. I don't think it matters much if it leaks or if inside noise comes in, but I'd rather it not. I'd like it to be comfortable as I'd be using them for hours.
Portability: Optional.
Style: Anything is fine.

I'd also like to be able to purchase them at Amazon. (Are the reviews there trust-worthy?)

I'd just like a pair of good quality headphones for the price range. Concerns are sound quality, then comfort, then build, I suppose. I've been looking around and I'm wondering if I should get IEMS or headphones. I don't know which is more suited to my uses. I haven't been fond of the kind that goes in your ears, but then again I've only tried earbuds, which I've disliked. So I'd like to try IEMS if they're a good sort. 
As for headphones, I've wanted to try the type like Koss Portapro (haha) but I'm not sure about on-ears, so. I'd like the circum-aural kind, then, but I'm open to trying supra-aural kinds if they're good.
Anyway, there's just too much information to process, and I don't know which ones to buy. I don't know whether to get open-backed ones or closed-back. I think I'm fine with either but maybe prefer closed-back a bit more.
I really can't list specific ones I'm looking at, because there are just too many options.
Oh, and, I won't be using an amp.

I've said a lot, and I'm most likely asking a lot, too. So I'd just like to say thank you all in advance.

I'd suggest that you start by studying the buying guides that are linked in the opening post of this thread.  At $60 you will be doing well to get 2 out 3 with regard to sound quality, comfort and build quality.

This section of the forum does not deal with IEM's--only full sized headphones.

Oct 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #19,843 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok i've decided to bite the bullet and splash out on an Uber pair of headphones for use at home.
I'm looking for something no more than about £300 pounds but preferably around £200-£250.
These will only be used at home so i'm not too worried about sound leakage. I listen to just about every style of music bar rap so i'm looking for a well rounded pair of cans. A nice wide range, good bass and nice trebles and highs, (I'd prefer a pleasant sound to an accurate one).
I will probably be pluging it into my computer and possibly my phone but i may buy an amp in the future.
Thanks in advance.

Can only guess at UK prices, but the Senn HD 558 & 598, Sony  MDR MA-900 and Audio Technica ATH-AD900 are all very good and easy to drive.  The Sony and AT are the easiest to power.

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #19,844 of 29,490
I'm new to all this so I've been reading a lot of posts trying to collect information.  I just want to know how to get a basic audiophile setup.  Just ordered a pair of ATH M50s which seem to fit my other hobby of making music ... I'm still a little confused about all the other stuff, like dac's and amp's.  I plan to use these headphones strictly on my pc so I was wondering if a DAC/AMP is a necessary purchase.  

Also, are the M50s good for listening to music?  Should I entertain the thought of another pair of headphones just for listening purposes in the same price range?

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #19,845 of 29,490
So I'm trying to save up for an AKG K701/Q701. I don't have a proper setup for them yet, but I think the _701 will be a good headphone for getting me more interested in amps [and maybe DACs].

1. Which _701 headphone should I get?
Sonically they are nearly identical (the Q701 seems more "refined"/tweaked based on Innerfidelity measurements).
Price-wise they are nearly identical as well (at least on Amazon).
I like the classic appearance of the K701 as well as knowing I own "the original", but the contrast in the (white) Q701 also looks nice. The removable earpads/cable are a nice bonus too.

As much as I like both models, I plan to cosplay as Mio from the anime K-On. People know her as THE AKG anime girl and she actually boosted sales for the K701 in Japan. XD

Should I get the K701 for "originality" and cosplay accuracy, or the Q701 for a "more refined" sound experience with a modern-looking appearance?

2. What [DAC/]amp would pair well with the _701?
I've read that the Schiit amps have good synergy with them.
At the moment I only have a Yamaha RX-V492 home receiver and a FiiO E7 USB DAC/amp.
I know nothing about synergy, ohm and power matching...so I feel like this would be a great opportunity to learn this stuff.

Should I go for a solid state amp for accuracy, or a tube amp for "warm vinyl-like" sound? I think it would be awesome to own a tube amp (my dad is actually interested too as he was mentioning McIntosh the other day), but at the same time I like accuracy too.
Maximum budget for me is around $400 USD.

Any help is appreciated. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back