++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 4, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #19,741 of 29,490
Hi all, hopefully i can pick your brains a bit. I have the oppurtunity to purchase a burson ha160 or lehmann black cube linear for roughly the same price. I have a sennheiser hd650. I was wondering if you guys had any idea which I should go for. Many thanks.

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #19,742 of 29,490
Im looking to get the most Flatness and 3d space out of my mixes via headphones for music production.

Im eyeing the Sennhesier 600's(read here they are flatter than 650) AKGQ701 and K701s, which would you recommend? If no to all of them, which then?

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #19,743 of 29,490
Quote:
YEA I'm really wanting the dt 990 my self for a good mid bass can, and again I love that I keep hearing about it <3

The DT 990 has a reputation for a "v-shaped" sound.

The Sennheiser HD 650 has a reputation for a "mid-bass hump." Is that what you want? Or hump-free?

I have both and really like both. But they don't sound the same.

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #19,744 of 29,490
Quote:
Im looking to get the most Flatness and 3d space out of my mixes via headphones for music production.

Im eyeing the Sennhesier 600's(read here they are flatter than 650) AKGQ701 and K701s, which would you recommend? If no to all of them, which then?

The HD600 is probably the most neutral, followed by the K701. The K701/Q701 will have the biggest soundstage. Of those I'd say either the HD600 or the K701, but for either one (or any of the ones you listed actually) you will also want a good amp to drive them.

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #19,745 of 29,490
Quote:
I would think you want an intimate presentation for folk... Also, from what I remember, my sr225i's soundstage wasn't that bad, I would say a bit above average.

Of course the 225i is a significant improvement from the 80i.  Most view it as the sweet spot in the SR line.  The SR's are OK for folk--much worse for classical.  While a big sound stage is not necessary for most folk music, the wall of sound just doesn't fit.  All that said, I can think of many cans that do folk much better in the same price classes as the two Grados.

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #19,746 of 29,490
Quote:
Okay, so i just got my first pair of over ear headphones (not including my pos Turtle Beach px5's)

There the Audio Technica ATH M50's and they are amazing, I also bought the Fiio EO6 Portable Amp with them and together the sound they put out is some of the best I have ever heard and I also know they will only get better once there burned in.

The only problem I'm finding is that after about 30-45 minutes they start feeling to tight, also I was never really a big fan of leather ear pads but decided to give them a try, and unfortunately I'm not crazy about them either I guess I'm a little more picky then I thought. :frowning2:

So if anyone has some tips to make them more comfortable please tell me :D. If I can't figure out how to make them feel better my best bet will probably be to look at a new type.

I bought them from Amazon directly so I won't have any problems returning them if that's what it comes down to.

SO what I'm looking for is a Over-ear headphone with good comfort, sound quality was good or better then the m50's, and $300 or under.

I am also kind of a big bass head, so please factor that in :). I was looking at the Sennheiser HD-598's but I'm not sure if I will go with them because I keep reading they don't have very good bass output. Although I love the looks and I'm sure the comfort is amazing.

Thanks,

Eric

You sound like a Beyer DT 770 kinda guy.

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #19,747 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all, hopefully i can pick your brains a bit. I have the oppurtunity to purchase a burson ha160 or lehmann black cube linear for roughly the same price. I have a sennheiser hd650. I was wondering if you guys had any idea which I should go for. Many thanks.

You'll probably get better and more responses through HD 650 appreciation thread or the desktop amp section of the forum.

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #19,748 of 29,490
Quote:
The HD600 is probably the most neutral, followed by the K701. The K701/Q701 will have the biggest soundstage. Of those I'd say either the HD600 or the K701, but for either one (or any of the ones you listed actually) you will also want a good amp to drive them.

I'd add the Beyer DT 880 (+/- Pro) to the consideration list.  The Audio Technica ATH-AD900 is also quite good and very easy to drive.

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #19,749 of 29,490
Quote:

The DT 990 has a reputation for a "v-shaped" sound.

The Sennheiser HD 650 has a reputation for a "mid-bass hump." Is that what you want? Or hump-free?

I have both and really like both. But they don't sound the same.

Yea most mid bass cans have that little hump in the middle that rolls off into the mids then back into the highs. its what comes with well mid bass cans, still the dt 990 does not have NEAR the roll offs the Pro 900 has

Still though any one know a better place to get Raw Data than Headroom, I really don't like using their stuff... I saw some unsmoothed Frq graphs today and that was well eye opening, I'd like to know where they got em from but they wont tell me <3

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #19,750 of 29,490
Quote:
Yea most mid bass cans have that little hump in the middle that rolls off into the mids then back into the highs. its what comes with well mid bass cans, still the dt 990 does not have NEAR the roll offs the Pro 900 has

Still though any one know a better place to get Raw Data than Headroom, I really don't like using their stuff... I saw some unsmoothed Frq graphs today and that was well eye opening, I'd like to know where they got em from but they wont tell me <3

Goldenears.net is pretty good
here is the Pro 900: http://en.goldenears.net/3508

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #19,751 of 29,490
Quote:
Goldenears.net is pretty good
here is the Pro 900: http://en.goldenears.net/3508

Hanks I like what I saw about the dt 880 250, I'm still alittle mad I got a cMoy :x as It's a colored Amp and for teh Dt 880s a very transient Can I'd like a cleaner amp so in 2 weeks the fiio e11 will be ith here! Granted it's a tab bit warm [I might not even use the bass boost] but I think it will be able to allow me to see what bass freq sound like at a transient lvl! Still though the cMoy although not pratical for refranceing with a refrance can will make the Dt 880 sound lovely me thinks <3

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #19,752 of 29,490
Quote:
Of course the 225i is a significant improvement from the 80i.  Most view it as the sweet spot in the SR line.  The SR's are OK for folk--much worse for classical.  While a big sound stage is not necessary for most folk music, the wall of sound just doesn't fit.  All that said, I can think of many cans that do folk much better in the same price classes as the two Grados.

i'm just wondering, have you heard/owned any of the cans you recommend to people?
i actually found my sr225i to be awesome at making almost every genre more fun sounding, i wasn't sleepy listening to most classical songs with them on. what else at 200$ is better though?

Oct 5, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #19,754 of 29,490
Well...owning the PRO 900 i know what i don't like in a headphone...

Can you recommend me something that has great sub-bass, almost comparable mid-bass, is comfortable, and does not have grainy piercing treble?

Listening to mostly EDM out of an FiiO E10, $300-$400 price range

Denon AH-D2000
HiFi Man HE-400 (New driver revision has grainy piercing treble apparently)
M-Audio Q40
Beyerdynamic DT 990 (32ohm or 250ohm?)
Beyerdynamic DT 880 (32ohm or 250ohm?)

Anything else to add to that list?

With the E10 should i consider 32ohm or can the E10 handle a 250ohm headphone?

Oct 5, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #19,755 of 29,490
Quote:

i'm just wondering, have you heard/owned any of the cans you recommend to people?
i actually found my sr225i to be awesome at making almost every genre more fun sounding, i wasn't sleepy listening to most classical songs with them on. what else at 200$ is better though?

Why yes--I own the SR 80i, 125i, 225i, 325is and RS2i plus the MS1i & 2i in the greater Grado family alone.  Since you raised the issue--which ones do you own?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back