++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 4, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #19,711 of 29,490
Quote:
Okay, I've started to question my current choice for headphones. My current choice is to go with the Q701's which I've demoed at a fellow member's house that was driven by an O2 and fed by an NFB 12.1 (DAC mode, FLAC files obviously) and I liked the sound. I'm not a basshead or anything and I felt that it had a good amount of impact.

I listen to Asian pop (sometimes J-Rock but not much), Vocaloid (Miku, IA, Gumi, and Luka specifically), C-Pop (Alan only as of now), New Age (Yiruma, DJ Okawari), Chiptune, and Vocastep (Vocaloid dubstep, and sometimes just dubstep from time to time). Sometimes I listen to Classical (possibly my only favorite orchestral piece is Gustav Holst's "The Planets", Mars being my most favorite piece of that group of pieces). Considering I find the bass on the Q701 already pretty good (maybe a little more wouldn't hurt), I don't need too much more when it comes to bass. I love a large soundstage (I've tried all of the headphones the member Bowei has) so I'd prefer an open headphone. I also like something that's good when it comes to positioning.

I've looked at the Q701, HD650 (used because I can't afford new), HD598, HD558, a T50RP with modifications, the Kenwood KH-K1000, and ATH-A900x (the Kenwood and Audiotechnica might be lacking in soundstage. I haven't read much on them). I have a budget of around $500, $200-$250 I'm spending on a custom O2 and Cirrus Logic DAC combination (which the members in my thread, the Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge like to call Project-H, or Project-Haiburi or Project-Haibunyan. Don't ask), so I have around $250-$300 for headphones.

Any recommendations? (sorry for asking for what's probably a lot)

Don't know your music, but from your list of headphones it appears that you are considering neutral-ish all arounders.  I would add the Senn HD 600 (more neutral than the 650), Beyer DT 880 and the affordable and easier to drive Audio Technica ATH-AD900, which is superior to the closed version on your list.

Oct 4, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #19,712 of 29,490
Quote:
Im saving money for a headphone and Id like to have one with (of course) the best SQ below $120. I was thinking of the Sennheiser HD 518, HD 439 and HD 449.
I listen to folk (Leonard Cohen), Phil Collins and classical mostly. Im not too sure what sort of headphone Im looking for, I think Id like to have a most realistic as possible sounding phone.

For classical music, the Audio-Technica AD-700 (which I know very well and enjoy) and the Sennheiser HD-518 (from reviews; a refurbished pair is on its way to me as I type this
smily_headphones1.gif
) are good choices well within your budget.

Oct 4, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #19,713 of 29,490
Quote:

Are you saying you really want more bass than you heard in the Q701? That the Q is absolutely perfect except for the bass?

Of the ones you've heard, what do you like? Dislike?

I'm fond of my new HD 650's, but the [QK]70[12] is enticing.

I was fine with the amount of bass it had. I'm just saying I would be fine with a little more (isn't a must or anything).

I only used them for about a few minutes (5-7 minutes each) and it was my first time hearing audiophile grade headphones (sadly I'm using some cheap Phillips earbuds) so I only have a small idea of how they sound (but now I cringe every single time I listen to my earbuds or my laptop speakers so I definitely liked the sound of the headphones). The SRH440 (Rather uncomfortable) had a very small soundstage. It felt like I was wearing something like a space helmet or fishbowl around my head and all of the sounds were coming from around 1-2 inches away from my head. Nothing sounded that special. The Ultrasone HFI-580 was slightly better, although it sounded a bit unnatural, maybe due to S-logic? It didn't seem to do anything too well except for the bass. Sort of puts the mids and highs in the back seat.

I instantly liked the Q701. The soundstage was much larger than the other headphones. Around that point I got used to how to position things with headphones because to me it's as if I'm in one of the front seats at a concert where the sound is going over my head and past the sides of my ears. The bass had enough impact for me. I might have wanted slightly more but my main focus was on the mids and highs which sounded very nice. However, when I really wanted to enjoy music sometimes it gave this very...I guess I would call it dead sound. It didn't have a fun sound like the AKG K422 I tried after. I'm happy with the neutral sound, but it might make it a bit difficult to enjoy music from time to time, but I guess that would depend on the music I'm listening to too. I listened to a few songs that I liked which bowei had that were a bit more lively, and it was fine.

Oct 4, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #19,714 of 29,490
I've been looking to upgrade my portable rig for some time now and finally had it narrowed down to either some ultrasone signature pro's or T5p's but with the release of the signature dj's and the fostex th-900 my decisions are torn yet again... As a reference I'm upgrading from some SRH-940's looking for slightly more bass weight and at least the same amount of treble extension and detail. I also own a pair of HD800's and PS1000's I love the detail and imaging of the senn's and the bass weight of the grado's but I still don't find the HD800's lacking.
I mainly listen to rock, metal, classical and trance whilst on the go, also noise attenuation is an important factor, diesel trains are too noisy... Then there's the other passengers :frowning2:

Thanks in advance
-fririce

Oh and amplification shouldn't be a problem I plan to grab a RSA SR-71B when I buy the phones :)

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #19,715 of 29,490
Quote:
Can't agree that the Grado is a good choice for folk and classical, although it's great for rock, blues and traditional country.

The (open) HD 518 is a good coice and good all arounder in your price range.  Also good are the open Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and closed KRK KNS 8400.

the folk i listen to sounded good when i had my grados. also, i have no clue where you get the connection between folk and classical. i would think folk is closer to rock, blues and country rather than classical.

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #19,716 of 29,490
Quote:
I've been looking to upgrade my portable rig for some time now and finally had it narrowed down to either some ultrasone signature pro's or T5p's but with the release of the signature dj's and the fostex th-900 my decisions are torn yet again... As a reference I'm upgrading from some SRH-940's looking for slightly more bass weight and at least the same amount of treble extension and detail. I also own a pair of HD800's and PS1000's I love the detail and imaging of the senn's and the bass weight of the grado's but I still don't find the HD800's lacking.
I mainly listen to rock, metal, classical and trance whilst on the go, also noise attenuation is an important factor, diesel trains are too noisy... Then there's the other passengers
frown.gif

Thanks in advance
-fririce
Oh and amplification shouldn't be a problem I plan to grab a RSA SR-71B when I buy the phones
smily_headphones1.gif

i've heard the sig pros and missed the only chance i'll get in a long while to listen to the th-900's, the sig pros are probably one of the best portables you can buy, quite open sounding and good soundstage for a portable. sounded balanced overall to me. the fostex i wouldn't reccomend for portable because they look to be the exact same design as the d7000 which have a very loose seal.

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #19,717 of 29,490
Quote:
I was fine with the amount of bass it had. I'm just saying I would be fine with a little more (isn't a must or anything).

I only used them for about a few minutes (5-7 minutes each) and it was my first time hearing audiophile grade headphones (sadly I'm using some cheap Phillips earbuds) so I only have a small idea of how they sound (but now I cringe every single time I listen to my earbuds or my laptop speakers so I definitely liked the sound of the headphones). The SRH440 (Rather uncomfortable) had a very small soundstage. It felt like I was wearing something like a space helmet or fishbowl around my head and all of the sounds were coming from around 1-2 inches away from my head. Nothing sounded that special. The Ultrasone HFI-580 was slightly better, although it sounded a bit unnatural, maybe due to S-logic? It didn't seem to do anything too well except for the bass. Sort of puts the mids and highs in the back seat.

I instantly liked the Q701. The soundstage was much larger than the other headphones. Around that point I got used to how to position things with headphones because to me it's as if I'm in one of the front seats at a concert where the sound is going over my head and past the sides of my ears. The bass had enough impact for me. I might have wanted slightly more but my main focus was on the mids and highs which sounded very nice. However, when I really wanted to enjoy music sometimes it gave this very...I guess I would call it dead sound. It didn't have a fun sound like the AKG K422 I tried after. I'm happy with the neutral sound, but it might make it a bit difficult to enjoy music from time to time, but I guess that would depend on the music I'm listening to too. I listened to a few songs that I liked which bowei had that were a bit more lively, and it was fine.

the whole problem i had with the q701 was the same as yours, everything sounded so thin, so artificial. i would suggest you audition the beyer dt880 and the hd650. both good choices at your budget though they are almost polar opposites. the dt880 is analytical and slightly bright with flat and well-textured bass while the hd650 is dark and warm with a small bass emphasis. i'm guessing you will either dislike or hate the hd650 (like me) because its highs are disappointing and diminished.

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #19,718 of 29,490
Quote:
the whole problem i had with the q701 was the same as yours, everything sounded so thin, so artificial. i would suggest you audition the beyer dt880 and the hd650. both good choices at your budget though they are almost polar opposites. the dt880 is analytical and slightly bright with flat and well-textured bass while the hd650 is dark and warm with a small bass emphasis. i'm guessing you will either dislike or hate the hd650 (like me) because its highs are disappointing and diminished.

Bowei tried to see if Sennheiser could lend us a model because they actually have an office in a town very close to where both of us live. Unfortunately they couldn't because I think it was only something like a...support office?

Bowei told me about a possible meet in Massachusetts though which I might be able to go if he or my parents can bring me to try out the HD650 if anybody brings them.

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #19,720 of 29,490
Quote:
the folk i listen to sounded good when i had my grados. also, i have no clue where you get the connection between folk and classical. i would think folk is closer to rock, blues and country rather than classical.

Grado SR cans give you the wall of sound with a small sound stage.  That does not work well with folk and classical--at least not for me.  For those genre's i want more sound stage and less slam.

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #19,721 of 29,490
Hello people of Head-Fi! I've been lurking these forums for some direction of what headphones I should buy. While I am a bit more educated I'm still having trouble deciding. I'm hoping I can get a bit more advice to make my decision easier if I just ask directly. Now for some info on what I'm looking for.

Music Genre: I mostly listen to various types of metal, tiny bit of rock and other stuff. This includes extreme, symphonic, folk, melodic metal, death/metal core, synthrock, new/dark wave, pop rock.
To name a few bands I'm listening to: Cradle of Filth, The Agonist, Arch Enemy, Rammstein, Blutengel, Indica

Price: I am currently on a real tight budget, so around $50-60 is all I can afford for now :/

Type of headphone: Over ear/circumaural closed. I don't want any sound leaking.

Possible Choices:  JVC HARX 700, Audio Technica ATH-M30, Superlux HD661, Koss UR50, Sennheiser HD202, Koss R80

Other information and stuff:
I understand that a single headphone can't suit all types of music.
The more portable the better, but I understand it has it's limitations due to size and all.
I've read that metal isn't recorded all that great due to loudness and it gets compressed, causing to loose a lot of it's dynamics.
I would wait a bit longer to save up to increase my price range, but the earphones I currently have are going to give out soon :frowning2:
I've never had headphones before, but I want to try them out. (I tried Beats at a Best Buy and I liked the overall feel to them)
For the past few years I've had JVC gummies, so anything I get will probably sound amazing to me lol

I realize I may be asking for too much for my price range but whatever you guys can suggest I'll look into.

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #19,722 of 29,490
Quote:
 the dt880 is analytical and slightly bright with flat and well-textured bass while the hd650 is dark and warm with a small bass emphasis.

Cmon hybrid I'm getting the Dt 880 TOMMOROW! Since they recommend it and I can test your music on it :D you should really consider it <3

Oct 4, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #19,725 of 29,490
i've heard the sig pros and missed the only chance i'll get in a long while to listen to the th-900's, the sig pros are probably one of the best portables you can buy, quite open sounding and good soundstage for a portable. sounded balanced overall to me. the fostex i wouldn't reccomend for portable because they look to be the exact same design as the d7000 which have a very loose seal.

Thanks for that mate, well guess its a beyer vs ultrasone shoot out then, wallet can't complain about that... But I'll probably end up gettin the th-900's somewhere down the line, can't resist that urushi finish, it's a work of art :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back