++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 4, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #19,696 of 29,490
Quote:
So I'm currently looking to upgrade to some new headphones. I currently have the K701, RS2i and the dt1350 along with a Musical Fidelity M1dac and a wa6se.  I'm looking to upgrade the K701 after discovering I prefer the sound of the dt1350, I just wish they were more comfortable for long listening sessions.

Is there an amalgamation of the dt1350 and K701? Is there a headphone that comes close to keeping the bass and mids of the 1350 and the openness and treble of the K701 while toning the harshness down a little. Most important would be the lush mids, bass, openness and then treble. They also have to be more comfortable than the dt1350 for long listening session.

Without hearing them I was considering the a ATH-W1000X, SRH 1840, He-500, LCD-2, HD 700 but I'm open to any others that may fit. 1K is about the max I can afford. 

Don't know your equipment, but the the HE-500 is the best buy of which I know in the over $500 range--if you can push it.  The only thing negative about them is that, being a planar can, they are a bit heavy.

Oct 4, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #19,697 of 29,490
Hello,

Am new to Head-Fi and am seeking for guidance before buying a headphone. I am more interested in a Headphone that is most suitable for
watching HD Movies. I initially thought of buying the Sennheiser RS170 because of its wireless capability and with Suround System emulation capability.

After a friend pointed me to Head-Fi.org and with a little readings, I am now inclined to look at Wired Headphone. Below are my wishlist:

1) Should be able to provide Surround capability
2) Should be able to connect to my WDTV Live Media Player via Optical ( am assuming this will need HeadAmp /DAC)
3) Preferably closed design as opposed to Open

Note: You may suggest any additional device that is needed to meet my objective. THanks 

Oct 4, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #19,699 of 29,490
So I'm currently looking to upgrade to some new headphones. I currently have the K701, RS2i and the dt1350 along with a Musical Fidelity M1dac and a wa6se.  I'm looking to upgrade the K701 after discovering I prefer the sound of the dt1350, I just wish they were more comfortable for long listening sessions.

Is there an amalgamation of the dt1350 and K701? Is there a headphone that comes close to keeping the bass and mids of the 1350 and the openness and treble of the K701 while toning the harshness down a little. Most important would be the lush mids, bass, openness and then treble. They also have to be more comfortable than the dt1350 for long listening session.

Without hearing them I was considering the a ATH-W1000X, SRH 1840, He-500, LCD-2, HD 700 but I'm open to any others that may fit. 1K is about the max I can afford. 

Idk what your budget is but the t1 can be considered a massive upgrade to the dt1350 in many ways.

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #19,700 of 29,490
Hello,

Am new to Head-Fi and am seeking for guidance before buying a headphone. I am more interested in a Headphone that is most suitable for
watching HD Movies. I initially thought of buying the Sennheiser RS170 because of its wireless capability and with Suround System emulation capability.

After a friend pointed me to Head-Fi.org and with a little readings, I am now inclined to look at Wired Headphone. Below are my wishlist:

1) Should be able to provide Surround capability
2) Should be able to connect to my WDTV Live Media Player via Optical ( am assuming this will need HeadAmp /DAC)
3) Preferably closed design as opposed to Open

Note: You may suggest any additional device that is needed to meet my objective. THanks 

Closed cans will not provide the openness or soundstage needed to watch movies well. It all depends on your budget, but I would suggest the AKG q701 for its cavernous soundstage, though it lacks a bit of bass which is not optimal for movies but I think the soundstage more than makes up for it.

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #19,701 of 29,490
Im saving money for a headphone and Id like to have one with (of course) the best SQ below $120. I was thinking of the Sennheiser HD 518, HD 439 and HD 449.
I listen to folk (Leonard Cohen), Phil Collins and classical mostly. Im not too sure what sort of headphone Im looking for, I think Id like to have a most realistic as possible sounding phone.

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #19,702 of 29,490
Im saving money for a headphone and Id like to have one with (of course) the best SQ below $120. I was thinking of the Sennheiser HD 518, HD 439 and HD 449.
I listen to folk (Leonard Cohen), Phil Collins and classical mostly. Im not too sure what sort of headphone Im looking for, I think Id like to have a most realistic as possible sounding phone.

If you listen to folk, I'd think it'd be better to get some grado sr80is.

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #19,703 of 29,490
Need new cans.. closed, comfortable, keeps outside noise out, and lightweight?

I have a pair of HD 280 Pros which I have liked for a long time, but now that my kids got their hand on it they are broke!

Admittedly, they are heavy on my head which is a huge annoyance, and the cord is so long I can't wind it up or hide it. I'd prefer detachable cables, so that I can switch them to shorter lengths if I need to. This isn't a necessity, but it's nice to have.

I use them on the train to and from work, to listen to mostly rock/alternative music, or watch ripped DVDs on my Kindle. Also, I wouldn't mind using them for conference calls so an inline mic/volume control/stop&start music button would be amazingly great.

I found the http://en-de.sennheiser.com/hd-429s to be a good fit here, as they are under $100 (which is what I'd prefer to spend) and meet all my requirements. I'm not sure about the lightness though :)

On a related note... I will be wearing these in cold weather instead of earmuffs, so something durable would be ideal 

Much obliged for any suggestions!

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #19,704 of 29,490
So some bookshelf speakers were recommended to me I think they are the same as desktop loudspeakers I am not sure.  But I realize that almost all of the ones that I find they are also recommending which type of amp to get with them.  So what can Bookshelf Speakers cannot operate off their own power and for the most part most of them require amps?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117405&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=4003003&SID=1enzk9a3pbymv were recommended in another thread and right along with them these amps http://www.houseofdap.com/topping-tp22-t-amp-tk2050-tc2000-tp2050-digital-amplifier.html.  Everywhere else people keep recommending Bookshelf speakers they keep also recommending to get an Amp or telling me to get a Receiver of some sort.

Whats up with all these requirements?

P.S. I am looking to upgrade my Desktop PC audio setup.

Oct 4, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #19,705 of 29,490
Quote:
By older Denons, do you mean D5000 and D7000 or do you mean older?
Thank you for the recommendations. I feel that I might also like the LCD-2. Any opinions on that being comparable to a Pro 900 with more mids and nice treble... all the while retaining emphasized bass? Any and all other recommendations are welcome!

The Pro 990 compares well to the Pro 900 [except it has less impact being that it's open] but I personally want some 990s :3
Quote:
Are you OK with open cans--they leak sound?

Yea they let a good bit of sound in and out, so you really need a quiet place to enjoy them or if ur in a quiet place you need to be alone so ur not ticking other ppl off xD [I got some dt 880s coming in today so I hope I can use em when I'm riding with pplz in der car >.>] 

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #19,706 of 29,490
Quote:
Thank you for your response! I am perfectly fine with considering open cans if they are best-suited for my desires.

I'm not familiar with your sound card and what it can push.  Without regard to that the (very easy to drive) Audio Technica ATH-AD900, AKG Q701, Shure SRH 940 (closed), (very easy to drive) Sony MDR MA-900, Grado RS 2i, Senn HD 598, 600 & 650 and Beyer DT 880 are all good choices scattered across your price range.

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #19,707 of 29,490
Quote:

Can't agree that the Grado is a good choice for folk and classical, although it's great for rock, blues and traditional country.

The (open) HD 518 is a good coice and good all arounder in your price range.  Also good are the open Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and closed KRK KNS 8400.

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #19,708 of 29,490
Quote:
Need new cans.. closed, comfortable, keeps outside noise out, and lightweight?

I have a pair of HD 280 Pros which I have liked for a long time, but now that my kids got their hand on it they are broke!

Admittedly, they are heavy on my head which is a huge annoyance, and the cord is so long I can't wind it up or hide it. I'd prefer detachable cables, so that I can switch them to shorter lengths if I need to. This isn't a necessity, but it's nice to have.

I use them on the train to and from work, to listen to mostly rock/alternative music, or watch ripped DVDs on my Kindle. Also, I wouldn't mind using them for conference calls so an inline mic/volume control/stop&start music button would be amazingly great.

I found the http://en-de.sennheiser.com/hd-429s to be a good fit here, as they are under $100 (which is what I'd prefer to spend) and meet all my requirements. I'm not sure about the lightness though :)

On a related note... I will be wearing these in cold weather instead of earmuffs, so something durable would be ideal 

Much obliged for any suggestions!

KRK KNS-6400

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #19,709 of 29,490
Okay, I've started to question my current choice for headphones. My current choice is to go with the Q701's which I've demoed at a fellow member's house that was driven by an O2 and fed by an NFB 12.1 (DAC mode, FLAC files obviously) and I liked the sound. I'm not a basshead or anything and I felt that it had a good amount of impact.

I listen to Asian pop (sometimes J-Rock but not much), Vocaloid (Miku, IA, Gumi, and Luka specifically), C-Pop (Alan only as of now), New Age (Yiruma, DJ Okawari), Chiptune, and Vocastep (Vocaloid dubstep, and sometimes just dubstep from time to time). Sometimes I listen to Classical (possibly my only favorite orchestral piece is Gustav Holst's "The Planets", Mars being my most favorite piece of that group of pieces). Considering I find the bass on the Q701 already pretty good (maybe a little more wouldn't hurt), I don't need too much more when it comes to bass. I love a large soundstage (I've tried all of the headphones the member Bowei has) so I'd prefer an open headphone. I also like something that's good when it comes to positioning.

I've looked at the Q701, HD650 (used because I can't afford new), HD598, HD558, a T50RP with modifications, the Kenwood KH-K1000, and ATH-A900x (the Kenwood and Audiotechnica might be lacking in soundstage. I haven't read much on them). I have a budget of around $500, $200-$250 I'm spending on a custom O2 and Cirrus Logic DAC combination (which the members in my thread, the Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge like to call Project-H, or Project-Haiburi or Project-Haibunyan. Don't ask), so I have around $250-$300 for headphones.

Any recommendations? (sorry for asking for what's probably a lot)

Oct 4, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #19,710 of 29,490
Quote:
Considering I find the bass on the Q701 already pretty good (maybe a little more wouldn't hurt), I don't need too much more when it comes to bass.

Are you saying you really want more bass than you heard in the Q701? That the Q is absolutely perfect except for the bass?

I've looked at the Q701, HD650 (used because I can't afford new), HD598, HD558, a T50RP with modifications, the Kenwood KH-K1000, and ATH-A900x (the Kenwood and Audiotechnica might be lacking in soundstage. I haven't read much on them).

Of the ones you've heard, what do you like? Dislike?

I'm fond of my new HD 650's, but the [QK]70[12] is enticing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back