++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 1, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #19,621 of 29,490
Is there another ear-bud out there that sounds better than the Yuin PK1? It will be driven by a Fostex HP-P1 and I am interested in strictly ear-buds not iems. Thanks in advance.

Bro I think someone already said to you a few days ago you are on the FULL SIZED HEADPHONE thread. Here is a link for the portable forum. You should just search the model you are looking for and see what you can find. Good luck.
http://www.head-fi.org/f/103/portable-headphones-earphones-and-in-ear-monitors

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #19,622 of 29,490
Quote:
Bumping it up, in case any thoughts...

The Sennheiser HD598 and Audio-Technica M50 aren't in the same league. They are also very, very different in the way they sound. Based upon the fact you said you want a headphone for movies and music, and a lot of different types, the Sennheiser HD598 would be a better choice. If you like a lot of bass though then this isn't for you as the bass is balanced. Also, not that the HD598 is open, which means that it will let sound in (bad isolation) and leak your music out. The HD598 also has a 1/4" plug that has an adapter for 1/8" so that you can use it in typical headphone jacks on computers/ipods/etc. but it is rather bulky, so that could be an issue.

If you need isolation, then look to closed headphones. Something like the Shure SRH840 would be nice as it is balanced but has a little bit of bass emphasis.

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #19,624 of 29,490
Quote:
Oh my bad. Ok well you can also try saving a FEW dollars if you really want the 80ohm from guitar center using coupon rmn12. It should reduce the price 24 dollars plus free shipping. $176
Sorry I couldn't be more help.

No problem at all! Thanks for taking the time to research and reply to me. I decided to go with the 250-Ohm version of the headphones for a bit cheaper with a lot more choices of sellers that is a better match for me. I am every excited for these headphones. First professional pair ever!

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #19,625 of 29,490
No problem at all! Thanks for taking the time to research and reply to me. I decided to go with the 250-Ohm version of the headphones for a bit cheaper with a lot more choices of sellers that is a better match for me. I am every excited for these headphones. First professional pair ever!

The 770 is actually probably the least referencing sounding headphone beyerdynamic makes. The bass is way too boomy and muffles out the rest of the spectrum.

Oct 1, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #19,626 of 29,490
Quote:
The 770 is actually probably the least referencing sounding headphone beyerdynamic makes. The bass is way too boomy and muffles out the rest of the spectrum.

I didn't think that they were that bad. Also, I don't think he stated he wanted a reference headphone. Either way, it seems like this is his first foray into better sounding headphones so these should be a nice treat. This was my first pair and I loved them.

Oct 1, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #19,627 of 29,490
I didn't think that they were that bad. Also, I don't think he stated he wanted a reference headphone. Either way, it seems like this is his first foray into better sounding headphones so these should be a nice treat. This was my first pair and I loved them.

They're really bad IMO, bass is way too boomy unlike the nice textured bass of the 880, 990 and 1350.

Oct 1, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #19,628 of 29,490
Quote:

Yep, my first professional headphones. I am quite excited for them! I am going to team it up with a DGX 5.1 dac/amp.

Oct 1, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #19,629 of 29,490
They're really bad IMO, bass is way too boomy unlike the nice textured bass of the 880, 990 and 1350.

Maybe you got a "bad" pair because i find the bass an improvement over the 990. Of course mine could be different too because they are the fairly rare 770 premium edition.

Oct 1, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #19,630 of 29,490
Maybe you got a "bad" pair because i find the bass an improvement over the 990. Of course mine could be different too because they are the fairly rare 770 premium edition.

The ones I auditioned happen to be the premium edition, they have more bass quantity than other beyers but the bass quality is a one note "boom". Amped from a dark voice 339, there was still no improvement. I also know someone who even wood modded and recabled the 770s and still found them too boomy. Your tastes may differ, but the 770 is just mediocre in my opinion

Oct 1, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #19,631 of 29,490
Quote:
Dear everyone! 
I decided to ask it here. :) I had posted my question about the headphones that I liked, but the member I came across only knew the V-Moda LP2, in which I was interested.

So:

What am I looking for?
A closed headphone with lots of isolation. 

Which genres?
Indie rock, indie folk, audiobooks(!!!! those are so important for me) and a little bit of dubstep

Where do I want to use them?
Everywhere! To give some examples; In the bus, in the train, on the street, in the car, on the bike (BADDIE! Traffic!)

Something else?
I am hoping to find a headphone with a detachable cable. my K272HD died, because the cable broke... :frowning2:

Which headphones do I have in mind?

1. V-Moda LP2
  2. Sennheiser Momentum
  3. AKG K550

If you have any headphone you want to recommend to me, feel free to do so! 

Thanks for your time! :D 

For an update of my situation, these headphones are on my mind right now

1. V-Moda M100
  2. Sennheiser Momentum
  3. Philips Fidelio L1 (Least wanted on the list as of right now)

Any thoughts on how these compare to the AKG K272HD on:

1. Durability
  2. Comfortability
  3. Sound (if these sound like the AKG K272HD or better, but with the same sound. if you get what I mean. I really liked the sound of the AKG K272HD's...)

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #19,632 of 29,490
Quote:
Im a beginner audiophile and currently the only "serious" cans i own are beyerdynamic DT 770 80 ohm + FiiO E11. Just wanted to ask what headphones should i get next for different sound experience, i mean i dont really realize how sound may vary "v-shaped, u-shaped, dark, bright and things like that", it would be much easier for me to understand the sound if i get to experience opposite sound type of my cans. Im looking for 50-170$ headphones. Grados it is?

There's no reason why not.  Get the 80's, Alessandro MS1i (based on Grado) or wait until you have $200 and get the very well regarded 225i.  All are easy to drive and can rock your world.

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #19,634 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi everybody,

thanks for reading this one.

I love listening to
Steely Dan/Donald Fagen,
String Quartets,
Acoustic Jazz Piano Trios,
Remastered Coltrane,
Esperanza Spalding,
a few classical orchestral scores,
incredibly produced pop music.

I don't usually listen to
Rock,
The big bad bass,
anything that only works well when played really loud.

On the go I use various iPods, usually amped by Fiio E6 or E11 and I really like my Jays q-Jays (I have rather small ears and really small ear canals).

I'm looking for a full-size hp to suit my listening needs, which shouldn't cost more than $500. Since I'd not use them on the go, I'm open to any suggestions. I wear glasses and would prefer something really comfortable, a nice, but not forced soundstage would be great, too.

Thanks a ton in advance!

PS: I seem to like those blue Audio-Technica ATH-A700x. But then again, what do I know about cans?
PPS: I read hours and hours of reviews, I really did and appreciated all the knowledge and goodwill around here! I'm simply hoping to find something which suits my (see above) listening needs.

Are open can OK for you--they leak sound?

Oct 2, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #19,635 of 29,490
Thank you for replying, really appreciate it!

Actually I'm looking for open ones for home use and some recommendations for closed, portable ones (no IEMs, I'm fine with my q-Jays, just don't want them in my eras all of the time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back