++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 1, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #19,606 of 29,490
Quote:
Dear everyone! 
I decided to ask it here. :) I had posted my question about the headphones that I liked, but the member I came across only knew the V-Moda LP2, in which I was interested.

So:

What am I looking for?
A closed headphone with lots of isolation. 

Which genres?
Indie rock, indie folk, audiobooks(!!!! those are so important for me) and a little bit of dubstep

Where do I want to use them?
Everywhere! To give some examples; In the bus, in the train, on the street, in the car, on the bike (BADDIE! Traffic!)

Something else?
I am hoping to find a headphone with a detachable cable. my K272HD died, because the cable broke... :frowning2:

Which headphones do I have in mind?

1. V-Moda LP2
  2. Sennheiser Momentum
  3. AKG K550

If you have any headphone you want to recommend to me, feel free to do so! 

Thanks for your time! :D 

Also, what are you doing with the K272HD now? I'd be willing to take it off of your hands 
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 1, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #19,607 of 29,490
I am not doing anything with my K272HD's, but I am still looking for a place where I can mod my headphone, so it can have detachable cables. :p 
So I am not willing to sell it, YET. 

And I forgot to mention with my pointers, I would like an over the ear headphone, not on the ear. :) 

Oct 1, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #19,608 of 29,490
Wow, there's many replies after mine!

I would like to thank you, who helped me so far. What I know (and understand), is that the HD 558 is better than the HD 518. But, if you have a very tight budget with the HD518 being the most expensive you could afford, is there something like the HD518 or better, at that price range? Open is preferred, and it would be amped 90% of the time. 
(I was looking for a headphone for Bob Dylan, Michael Jackson and classical music.) 

Oct 1, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #19,609 of 29,490
Quote:

I used the 32-Ohm DT 990 (Premium) without an amp for more than two years. They don't need one. I really like them with and without.

Whether they're right for you is another matter.

Quote:
We need to know the equipment through which you will be powering these cans and the sound signature you prefer.

I suspect that you have some bad advice about the HE-400, which is a planar--a relatively easy to power planar, but that only goes so far.

Thanks for replies, the He-400 was just a thought based on their ad but again I had my doubts about functionality from an Ipod or my Motorola Droid. As far as sound is concerned I'm enjoying my Winstones (the smooth quality, rolled treble, musical, I usually listen for extended periods of time so fatigue comes in play). 

Oct 1, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #19,610 of 29,490
Quote:
If you want a different sound experience, you are going to want something that is more mid-centric and lighter in the bass (and highs). The DT770 is quite "V" shaped meaning it emphasizes the bass and the treble. You might look into the Sennheiser HD558, the Koss ProDJ100, or some Grados (though it has a ton of treble too). The Fostex T50rp also has a mid-centric sound and for those who like to mod things, they can be made into incredible sounding headphones than compete with others worth several hundred dollars.

Here are a few graphs to give a visual of what I just said:

Thank you very much for ur post!

Oct 1, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #19,611 of 29,490
So I'm looking to expand my headphone collection a little bit more.

I need something that will sound awesome straight out of an iPod as I do most of my listening pottering around the house. They don't have to be portable cans though.

I was looking at spending a max of $200AUD

'Phones I have been considering are:

Ultrasone HFI 580/680/780 (not sure of which sounds best)
Ultrasone Pro 550
Beyerdynamic DT 440
Grado SR80i
Audio Technica ATH-A500X

Any other suggestions would be great!

I listen to mostly rock and dance, so full, accurate bass and strong mids are a must.

Thank-you :D

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #19,613 of 29,490
Hello all,
I am looking to buy a pair of beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 80-Ohm from Online hopefully from a seller in the states. I can't find anything cheaper then $180 that is trust worthy for this headphones. Amazon is 180 and ebay is 170 but seller only has 500 sales.  Can anyone provide some helpful suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance!

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #19,614 of 29,490
Hello all,
I am looking to buy a pair of beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 80-Ohm from Online hopefully from a seller in the states. I can't find anything cheaper then $180 that is trust worthy for this headphones. Amazon is 180 and ebay is 170 but seller only has 500 sales.  Can anyone provide some helpful suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance!

B&H photo. It shows as 200 bucks but when u add it to your cart it drops the price to $165.00

Cant get more trusted than that. I used a pair of phones for two weeks and returned them and got a full refund with them one time.

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #19,615 of 29,490
Hello all- greetings from a complete newbie.
I have been meaning to buy a decent set of around-the-ear headphones for some time now and stumbled upon this forum thanks to Google. Given the insane number of choices, I am very glad to have found this place, where I hope I will find some answers. I have not had a good set of headphones thus far (have been getting by randomly picked inexpensive Sony, Philips etc).
1. I will use them (for the most part) on my iPad to watch movies and listen to music. In terms of my choice of music, I dont know most of the genres that the post above me refer to (I was looking for some inspiration). I dont think I will ever listen to heavy metal type stuff though.
2. I will need them at home when I want to listen without disturbing family members, in flights (travel couple of times a month) etc.
3. I am thinking of a budget of around US$250-300 (can be somewhat flexible)
4. I dont know if I want open or closed headphones- Broadly speaking, I know the difference between the two, but I dont know what I want
5. Would be good if they are easy to carry (given I travel reasonably often)
Until last week was gravitating towards Bose/ Beats, but having spent a bit of time on this forum, I am getting the sense that these are not the names I should be going for. So far, these two look promising. Keen to hear opinions on these and get pointers to other options
- Sennheiser HD 598
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Any help would be much appreciated.

Bumping it up, in case any thoughts...

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #19,616 of 29,490
Hi everybody,

thanks for reading this one.

I love listening to
Steely Dan/Donald Fagen,
String Quartets,
Acoustic Jazz Piano Trios,
Remastered Coltrane,
Esperanza Spalding,
a few classical orchestral scores,
incredibly produced pop music.

I don't usually listen to
Rock,
The big bad bass,
anything that only works well when played really loud.

On the go I use various iPods, usually amped by Fiio E6 or E11 and I really like my Jays q-Jays (I have rather small ears and really small ear canals).

I'm looking for a full-size hp to suit my listening needs, which shouldn't cost more than $500. Since I'd not use them on the go, I'm open to any suggestions. I wear glasses and would prefer something really comfortable, a nice, but not forced soundstage would be great, too.

Thanks a ton in advance!

PS: I seem to like those blue Audio-Technica ATH-A700x. But then again, what do I know about cans?
PPS: I read hours and hours of reviews, I really did and appreciated all the knowledge and goodwill around here! I'm simply hoping to find something which suits my (see above) listening needs.

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #19,617 of 29,490
Hello all- greetings from a complete newbie.
I have been meaning to buy a decent set of around-the-ear headphones for some time now and stumbled upon this forum thanks to Google. Given the insane number of choices, I am very glad to have found this place, where I hope I will find some answers. I have not had a good set of headphones thus far (have been getting by randomly picked inexpensive Sony, Philips etc).
1. I will use them (for the most part) on my iPad to watch movies and listen to music. In terms of my choice of music, I dont know most of the genres that the post above me refer to (I was looking for some inspiration). I dont think I will ever listen to heavy metal type stuff though.
2. I will need them at home when I want to listen without disturbing family members, in flights (travel couple of times a month) etc.
3. I am thinking of a budget of around US$250-300 (can be somewhat flexible)
4. I dont know if I want open or closed headphones- Broadly speaking, I know the difference between the two, but I dont know what I want
5. Would be good if they are easy to carry (given I travel reasonably often)
Until last week was gravitating towards Bose/ Beats, but having spent a bit of time on this forum, I am getting the sense that these are not the names I should be going for. So far, these two look promising. Keen to hear opinions on these and get pointers to other options
- Sennheiser HD 598
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Any help would be much appreciated.

I think that the HD598 is a fine choice or the 558 for a first headphone but they are open and you will be able to hear them in the room so they probably will not work out if you are in a quiet'ish room with your family in terms of disturbing them. .

The ATH-M50 is comfortable but has a really long cord and is not very portable. I don't really listen to mine much anymore because I prefer my Beyerdynamic DT770 and 990 over them.

I don't normally recommend things that I haven't really tried out enough but a lot of guys recommend the Shure 840 for a closed headphone. I personally use the DT770 for a closed phone but I think the isolation on the Shure is better in that regard.

All that being said, i would get something full sized with a long cord above for home use. Then for traveling on airplanes, the best thing that I have settled on are In Ear Monitors (IEM) using Comply Foam Tips.

I have tried a number of "noise cancelling" headphones and the easiest most comfortable thing is the IEM with comply tips. I last used my 20 dollar Sennheiser CX200's on the plane and they are just so light they don't bother me at all.

I did a bunch of testing with different Active Noise Cancelling (ANC) headphones like bose, sennheiser M550, etc. and I settled for the best ANC headphone for the price and ability to handle the noise that most plane engines make were the Able Planet full sized models like the 1100b which can be had for 70 dollars online (see world wide stereo).

The problem with ANC headphones is they tend to block some sounds and let others in. It is a trade off using the IEMs with foam tips because you are just trading one very low volume background sound for another type. In either case they both keep the sound low enough that you don't have to crank up you music/movies too loud to enjoy them.

Didn't mean to write a book but I think you should get 2 sets of headphones for the 2 different uses.

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #19,618 of 29,490
Quote:
B&H photo. It shows as 200 bucks but when u add it to your cart it drops the price to $165.00
Cant get more trusted than that. I used a pair of phones for two weeks and returned them and got a full refund with them one time.

Actually, I was referring to the 80-Ohm version of the DT 770 Pro headphones. Those are 250-Ohm version of the headphones. I will most likely go with the 250-Ohm anyways, because I can't find the 80-Ohm versions anywhere for cheaper and on top of that, the overall sound is suppose to be better with the 250-Ohm anyways.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/92801-REG/Beyerdynamic_459046_DT_770_Pro_Headphone.html

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #19,619 of 29,490
Actually, I was referring to the 80-Ohm version of the DT 770 Pro headphones. Those are 250-Ohm version of the headphones. I will most likely go with the 250-Ohm anyways, because I can't find the 80-Ohm versions anywhere for cheaper and on top of that, the overall sound is suppose to be better with the 250-Ohm anyways.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/92801-REG/Beyerdynamic_459046_DT_770_Pro_Headphone.html

Oh my bad. Ok well you can also try saving a FEW dollars if you really want the 80ohm from guitar center using coupon rmn12. It should reduce the price 24 dollars plus free shipping. $176

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back