++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 28, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #19,456 of 29,490
I do plan to move on to 650s or get my 990s repaired sometime in the future. I'm basically looking for cheap alternatives right now, as well as exploring different flavors. 

Anyone know anything about the Superlux models? Looking at the HD662, looks like it gets compared to the DT770...

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #19,457 of 29,490
Quote:
I do plan to move on to 650s or get my 990s repaired sometime in the future. I'm basically looking for cheap alternatives right now, as well as exploring different flavors. 

Anyone know anything about the Superlux models? Looking at the HD662, looks like it gets compared to the DT770...

I was going to mention looking into the Superlux'es. I don't have experience with them but I can tell you that they are highly regarded around here as cans that perform well above their asking price.

Just curious-- whats wrong with your 990s?

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #19,458 of 29,490
Quote:
Resurrecting a thread from page 1285, hey only 13 pages old.

So, in my search for an over-the-ear closed  non-Bose portable headphone, the recommendations I received;

ATH - etsw9 > those appeared to be way too big to be portable, and I already have ATH-50m, so wanted to consider something new.

Beyerdynamic t50p > I so much wanted these, even if they are on-the-ear, but the double-cable connections looked (to me) to be way too vulnerable,

So, I bought the 

KRK KNS 8400 because I did not want too much bass, the detail is all there and I liked the idea of replace-able cable.

My regrets:
1. It appears that this is a proprietary cable connection, due to the twist-and-lock.  It seems that I am unable to replace the cable with anything other than the KRK cable.  AM I MISTAKEN ?  I want to be.

2.  Just not portable enough, they look to be the same size as my ATH-50m

3.  Heavy headphones.

So, it seems that the Bose AE2 may be the best for me (I want: closed, portable, over-the-ear, not too much bass)  unless someone can save me such a horrible non-enthusiast's fate.

I agree with Doc that the core of your problem is that you are fishing in the wrong pond.  What you want is not a full sized headphone--even a smallish one.  It is highly likely that you will have to accept larger, heavier headphones or give up on your over ear requirement.  With regard to the first option, you have received and aren't happy with the choices.

If you are willing to go to a portable on ear can, take a look at the Senn HD 25-1 II.  Don't remember your budget, but the Senn usually runs just under $200.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #19,459 of 29,490
I get this weird crackling in the left driver at certain bass frequencies through the left driver. Even if I ordered a new driver, not exactly used to messing with wiring, and I think it would require me soldering it in? Not even sure lol. 

I can actually live with this setup for awhile and then save to get them repaired, I'm just a curious, and very impatient person I suppose ;P

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #19,460 of 29,490
Quote:
I get this weird crackling in the left driver at certain bass frequencies through the left driver. Even if I ordered a new driver, not exactly used to messing with wiring, and I think it would require me soldering it in? Not even sure lol. 

I can actually live with this setup for awhile and then save to get them repaired, I'm just a curious, and very impatient person I suppose ;P

Are you sure it isn't a hair stuck in the cover / cup / driver ? That's the most common problem and its an easy fix, although its usually less of a crackling sound and more of a rattle.

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #19,461 of 29,490

You can look up the DT235 if you need something good and inexpensive for now. 40 dollars and I keep getting tempted to buy a pair just because I keep reading different guys say they are a good "under the radar" headphone. They say it is a large "on ear" which is really circumaural if you have smallish ears. Check it out.

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #19,462 of 29,490
Quote:

Are you sure it isn't a hair stuck in the cover / cup / driver ? That's the most common problem and its an easy fix, although its usually less of a crackling sound and more of a rattle.

Cleaning it up helped, but it is still very much present, so I'm guessing there's hair inside the driver workings somehow....or something else? XD

Too bad there aren't any pro audio places nearby, really....guess I can think about sending these things in to beyer x.x

Sep 28, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #19,463 of 29,490
Hi there,

I'm looking to buy some earbuds around $100 but willing to pay a little more if there is a large jump in quality. I'm having trouble choosing as there are so many and everyone has different ears. I will be using them with a Smartphone, I'm not too fussed about volume control, I listen to lots of differnt kinds of music mainly rock, electronic stuff and abit of pop.

I don't really like the feel of earbuds that much so Comfort is important to me

Sep 28, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #19,464 of 29,490
Quote:
Resurrecting a thread from page 1285, hey only 13 pages old.

So, in my search for an over-the-ear closed  non-Bose portable headphone, the recommendations I received;

ATH - etsw9 > those appeared to be way too big to be portable, and I already have ATH-50m, so wanted to consider something new.

Beyerdynamic t50p > I so much wanted these, even if they are on-the-ear, but the double-cable connections looked (to me) to be way too vulnerable,

So, I bought the 

KRK KNS 8400 because I did not want too much bass, the detail is all there and I liked the idea of replace-able cable.

My regrets:
1. It appears that this is a proprietary cable connection, due to the twist-and-lock.  It seems that I am unable to replace the cable with anything other than the KRK cable.  AM I MISTAKEN ?  I want to be.

2.  Just not portable enough, they look to be the same size as my ATH-50m

3.  Heavy headphones.

So, it seems that the Bose AE2 may be the best for me (I want: closed, portable, over-the-ear, not too much bass)  unless someone can save me such a horrible non-enthusiast's fate.

Aviators? Its nice and neutral 

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #19,465 of 29,490
Quote:
I already tried the dt880, too bass light for me. 650 is already on the border of my bass need. I will try the 990 pro 250 later. From review, I got the feeling that I will like it. I will use my Fiio e17 for now. No money to spare and not enough space for more decent amp.

I would think with a nice bass amp they would be pretty nice! Although Mine aren't in yet and I'm paring them with a cMoy, I've also got a Hifiman hm 601 which has that nice warm DAC so I think I'll be happy with them, but yea they aren't really bass head cans... 
Quote:

then might I suggest you switch to head phones <3

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #19,467 of 29,490
Hey there, I'm in need of a recommendation before purchase.

After the bit of time spent reading around here, it seems that the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro (250 Ohm) seems to be the most recommended set of cans for me (although haven't decided on the amp). I based this decision off of my budget and what I'm looking for in my new headphones. I listen to a lot of house, progressive house, trance, electro-house style Electronic Dance Music (EDM), but I still like my bass to have a nice "umph" without being too overwhelming. I'd be using the headphones 99% of the time at home, so I'm not worried about sound leaking in/out as I close my door anyway, and am not looking for a portable amp (unless they perform better than a standalone). I also had to factor in budget as well, and I didn't want to spend too much; mostly in the range of $250-300 area with headphones & amp included. After further research, I've come across the conclusion that I'll probably need to look into investing in a sound card also as my current one (Creative Audigy ZS 2) isn't what I thought it to be.

I've never had a real set of 'audiophile' worthy headphones, only typical gamer headsets such as the Logitech G35 which doesn't perform exactly to my expectations. I'm really hoping I'll be able to find what I'm looking for without losing too much. I know with my budget I'll be sacrificing some of the sound, but that's expected.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed a little light on my situation!

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #19,468 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi there,

I'm looking to buy some earbuds around $100 but willing to pay a little more if there is a large jump in quality. I'm having trouble choosing as there are so many and everyone has different ears. I will be using them with a Smartphone, I'm not too fussed about volume control, I listen to lots of differnt kinds of music mainly rock, electronic stuff and abit of pop.

This is recommendation thread is for full-sized headphones; there's a separate Head-Fi forum area for IEMs and other portables. You might check this thread in that forum area to get you started: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-254-iems-compared-philips-oneill-tread-klipsch-s3-added-09-19-12

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #19,469 of 29,490
Quote:

After the bit of time spent reading around here, it seems that the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro (250 Ohm) seems to be the most recommended set of cans for me (although haven't decided on the amp). I based this decision off of my budget and what I'm looking for in my new headphones. I listen to a lot of house, progressive house, trance, electro-house style Electronic Dance Music (EDM), but I still like my bass to have a nice "umph" without being too overwhelming. I'd be using the headphones 99% of the time at home, so I'm not worried about sound leaking in/out as I close my door anyway, and am not looking for a portable amp (unless they perform better than a standalone). I also had to factor in budget as well, and I didn't want to spend too much; mostly in the range of $250-300 area with headphones & amp included. After further research, I've come across the conclusion that I'll probably need to look into investing in a sound card also as my current one (Creative Audigy ZS 2) isn't what I thought it to be.

I've never had a real set of 'audiophile' worthy headphones, only typical gamer headsets such as the Logitech G35 which doesn't perform exactly to my expectations. I'm really hoping I'll be able to find what I'm looking for without losing too much. I know with my budget I'll be sacrificing some of the sound, but that's expected.

You could try an E11 for an amp it's around 50, also if your have Windows XP, look into a piece of software called SRS Audio Sand Box [the older version] I loved it when I could use it! 

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #19,470 of 29,490

After further research, I've come across the conclusion that I'll probably need to look into investing in a sound card also as my current one (Creative Audigy ZS 2) isn't what I thought it to be.

You could try an E11 for an amp it's around 50, also if your have Windows XP, look into a piece of software called SRS Audio Sand Box [the older version] I loved it when I could use it! 

Hi the dt990 is great but why not consider the dt770? I would imagine you would want more "impact" from the bass with your kind of music. Well i think in either case you will not be disappointed. I digress.....

If you are using these at home there is no need to get a portable amp like the e11. It would be a hasstle to make sure the battery is always charged. It also only puts out a max of 45mw to a headphone that can be run upto 100mw. Dont get me wrong i run my 250 ohm headphones just fine on an e11 but again you should get a nice dac/amp combo to get the most out of your cans.

This one is highly recommended for the price
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIRE-PHOENIX-DAC-02-CS4398-LM4562-MINI-USB-DAC-Headphone-Amplifier-/180738679826?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item2a14dd6412

It will be like a "sound card" plus headphone amp in one. You can connect it via usb but the preferred method is via optical cable.

The 770/990 can be had for 200ish on amazon plus the above dac/amp 100 = within ur budget of $300 max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back