++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 25, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #19,306 of 29,490
Quote:
ok so the set up I am looking for is this. I am looking for very good quality headphones but unfortunately i have not had the chance to really test any out for myself which is why i am searching these forums for good suggestions (if anyone knows of any audiophile meets in the NY/NJ area please let me know). i listen to ALL genres but i would like a great sounding headphone with good sound-stage. Now my problem is that i am not yet ready to pay for a amp or DAC because they cost so much money and i would really like to have good headphones so i can judge what to buy and make an informed decision before spending so much money flat out. So i want something that i can drive with my IPhone for a couple months and then upgrade the sound by buying an amp later. This has lead me to look at the Hifi HE - 400 and the AKG Q701. Apparently both headphones have great sound-stage except that i have heard that the HE - 400 is a lot easier to drive. If anyone can recommend any other headphones in that price range i would appreciate it (less than $450). Now this solves my issue of having amazing sounding headphones that i can listen to at home but since both these options are open back headphones i still need a solution to taking music out on the go. If anyone can maybe recommend an in ear design headphone that is not too expensive that would be amazing. Or to be honest it does not have to be in ear, i just need something cheap and portable to combo well with what i have at home. Also i was looking at maybe buying V-modas to fix this issue, does anyone know if these headphones are even worth looking at if i will be buying something like the HE-400 anyways? Thanks in advance for any comments, or suggestions.

The first thing you should do is to buy this portable amp that will drive most any can (currently at half price) for $49.00:

http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/headroom-total-airhead.php

You also will probably need an adapter for you your iPhone, which should cost about $10.

After that we need to hear more from you about you the sound signature you prefer before recommending a can or two.

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #19,307 of 29,490
Looking for $250-

I listen to Punk Rock (Sum 41), Rock (Rise Against), Hardcore (As Blood Runs Black), and Bass Heavy Hype Rap (Who Gon’ Stop Me)

I need them to be:
-Comfy
-Have nice Bass (better than Beats?)
-best quality sound for price

What I’d like on them:
-Bluetooth wireless (with a long battery life)

Also, I would like to hear some commentary on my previous headphones (Seinnheiser mm400) and Beats headphones.

Lastly, I don’t care too much for looks,

Thanks in advanced!

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #19,308 of 29,490
Got a chance to pick up a used pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros (250 ohm) for $80 on a craigslist deal.  Already have the Custom One Pros but am looking for an excuse to spend more money.  So yay or nay? And would a E11 be enough to drive them properly? Thanks fellas

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #19,309 of 29,490
Quote:
Got a chance to pick up a used pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros (250 ohm) for $80 on a craigslist deal.  Already have the Custom One Pros but am looking for an excuse to spend more money.  So yay or nay? And would a E11 be enough to drive them properly? Thanks fellas

The Fiio E11 would drive them at least decently.

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #19,310 of 29,490

Yes and yes. Good price if they are in decent shape. I use my 250 ohm 770 premium with the e11 just fine.

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #19,313 of 29,490
I would first try what you have and if you are not happy, look here

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-8-1-amps-compared

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-11-8-amps-compared

Maybe one of the otherguys can recommend a desktop. I just use the e10 on my desk. Good luck.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #19,315 of 29,490
Sep 25, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #19,316 of 29,490
I need some quick opinions on  this one, 

I'm getting the DT 880 Pro 250 ohm, I'm using a HifiMan HM 601 (8g)  Should I go E11 or E17, in terms of battery life soundquality and overall power to drive the Head phones... [also does the E17 have an "amp" only function...] 

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #19,317 of 29,490
Quote:
I need some quick opinions on  this one, 

I'm getting the DT 880 Pro 250 ohm, I'm using a HifiMan HM 601 (8g)  Should I go E11 or E17, in terms of battery life soundquality and overall power to drive the Head phones... [also does the E17 have an "amp" only function...] 

The E17 does have an amp only section but if you don't need the builtin DAC I would go with the E11 since it has a bit more power.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #19,318 of 29,490
Sorry for taking a while to post this, been busy..

Any rate if anyone had any interest in what headphones I decided to go with my decision is to wait a bit longer. I am busy now and can't really get to the store to test out a pair of headphones. I am still primarily looking at the Shure SRH 840 but since one of the main complaints with them seemed to be comfort I want to be able to try them on myself. It didn't make sense to order them from Guitar Center and possibly have to pay for return shipping when I can just drive up in a few weeks and test them out myself.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #19,319 of 29,490
Looking for $250-

I listen to Punk Rock (Sum 41), Rock (Rise Against), Hardcore (As Blood Runs Black), and Bass Heavy Hype Rap (Who Gon’ Stop Me)

I need them to be:
-Comfy
-Have nice Bass (better than Beats?)
-best quality sound for price

Also, I would like to hear some commentary on my previous headphones (Seinnheiser mm400).

Lastly, I don’t care too much for looks,

Thanks in advanced!

Sep 25, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #19,320 of 29,490
Quote:

The E17 does have an amp only section but if you don't need the builtin DAC I would go with the E11 since it has a bit more power.

Thanks! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back