++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 24, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #19,276 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey fellas I need a little help. I am looking to spend around $100 on a pair of closed head phones with a strait cord (not coiled). Pretty much what I am looking for is something on par with the beats by Dre headphones as far as bass, clarity, and blocking out sound (forgot the term for this) are concerned. I am looking to spend around $100, so the best headphones in that price range would be good.
My main purpose for using these would be to wear them at gym.
Here is what I have been looking at so far:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZG9TMA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1DK42KQ8H1842QQN1NGR&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846
&
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH550DJ-Professional-Quality-Headphones/dp/B004MBQF84/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348366183&sr=1-1&keywords=Shure+SRH550DJ

I've heard the Superlux HD661 have a good sound, come with a 1 meter and 3 meter cable and sell for around $50.
But I do not know a lot of details on them.

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #19,277 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks, so no problems with the build quality. :) Now, passed the euphoria moment, I'm really wondering if they really sound that good (I mean, they are 25$). Could you compare their sound to other same price range phones? Here someone say they are similar to the HARX700 and HTF600-S.

I had the HTF600 and those are another one of the gems in the budget range. They are total basshead cans though, more more than the bassy monoprice 8323. They need burn-in and I highly recommend the paper towel mod to increase overall clarity. They can sound really nice and will have a massive low end.

Overall the sound signature of the two headphones is similar; Emphasized bass, slightly recessed mids, flat treble with an early roll-off. HTF600 has a bigger soundstage and more bass. Monos have more controlled bass and better mids.

However, there are two things to take note of: build quality and isolation/leakage. These are pretty light and flimsy. This makes them more comfortable, but also greatly decreases their durability. They aren't known to be too good at sustaining long-term usage. Also, while listed as closed, there are vents on the back of the cups which make these more like semi-open cans. They are not too good at isolation and they leak quite a bit of sound, so once again if you need a true closed can, this is not it.

Again, have not heard the JVC

Sep 24, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #19,278 of 29,490
Quote:
He-400 or Mad dogs? 

If i get the mad dogs, i'm most likely gonna get the O2 + ODAC

If i get the HE-400, i'll probably use the e17. 

Whatever adds up to a total of $600 i'll be getting.

I listen to Radiohead (all of their stuff, from the early 90's to now), as well as a bit of EDM.

I strongly reomend the MD with Dragon Fly. it's still under $600. 
Please search on Mad Dog and Dragon Fly thread for my impression.

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #19,279 of 29,490
Quote:
Alrighty, so it seems that my Beyerdynamics are screwed, so I'm looking for a new headphone.

What I want them for:

- Music (Rap/Hip-Hop/Progressive Metal)
- Gaming (All types of games)
- TV Shows/Movies
- Talking on mumble/voIP programs

I have an ASUS Essence Xonar STX sound card.

Budget under $300.00 AUD

Can anybody suggest? :D!

Which Beyer do you have and what is wrong with them?

As has been mentioned, the DT990 would be great for your genres and for gaming and movies, if you're ok with an open-back headphone. If not, the DT770 might be an option as well.

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #19,280 of 29,490
I recently purchased a set of Audio Technica M50 headphones based on user feedback. The sound quality on these cans are superb. However, I do daily train commutes and these seem a little too bulky to walk around and commute in. Are there any recommended alternatives to these headphones that sound just as great, but are more compact and portable? Maybe something also suitable for plane travel? The Solo Beats seem to fit the bill, but I know these are frowned upon as there are cheaper and better alternatives.

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #19,281 of 29,490
I'm about to purchase a pair of over the ear open headphones for movie watching/gaming (ps3/xbox) and some music.

I was looking at the Sen HD598, ATH AD700 or a pair of grados.  Does anybody have any experience with any of these for movie watching?

I looking to spend around $300, less would be better.

Thanks

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #19,282 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm about to purchase a pair of over the ear open headphones for movie watching/gaming (ps3/xbox) and some music.

I was looking at the Sen HD598, ATH AD700 or a pair of grados.  Does anybody have any experience with any of these for movie watching?

Thanks

While the Grados are open they don't have a wide soundstage like typical open headphones do so they really aren't very good for gaming and movies. The other two are pretty good and are popular for games/movies. The AD700 is probably the best for gaming because its said to have a really wide soundstage but the HD598 would be better for music.

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #19,283 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks

HD598 is a great choice for movies, gaming and music. It has a sound signature that is very appealing to most people unless you really like bass.

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #19,284 of 29,490
Hey fellas I need a little help. I am looking to spend around $100 on a pair of closed head phones with a strait cord (not coiled). Pretty much what I am looking for is something on par with the beats by Dre headphones as far as bass, clarity, and blocking out sound (forgot the term for this) are concerned. I am looking to spend around $100, so the best headphones in that price range would be good.

My main purpose for using these would be to wear them at gym.

Hey buddy if u want to use them at the gym i think u are better off with a more portable lighter weight headphone. Although this is a FULL SIZED thread i would recommend the following that will sound as good and mostly BETTER than beats for your 100 bucks or close to it.

Sennheiser hd25 for 129 bucks:
http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_15120/Sennheiser-HD25SP-II-Professional-DJ-Headphones-with-Noise-Reduction.html

Beyerdynamic dt 235 for 40 bucks
http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-DT-235-Headphone-White/dp/B001BAKTFO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348510562&sr=1-2&keywords=beyerdynamic+dt235

Jvc ha s500 75 bucks (from japan only via amazon)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B008FWB9TQ/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Sennheiser bt360 refurbished for 50 bucks
http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_15429/Sennheiser-PX-360-Around-The-Ear-Collapsible-MP3-iPod-Wired-Headphones-Refurbished-.html

Choices number 2 and 4 will cover ur ears if u dont have big ears (like me
:ear::ear:)

I think any of the above should suit your needs but the jvc and the hd25 will prolly have the bass quantity u need.

Otherwise i would really recommend looking at in ear headphones like the jvc fx40 and the cx200 by sennheiser which can both be had for 20 bucks and will have more than ample bass for ur taste i think. Go to the portable/iem forum and look around there i think.

(Ps i have purchased refurbs from vm in the past and they were as good as new. Legit seller)

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #19,286 of 29,490
Can't seem to make a decision on this one..

With the DT990's (prem) recessed mids I'm worried about being strained to hear lyrics in some EBM recordings.

Not quite the best example, but you get the idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67BnviTCBlc

This is pushing me towards the DT880's (prem) but I've never had a neutral set of headphones (pretty sure my K240's aren't neutral..) and would prefer something "lively"

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #19,287 of 29,490
Can't seem to make a decision on this one..

With the DT990's (prem) recessed mids I'm worried about being strained to hear lyrics in some EBM recordings.

Not quite the best example, but you get the idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67BnviTCBlc

This is pushing me towards the DT880's (prem) but I've never had a neutral set of headphones (pretty sure my K240's aren't neutral..) and would prefer something "lively"

Not seeing these "recessed mids" people talk about. Infact very similar to 880 in that dept.

Just because a 'phone has forward highs does not automatically make the mids "recessed".

You will have NO probs hearing lyrics. I swear by my 990 premiums. Only pick the 880 if u want less bass imo.

9b326fee7b34537d6bfeededf7faed0e.jpg

If anything the 990 has more forward mids per the graph barring that one small dip. Anyway....

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #19,288 of 29,490
Thanks Doc,

I don't know why I didn't just look for that graph in the first place.. It answers everything I was looking for.. sorry.

Compared it to my K240's just for a reference and I'll definitely be going with the 990's.

Sep 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #19,290 of 29,490
Hi !

First , sorry from my "Great" English :)

My brother has decided he wants a new sets of headphones . He also wants to buy me a new sets of headphones to my birthday . Lucky me :) I have made some research and have a few options:

I think to get my brother Reloop RHP10 . My brother doesn't need some fancy sennheiser headphones. The problem is , I don't know nothing about this company. In fact I know them only for a few months. Should I get the reloop model or it's better for me to find other model in the same price level ? ( More than 100$ in Israel ). The relevNt music is 98% pop

Now , about the options are relevant for me:
Since 95% of my playlist includes Metal music ( All kind of metal ) , I need to make sure the headphones I 'll get , will be optimal for Metal . The rest 5% includes Jazz , Blues , instrumental music.

1.Sennhieser HD515 - My brother budget should be enough for this model . As much as I know I'll get the most of them only with an Amp ( I know there is a specific forum for Amps but I'll be glad to get some advise regarding a good mid-rNge cost amp). I also searched about amps and found the Fiio E5 in 22$ . I don't want something too big since I 'm going to use the headphones all the time , including outside) .
Gardo SR80 - Heard great things about the sound but also bad things regarding the comfort . My first series headphones were AKG K416P . They were great but the comfort ... Since , I replaced them with Koss Porta Pro , which are great when you're looking for comfort. The sound is good for the headphones value. As much as I know the Gardo are great for metal .

One last thing please : Bass is very important to me , so it will be great to get some advise regarding headphones with dominant bass.

Thank you !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back