++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 20, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #19,141 of 29,490
Quote:
Not really a recommendation question, but I just ordered DT770 Premium 250ohms from a guy for 180 bucks shipped. Only did it right now because I felt I was getting a steal. Can anyone else make me feel better and tell me I had to do it because the price was so low? They are in "excellent" condition with no case.
Sorry to be off topic but I figure enough DT770 premium owners look here to answer me. Thanx.

Hm. Yeah I guess that's decent since they are discontinued and hard to find but you can get the DT770 Pro 250 ohm brand new for $190 and sometimes lower. For example:

http://altomusic.com/shop/Beyerdynamic-DT770-Pro-250-Ohms-Headphones_pid105727.am

But don't feel bad, the 770 Premium is a great headphone IMO and worth that price. Just enjoy them and don't look back.

EDIT: Even lower on the 770 Pro 250 ohm ($165):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/92801-REG/Beyerdynamic_DT_770_PRO_250_DT_770_Pro_Studio.html

FYI, the 770 Premium is discontinued and hard to find. The 770 Pro is still in production and easy to find for pretty cheap. The only difference is the different appearance and slightly tighter clamping force of the Pro. Oh and the Pro has a coiled cable.

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #19,142 of 29,490
FYI, the 770 Premium is discontinued and hard to find. The 770 Pro is still in production and easy to find for pretty cheap. The only difference is the different appearance and slightly tighter clamping force of the Pro.

Clamping force, comfort, and someone I trust said he thought they had better sound qualities are all the main reason I went for the premiums. Ok thanks.

If anyone else can ease my pain by telling me I "had to do it" at that price.. it will help :wink:

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #19,143 of 29,490
Quote:
Not really a recommendation question, but I just ordered DT770 Premium 250ohms from a guy for 180 bucks shipped. Only did it right now because I felt I was getting a steal. Can anyone else make me feel better and tell me I had to do it because the price was so low? They are in "excellent" condition with no case.
Sorry to be off topic but I figure enough DT770 premium owners look here to answer me. Thanx.

i hope you really like bass, cause 770's were WAYYYY too boomy for me. the bass really undermines the midrange and makes listening pretty fatiguing. i took them off after 30 seconds of listening. the system i used wasn't bad either, it was a darkvoice 337 which is pretty much hi-fi to me.

Sep 20, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #19,144 of 29,490
Quote:
Clamping force, comfort, and someone I trust said he thought they had better sound qualities are all the main reason I went for the premiums. Ok thanks.
If anyone else can ease my pain by telling me I "had to do it" at that price.. it will help :wink:

They are both *extremely* comfortable. The differences in sound quality will be due to manufacturing variances only, aside from the slightly stronger bass on the Pro thanks to its slightly tighter clamping force. Other than that they are identical in sound quality. Don't worry, you got a decent price and you'll like the 'phones.

Quote:
i hope you really like bass, cause 770's were WAYYYY too boomy for me. the bass really undermines the midrange and makes listening pretty fatiguing. i took them off after 30 seconds of listening. the system i used wasn't bad either, it was a darkvoice 337 which is pretty much hi-fi to me.

I'm assuming he already knows about the 770's sound signature. I can definitely see why some people consider them too boomy but I love the 770s for genres like electronic. They're the only headphones I've tried to date that don't have rolled off sub-bass. Its all just personal preference. IMO the strength of the 770 is its sub-bass and that makes it one of the best cans out there for electronic / dubstep etc.

Sep 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #19,145 of 29,490
By any chance does anyone own either Astro A30 or A40 and by chance also own Audio Technica ATH-M50 I am stuck on whether to purchase a Gaming Headset (fearing that it will fall short when listening to music and watching movies) or to get Audio Technica ATH-50 for music (fearing it will fall short when watching movies and while playing games)

In short it was recommended that I step into the realm of true audio and walk away from what I think I knew about sound I currently have a low end "Cyber Acoustic Headset" I started a Sound Engineering Course and was considering getting a decent set of Headphones so now I am torn between getting a decent Gaming Headset or Decent Headphones. 

The specs on the Astro A40 are overall better than the ATH-M50 but from a thread I started about specs I was warned that I cannot follow the specs of the stated on the device and I saw this thread and thus I am here now.

Sep 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #19,146 of 29,490
Quote:
By any chance does anyone own either Astro A30 or A40 and by chance also own Audio Technica ATH-M50 I am stuck on whether to purchase a Gaming Headset (fearing that it will fall short when listening to music and watching movies) or to get Audio Technica ATH-50 for music (fearing it will fall short when watching movies and while playing games)

In short it was recommended that I step into the realm of true audio and walk away from what I think I knew about sound I currently have a low end "Cyber Acoustic Headset" I started a Sound Engineering Course and was considering getting a decent set of Headphones so now I am torn between getting a decent Gaming Headset or Decent Headphones. 

The specs on the Astro A40 are overall better than the ATH-M50 but from a thread I started about specs I was warned that I cannot follow the specs of the stated on the device and I saw this thread and thus I am here now.

Forget about specs.

Forget about headsets.

Get a good headphone from a real headphone manufacturer (the ATH-M50 is pretty good) and add a clip-on microphone like the Zalman Zm-Mic1:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029MTMQ

or a modular mic like the AntLion:

http://www.modmic.com/

Sep 20, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #19,147 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm happy with the amount of bass from my AKG K240 MKII's but looking for something that'll benefit a little more from amping in the future.. and maybe a little more mid-range as well.

I'm stuck between the DT880 and DT990 (both would be premium, and both would be 250/600ohm)

I'm afraid the 880's may have less bass response than my K240's seeing as they're so linear, but the 990's might be lacking too much in the mid-range.

Also, how is the "open-ness" of the 880? I don't care about sound leakage or isolation.. I just like how my K240's don't fatigue my ears after a short period of time.

I listen to EBM, death metal, and goth.. but I'm mainly looking for a comparison of these vs the K240's as I'm happy with them for the type of music I listen to.. just looking for something a little more.

The 880 is a former flagship and a world class can in what is now called [puts on tin helmut] mid-fi.  I can't think of any whay that it's not better than the K 240--from sound quality to build quality to comfort.

The 990 has a "V' shaped EQ that appeals mostly to basshead lights.

Sep 20, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #19,148 of 29,490
Quote:

specs are meaningless imo, the only useful one is impedance. go to an audio shop and just audition everything.

Sep 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #19,149 of 29,490
What is a recommended retailer of the Shure SRH840? Amazon has them ,but it is sold through someone else and apparnetly they are not an 'authorized retailer' of Shure headphones, which makes it so you don't get the 2 year manufactorer warranty. Anyone have any recommended places to pick them up? I may just grab them directly from Shure, but wanted to see if anyone had any opinions one way or the other.

Sep 20, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #19,150 of 29,490
Quote:

I'm assuming he already knows about the 770's sound signature. I can definitely see why some people consider them too boomy but I love the 770s for genres like electronic. They're the only headphones I've tried to date that don't have rolled off sub-bass. Its all just personal preference. IMO the strength of the 770 is its sub-bass and that makes it one of the best cans out there for electronic / dubstep etc.

The problem with the bass on the 770 for me was the fact that it made the mids so recessed that listening to music was almost straining. Also, the bass just didn't have the quality for me that was present in the 880. I like a moderate amount of bass but when the emphasis on bass compromises the entire spectrum, I really cannot stand that.

Sep 20, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #19,151 of 29,490
Quote:
What is a recommended retailer of the Shure SRH840? Amazon has them ,but it is sold through someone else and apparnetly they are not an 'authorized retailer' of Shure headphones, which makes it so you don't get the 2 year manufactorer warranty. Anyone have any recommended places to pick them up? I may just grab them directly from Shure, but wanted to see if anyone had any opinions one way or the other.

If in the U.S. buy from someone on this authorized dealers list:

http://www.shure.com/americas/where-to-buy/sales-reps

Sep 20, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #19,153 of 29,490
Quote:

Forget about specs.

Forget about headsets.

Get a good headphone from a real headphone manufacturer (the ATH-M50 is pretty good) and add a clip-on microphone like the Zalman Zm-Mic1:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029MTMQ

or a modular mic like the AntLion:

http://www.modmic.com/

I was told that I should avoid ATH-M50 for gaming because it has little to no sound stage. That is why I was hoping to find someone who owns both.

Quote:

specs are meaningless imo, the only useful one is impedance. go to an audio shop and just audition everything.

I live in Jamaica so that is not really an option.

Sep 20, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #19,154 of 29,490
Quote:
If in the U.S. buy from someone on this authorized dealers list:

http://www.shure.com/americas/where-to-buy/sales-reps

It seems that this has a list of sale representatives (one per state, based on a small sample), not of retailers.  Am I confused?

Sep 20, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #19,155 of 29,490
Quote:
I was told that I should avoid ATH-M50 for gaming because it has little to no sound stage. That is why I was hoping to find someone who owns both.

This is true. The M50 is not the headphones for you if you want games. Check out the gaming thread as that will give you some good ideas. It has some headsets and many other headphones which you can always buy the add-on mic for. You can get some good ideas from that thread and then always ask more questions in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back