++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 18, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #19,111 of 29,490
Quote:

Any good suggestions for my future amp? 
o2smile.gif

I don't know what your budget is, but I've heard good things about the JDS Labs CMOY

Sep 18, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #19,112 of 29,490
Quote:

HD25's naturally. But K181Dj are better headphones I believe, at least technically. Also, consider the M-Audio Q40, which is wonderful.

As for K267, I doubt it will be anything less than great, since most headphones that AKG released lately (K540 and K550 mainly) are pretty excellent.

Well, the last thing I want is a step down in audio quality. I guess I'll just have to wait for the K267 and see how they are. Thanks!

Edit: Let me put it this way: Since my AKG K181 DJ broke down out of warranty I am looking for a new pair. I would like them to be a step up from K181, to be fun sounding and not too analytical (I want them to be forgiving, like the K181's were). These headphones combined with AKG Q701's that I am also getting should be a 'complete package'.

Sep 18, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #19,113 of 29,490
Alright, thanks KG Jag. Will try to get an amp in a month or so. For me now, its either Shure SRH840 or Sony MDR-V900HD. Thanks! 

Any good suggestions for my future amp? :o2smile:

Cheers Mate!

Look into FiiO amps. They are inexpensive so you can see what kind of difference an amp makes without breaking your wallet.

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #19,114 of 29,490
After asking for closed circumaural headphones for myself and having tried out a few, I can now attest that the compromise for me has been found:

Beyerdynamic T70 + bent headband + Beyer gel pads (for DT770) installed. Enough bass, accurate, very precise, decent wearing comfort, good isolation and tolerable price.

Downsides: sweaty during the summer (gel pads), on the bright/harsh side for me (Beyer T-series house sound, imho) and not very musical/easy to listen to for long periods at a time (benchmark: LCD-2).

But for 500€ (incl extra pads), they are 'good enough' for me. YMMV.

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #19,115 of 29,490
I've recently been given a grant by Uni and am looking into investing it into a nice headphone setup. So far I've bought a Dacmagic Plus using part f the budget, leaving £600/700 to invest in an amp and new set of cans. I'm looking for something to play mainly rock and folk, though dabble in electro and classical music. I'm considering a set of Grado SR325's as I'm a fan of the "Grado sound". Quite like orthodynamic headphones too, so am curious about the Hifiman HE-400. 

Not too sure about amps, though wouldn't be to adverse to building one from a kit if I can get better bang for my buck. 

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #19,116 of 29,490
Hey all,

I'm looking to upgrade from my Sony XB500's that are currently running straight from my motherboard's onboard sound card. I've tried to do a lot of research on this forum to find the right solution for me without having to post a, most likely, redundant thread topic, but I haven't been able to find all of the answers I'm looking for. Thank you for any advice you're able to give.

I'll start with what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a total package price tag of under $250, preferably a bit lower (under $200). I play all sorts of games, ranging from RTS, MMOs, and FPS. I do play CS:GO (which is a FPS) competitively. I'm looking mostly for something that will be good for competitive FPS games on PC. I also spend a good amount of time listening to music on my PC through headphones, my main genre's are reggae and acoustic folk/indie with some rock, rap, and whatever else. That being said I would like headphones that can provide a deeper/warmer sound than the Ety hf3 IEM's that I just bought. I can appreciate the clarity and accuracy of the Ety's, but I prefer something with more powerful lows to really accentuate the dancing bass lines in reggae music.

I did read Mad Lust Envy's headphone gaming guide, and about a week ago was the first time I had heard of Dolby Headphone. I was thinking of picking up this card to throw in my system. I was leaning towards Audio-Technica AD700s, however I was turned off by his negative comments regarding the bass. I was also considering the M50's, but the low "competitive" score and cited poor performance with Dolby Headphone also has made me hesitate. Also I was wondering if an amp is necessary for better performance from the headphones.

Thanks again for your help!

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #19,117 of 29,490
I need portable headphones. For just general use, under 100 bucks I have been contemplating getting ultrasone hfi 580/DJ1, or the sony mdr7510/zx700. Is there anything better for thw price? (no m50s)

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #19,118 of 29,490
Quote:
I need portable headphones. For just general use, under 100 bucks I have been contemplating getting ultrasone hfi 580/DJ1, or the sony mdr7510/zx700. Is there anything better for thw price? (no m50s)

What type of music will you be listening to and what will you be playing it with?
What appeals to you about the Ultrasones and Sonys and what don't you like about the M50?

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #19,119 of 29,490
Quote:

Those are cans with some very different sound signatures.  What is the sound signature that you prefer?

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #19,120 of 29,490
Quote:

Hello, I need recommendation for my next headphone!

Who am I?
Final year engineering student. I am aiming for a first class in my degree, and i need music to study efficiently. So, a geek like me need a headphone as below:

What is your budget?
$150-$220

Are you OK with open cans?
No, I really don't want to disturb the person next to me in the library.. 

What equipment will be powering these cans?
Macbook & My Samsung Omnia 7 (yes, it's a windows phone!) 
beyersmile.png

What format of your music and other sounds will you be putting into these cans?
I listen to anything BUT orchestra, jazz and classics. I enjoy most of the top ten songs in billboard hot 100.

Do you plan to use them outside of your home?
Yes! Everywhere i go: grocery shopping, on the way to lecture, in town

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
I have Sennheiser hd212 Pro and Beats Solo and Studio. I am quite tired of a bassy and muddy headphones. I really want a headphone which can give me good clarity, but with a recognizable bass (but not too much bass like in Beats Studio)

To be honest, my favorite one so far is B&W P%, but its too outrageously expensive. 
frown.gif

Other Specifications:
1. Over Ear & Very Comfortable (Most important!)
3. Good Design & Durable
4. No need for battery

Did my research, and so far I am inclined to Bose AE2 since it's the most comfortable one (from my research). I have not tried it though. But there are ALOT of people going against it. 
confused_face_2.gif

Please help me for my headphone search, and need to ensure that this hard earned cash of mine is well spent. Thanks! :) 
I'll say this once again on these boards, comfort is a very (very, very) individual thing.  About the best we can do here is to point to cans that most people find to be comfortable.  Your mileage may vary--sometimes greatly.  There is no substitute for putting thme on your own head and leaving them there for the length of your longer listening sessions.

Rerun #2:  not having an amp greatly limits your choices in this price range--especiallly for closed cans.

Recommendation: Shure SRH 840.

Hello again KG Jag,

what do you think of Sennheiser HD25 SP-II? Its pretty light with reported 115g, :xf_eek:

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_dj-headphones_502103

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #19,121 of 29,490
Quote:
Those are cans with some very different sound signatures.  What is the sound signature that you prefer?

well extended bass, detailed highs with a touch of brightness, and hopefully a not-too-recessed mid-range, like a closed DT990, I guess.

@hipster2010 I mostly listen to classic rock, Prog rock, alternative, grunge, hip hop, and rap, and I always try new music.

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #19,123 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Hello, I need recommendation for my next headphone!

Who am I?
Final year engineering student. I am aiming for a first class in my degree, and i need music to study efficiently. So, a geek like me need a headphone as below:

What is your budget?
$150-$220

Are you OK with open cans?
No, I really don't want to disturb the person next to me in the library.. 

What equipment will be powering these cans?
Macbook & My Samsung Omnia 7 (yes, it's a windows phone!) 
beyersmile.png

What format of your music and other sounds will you be putting into these cans?
I listen to anything BUT orchestra, jazz and classics. I enjoy most of the top ten songs in billboard hot 100.

Do you plan to use them outside of your home?
Yes! Everywhere i go: grocery shopping, on the way to lecture, in town

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
I have Sennheiser hd212 Pro and Beats Solo and Studio. I am quite tired of a bassy and muddy headphones. I really want a headphone which can give me good clarity, but with a recognizable bass (but not too much bass like in Beats Studio)

To be honest, my favorite one so far is B&W P%, but its too outrageously expensive. 
frown.gif

Other Specifications:
1. Over Ear & Very Comfortable (Most important!)
3. Good Design & Durable
4. No need for battery

Did my research, and so far I am inclined to Bose AE2 since it's the most comfortable one (from my research). I have not tried it though. But there are ALOT of people going against it. 
confused_face_2.gif

Please help me for my headphone search, and need to ensure that this hard earned cash of mine is well spent. Thanks! :) 

Hello again KG Jag,

what do you think of Sennheiser HD25 SP-II? Its pretty light with reported 115g, :xf_eek:

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_dj-headphones_502103

The Senn is an excellent can for portable use.  It's on ear, which a number of people don't favor in terms of comfort for long listening sessions.  In terms of your #1 priority, the 840 and KRK KNS 8400 are superior in comfort for most.

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #19,124 of 29,490
Hi, I had made another thread because I hadn't seen this thread [sorry] I'm still relatively new, I figured if there was a thread like this it would have been stickied, at any rate:

Hi, I've been visiting these forums a lot these past few days, and figured now was as good a time as any to make a post about this.

At any rate I am looking for headphones with an approximate budget of ~$150, but I would be willing to go up to $200 if is needed. This is my first time getting a 'nice' pair of headphones, so I am a bit lost to some of the nuances that other people seem to pick up about them.

What I am looking for:

1. Closed
  2. Over the ear (ideally)
  3. Detachable cord
  4. Good quality sound (if that wasn't implied)
  5. ~$150

Now I have narrowed my search down to these headphones at the moment:

Brainwavz HM5s
NVX XPT100
Shure SRH840

I also really liked the V-Moda Crossfade LP2's, as they have a detachable, braided cable as well as a very nice carrying case. However from my research it seems like they are bass heavy, which I would prefer not to have.

Additionally if anyone knows of any other headphones that I should be looking at I would appreciate information about them as well. The one thing on my list of 'requirements' that I really don't want to compromise is the detachable cable, as if I am spending this much money on a set of headphones I would like to be able to easily replace the cord if something happens to it.

I was going through some links in the OP and now I am leaning more towards the Audi Technica M50's, due to this review:
http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/3/

But I'm really not a fan of spending ~$150 on headphones where if the cable breaks I am SOL.

Does anyone have any comments/experiences about this site:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50-R-SPECIAL

They take the M50's and modify them to add a detachable cable. The downside is that the manufacturer warranty is replaced by their warranty, which I am wary about.

I was previously leaning towards the Shure SRH840 but after reading the comparison to the M50's I'm not so sure, any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks for the help!

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #19,125 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I had made another thread because I hadn't seen this thread [sorry] I'm still relatively new, I figured if there was a thread like this it would have been stickied, at any rate:

Hi, I've been visiting these forums a lot these past few days, and figured now was as good a time as any to make a post about this.

At any rate I am looking for headphones with an approximate budget of ~$150, but I would be willing to go up to $200 if is needed. This is my first time getting a 'nice' pair of headphones, so I am a bit lost to some of the nuances that other people seem to pick up about them.

What I am looking for:

1. Closed
  2. Over the ear (ideally)
  3. Detachable cord
  4. Good quality sound (if that wasn't implied)
  5. ~$150

Now I have narrowed my search down to these headphones at the moment:

Brainwavz HM5s
NVX XPT100
Shure SRH840

I also really liked the V-Moda Crossfade LP2's, as they have a detachable, braided cable as well as a very nice carrying case. However from my research it seems like they are bass heavy, which I would prefer not to have.

Additionally if anyone knows of any other headphones that I should be looking at I would appreciate information about them as well. The one thing on my list of 'requirements' that I really don't want to compromise is the detachable cable, as if I am spending this much money on a set of headphones I would like to be able to easily replace the cord if something happens to it.

I was going through some links in the OP and now I am leaning more towards the Audi Technica M50's, due to this review:
http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/3/

But I'm really not a fan of spending ~$150 on headphones where if the cable breaks I am SOL.

Does anyone have any comments/experiences about this site:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50-R-SPECIAL

They take the M50's and modify them to add a detachable cable. The downside is that the manufacturer warranty is replaced by their warranty, which I am wary about.

I was previously leaning towards the Shure SRH840 but after reading the comparison to the M50's I'm not so sure, any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks for the help!

Given your stated preferences, the stock M50 is an odd choice.  It has a fixed cord.  It features a "V" shaped EQ that emphasizes bass and gives you recessed mids.

On the other hand the Shure SRH 840 has a detachable cord and a more balanced sound signature.

The KRK KNS 8400 is even closer to neutral and has a detachable cord as well.  It is better than both the M50 and the Shure for portable use.

I have not heard the NVX.

The HM5 is OK and comes with a nice kit, but is inferior to both the Shure and KNS in terms of sound quality (I find it a bit muffled and boring).  It is also very big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back