++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 13, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #18,991 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone! My first post!

Been lurking for a few weeks now and looking to improve my audio experience.  Never bought headphone more expensive than $50.  Right now I'm looking for a good all arounder to use in the house.  Budget is around $150, but could probably go up to $200 if there is one outstanding headphone for all my needs which are:  music listening 20%, late night movies 30% and gaming 50%.

Music - rock mainly metal (power metal, heavy metal, thrash, hard rock).  Ocassionally electronic.
Movies – to watch late night when I cannot use my home theater.  Will my receiver, an onkyo sr508, be enough to drive the headphones?
Gaming – both pc and console.  I’ve read the gaming audio guides from Madlust and Nameless.  For console probably will get a mixamp later on.  For pc have onboard realtek but planning to get a sonar card or a creative titanium refurbished ($50).  I have Logitech z506 speakers, will sound improve with either?  Will the creative titanium be able to drive the headphones?  With clipon mic how do you mute on ps3?   

Isolation and portability is not essential.

My headphones right now:
-JVC air cushion iem: sound really great for the price
-Klipsch image s2: to me they sound very similar to the jvcs and not easy to get a seal
-JVC HA-RX700: great sounding but kinda muddy on the bass, sold them to get something better
-PS3 stereo headset: for me its kinda bright sounding but it is wireless and has virtual 7.1. I also use it on the pc.

I'm from Central America so locally everything is crap only some Sennheiser (like the 518), JVC, Phillips and the usually hyped and expensive Skullcandy and Beats so testing stuff or returning them is out of the equation, I have to trust reviews.  I will buy from amazon and import it here. 

Here is the list I kinda narrowed down:

Audiotechnica ATH-M50 - seems good all around and even portable but soundstage not that good for gaming
Shure SRH440
Grados SR-80 - seems good for rock but not too comfortable for gaming or movies
Creative Aurvana Live (CAL)
Audiotechnica A700 – it just a bit weird looking and lacking bass, but to a novice like me will I notice that?
Sennheiser HD518 – sold locally but don’t see them mention on the recommended thread
Koss ProDJ100 -  seems a great option
AKG Q701 –  kinda over budget

So many questions, hope you can help. 

Hey, welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.

In your price range, most things are a bit of a compromise. I'd probably recommend the Alessandro MS1i in place of the SR-80i as you get it shipped anywhere in the world for $110. It's between a SR80 and SR125 in build quality and has a more neutral but still aggressive sound signature. I've heard the M50, SRH-440, and A700 and think the Alessandro is better than all of those in overall SQ. Comfort is average (low clamp, some irritation from the pads), but at least your ears won't sweat. You may want to pay a bit more for the HD 518 if you need better comfort/soundstage at the cost of some forwardness.

The Q701 and other former flagships in the $200-$300 price range are better technically, but they generally require a good dac/amp to get all of the SQ that you're paying for.  

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #18,992 of 29,490
Quote:

Been lurking for a few weeks now and looking to improve my audio experience.  Never bought headphone more expensive than $50.  Right now I'm looking for a good all arounder to use in the house.  Budget is around $150, but could probably go up to $200 if there is one outstanding headphone for all my needs which are:  music listening 20%, late night movies 30% and gaming 50%.

Music - rock mainly metal (power metal, heavy metal, thrash, hard rock).  Ocassionally electronic.
Movies – to watch late night when I cannot use my home theater.  Will my receiver, an onkyo sr508, be enough to drive the headphones?
Gaming – both pc and console.  I’ve read the gaming audio guides from Madlust and Nameless.  For console probably will get a mixamp later on.  For pc have onboard realtek but planning to get a sonar card or a creative titanium refurbished ($50).  I have Logitech z506 speakers, will sound improve with either?  Will the creative titanium be able to drive the headphones?  With clipon mic how do you mute on ps3?   

My headphones right now:
-Klipsch image s2: to me they sound very similar to the jvcs and not easy to get a seal
-JVC HA-RX700: great sounding but kinda muddy on the bass, sold them to get something better
-PS3 stereo headset: for me its kinda bright sounding but it is wireless and has virtual 7.1. I also use it on the pc.

I'm from Central America so locally everything is crap only some Sennheiser (like the 518), JVC, Phillips and the usually hyped and expensive Skullcandy and Beats so testing stuff or returning them is out of the equation, I have to trust reviews.  I will buy from amazon and import it here. 

Audiotechnica ATH-M50 - seems good all around and even portable but soundstage not that good for gaming
Shure SRH440
Audiotechnica A700 – it just a bit weird looking and lacking bass, but to a novice like me will I notice that?
Sennheiser HD518 – sold locally but don’t see them mention on the recommended thread

I don't really know the sound signature for metal, but for movies, comfort and gaming, I'd definitely take a look at the Sennheiser HD558. Great soundstage and they are SUPER comfortable. Also, the Audio-technica A700 is great for gaming, but you will definitely notice the lack of bass, even without much audio experience. The HD558 is not a basshead headphone, but the bass is solid and balanced.

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #18,993 of 29,490
Quote:

My headphones right now:

Shure SRH440

If you're OK with open cans (they leak sound), the HD 518 is the best choice within your budget.  It is a quality all around can that is not difficult to drive. 

Removing all other considerations other than sound, the Q701 is the best can.  That said, you may or may not prefer its sound signature.

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #18,994 of 29,490
hi,

new member, not quite an audiophile, but I do like listening to music.  I bought the ATHM50s as my first real pair of headphones when Amazon was having a sale, but they're not doing it for me.  They sound ok, but not amazing.  The fact that they hurt my ears outweighs how they sound; there's no point in them sounding great if I can't even keep them on long enough to enjoy them.

I'm looking for a replacement in the sub $200 range.  Still would like a full-size over the ear closed headphones that have bigger cups so they don't kill my ears.  The pleather on the M50s isn't that great either, so I'd prefer something with a velour option.

I am partial to soft rock/acoustic/classical/instrumental with the occasional hip-hop/rap/hard rock.  I'm not too big on metal.  Most, if not all of my music is lossless and I really like hearing the details in my music.

I've looked around and really good headphones cost way too much for me at this point.  Hopefully someday, when I become pickier, I'll cross over to that territory.

Thanks in advance!

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #18,995 of 29,490
Quote:
hi,

new member, not quite an audiophile, but I do like listening to music.  I bought the ATHM50s as my first real pair of headphones when Amazon was having a sale, but they're not doing it for me.  They sound ok, but not amazing, and the fact that they hurt my ears outweighs how they sound; there's no point in them sounding great if I can't even keep them on long enough to enjoy them.

I'm looking for a replacement in the sub $200 range.  Still would like a full-size over the ear that may have bigger cups so it doesn't kill my ears.

I am partial to soft rock/acoustic/classical/instrumental with the occasional hip-hop/rap/hard rock.  I'm not too big on metal.  Most, if not all of my music is lossless and I really like hearing the details in my music.

I've looked around and really good headphones cost way too much for me at this point.  Hopefully someday, when I become pickier, I'll cross over to that territory.

Thanks in advance!

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?  Do you like the "V" shaped EQ of the M50 with its emphasis on enhanced bass and recessed mids?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Are there full sized headphones that you have tried and find to be comfortable (regardles of whether or not you like how they sound)?

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #18,996 of 29,490
Quote:
Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?  Do you like the "V" shaped EQ of the M50 with its emphasis on enhanced bass and recessed mids?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Are there full sized headphones that you have tried and find to be comfortable (regardles of whether or not you like how they sound)?

thanks for the quick response!  I'd prefer a closed set of headphones, as I like the noise isolation and don't really want sound leakage.  I don't currently own an amp, but am not against getting one.

For sound signature, I'd prefer something that's more neutral than the M50s, with a little more (but not much more) emphasis on the mids.  I don't normally turn my M50s up that high, anyway, so I don't quite get to the point where the mids are notably recessed.

I'm looking for headphones to use for commuting and work, I have my Samsung SGII for a music player and just my PC at home/work.  As I've said, I don't have an amp yet, but am not against getting one.

As for other headphones, I quickly tried most of the demos at a local Best Buy, but didn't really pay attention to comfort at the time.

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #18,998 of 29,490
Hey guys,

My hfi 580 headband is deformed............. Here's a pic... How can I fix it? I know this is a weird question, but the right side of the headband is higher than the left, and fits very strange. Any input would be great!                 

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #19,000 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,

My hfi 580 headband is deformed............. Here's a pic... How can I fix it? I know this is a weird question, but the right side of the headband is higher than the left, and fits very strange. Any input would be great!                 

How did this happen? Did they come like this or did you have something putting awkward pressure on the headband which caused it to form that way?

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #19,002 of 29,490
Quote:
Why hello there ;P

So basically i need a new pair of headphones. I have head several earbuds in the $50-$90 range but they have all quit working in one earbud within 4 weeks of me buying them. None of them in this price range seem very well made and I have been wanting a full size set of headphones for a while so i'm going to buy a nice pair now. I need your help and recommendations because i'm not an audiophile and I don''t know much about headphones in general. Last pair I had was the Soul SL49 and the thing I liked about them is that the music clarity seemed good (at least to me). I felt like i was right there next to the artist. I also liked the bass they had, it was decent but it didn't overpower other songs without much bass. So I don't want so much bass that my other music (rock and country for example) doesn't sound wrong or different. Don't get me wrong I love heavy bass but I also like other genres too and I don't want the bass to mess that up.

Genres I listen to:
Rock, Country, Rap, Hip-Hop, Dubstep, Christian, Alternative, Metal

- I would like to stay at or under $250 USD.
- Ideally a good looking pair of headphones.
- Won't be amped
- Main sources my ipod and my laptop
- Somewhat portable but not a huge deal (if it is thats great if not oh well)
- CANNOT leak sound!

So i'm looking for a set of headphones that works well with all of this and I don't know what to buy.....uhh help?

Ight so it seems like you listen to quite a variety of music. So you're going to want a balanced headphone, they cross genre the best. 

So here's my rec:

Shure Srh-840- Well balanced with a smidge of mid emphasis if anything. Great detail . Fantastic soundstage (for being closed). I'd call it transportable...not necessarily portable. It folds up and fits nicely in a leatherette bag (included). The thing's are built like a freaking tank. In fact, the cable is replaceable and it comes with extra ear  pads. Shure expected you to use them for a long, long time. Now you should be able to get them for around $150. That would leave you room to purchase an entry level dac/amp. Now that isn't necessary BUT it does help the sound pretty significantly. If you choose that route i recommend the FiiO e10. It's priced around $70. Which is fantastic for it's quality. I hope that helps. I have a full review on the 840 here. It was an early production so please, excuse the quality and slight misunderstandings. 

Any questions feel free to pm me, I'm happy to help.

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #19,005 of 29,490
Quote:
thanks! could the hfi 580 headband easily break? Polymer is very durable. How can I go about reshaping it? 

I honestly don't know how strong the material is. I would carefully try to bend it in the opposite direction, but don't take my word for it as I don't want to be responsible for you permanently damaging them. Best of luck fixing them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back