++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 12, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #18,976 of 29,490
Hello, I just created an account and i need some assistance. I'm studying at the moment and i need some headphones to use while reading at the library and while traveling.

What i need
+ noise isolation/cancellation (isolation prefered)
+ comfortable to use extended periods of time
+ comfortable to wear while using glasses
+ equal or better  sound than the v-moda m80s

Money isn't an obstacle but i won't pay more than 250$ for them. 

Could anyone of you help me out?

Edit: i think I'll be getting Focal Spirited One

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #18,977 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, I'm looking for a good set of headphones I am willing to spend around $300. What I usually do is watch movies and play games, I like to play rpg and horror type games, so I'm looking for a headphones that will help give me a more immersive experience. I would also like the headphone to help block out external sounds I live in a noisy home, and I would like them to go around the ears not on them. About 90% of the music I listen to is electronic but that would come second to my movies and gaming. 

Thanks for reading, I would love to get some recommendations!

A solid set of cans to start with would be the shure srh 840. The sound stage is excellent for a closed can. And the isolation is superb. It's relatively balanced, with a smidge of mid range emphasis. SO perhaps not the best sound signature for you musical tastes, however for providing isolation AND the immersive feel you seek i can't think of a better can. Now if you want a can just for the music try the xb 700. Great bass head can. Perhaps not the best isolation/leakage though.
Quote:
hello ppl

i do have akg k181dj that i use with creative sound blaster x-fi titanium hd & asus xonar dg
so i am thinking about buying headphone amp in a range of 100USD, that i can use with my samsung galaxy as well, so it should be more or less portable

any advise will be highly appreciated
thanx guys 

FiiO makes some of the best products for that range. I have the e10 and love it. For your situation you may want to look at the e17. It may be a little above you budget so look around at some reviews to make sure its worth it to you. If not a cmoy can be had for anywhere from $30-$100. JDS labs makes one. But there are hundreds (not exaggerating) so look around.
Quote:
Hey,

I'm looking for a pair of headphones and I'm willing to spend around 200-250 dollars. I was looking at the Philips CitiScape Uptowns, and they seem to be a nice pair. But I know absolutely nothing about headphones, and I've never really had any "good" pair of headphones. Just loads of different gaming headsets.
I need the headphones to be comfortable, since I work on the computer and I listen to music or watch something like movies or series, plus the sound quality needs to be good especially for music. Also they need to be portable and look decent, I will wear them outdoors.

Thanks a ton if you can suggest me some sweet headphones! :)

Well, here imma go again with my Monoprice 8323 and Shure srh 840. The 840 is a little questionable as to its portability. It's big, yes but i does fold up and fit nicely in a bag. It's a smidge impractical, but at about $150 one of the best values for money. Relatively balanced sound with a fantastic mid range. Sorry, it's a bit rough it was an early production in need of a revisit. 

now, about the monoprice. It's only $30. But they are extremely portable. They fold up to be quite small. They're DJ style, and built to last. The sound is a bit on the warm side. But i feel this helps with isolation a bit. 

I should mention comfort has been an issue with SOME PEOPLE with both of these headphones.
Quote:
Hello, I just created an account and i need some assistance. I'm studying at the moment and i need some headphones to use while reading at the library and while traveling.

What i need
+ noise isolation/cancellation (isolation prefered)
+ comfortable to use extended periods of time
+ comfortable to wear while using glasses
+ equal or better  sound than the v-moda m80s

Money isn't an obstacle but i won't pay more than 250$ for them. 

Could anyone of you help me out?

Edit: i think I'll be getting Focal Spirited One

Ok, lets go for the record here. How many times can a guy recommend the srh 840 in a single post. Haha. So fantastic, passive noise canceling. I find them very comfortable, but there have been complaints. Sorry, cant speak on the glasses. These should easily surpass m 80. They fold up and fit in a carrying case for travel. 

so i hope that helps you all. Now that I've helped you, you help me. Please, like, comment subscribe. It means a lot. And any questions, please, feel free to pm me.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #18,978 of 29,490
I currently have a pair of Denon AHD-5000s plugged into an Audio-gd NFB15.1 which is plugged into my computer.
I've really been eyeing a pair of LCD-2s, and now that I finally have enough leisure money for them, I have a few questions.
1) For the kind of music I listen to, (hardcore "screamo", electro, house, dnb) would LCD's be a wise choice since I would consider myself a "Bass head"? If no, then what other headphones would be recommended within an 800$ price range
2) As stated above, I have an Audio-GD NFB15.1, would I need to completely trash this and get a new amp/dac?
3) I thought my Denon's were a huge purchase, so obviously i'm quite cautious about how my money is going to be spent on the LCD's, so overall, can anyone give any PERSONAL experience on how big a performance jump from the D5K's up to the LCDs?

Thank you for any advice or insight anyone is able to provide
TGT

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #18,979 of 29,490
Hey you know, you sound like you know what you're doing on this website. I am new to audio and all the headphone stuff. I understand specs enough, so that I get what I want. So I am looking into buying headphones this black friday, however I just want all my stuff set up right. I need to know which headphones someone in your level of expertise would reccomend. I have a budget of 100 dollars. I always listen to dubstep that has high contents of bass in it, so my headphones need bass, not the punchy kinda bass from rap, but the blast kinda bass that comes from a wobble. I am willing to spend up to the price of a Fiio E3 amplifier(excluded from budget), so that gives you an idea of the power handling, I listen off of my IPhone 3GS. I want them to have detachable cords because I am going to replace the cords with male to male flat wire cords. Like the kinda wire on Beats by Dre. I would prefer that they are not tacky looking aka bright neon green or yellow. Thats about it. I would be very grateful if you could help me. I also need a case, the kind of case a pair of beats would have. THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #18,980 of 29,490
Never got a response from last week;

Can someone advise me on a set of IEM's with Decent bass, and a good overall clarity And sound signature similar to my HD595's (Or at least 485's) That I can drive off of my S3?

I understand iems are different and not I to expect the same soundstage, but i dont know much of anything useful. The only brand i have experiance with is Sennhieser and i havent ever had money to buy and try other brands and styles...
Would prefer under 200usd.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #18,981 of 29,490
Hello,

This will be my first pair of audiophile headphones so I am really new to this. I have been doing a lot of research the last few weeks about headphones and I think I have narrowed it down to two different ones. I thought it would be a good idea to get some opinions on the choice I have to make, especially since I'm so new. It's between the Sennheiser HD 598 or the Grado 325is which are both around the same price (the sennheisers being 40 dollars less). I mostly listen to rock music, my favorite being led zeppelin, so I know the Grado's are made for that. But I would also use them for other things like watching videos on my computer. Any help/opinions is greatly appreciated.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #18,982 of 29,490
Quote:
Can someone advise me on a set of IEM's with Decent bass, and a good overall clarity And sound signature similar to my HD595's (Or at least 485's) That I can drive off of my S3?
I understand iems are different and not I to expect the same soundstage, but i dont know much of anything useful. The only brand i have experiance with is Sennhieser and i havent ever had money to buy and try other brands and styles...

Check out this thread since you are currently posting in the full-size forum.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #18,983 of 29,490

Thats cuz u r in the full sized headphone forum. I can say try some good for value iems (i recommend cx200 to everyone for cheap bass iem that sounds great, or jvc fx40). Then when u decide on the sig u like best, ask again in the portable iem/forum.

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #18,984 of 29,490
Quote:

You probably did not get a response because you posted in the wrong section of the forum.  This is the full sized headphone section of the forum and this thread is here for the purpose of seeking and responding to recommendations of full sized headphones.

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #18,985 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello,

This will be my first pair of audiophile headphones so I am really new to this. I have been doing a lot of research the last few weeks about headphones and I think I have narrowed it down to two different ones. I thought it would be a good idea to get some opinions on the choice I have to make, especially since I'm so new. It's between the Sennheiser HD 598 or the Grado 325is which are both around the same price (the sennheisers being 40 dollars less). I mostly listen to rock music, my favorite being led zeppelin, so I know the Grado's are made for that. But I would also use them for other things like watching videos on my computer. Any help/opinions is greatly appreciated.

The 598 is the better all arounder.   If you are about to pull the trigger on the Grado, make sure that you are OK with its highs.  Many find them to be harsh (the similar Alessandro MS2i tones this down).  The 325 has the best sound stage of the SR Grados, but is still not up there with the 598.  That is important for movies and gaming.

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #18,986 of 29,490
Hifiman HE-400  ? but closed..any recomendations?

to many choices in my head from reading around here..
wants..hmm..A bigger better (fullsized) version of my current love HD-25's..

aka, bulletproof fullsized qutie neutral and easy to drive.

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #18,987 of 29,490
q701 or dt 880 or he-400? pros and cons? amping? I think it'll be the be all, end all headphone for me for a while. I'd be driving it through a fiio e17, maybe upgrading to a objective2 + odac soon or maybe even the ALO Pan am. Thanks 
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #18,988 of 29,490
Thanks for the input! It's a tough decision cause the sennheisers look more comfortable and are cheaper. But the grado's would sound better for rock music and the build quality of them looks better than the sennheisers. I guess i'll think about it a little longer and then make a decision.

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #18,989 of 29,490
Hello everyone! My first post!

Been lurking for a few weeks now and looking to improve my audio experience.  Never bought headphone more expensive than $50.  Right now I'm looking for a good all arounder to use in the house.  Budget is around $150, but could probably go up to $200 if there is one outstanding headphone for all my needs which are:  music listening 20%, late night movies 30% and gaming 50%.

Music - rock mainly metal (power metal, heavy metal, thrash, hard rock).  Ocassionally electronic.
Movies – to watch late night when I cannot use my home theater.  Will my receiver, an onkyo sr508, be enough to drive the headphones?
Gaming – both pc and console.  I’ve read the gaming audio guides from Madlust and Nameless.  For console probably will get a mixamp later on.  For pc have onboard realtek but planning to get a sonar card or a creative titanium refurbished ($50).  I have Logitech z506 speakers, will sound improve with either?  Will the creative titanium be able to drive the headphones?  With clipon mic how do you mute on ps3?   

Isolation and portability is not essential.

My headphones right now:
-JVC air cushion iem: sound really great for the price
-Klipsch image s2: to me they sound very similar to the jvcs and not easy to get a seal
-JVC HA-RX700: great sounding but kinda muddy on the bass, sold them to get something better
-PS3 stereo headset: for me its kinda bright sounding but it is wireless and has virtual 7.1. I also use it on the pc.

I'm from Central America so locally everything is crap only some Sennheiser (like the 518), JVC, Phillips and the usually hyped and expensive Skullcandy and Beats so testing stuff or returning them is out of the equation, I have to trust reviews.  I will buy from amazon and import it here. 

Here is the list I kinda narrowed down:

Audiotechnica ATH-M50 - seems good all around and even portable but soundstage not that good for gaming
Shure SRH440
Grados SR-80 - seems good for rock but not too comfortable for gaming or movies
Creative Aurvana Live (CAL)
Audiotechnica A700 – it just a bit weird looking and lacking bass, but to a novice like me will I notice that?
Sennheiser HD518 – sold locally but don’t see them mention on the recommended thread
Koss ProDJ100 -  seems a great option
AKG Q701 –  kinda over budget

So many questions, hope you can help. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #18,990 of 29,490
Why hello there ;P

So basically i need a new pair of headphones. I have head several earbuds in the $50-$90 range but they have all quit working in one earbud within 4 weeks of me buying them. None of them in this price range seem very well made and I have been wanting a full size set of headphones for a while so i'm going to buy a nice pair now. I need your help and recommendations because i'm not an audiophile and I don''t know much about headphones in general. Last pair I had was the Soul SL49 and the thing I liked about them is that the music clarity seemed good (at least to me). I felt like i was right there next to the artist. I also liked the bass they had, it was decent but it didn't overpower other songs without much bass. So I don't want so much bass that my other music (rock and country for example) doesn't sound wrong or different. Don't get me wrong I love heavy bass but I also like other genres too and I don't want the bass to mess that up.

Genres I listen to:
Rock, Country, Rap, Hip-Hop, Dubstep, Christian, Alternative, Metal

- I would like to stay at or under $250 USD.
- Ideally a good looking pair of headphones.
- Won't be amped
- Main sources my ipod and my laptop
- Somewhat portable but not a huge deal (if it is thats great if not oh well)
- CANNOT leak sound!

So i'm looking for a set of headphones that works well with all of this and I don't know what to buy.....uhh help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back