++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #18,931 of 29,490
Quote:
Edit: It looks like some Denon AHD2000s might be good as well. I'm trying to keep the price under 300 though. Someone tell me if it's truly worth spending $320 on these bad boys.

Lol don't spend that. Since they have been discountinued, I still highly recommend them, but used for a good price. Around here you can get em for around $210
They excel at synthetic music wonderfully!

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #18,932 of 29,490
posted into a thread earlier instead of here OPPS-

Hi guys, I've been lurking here for a while and was looking to get your advice on my next set of headphones,
Currently listen to a W5000(most stuff) or DT250 80Ohm(rap & rnb) and was looking for a new set of headphones to either complement or replace what I have, Currently using a NFB10-SE with DIR9001 upgrade and connected via coax as source amp.

Looking to spend under $1500 on my next upgrade, what would be the best upgrade for me out of the following?
LCD2 balanced
HE6 balanced
Stax setup (probably a 407)
PS-1000/GS1000

I have never heard any, and will probably buy them blindly (like all my other purchases)
have previously owned, HD650(poorly amped and sourced back then), MS1(with OCC cable upgrade), TF10+Mids custom iem.

Oh and I listen to a wide array of music genres, mainly listening in MOG, but every now and again I find something I like enough to look for the lossless version of and enjoy even more.

Sep 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #18,938 of 29,490
Recommendation request: solved!

I'm looking for my first real headphones. I will use it primarily directly from my computer (onboard sound, Realtek ALC888 chip if that helps). Criteria:
Main listening materials:
- Computer games (game soundtracks, effects. But won't need super accuracy for FPS or MMORPG-style games, as I don't play them)
- Must give a good rendition of Heather Nova (http://youtu.be/o0FnyRpZOWA) :D
- Rock / pop tunes (emphasis on what went as "alternative" in the 90s (e.g. Skunk Anansie, PUSA), but also includes U2, Muse, Adele)
- Motown
- Classical music
- The occasional movie

I don't have an amp and am not planning on getting one. I will on occassion connect it to my iPod Nano 2G but that's a very minor use case. I'll have a different set of headphones for travelling purposes (have a Senn PX200-II for that purpose)

I'd like an (semi) open set, because I want to get a taste of what the "open" sound is.

I live in Holland, so local availability is a concern. This influences pricing as well. Headphones here seem very much more expensive than headphones at the other side of the Atlantic.

My current candidates are:
- Grado Sr60i; around 110 euro
- AKG 240 MKII; around 120 euro
- Samson SR850; around 45 euro

Good picks? Alternative suggestions?

EDIT: I think 100 euro is a lot of money to spend on headphones, but if they're really enjoyable and will last me more than a few years, then I'm willing to spend it. It's not that I don't have the money to buy e.g. the AKG from this shortlist at that price, it's that I'm not sure it's money well spent on my untrained ears.

EDIT 2: added onboard sound chip + music specifications in case that helps.

EDIT 3: Solved, with help from KG Jag and Steve2151. AKG maybe too difficult to drive, Grado a tad too expensive for me; AD700 considered, but too expensive as well. Alessandro MS1i offered as an alternative, suits my needs and is at the right price point for me. Unless a showstopper occurs somewhere, I will be the proud owner of an Alessandro MS1i soon.

Sep 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #18,940 of 29,490
Quote:
For Trance,Rock and reggae wich one is better Hfi-780 or V-moda m80??

My budget is 200$...

Thanks!

Both are generally well regarded.  It depends on your personal sound signature preference (read more in buying guides linked in opening post of this thread) and comfort considerations, which tend to vary from person to person.

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #18,941 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for my first real headphones. I will use it primarily directly from my computer (onboard sound). Criteria:
- Computer games (game soundtracks, effects. But won't need super accuracy for FPS or MMORPG-style games, as I don't play them)
- Rock / pop tunes
- Motown
- Classical music
- The occasional movie

I don't have an amp and am not planning on getting one. I will on occassion connect it to my iPod Nano 2G but that's a very minor use case. I'll have a different set of headphones for travelling purposes (have a Senn PX200-II for that purpose)

I'd like an (semi) open set, because I want to get a taste of what the "open" sound is.

I live in Holland, so local availability is a concern. This influences pricing as well. Headphones here seem very much more expensive than headphones at the other side of the Atlantic.

EDIT: I think 100 euro is a lot of money to spend on headphones, but if they're really enjoyable and will last me more than a few years, then I'm willing to spend it. It's not that I don't have the money to buy e.g. the AKG from this shortlist at that price, it's that I'm not sure it's money well spent on my untrained ears.

The first big problem is that no one really knows what your on-board sound will push--but it probably isn't much.  This means that you need to stay with the most efficient cans to be safe.  These are rated a "1' in the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.

The second big problem for me is that I don't know you favorite music.  However, based on all the uses you list under it and (problem #3) based on U.S. street prices, consider the Audio Technica AD 700 or 900.  The Grados are great rock cans but don't have the sound stage for all you uses.  The AKG may be too difficult to drive for you.  The Samson is a good budget choice, but can't compete well uphill with good cans that are 2 x its price.

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #18,942 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for my first real headphones. I will use it primarily directly from my computer (onboard sound). Criteria:
- Rock / pop tunes
- Motown
- Classical music
- The occasional movie

If the Audio Technica's are out of your price range, try getting the Alessandro MS1i from their website. It should still be $110 USD shipped anywhere in the world for something that is between an SR80i and SR125i Grado. You can get a more balanced sound that works better than the SR60i for genres that aren't rock or pop.

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #18,943 of 29,490
Quote:
The first big problem is that no one really knows what your on-board sound will push--but it probably isn't much.  This means that you need to stay with the most efficient cans to be safe.  These are rated a "1' in the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.

The second big problem for me is that I don't know you favorite music.  However, based on all the uses you list under it and (problem #3) based on U.S. street prices, consider the Audio Technica AD 700 or 900.  The Grados are great rock cans but don't have the sound stage for all you uses.  The AKG may be too difficult to drive for you.  The Samson is a good budget choice, but can't compete well uphill with good cans that are 2 x its price.

My onboard sound is a RealTek ALC888 (will add this to my original post)
Fave music has heavy emphasis on what went as "alternative" in the 90s (e.g. Skunk Anansie, PUSA), but also includes Heather Nova, Marvin Gaye, U2. I'm getting into classical music (including opera as well as orchestral works, though not pure choral works)

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #18,944 of 29,490
Quote:

If the Audio Technica's are out of your price range, try getting the Alessandro MS1i from their website. It should still be $110 USD shipped anywhere in the world for something that is between an SR80i and SR125i Grado. You can get a more balanced sound that works better than the SR60i for genres that aren't rock or pop.

ATH-AD700 seems to go for 130-170 euro. That's kind of too steep for me.

Alessandro looks interesting. They seem to charge no shipping at all if ordered from their website. I take it the 2009 version (109 USD) is the MS1i and the "original" version (goes for 99 USD) is the MS1?

Just a quick check to be sure: I assume driving the MS1i without amp is no problem?

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #18,945 of 29,490
Yes, you are correct with regards to the model pricing. The MS1i is fine ampless, but does improve if you put a good dac behind it.

It's a well-rounded headphone, but the soundstage is on the smaller side, so it's not the best for classical. However, it's better than AD700 for alternative and jazz. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back