++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 9, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #18,916 of 29,490
Hi! A newbie here...
redface.gif

I just bought a HRT Headstreamer and now I'm undecided about which closed back headphone to buy...budget is $150-300
For now I've been looking at these cans:

1. Audio Technica M-50
  2. AKG K271
  3. Shure SRH-840
  4. Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohm)

I listen to almost every genre, except maybe classical/jazz, so I'm looking for the most flat and neutral response, I don't want them to colour the sound...
Any other suggestion in that price range is welcome.
What would you choose?
Thanks!

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #18,917 of 29,490
Quote:
That particular seller has good ratings, but I do not know personally that these particular headphones are commonly counterfeited. I just know on amazon, especially with high quality items, that a lot of companies sell counterfeits.

It sounds like you have not yet searched the internet to see if folks are reporting fakes of these models.  If they are, you can often find pictures.

I also appears that you have not yet checked for authorized dealers.  This can also be done easily either through the AT site and/or simply by asking some of these top Amazon vendors if they are authorized AT dealers.

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #18,918 of 29,490
Quote:
I am looking to upgrade after selling my Senn PXC 450's, which I regretfully purchased...Here is what I use headphones for

-Game ( I play a lot of MMORPG's as well as FPS - so ambiance sound is crucial)
-Music ( pretty much every genre from Rap to classical)
-Movies ( I watch a lot of movies on my computer)
-Preferences ( I don't have a whole lot, but I do like some decent bass, without having to AMP)

- I am sort of torn between open and closed headphones. I usually prefer closed, because I live with roommates and I would rather the sound not leak out where you can hear it outside of my room), but I am considering open....just not sure if I do want to go that route. And, I haven't really ever had open headphones...so I don't really know how much sound leaks out...but I guess it depends on the cans in question.

-I also usually like to buy new headphones. When buying used I just don't know what the person has done with them (i.e. dropped them several times or pulled the cord out and repaired it...ect...ect)

Here is a couple cans I have been looking at......

-ATH-M50's
-DT 770 Pros
-Senn HD 598s (At my max on Amazon)
-Denon AH-D2000s (If I can find them in my price range)
-Audio Technica A700's

Overall Im just looking for some well rounded headphones. Great for Gaming, Music, and Movies. Decent Bass would be nice. (Was going to purchase a Fiio E7 if they didn't have it)  I want to try open back  headphones (Sennheiser HD 598's) but I'm afraid they might leak too much sound, though I've never had open back so I wouldn't have a good idea.

Any suggestions would be super helpful.

Kyle

The 598 is the best for your needs, except they leak quite a bit.  If your roommate is in the same room, this could very well be a problem--unless he's listening to his own headphones.

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #18,919 of 29,490
Quote:
The 598 is the best for your needs, except they leak quite a bit.  If your roommate is in the same room, this could very well be a problem--unless he's listening to his own headphones.

I mean't that I didn't want my roommates to hear them through the wall with the sound on high. I also have heard the Bass is kind of weak on the 598's after looking around...fixed with an amp like the E7?

But, after thinking about it, I would probably want to use these in the library or when I'm studying on campus.
So, Besides the 598's what closed can Headphones would best suit my needs would you say?
Atm I have the SRH-840's, AH-D2000's, and the Audio Technica A700's up in the air unless there is a better option around those prices

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #18,920 of 29,490
Quote:
 I mean't that I didn't want my roommates to hear them through the wall with the sound on high. I also have heard the Bass is kind of weak on the 598's after looking around...fixed with an amp like the E7?

But, after thinking about it, I would probably want to use these in the library or when I'm studying on campus.
So, Besides the 598's what closed can Headphones would best suit my needs would you say?
Atm I have the SRH-840's, AH-D2000's, and the Audio Technica A700's up in the air unless there is a better option around those prices

You really want these cans to be a swiss army knife.  Candidly, no closed can in your apparent price range (apparently $100 to $320 or so--based on the cans you have listed) is going to be great for all you want it to.  The best for you uses and preferences is the SRH 840.  It has mid bass hump, great mids and highs that are bit recessed.  It folds up and is decent for portable use.  It has a detachable cable and an extra set of ear pads.

The D2000 and DT 770 are not good for portable use.  If you think the 598 is bass light, then you will be very disappointed in the bass (or lack thereof) of the A700.  The recessed mids of the M50 make it a bad match for classsical music and not so good for reproducing vocals and guitars.

If it truly is within your budget, the $300 AKG K 550  is worth a look.  Possible issues with it are  whether it will meet your portable needs and whether you will be able to get a good seal, which is necessary to get the full benefit of its sound.  Those with beards, sideburns and even (sometimes) glasses have had difficulties.

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #18,921 of 29,490
I would like to enter into premium sound world for the first time, so I thought you guys can help me out to choose headphones, here are my preferences

I listen to bollywood songs (95% time I listen to them), pop, R&B, hip hop, country, rock and so on.. These headphone will not be meant for monitoring, its only meant for listening music and movies from my laptop and iphone

Below are few headphones(closed can) i found out after searching through forum.

Audio Technica ATH M50
Audio Technica ATH M50s ( I dont see any difference from ATHM 50 except straight cable but there are good reviews towards 50s than 50, I may be wrong)
Denon AHD2000
Beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80ohm
Shure SRH840

As of now I am using Klipsch image s4i (in-ear) and I must say they are pretty good but not great,imo. So i would like to experience premium sound, please suggest me headphone below $200 and I will be using them without amp. If you have any other headphones which can be considered, please share, i would be happy to look into them. PS that i haven't tried any of above headphones so not sure of how they sound. Thanks

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #18,922 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi! A newbie here...
redface.gif

I just bought a HRT Headstreamer and now I'm undecided about which closed back headphone to buy...budget is $150-300

1. Audio Technica M-50
  2. AKG K271
  3. Shure SRH-840

I listen to almost every genre, except maybe classical/jazz, so I'm looking for the most flat and neutral response, I don't want them to colour the sound...
What would you choose?
Thanks!

With the qualification that I am not familiar with your amp/dac, the Shure SRH 940 is top dog for what you described.  If you want a bit more bass beyond neutral, give the SRH 840 a look.  The AKG K 550, which is at the top of your price range is also worth a glance--with the caveats set forth in my post almost immediately above.

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #18,923 of 29,490
Quote:
You really want these cans to be a swiss army knife.  Candidly, no closed can in your apparent price range (apparently $100 to $320 or so--based on the cans you have listed) is going to be great for all you want it to.  The best for you uses and preferences is the SRH 840.  It has mid bass hump, great mids and highs that are bit recessed.  It folds up and is decent for portable use.  It has a detachable cable and an extra set of ear pads.

The D2000 and DT 770 are not good for portable use.  If you think the 598 is bass light, then you will be very disappointed in the bass (or lack thereof) of the A700.  The recessed mids of the M50 make it a bad match for classsical music and not so good for reproducing vocals and guitars.

If it truly is within your budget, the $300 AKG K 550  is worth a look.  Possible issues with it are  whether it will meet your portable needs and whether you will be able to get a good seal, which is necessary to get the full benefit of its sound.  Those with beards, sideburns and even (sometimes) glasses have had difficulties.

Ok, great. Thanks for the advice. I have looked into the AKG K 550's and they look great. I have shorter hair and no beard,sideburns,glasses so I think I would be able to get a seal. And they also look portable enough. I had a final questions before I go ahead with my purchase.
How much sound leaks out of the HD 598's. For instance, If I am in my room with the door closed and I live in a duplex where the walls are kind of thin. Will my roommate in the room next to me hear the sound?

IF the sound does not leak like I described,  is it worth amp'ing the 598's to increase the bass and then purchase some cheaper portable headphones for $50-$60 bucks or so to use while I am out? Or would it be a wiser move to just snag the AKG K 550's?

Thanks for the advice KG Jag, its been SUPER helpful!

Kyle

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #18,924 of 29,490
Quote:

Ok, great. Thanks for the advice. I have looked into the AKG K 550's and they look great. I have shorter hair and no beard,sideburns,glasses so I think I would be able to get a seal. And they also look portable enough. I had a final questions before I go ahead with my purchase.
How much sound leaks out of the HD 598's. For instance, If I am in my room with the door closed and I live in a duplex where the walls are kind of thin. Will my roommate in the room next to me hear the sound?

IF the sound does not leak like I described,  is it worth amp'ing the 598's to increase the bass and then purchase some cheaper portable headphones for $50-$60 bucks or so to use while I am out? Or would it be a wiser move to just snag the AKG K 550's?

Thanks for the advice KG Jag, its been SUPER helpful!

Kyle

Hi Kyle--You should have no problem with the 598 (or any other open can I know) when walls and a closed door seperates you from others.  I never used my 598's unamped.  I would advise amping them.  I am confident that they will improve with it, but I can't tell you that that this improvement will pertain to bass (as occurs in the Ultrasone Pro 750).  The 598 is an outstanding all arround can.  It has the kind of sound stage that only an open can cand deliver.

Reasonable minds will differ, but I'd go with the open 598 over the 550 and get a more a portable and probably easier to drive can for portable use.  In that regard, I would spend a bit more than you mentioned to reach the KRK KNS6400 (currently $83 shipped through Amazon) or the Sony MDR-ZX700, which is often priced just a bit less.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/560605/krk-kns-6400-review-impressive-99-giant-killer

and

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sony-mdr-zx700

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #18,925 of 29,490
Hi Kyle--You should have no problem with the 598 (or any other open can I know) when walls and a closed door seperates you from others.  I never used my 598's unamped.  I would advise amping them.  I am confident that they will improve with it, but I can't tell you that that this improvement will pertain to bass (as occurs in the Ultrasone Pro 750).  The 598 is an outstanding all arround can.  It has the kind of sound stage that only an open can cand deliver.

Reasonable minds will differ, but I'd go with the open 598 over the 550 and get a more a portable and probably easier to drive can for portable use.  In that regard, I would spend a bit more than you mentioned to reach the KRK KNS6400 (currently $83 shipped through Amazon) or the Sony MDR-ZX700, which is often priced just a bit less.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/560605/krk-kns-6400-review-impressive-99-giant-killer

and

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sony-mdr-zx700

Ok great. I am really leaning toward the 598's. Though, how much money am I going to have to spend on an amp to make it worth while and hopefully add some bass? I am afraid after getting these I might be disappointed with the bass. These are for gaming/movies Just as much as music if not a little more....I'm in a delimma here haha. Also, considering my budget I would only be able to spend up to $75 on the amp. Also, I wouldn't be able to spend really more than $275-$300 total so I'd have to wait on a portable pair.

Kyle

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #18,926 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok great. I am really leaning toward the 598's. Though, how much money am I going to have to spend on an amp to make it worth while and hopefully add some bass? I am afraid after getting these I might be disappointed with the bass. These are for gaming/movies Just as much as music if not a little more....I'm in a delimma here haha. Also, considering my budget I would only be able to spend up to $75 on the amp. Also, I wouldn't be able to spend really more than $275-$300 total so I'd have to wait on a portable pair.
Kyle

If you want more bass than the 598 offers, you will need a good portable amp with an EQ feature.  I don't have any portable amps, but I'm sure that others here can help you with that.

Sep 9, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #18,927 of 29,490
Hey guys, made an account here finally because I need some help. I'm a huge fan of electronic music, moreso trance and dance. I listen to some dubstep as well but I hate saying I listen to dubstep because it's such an overused term. Infected Mushroom, Shpongle, Hallucinogen, Ott, Blackmill, Rusko, Deadmau5, Pretty Lights, Morgan Page, Porter Robinson, Pendulum, Araabmuzik, that sort of thing. I do listen to other artists/genres though, like Fleet Foxes, Tech N9ne, Coldplay, A Day To Remember, Bon Iver, Rammstein, Kanye... you get the picture. But the majority of my music is electronic. I love crisp sound and sparkly treble/mids, as long as it's not so bright that my ears will ache after a while. I want my cans to be able to keep up with the speed of Infected Mushroom. I like bass but not overpoweringly so. I want to save my ears if I can. Also fashion is a huge bonus if there are cans that fit my needs and also look great.

I'm thinking closed back, as I plan on using these at home and at work and I don't want to disturb anyone. I currently have some Sennheiser HD280s with a Fiio E5. So far I've considered DT770s and DT880s, ATH-M50s, and HD 25-IIs. I really want some B&W P5s but from what I've read those have a warmer signature and I'm not sure I would be able to appreciate them fully despite their GORGEOUS looks.

I'm ideally thinking of getting a Fiio E7 for whatever headphones I end up getting. Are there any obvious ones I might be missing? The AKG K702s look nice as well. Sennheiser unveiled their "Momentum" headphones at IFA just a week ago, and those look amazing. I think they're supposed to be retailing for around $350, but we'll see. They look great, hopefully they sound just as great.

Help me out guys!

Edit: It looks like some Denon AHD2000s might be good as well. I'm trying to keep the price under 300 though. Someone tell me if it's truly worth spending $320 on these bad boys.

Edit2: I forgot to say, I've read some great things about HD380s but almost no one here has recommended them. They're also cheaper and I like the signature of my 280s. My 280s have a tendency to be a bit clampy, but I rarely notice it. I haven't worn them in a while, though. The 380s aren't exactly lookers but I'm not too concerned with that. As long as the headband doesn't flatten my hair after wearing them for a few hours, I'll be fine. The cheaper price of the cans would allow me to get a nice Fiio E7/E9 combo too, I think.

Edit3: So it's looking like DT770s are a good middle ground for me, but I still want some input. I'm also considering getting the Fiio E17 and forgoing the E7/E9 combo. I have an Onkyo receiver that I can use for my headphones at home and the E17 can be for portable use. I'm not quite sure how good the headphone port on the receiver is, though. Either way, I think the Fiio would serve as a pretty decent DAC/amp for $140. Need more input though. I want to keep the whole setup under $400 if possible, with a portable amp and a desktop amp if it's possible. I'm not sure how I feel about using a portable DAC/amp as a desktop amp 50% of the time. It'll be used at work with my Galaxy S III (gonna see if the USB will work with a USG-OTG adapter for my phone) and with my Macbook Pro at home. This is getting long-winded. HALP.

Edit4: A Cmoy amplifier seems to be a good option as well. Going to research this more and see if it will quench my thirst while I debate spending $140 on a portable DAC that may or may not be compatible with my phone.

Edit4-1: Turns out the E17 is not compatible with the SGS3 at this point for some reasons involving USB spec. However, the E7 has been proven to work. May end up getting that.

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #18,928 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi! A newbie here...
redface.gif

1. Audio Technica M-50
  2. AKG K271
  3. Shure SRH-840

What would you choose?
Thanks!

so i cant speak personally on any of those except the shure. The 840 is a great can relatively balance. With a twinge, and i mean a twinge, of mid emphasis.  Built like a tank. 

Now from what I've heard, and i hate to regurgitate this on you, but the m 50 apparently have a more v shaped sound, that is more bass and treble, less mids. Basically color if you will. But check on that with someone who knows about them personally. 

hope that helps/ Question on the Shure pm me. 

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #18,929 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi!

The HD 600 are neutral cans, where the HD 650 are adding a touch of warmth and bass and taking some treble away from the music.
Often, the 650's are described as veiled, which is caused if you don't drive them correctly, but I think your O2 would be good at driving them.
The HE 400 are (enty level)  high end orthodynamics.
As such, they have superior technicalities, in my opinion.
The downside of it is that they need a fairly good amplifier, like a balanced tube amp.
I think you would enjoy the great detail of the HE 400's, but I don't know if they are absolutely neutral and you could have problems at driving them with your O2+ODAC.

Is there any difference in detail between the Hd 650 and 600? Also, what do you mean by "superior technicalities"? Do you mean that the HE 400's will produce music in greater detail?

I have also heard that the HE 400's are significantly easier to drive than the Sennheisers, is this not accurate?

Sep 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #18,930 of 29,490
Best combination for metal? Phones: HD600 DT880 amp/dac: Nuforce Icon HD Musical Fidelity V-CAN MK-II I listen mostly to progressive metal, but Dream theater and Tool are the softest i go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back