++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 29, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #18,541 of 29,490
Quote:
How are the Brainwavz HM5's compared to the KRK 8400's in terms of clarity, neutrality, and soundstage? Are they basically the same but HM5 has a bigger soundstage?

The KRK is just better--and a good deal smaller.  The HM5 is OK but it is also bland and lacks the clarity, detail and depth of both the 8400 and SRH 840.  To me it's the "you could do worse" can of its class.

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #18,542 of 29,490
Anyone knows how the hd 598 fares in performance against the a900x. Like in terms of bass, vocals, lows, mids and highs. Can't actually find a direct comparison between them since the a900x is relatively new and has not much reviews on it too. =/

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #18,544 of 29,490
Quote:
Anyone knows how the hd 598 fares in performance against the a900x. Like in terms of bass, vocals, lows, mids and highs. Can't actually find a direct comparison between them since the a900x is relatively new and has not much reviews on it too. =/

Lets see the HD598s are open and the A900Xs are closed. I own the A900Xs and HD558s with the black rubber tape removed.
What are you going to use to drive the headphone?

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #18,546 of 29,490
Quote:
If you are considering used, you should include that information when seeking advice and input. 

Everyone has been on a tight budget at one time or another.

I thought I did o_O oh well, next time. Thanks for the tip. I'm a high school student with social obligations, saving for a car, etc. Can barely scrounge up enough cash for something for me. Weekend cashiers don't exactly make 6 figures XD So, anything you'd recommend now that the door to used headphones has been opened?

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #18,547 of 29,490
Quote:
I thought I did o_O oh well, next time. Thanks for the tip. I'm a high school student with social obligations, saving for a car, etc. Can barely scrounge up enough cash for something for me. Weekend cashiers don't exactly make 6 figures XD So, anything you'd recommend now that the door to used headphones has been opened?

If you can get a pair of 840's in good shape and with full kit for under $100, jump on them.  Just understand that even with their mid-bass hump, they are not basshead cans.  They have excellent mids, which translates to great vocals.

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #18,549 of 29,490
Hello im new here .... nice to meet you all peeps
Im not sure if this is the right place but im gonna give it a try :D

I need recommendation for a good Dj Headphone my budget is up to $500 
theres so many brands that i didnt even know it existed.

If its possible can i get like top 5 recommended really good dj headphones that wont go over $500
Im starting to Dj i need a really good one 

Thanks in advanced

Aug 30, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #18,550 of 29,490
Quote:
Lets see the HD598s are open and the A900Xs are closed. I own the A900Xs and HD558s with the black rubber tape removed.
What are you going to use to drive the headphone?

I'm going to drive them ampless and probably straight out from my galaxy s3 or my pc which has Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster[size=x-small]®[/size] X-Fi™ soundcard (not very familiar with soundcards though)

P.s. I'm relatively new to these kind of stuffs

Edit: Oh and I might plan to get a FiiO E17 if I got the money... and isit true that the hd598 isn't able to pair with the e17?

Aug 30, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #18,551 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm going to drive them ampless and probably straight out from my galaxy s3 or my PC which has Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster[size=x-small]®[/size] X-Fi™ sound card (not very familiar with sound cards though)
P.s. I'm relatively new to these kind of stuffs
Edit: Oh and I might plan to get a FiiO E17 if I got the money... and is it true that the hd598 isn't able to pair with the E17?

Can't see any reason the HD598 would not work with the E17.
The HD598 is only 50-Ohm
My HD558 (50-Ohm) works great (easily) with my E11, which is about equal amp. wise to the E17.
Just about any headphone should work well with the E17.
The E17 will improve the headphone audio quality over the X-fi sound card.

Aug 30, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #18,552 of 29,490
Need some suggestions for well rounded over ear headphones for mostly gaming, but with quite a bit of music/movies as well. I need something that is not bass dead (major complaint of AD700's from what I read), with a closed back that doesn't leak too much sound.

Budget is $150, $250 if the purchase is through Bestbuy.com(Preferred due to a $100 gift card).

I have little knowledge in this area, but I was looking at some audio technica ATH-A700x as well as ATH-A900x.

Slightly off topic, but I will be purchasing an audio card shortly as well as I do not have one at the moment. My primary choice right now is a refurbished Asus Xonar ST. Figured I would add that bit in there as it may influence suggestions.

Aug 30, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #18,553 of 29,490
Quote:
Need some suggestions for well rounded over ear headphones for mostly gaming, but with quite a bit of music/movies as well. I need something that is not bass dead (major complaint of AD700's from what I read), with a closed back that doesn't leak too much sound.

Budget is $150, $250 if the purchase is through Bestbuy.com(Preferred due to a $100 gift card).

I have little knowledge in this area, but I was looking at some audio technica ATH-A700x as well as ATH-A900x.

Slightly off topic, but I will be purchasing an audio card shortly as well as I do not have one at the moment. My primary choice right now is a refurbished Asus Xonar ST. Figured I would add that bit in there as it may influence suggestions.

Check the gaming headphones link in the opening post of this thread.

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #18,554 of 29,490
Quote:
Can't see any reason the HD598 would not work with the E17.
The HD598 is only 50-Ohm
My HD558 (50-Ohm) works great (easily) with my E11, which is about equal amp. wise to the E17.
Just about any headphone should work well with the E17.
The E17 will improve the headphone audio quality over the X-fi sound card.

Thx for the quick feedback. So isit unfair to actually compare the hd598 with the a900x? Since 1 is open and the other closed. But I have seen some people mentioned that the akg 550 being a closed headphone has almost the same soundstage as the hd598. Is that the case also for the a900x?

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #18,555 of 29,490
Hi everyone. I am looking for new cans that follow these parameters:

-My budget is $300 USD.
-I currently have a Nuforce uDac.
-I listen to trace, psyambient/psy, ambient, and dabble around with most electronic music not including house or dubstep.
-I am coming from a a pair of Ultrasone Pro 2500s and have grown tired of the sound signature they have to offer
-I like the open back design but am willing to used closed backs

I've been looking at the He-300s and the FA-011s.
With this in mind what would be a good recommendation?

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back