++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 29, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #18,511 of 29,490
Looking for some advice on some new cans.

I'm living in Germany for the time being so I figured I should take advantage of the situation by picking up something "local".

Requirements:

Closed (wife and baby in a small apartment)
<€250ish
~300 Ohm
German/Austrian company
Able to be driven with Grant Fidelity DAC-11
don't want something that is considered "bright"
Music ranges from classical to rock with lots of jam band stuff including live shows
Comfortable

Thanks,

JT

Aug 29, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #18,512 of 29,490

1.Isolation and portable its important for me cause i need for outside use
2.A headphone that progressive trance sounds amazing but i can listen to rock and reggae too
3.Dont want to use with amp
4.Preffer with removable output cable

My budget is 200u$

*Sorry for my english mistakes
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

--------
Im in doubt between V-moda 80 x Ultrasone hfi 780,but i think that im going with the ultrasone cause i preefer over ear....do you guys think thats its a good choice???

Aug 29, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #18,514 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for some advice on some new cans.

I'm living in Germany for the time being so I figured I should take advantage of the situation by picking up something "local".

Requirements:

Closed (wife and baby in a small apartment)
<€200ish
~300 Ohm
German/Austrian company
Able to be driven with Grand Fidelity DAC-11
don't want something that is considered "bright"
Music ranges from classical to rock with lots of jam band stuff including live shows
Comfortable

Thanks,

JT

Depending on your local prices, maybe the AKG K500 or Beyer DT 1350.

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #18,515 of 29,490
Been lurking for a while, but I figured I'd post and ask for some recommendations. 

First, I own Ultrasone HFI-580's. Found them for a good deal and was told they would sound good, but were easier to drive than the 780's.

After some listening, I must say, I really like S-Logic. When I listen to some headphones (ATH-M50 come to mind here), especially during my wubwub phases, I get fatigue and headaches from the bass due to the constant directional pressure. Well, with the 580's, I don't. The bass is definitely way more pronounced but sounds more crisp to me and, due to not directing sound right at my ear thanks to S-Logic, I can listen to bassy genres for a lot longer period of time before needing to take a break.

I bought the HFI-580 in order to have it be closed (for work and travelling for work which I do occasionally.... we go through spurts of travel all the time and then don't travel for months) but also portable (It folds!). The cable is slightly on the long side for portability, but I knew that going in. They performed well on a plane (isolated well, despite being unamped from my Zune) and in airports. So i'm very pleased. 

At work, I mostly to MP3's but I have recently purchased a hard drive so I have started taking my FLAC files with me. I do eventually plan on getting a desktop amp for work (inexpensive) as I use an ASUS Xonar Essence STX at home with built in amp for listening to music at home. I also plan on getting a portable amp for trips, but i'll worry about that in the next recommendation. :)

Next, I decided to also buy Grado SR225i for home listening. I spent a good solid 4 hours sampling the SR80, 125, 225, and 325. The 225 sounded the best so I bought them. Eventually I want to listen to the RS1i and RS2i (local store has them, but I wanted something entry level as i'm relatively new to hifi headphones (1 year)). After listening to the SR225i's back to back with the HFI-580 I realize just how much the 580's lack. Obviously the difference will be there (closed vs open) but the 225i are just so much more clear and the bass is so much more refined that I sometimes just wish I could take the 225's everywhere. But due to being an open design, that doesn't work for me.

While the soundstage is similar to me between the two cans (S-Logic helps here), the Grado are just more refined and sound much more clear. After listening to open back headphones, I definitely understand when people say closed back sounds muddied or muffled. Then again, I did buy essentially entry level hifi closed back headphones.

So, I did some research. And my research came up inconclusive. I looked at the Ultrasone PRO 900 but i'm just not sure how they are compared to the SR225i in terms of clarity. I looked extensively at these because of being able to get them at ~$330 and supposedly having great sound (I have nowhere to sample them). This is where you come in.

My budget is somewhere around $500 for a good set of closed back headphones that will allow me to isolate and are portable enough for trips. Cheaper is always better, of course :wink: ...and helps me get necessary equipment sooner, like an amp.

Honestly, if I had the money, I would just buy Edition 8's and be done with it because they sound really really good (had a chance to listen to them) and look even better. But i will leave that for later as I accumulate audio equipment. I feel that the other $500 in the price difference could be used toward a good desktop amp and portable amp which are things that are more necessary at this point in my hifi adventure.

My listening is about like this:

60% rock, including acoustic (Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, Tool [A Perfect Circle], Pink Floyd, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against the Machine, Led Zeppelin, Disturbed, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, Rise Against, Blink-182, Social Distortion etc)
20% Metal (Amon Amarth, Megadeth, Death, Stormwarrior, Helloween, Vader, Black Sabbath, Nile, etc.)
10% Hip Hop (Eminem, Tech N9ne, Tupac, Notorious B.I.G, E40, Kanye WEst, Kid Cudi, Macklemore)
10% Electronic which includes essentially everything: house music, techno, drum and bass, dubstep, chillstep, etc

Knowing my musical tastes, what I need (portable, closed back, circumaural), and knowing that I will get both a desktop and portable amp (Fiio E17 was my initial thought) to help drive the cans when at work/on the go respectively, lets hear the recommendations!

Thanks in advance.

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #18,516 of 29,490
Hi guys, first post for me too! I've been redirected here because i couldn't find an answer to my question anywhere.

I have to buy gaming headphones and i'm REALLY on a budget because i had robbers in my car and such.
After a bit of searching i've found, on the price i want to spend, these sets:

- Creative Fatal1ty
- Ozone Attack
- Plantronics Gamescom 380

I'll use them for gaming both with Skype/TS and with the games sound also. The only things i need are:

- a good mic. I don't want to shout, so the lower the edge it starts to make me be heard clearly, the better. I know the Plantronics have the noise cancellation feature
- good basses. I know that for this price i won't have a music studio basses but i don't want flat sounds!

Nothing more. Also if someone tried both the Ozone and the Plantronics it would be great to have a comparison between them!
I kinda eliminated the Creative because they seem really cheap in materials(red Amazon reviews and asked on YouTube), so i like the Ozone and the Plantronics more..i'm basically deciding between these two.

I love the look of the Ozone Attack, really aggressive, but some users have problems with mic breaking after 2-3 weeks without a reason(i could return them anyway) so probably they're a bit cheaper in materials(i don't know).
On the other hand the Plantronics seems really well built and i've also red customers that are happy concerning how they're made.

The main(and probably only thing) that i really care about is the sound(ofc, we're talking about headphones) and the basses. I owned only a cheap set with good basses, the other ones was totally flat like MP3 players in-ear hp's..so if someone can guarantee for one of the two sets or, as i said, make a comparison it would be great.

I forgot! If you tell me "buy this" or "buy that" explain me why please. I'm not an audio expert(even though i listen to a lot of music) but i still want to learn the more i can. Thanks in advance :)

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #18,517 of 29,490
I demo-ed a pair of KRK KNS 8400's yesterday and I like them for the clarity but their soundstage seemed a bit small to me. So my question is, are there headphones that have the clarity and neutrality of the KRK 8400's but also a bigger soundstage?

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #18,518 of 29,490
I am sorry but my priorities are always changing in what I want for my first headphone. I am looking for a closed full size headphone that is $200 or less. I listen to mostly alternativ/ alternative rock, classic rock, and some dance and hip-hop. My budget is $200 for the headphones themselves, not including an amp. Recommendations for amps under $100 are welcome too. I have heard good reviews about the Shure srh840, the Sennheiser 25, and the Beyerdynamic dt770. I have also heard the Koss Dj100 are well worth the money too, and I can get them from a store that is close.

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #18,519 of 29,490
Im in doubt between V-moda 80 x Ultrasone hfi 780,but i think that im going with the ultrasone cause i preefer over ear....do you guys think thats its a good choice???

1.Isolation and portable its important for me cause i need for outside use
2.A headphone that progressive trance sounds amazing but i can listen to rock and reggae too
3.Dont want to use with amp
4.Preffer with removable output cable

My budget is 200u$

*Sorry for my english mistakes
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #18,520 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys. I'm looking for my first pair of over ears. I'm trying really hard to keep it under $100 but that doesn't mean you can't recommend something pricier. I'm sure I can find w/e on eBay used or maybe in the trade section. I LOVE vocals so that is super important. I also like my bass to be strong and impactful. They have to be closed. I'll be plugging them directly into my iPod touch 4th gen and Asus laptop. No money for an amp now but maybe a Fiio later on.

Nothing? I listen to a lot of Jason Mraz, Jack Johnson, and the like

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #18,521 of 29,490
Quote:
I demo-ed a pair of KRK KNS 8400's yesterday and I like them for the clarity but their soundstage seemed a bit small to me. So my question is, are there headphones that have the clarity and neutrality of the KRK 8400's but also a bigger soundstage?

Does it matter if the headphones are closed/open, on-ear/over-ear?
Portable or at-home use?
Will you use an amp?
What is the price range that you are looking at?

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #18,522 of 29,490
Hi, im looking for an amp that pairs well with Senn 650's, and that will kick out enough power to drive most cans with authority. All for under 1k<.  I listen to classical, rock, metal, blues, alternative. As far as tube or solid state goes, they both seem to have merits, and having one would just mean id enjoy some of my collection more than others.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #18,523 of 29,490
Quote:
Been lurking for a while, but I figured I'd post and ask for some recommendations. 

First, I own Ultrasone HFI-580's. Found them for a good deal and was told they would sound good, but were easier to drive than the 780's.

After some listening, I must say, I really like S-Logic. When I listen to some headphones (ATH-M50 come to mind here), especially during my wubwub phases, I get fatigue and headaches from the bass due to the constant directional pressure. Well, with the 580's, I don't. The bass is definitely way more pronounced but sounds more crisp to me and, due to not directing sound right at my ear thanks to S-Logic, I can listen to bassy genres for a lot longer period of time before needing to take a break.

I bought the HFI-580 in order to have it be closed (for work and travelling for work which I do occasionally.... we go through spurts of travel all the time and then don't travel for months) but also portable (It folds!). The cable is slightly on the long side for portability, but I knew that going in. They performed well on a plane (isolated well, despite being unamped from my Zune) and in airports. So i'm very pleased. 

At work, I mostly to MP3's but I have recently purchased a hard drive so I have started taking my FLAC files with me. I do eventually plan on getting a desktop amp for work (inexpensive) as I use an ASUS Xonar Essence STX at home with built in amp for listening to music at home. I also plan on getting a portable amp for trips, but i'll worry about that in the next recommendation. :)

Next, I decided to also buy Grado SR225i for home listening. I spent a good solid 4 hours sampling the SR80, 125, 225, and 325. The 225 sounded the best so I bought them. Eventually I want to listen to the RS1i and RS2i (local store has them, but I wanted something entry level as i'm relatively new to hifi headphones (1 year)). After listening to the SR225i's back to back with the HFI-580 I realize just how much the 580's lack. Obviously the difference will be there (closed vs open) but the 225i are just so much more clear and the bass is so much more refined that I sometimes just wish I could take the 225's everywhere. But due to being an open design, that doesn't work for me.

While the soundstage is similar to me between the two cans (S-Logic helps here), the Grado are just more refined and sound much more clear. After listening to open back headphones, I definitely understand when people say closed back sounds muddied or muffled. Then again, I did buy essentially entry level hifi closed back headphones.

So, I did some research. And my research came up inconclusive. I looked at the Ultrasone PRO 900 but i'm just not sure how they are compared to the SR225i in terms of clarity. I looked extensively at these because of being able to get them at ~$330 and supposedly having great sound (I have nowhere to sample them). This is where you come in.

My budget is somewhere around $500 for a good set of closed back headphones that will allow me to isolate and are portable enough for trips. Cheaper is always better, of course :wink: ...and helps me get necessary equipment sooner, like an amp.

Honestly, if I had the money, I would just buy Edition 8's and be done with it because they sound really really good (had a chance to listen to them) and look even better. But i will leave that for later as I accumulate audio equipment. I feel that the other $500 in the price difference could be used toward a good desktop amp and portable amp which are things that are more necessary at this point in my hifi adventure.

My listening is about like this:

60% rock, including acoustic (Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, Tool [A Perfect Circle], Pink Floyd, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against the Machine, Led Zeppelin, Disturbed, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, Rise Against, Blink-182, Social Distortion etc)
20% Metal (Amon Amarth, Megadeth, Death, Stormwarrior, Helloween, Vader, Black Sabbath, Nile, etc.)
10% Hip Hop (Eminem, Tech N9ne, Tupac, Notorious B.I.G, E40, Kanye WEst, Kid Cudi, Macklemore)
10% Electronic which includes essentially everything: house music, techno, drum and bass, dubstep, chillstep, etc

Knowing my musical tastes, what I need (portable, closed back, circumaural), and knowing that I will get both a desktop and portable amp (Fiio E17 was my initial thought) to help drive the cans when at work/on the go respectively, lets hear the recommendations!

Thanks in advance.

Closed cans in this price range, especially those for portable use, are a real challenge. The Pro 900 is a basshead can.  The cheaper Pro 750 is better balanced.  However, I would suggest that you look to the Shure SRH 940--keeping your 580's for your basshead pleasures.  The other option is the new D600 Denon (I have not heard them).

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #18,524 of 29,490
Quote:

You need to go to open or semi-open cans, or to Ultrasone and their somewhat polarizing S-Logic technology.

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #18,525 of 29,490
Quote:
I am sorry but my priorities are always changing in what I want for my first headphone. I am looking for a closed full size headphone that is $200 or less. I listen to mostly alternativ/ alternative rock, classic rock, and some dance and hip-hop. My budget is $200 for the headphones themselves, not including an amp. Recommendations for amps under $100 are welcome too. I have heard good reviews about the Shure srh840, the Sennheiser 25, and the Beyerdynamic dt770. I have also heard the Koss Dj100 are well worth the money too, and I can get them from a store that is close.

The Shure is the best all-arrounder for your mix of genres.  The Ultrasone HiFi 780 with heavier bass and brighter highs is also an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back