++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 25, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #18,391 of 29,490
Quote:
Gaming and music are very different beasts, but I suppose they have some overlap. For gaming, you want something with a great soundstage, so you can hear if someone is behind you or to your left etc. If you don't care too much about leakage, I would definitely suggest the Beyerdynamic dt 860's. I always wanted to try these out with a mic and see how well they would do gaming, because of their supposed incredible soundstage. I'm not sure about style, but you can be the judge of that. With regard to the headphones you posted about:

- You need an amp for the Ultrasone's. You said you don't want to have to use an amp. (The DT's will definitely become much better with an amp, but its impedence is 32ohms, which your iPod for instance can handle
- Audio Technica is a great brand for gaming/music cross over. The ATH 900 series is no exception. I have heard great things about them for both music and gaming. One thing to note is that the closed version (the 900x) was designed more towards the music end and the AD 900 (the open one) was designed for gaming. The latter is supposedly just the 700 but with more clarity - to me that would be pretty awesome for gaming. The 900x seems like something that could definitely work for gaming but will satisfy your music needs.

After reading your post I'm leaning more towards the audio technica a900x as some games that I play requires you to press according to the music beats. (e.g. something like guitar hero, O2 Jam etc.) Or does the AD 900 actually perform better in these sort of games as well? Hmmm and I'm also curious to know if the AKG K550 would suit my music genres and games.
Appreciate the feedback~.

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #18,392 of 29,490
Is there such a thing as a portable 24/192 DAP for under $500USD?

All that I am currently aware of are the Colorfly C4, the iBasso DX100 and the inscrutable, wav-exclusive, Altmann Tera Player.  These players are all north of $650.  Does anyone know of any other hifi DAPs out there for a more reasonable dollar?  Is there any such product on the horizon?

A related question:

I would love to keep my iPod but bypass the DAC and mod it to allow the storage of 24/192 files (ALAC, FLAC, APE, WAV, whatever).  I have heard that some people have achieved this on their iPad through the camera connector.  Is there a solution for iPod?  

Thanks,

JW

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #18,393 of 29,490
Quote:
As i own the dt770pro 80ohm i can say the clarity is very good with great bass and highs the mids are a little recessed but only very slightly.
As a guess I would say the 32ohm version will have more bloated bass and less refinement in the highs the 80ohm will sound good from an mp3 player however the volume may not be ear bleeding they are adequate for me however i almost always u use a portable amp but even a fiio e5 or e6 will improve things and will improve further with a cmoy or dedicated solid state amp or even a tube amp but the tube amp is a guess
But don't feel pressured buy which ever will suit your needs best if you don't want an amp the
buy the 32ohm if you don't mind buy the 80ohm
darthsmile.gif

Lol I find it weird that the 80ohm version is about $50 more expensive than the 250ohms?

Sorry I didn't quite understand your grammar there. 
Are you saying that with both unamped, the 32ohms sounds better than the 80ohms? 

The DT 770 is the superior can and built much better.  If you select either be sure that you are OK with a "V" shaped EQ and the recess mids that come part of that package.

Do you have any other recommendations within this price range ($130-$199s)?

No open cans please. And also, I would appreciate bass as well, since I listen to a lot of mainstream music. And of course, aesthetic and comfort are also big pluses as well 
beyersmile.png

No Sennheisers or Grados please.. LOL 

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #18,394 of 29,490
Quote:

Do you have any other recommendations within this price range ($130-$199s)?

No open cans please. And also, I would appreciate bass as well, since I listen to a lot of mainstream music. And of course, aesthetic and comfort are also big pluses as well 
beyersmile.png

No Sennheisers or Grados please.. LOL 

I like the Ultrasone Pro 750, which sometimes falls into this price range from it's usual perch at about $225.  It requires an amp and does not have the "V" shaped EQ.

After than I'd go with the DT 770 (+/-Pro) at 250 Ohms.

Aug 26, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #18,396 of 29,490
Lol I find it weird that the 80ohm version is about $50 more expensive than the 250ohms?

Sorry I didn't quite understand your grammar there. 
Are you saying that with both unamped, the 32ohms sounds better than the 80ohms? 

Yeah sorry about the grammar :rolleyes:

Basically both the 80ohm and 32ohm will work on a mp3 player however the volume will not be as loud on the 80ohm as they require more voltage to reach an equal volume. So if you will only listen on a portable device and/or laptop the 32ohm is the one i would recommend as they will be running closer to their overall potential straight from a portable device. However if in the near future you will consider buying a headphone amp such as a cmoy or the like, i would recommend the 80ohm as they will provide a more refined sound. So yes the 32ohm will sound better unamped than the 80ohm :)

With regard to the price, the 80ohm version is the most popular model and therefore retailers can charge closer to the rrp where as the 250ohm and 600ohm are only bought by people that have the kit to drive them properly so they don't sell as many units so offer lower prices to sell them.

I hope that has cleared my last post up somewhat :darthsmile:

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #18,397 of 29,490
I've decided that I am going to get some Sennheiser headphones as their sound signature is what I am looking for. I am not sure what ones to go for though, the 558, 598 or the 650s.

From what I have read the 650s are obviously the 'best' and are pretty much exactly what I want in terms of sound, but are they worth the difference in price? I have listened to the 558s in a shop and really liked the sound.

At the moment I don't have an amp, so will obviously need one for the 650s and will still get one whatever I choose.

Thanks!

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #18,398 of 29,490
Hi

I listen a little bit to all kinds of music(reggae,rock,pop...)BUT im addictive to Trance,Progressive Trance,House,Electronic...

My budget is 100-200.
I have some models in mind:

Ultrasone Hifi-780s 
Ultrasone Hifi-580
DT 770

[size=1.7em] Sennheiser HD25-1 II [/size]

Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2

[size=1.7em] V-MODA Crossfade M-80[/size]

Wich one is better for me???

*Sorry for the English mistakes 
biggrin.gif

Thank you very much!

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #18,399 of 29,490
Quote:
I've decided that I am going to get some Sennheiser headphones as their sound signature is what I am looking for. I am not sure what ones to go for though, the 558, 598 or the 650s.

From what I have read the 650s are obviously the 'best' and are pretty much exactly what I want in terms of sound, but are they worth the difference in price? I have listened to the 558s in a shop and really liked the sound.

At the moment I don't have an amp, so will obviously need one for the 650s and will still get one whatever I choose.

Thanks!

They're all good cans,  You'll have to discuss what sound signature you want in some detail and how much you are willing to pay for it.

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #18,400 of 29,490
Quote:
Is there such a thing as a portable 24/192 DAP for under $500USD?

All that I am currently aware of are the Colorfly C4, the iBasso DX100 and the inscrutable, wav-exclusive, Altmann Tera Player.  These players are all north of $650.  Does anyone know of any other hifi DAPs out there for a more reasonable dollar?  Is there any such product on the horizon?

A related question:

I would love to keep my iPod but bypass the DAC and mod it to allow the storage of 24/192 files (ALAC, FLAC, APE, WAV, whatever).  I have heard that some people have achieved this on their iPad through the camera connector.  Is there a solution for iPod?  

Thanks,

JW

Hi Brix:

A few questions.  How many native 24/192 recordings do you own?  What cans and amp are you using?

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #18,401 of 29,490
Back-story: I've lurked here as an unregistered guest for years. However, headphones have never really been my primary listening environment. I've recently moved to an apartment where I feel it would be largely inappropriate to truck in my Marantz and my JBL 4311's. So I'm looking to upgrade my lowly HD201's (used simply for lo-fi tasks like games and youtube videos) for something that I can look at as a good primary replacement for my loudspeaker setup. Unfortunately, I live in Ohio where there seems to be no place to go try out headphones before buying. So I'm probably going to wind up buying a set up headphones based completely on other's reviews.

Tastes in music: Basically anything that isn't electronica/rap/death metal/mainstream pop. Primarily, country, rock&roll, and prog-rock from catalogs spanning the last 60+ years. (I love the obscure stuff) For example, I often spin records from "The Band" where you can find a wide variety of instruments being used on any given track.  Every now and then I dip into classical, jazz and more vocal centric music. Basically, I'm looking for a headphone to be a good "all-rounder", but I will accept cans with some minor limitations. I also play some FPS video games from time to time. Though, sound reproduction in games is by no means something I will hinge my decision on.

Budget: While I'm highly tempted to cheap out on a pair of AD700's, I'm willing to bump up to the $250 neighborhood for a set of cans that I hope to love. As well, I'm looking to get a headphone amp in the $250 neighborhood.

Tastes in sound:
  1. I love a large sound stage that feels open. But I've experience sound stages so huge you feel detached, where the imaging and positioning of sound is too "left-right". I like good separation and space between instruments, but not to the point that the connection and center is lost.
  2. I like a natural uncolored sound, but not to the point of being overly analytical. I'm not mixing and mastering albums here. Strictly for listening enjoyment.
  3. I like tight controlled bass. I would rather be slightly bass-light than have mud creeping into the mids.
  4. I don't like overly "thin" sound either. I like treble enough that I miss it when It's rolled off. But I don't want fatigue induced by overly aggressive highs either.
  5. I dislike V shaped dips or accentuations to mids.
  6. I like my JBL 4311's, but I recognize they have some limitaiton's. While they are mostly pretty well rounded, the bass has a tendency to mud up the low mids in some situations. That said, I'm happy enough with them that I have had no intention of upgrading them for a long time (or until I could afford some JBL 4430's or better)

Source:
My PC will be my source for listening. (FLAC!) I plan on using my Titanium HD sound card's onboard DAC, followed by a good non-portable desktop amp. While I don't' think the Titanium HD's headphone jack is horrible to use, it's high ~32ohm output impedance doesn't make it an optimum choice to serious listening (or so I've read). I typically use Jriver Media Center's WASAPI-Event-Style DSP for loudspeaker playback.

What I've looked at:
  1. AKG Q701's. - Reviews are impressive. But, some state things that make me leery, like being "too fast", weak bass, aggressive highs, and oversized soundstage.
  2. Grados - I haven't spent much time looking at grados simply because I really don't want an "on-ear" setup. While they may sound better, I intend to wear headphones for long hours and comfort is of greater concern.
  3. Audio-Technica AD900 - Talked about as a good step up from the AD700. But also talked about as a step down from the Q701's
  4. Senheiser (various models) - largely talked about as having a laid back sound -- makes me worry they would lack clarity, definition, and retrieval.
  5. Ultrasone HFI-2400 - Look like good "all-'rounders." Reported to have a great sound stage and great imaging. However, I worry I might dislike rolled off highs and slightly boosted bass.

Based on what I've read, I think I'm really looking for a set of open back cans. While my listening environment isn't the quietest, if isolation proves to be too much of an issue, I may switch to a set of modded fostex down the road. The HD201's I've used for the last 7 years for PC tasks and a little music offer almost no isolation, and I've been mostly happy with them in that regard.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #18,402 of 29,490
I need some advice on choosing headphones. My budget is 30 euro / 38 dollar / 24 pound. With that budget Superlux is a logical choice. I'll be using my headphones for gaming and music (top-40, house, pop) I've never had headphones before so it'll be a great step forward from my Apple earphones i've used for 2 year.... I do need closed headphones because I don't want other people to hear my music/ shooting. So its the HD661 vs HD662 (regular one) What are the differences between these headphones? I am from Holland, sadly enough there are no shops that have Superlux so I can't try them out myself. The only way I can get Superlux is from Amazon.co.uk. Forgot to mention it, I dont have an amp. And i will use my iPod touch 4g or plug them in to my computer with Realtek ALC892 audio chip.

Hope you can help me decide :) 

Aug 26, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #18,403 of 29,490
Quote:
I need some advice on choosing headphones. My budget is 30 euro / 38 dollar / 24 pound. With that budget Superlux is a logical choice. I'll be using my headphones for gaming and music (top-40, house, pop) I've never had headphones before so it'll be a great step forward from my Apple earphones i've used for 2 year.... I do need closed headphones because I don't want other people to hear my music/ shooting. So its the HD661 vs HD662 (regular one) What are the differences between these headphones? I am from Holland, sadly enough there are no shops that have Superlux so I can't try them out myself. The only way I can get Superlux is from Amazon.co.uk. Forgot to mention it, I dont have an amp. And i will use my iPod touch 4g or plug them in to my computer with Realtek ALC892 audio chip.

Hope you can help me decide :) 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/superlux-hd-662-f/reviews

Some of these reviews compare the two models. Another possibility may be the SRH 240's, but I cannot attest for their soundstage. I would probably go with the HD 661 myself.

Quote:
Back-story: I've lurked here as an unregistered guest for years. However, headphones have never really been my primary listening environment. I've recently moved to an apartment where I feel it would be largely inappropriate to truck in my Marantz and my JBL 4311's. So I'm looking to upgrade my lowly HD201's (used simply for lo-fi tasks like games and youtube videos) for something that I can look at as a good primary replacement for my loudspeaker setup. Unfortunately, I live in Ohio where there seems to be no place to go try out headphones before buying. So I'm probably going to wind up buying a set up headphones based completely on other's reviews.

Tastes in music: Basically anything that isn't electronica/rap/death metal/mainstream pop. Primarily, country, rock&roll, and prog-rock from catalogs spanning the last 60+ years. (I love the obscure stuff) For example, I often spin records from "The Band" where you can find a wide variety of instruments being used on any given track.  Every now and then I dip into classical, jazz and more vocal centric music. Basically, I'm looking for a headphone to be a good "all-rounder", but I will accept cans with some minor limitations. I also play some FPS video games from time to time. Though, sound reproduction in games is by no means something I will hinge my decision on.

Budget: While I'm highly tempted to cheap out on a pair of AD700's, I'm willing to bump up to the $250 neighborhood for a set of cans that I hope to love. As well, I'm looking to get a headphone amp in the $250 neighborhood.

Tastes in sound:
  1. I love a large sound stage that feels open. But I've experience sound stages so huge you feel detached, where the imaging and positioning of sound is too "left-right". I like good separation and space between instruments, but not to the point that the connection and center is lost.
  2. I like a natural uncolored sound, but not to the point of being overly analytical. I'm not mixing and mastering albums here. Strictly for listening enjoyment.
  3. I like tight controlled bass. I would rather be slightly bass-light than have mud creeping into the mids.
  4. I don't like overly "thin" sound either. I like treble enough that I miss it when It's rolled off. But I don't want fatigue induced by overly aggressive highs either.
  5. I dislike V shaped dips or accentuations to mids.
  6. I like my JBL 4311's, but I recognize they have some limitaiton's. While they are mostly pretty well rounded, the bass has a tendency to mud up the low mids in some situations. That said, I'm happy enough with them that I have had no intention of upgrading them for a long time (or until I could afford some JBL 4430's or better)

Source:
My PC will be my source for listening. (FLAC!) I plan on using my Titanium HD sound card's onboard DAC, followed by a good non-portable desktop amp. While I don't' think the Titanium HD's headphone jack is horrible to use, it's high ~32ohm output impedance doesn't make it an optimum choice to serious listening (or so I've read). I typically use Jriver Media Center's WASAPI-Event-Style DSP for loudspeaker playback.

What I've looked at:
  1. AKG Q701's. - Reviews are impressive. But, some state things that make me leery, like being "too fast", weak bass, aggressive highs, and oversized soundstage.
  2. Grados - I haven't spent much time looking at grados simply because I really don't want an "on-ear" setup. While they may sound better, I intend to wear headphones for long hours and comfort is of greater concern.
  3. Audio-Technica AD900 - Talked about as a good step up from the AD700. But also talked about as a step down from the Q701's
  4. Senheiser (various models) - largely talked about as having a laid back sound -- makes me worry they would lack clarity, definition, and retrieval.
  5. Ultrasone HFI-2400 - Look like good "all-'rounders." Reported to have a great sound stage and great imaging. However, I worry I might dislike rolled off highs and slightly boosted bass.

Based on what I've read, I think I'm really looking for a set of open back cans. While my listening environment isn't the quietest, if isolation proves to be too much of an issue, I may switch to a set of modded fostex down the road. The HD201's I've used for the last 7 years for PC tasks and a little music offer almost no isolation, and I've been mostly happy with them in that regard.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I was just listening to Bob Dylan and the Band! The Q701's are supposedly hard to drive, so you will need an amp for those bad boys. The AD900 was what I was thinking throughout your spiel, but as you said, the AKG's are quite impressive. Sennheiser is known for having a "darker" sound, if you will. But, this doesn't necessarily take away from what they can do. For instance, the HD 800 is pretty well received on this forum. If you don't mind used, you might be able to snag yourself a pair of HD 600's for a reasonable price. I don't know much about the Ultrasone models. An outside possibility may be a used pair of SRH 1440s if you can find someone selling them.

Quote:
Hi

I listen a little bit to all kinds of music(reggae,rock,pop...)BUT im addictive to Trance,Progressive Trance,House,Electronic...

My budget is 100-200.
I have some models in mind:

Ultrasone Hifi-780s 
Ultrasone Hifi-580
DT 770

[size=1.7em] Sennheiser HD25-1 II [/size]

Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2

[size=1.7em] V-MODA Crossfade M-80[/size]

Wich one is better for me???

*Sorry for the English mistakes 
biggrin.gif

Thank you very much!

The Sennheisers may be out of your budget. I haven't seen them for less than 200 in a while (then again, I haven't really been looking for them). If I were you, I would wait a bit until the V-Moda M-100 comes out and see how people respond to that. The M-80 prices have been steadily decreasing for a while now.

Quote:

Thanks!

An amp will do wonders on all of those guys. As for is X price increase worth the increase in sound, my philosophy has always been if you can afford it and there is a noticeable difference, then go for it. Everyone has their own approach, and it's difficult for anyone to say that the price jump is worth it or not worth it.

Aug 26, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #18,404 of 29,490
Yeah sorry about the grammar :rolleyes:
Basically both the 80ohm and 32ohm will work on a mp3 player however the volume will not be as loud on the 80ohm as they require more voltage to reach an equal volume. So if you will only listen on a portable device and/or laptop the 32ohm is the one i would recommend as they will be running closer to their overall potential straight from a portable device. However if in the near future you will consider buying a headphone amp such as a cmoy or the like, i would recommend the 80ohm as they will provide a more refined sound. So yes the 32ohm will sound better unamped than the 80ohm :)
With regard to the price, the 80ohm version is the most popular model and therefore retailers can charge closer to the rrp where as the 250ohm and 600ohm are only bought by people that have the kit to drive them properly so they don't sell as many units so offer lower prices to sell them.
I hope that has cleared my last post up somewhat :darthsmile:

I see. Hopefully the 32ohms will be affordable as well then :p
Thanks for all the help!

Would you have any further recommendations for me in this price range? (no exceeding $200)

Aug 26, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #18,405 of 29,490
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/superlux-hd-662-f/reviews

Some of these reviews compare the two models. Another possibility may be the SRH 240's, but I cannot attest for their soundstage. I would probably go with the HD 661 myself.

In none of the reviews are the 661 and 662 compared. Why do you prefer the 661 over the 662?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back