++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 25, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #18,347 of 29,490
I have $400 to spend on a new set of cans. 

I have an Asgard that powers my AT Pro 700s (LE). 

Getting into the classical and and rock atm. I'm thinking Q701? This will be an impulse buy so I'm hoping I get some recommendations soon!!!

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #18,348 of 29,490
Look into the HE400. It's regarded as one of the best price-performance ratio cans out there on the market today. I can personally tell you that it works extremely well with both genres. And reports have been said that the Asgard can drive the HE400 with authority.

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #18,350 of 29,490
Quote:
First time posting here,

Just wanna seek some advice on my choice of headphones.

My Music Genres:

J-pop, K-pop, Classical and sometimes mainstream rock.

What traits I'm looking for:

- Well controlled bass.

- Good Vocals.

- Fits my music genres.

- Useable for both gaming and music.

- Presentable Looks.

- Doesn't have to be portable.

My budget is around $300.

Researched abit and found the Audio Technica ATH A-900X and the Ultrasone Pro 550.

But the question I wanna ask is if the Audio Technica ATH A-900X can satisfy my gaming needs
and also if the Ultrasone Pro 550 can satisfy my music needs.

Also saw the AKG 550 being mentioned in a thread mentioning it's better than the Audio Technica ATH A-900X.
However, I'm unsure if it is suitable for gaming.

Unfortunately I have no opportunity to try any of these headphones out and judge for myself.

Which of the headphones is probably the safer choice?  Oh and I'm using the headphones umamped.

I welcome any new suggestions though.

Please advise and thanks for reading my post. ><

Gaming and music are very different beasts, but I suppose they have some overlap. For gaming, you want something with a great soundstage, so you can hear if someone is behind you or to your left etc. If you don't care too much about leakage, I would definitely suggest the Beyerdynamic dt 860's. I always wanted to try these out with a mic and see how well they would do gaming, because of their supposed incredible soundstage. I'm not sure about style, but you can be the judge of that. With regard to the headphones you posted about:

- You need an amp for the Ultrasone's. You said you don't want to have to use an amp. (The DT's will definitely become much better with an amp, but its impedence is 32ohms, which your iPod for instance can handle
- Audio Technica is a great brand for gaming/music cross over. The ATH 900 series is no exception. I have heard great things about them for both music and gaming. One thing to note is that the closed version (the 900x) was designed more towards the music end and the AD 900 (the open one) was designed for gaming. The latter is supposedly just the 700 but with more clarity - to me that would be pretty awesome for gaming. The 900x seems like something that could definitely work for gaming but will satisfy your music needs.

Quote:
Hi,

I am looking for some headphones that: 

Have great detail and clarity.
Aren't harsh on the highs.
Have good bass impact and range, but as little bleed as possible. 
Are portable (i.e. not huge like the sony XB500 etc - I don't mind about folding etc)
Are very comfortable (i have big ears)
Have good isolation. 
Are fun to listen to - life in the music!

I am looking to spend around £100-£150. 

I listen to mainstream music, hip hop, RnB, pop, mainly. 

My source is an ipod touch 3rd gen and I will be getting the new iphone.

I tried the M50 in a store in London and found them horrible in terms of comfort and didn't really understand what all the hype was about when i listened to them - is this something to do with the particular pair? or am i just not used to listening to music "properly"? The SRH840 were insanely comfortable but just sounded very boring?!! 

Is the Monster Inspiration  any good?

Please help!

Thanks again

The M50s are kinda wierd. A lot of people really enjoy them, but they aren't for everyone. Did you not like the recessed mids? In that case, you might want something neutral like the DT 770. Or you can try the bigger brother to the 840s  - the 940. It's supposed to be brighter, but its also supposed to retain the energy.
Quote:
This is my first foray into the world of finding decent quality headphones, and the price range I'm looking at is around $90.
I've been doing a lot of digging, making a list, checking it twice, all that, but honestly I don't really know what I'm doing. The extent of my ability is looking for the highest rated headphones on Amazon.
So maybe you guys could help me out?

I'm trying to find some headphones that are clear, crisp, and airy. I listen to classical/jazz, orchestra, rock, J-pop, electronic, and trance.
I'd be wearing whatever I got all day, so it'd have to be comfortable, and not too tight.

It's be awesome if you could help me out!

I need more information. Are you using these outside or inside? Do you care how much sound gets out or into the pair? Do you want to buy new or do you mind buying used?

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #18,351 of 29,490
This is my first foray into the world of finding decent quality headphones, and the price range I'm looking at is around $90.
I've been doing a lot of digging, making a list, checking it twice, all that, but honestly I don't really know what I'm doing. The extent of my ability is looking for the highest rated headphones on Amazon.
So maybe you guys could help me out?

I'm trying to find some headphones that are clear, crisp, and airy. I listen to classical/jazz, orchestra, rock, J-pop, electronic, and trance.
I'd be wearing whatever I got all day, so it'd have to be comfortable, and not too tight.

It's be awesome if you could help me out!

Take a look at the creative aurvana live they are just rebranded dennon ahd1001 and are very well regarded bang for buck cans and are also very good all rounders despite the bass emphasis imo
Others may have better suggestions but they are definitely something to consider

Hope that helps :darthsmile:

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #18,352 of 29,490
Quote:
Take a look at the creative aurvana live they are just rebranded dennon ahd1001 and are very well regarded bang for buck cans and are also very good all rounders despite the bass emphasis imo
Others may have better suggestions but they are definitely something to consider
Hope that helps
darthsmile.gif

Oh yes, the Creative Aurvana Live! Those guys are supposed to be powerful for their price.

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #18,353 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,

I am looking for some headphones that: 

Have great detail and clarity.
Aren't harsh on the highs.
Have good bass impact and range, but as little bleed as possible. 
Are portable (i.e. not huge like the sony XB500 etc - I don't mind about folding etc)
Are very comfortable (i have big ears)
Have good isolation. 
Are fun to listen to - life in the music!

I am looking to spend around £100-£150. 

I listen to mainstream music, hip hop, RnB, pop, mainly. 

My source is an ipod touch 3rd gen and I will be getting the new iphone.

I tried the M50 in a store in London and found them horrible in terms of comfort and didn't really understand what all the hype was about when i listened to them - is this something to do with the particular pair? or am i just not used to listening to music "properly"? The SRH840 were insanely comfortable but just sounded very boring?!! 

Is the Monster Inspiration  any good?

Please help!

Thanks again

I would recommend the V-Moda M80. They are small, relatively comfortable, and have a pretty balanced sound signature with a slight bump in the bass.

I don't think that the DT770 and Shure 940 that someone else suggested will work for you. Both are great, but are big and don't quite have the sound qualities you are looking for, and both improve with amping.

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #18,354 of 29,490
Quote:
I need more information. Are you using these outside or inside? Do you care how much sound gets out or into the pair? Do you want to buy new or do you mind buying used?

For the most part I'd be using them inside. A some isolation and noise cancellation would be nice, but it isn't a deal breaker. Used or refurbished is just fine.
I'm also into gaming, watching shows, pretty much everything - so these won't be exclusively music headphones that I'm wanting to get. The key word here is probably general purpose.

I'll definitely look into the Creative Aurvana Live, thanks!

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #18,355 of 29,490
For the most part I'd be using them inside. A some isolation and noise cancellation would be nice, but it isn't a deal breaker. Used or refurbished is just fine.
I'm also into gaming, watching shows, pretty much everything - so these won't be exclusively music headphones that I'm wanting to get. The key word here is probably general purpose.

I'll definitely look into the Creative Aurvana Live, thanks!

The creatives are closed so will provide decent isolation but if you want to go for pure sq open back is the way to go and then i would probably say to have a look at the audio technica ath ad500 or 700 or the grado sr60 or alessandro ms1
It however depends on your needs/requirements :darthsmile:

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #18,356 of 29,490
Quote:
The creatives are closed so will provide decent isolation but if you want to go for pure sq open back is the way to go and then i would probably say to have a look at the audio technica ath ad500 or 700 or the grado sr60 or alessandro ms1
It however depends on your needs/requirements
darthsmile.gif

I would advise against the ad500 or ad700 as those are supposedly bad for music listening. They are the standard for movies and videos though.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would recommend the V-Moda M80. They are small, relatively comfortable, and have a pretty balanced sound signature with a slight bump in the bass.

I don't think that the DT770 and Shure 940 that someone else suggested will work for you. Both are great, but are big and don't quite have the sound qualities you are looking for, and both improve with amping.

I mentioned the 940 and DT770 because he mentioned trying the 840 and didn't mention thinking it was too large. I may be wrong in their sound - I haven't tried either.

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #18,357 of 29,490
Hello. 

I would like some help on choosing between the Audio-technica ATH-M50s and the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros. Both are about the same price range. 

I listen to a variety of music, though many are of the 'mainstream' song categories (hip-hop, pop, etc). so a lot are the top 100 iTunes sings and the like. Sound quality and comfort are very important to me, along with quality of the headphones themselves. I do have slight basshead leanings, but do not want them muddy or too overpowering. 

I'm also open to suggestions though I would really like your opinion between these two! 

And on a side note, I own a pair of Bose QC15s for traveling. Any idea on how these cans stack up to the AT or the Beyers? 

Oh and my source is a iPod Touch 4Gen. I don't plan on purchasing an amp - too much of a hassle for out and about and in general. 

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #18,358 of 29,490
I would advise against the ad500 or ad700 as those are supposedly bad for music listening. They are the standard for movies and videos though.

It depends on the type of music that you listen on them as grado excel at rock and the at 500and 700excell at classical and some jazz overall it depends on your choice in music :darthsmile:

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #18,360 of 29,490
Hello. 

I would like some help on choosing between the Audio-technica ATH-M50s and the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros. Both are about the same price range. 

I listen to a variety of music, though many are of the 'newer' song categories (hip-hop, pop, etc). and many are on the top 100 iTunes. Sound quality and comfort are very important to me, along with quality of the headphones themselves. I do have slight basshead leanings.

I'm also open to suggestions though I would really like your opinion between these two! 

And on a side note, I own a pair of Bose QC15s for traveling. Any idea on how these cans stack up to the AT or the Beyers? 

For sheer comfort and build quality the beyers are the best that i have seen in any headphone i have ever owned as they have all user replaceable parts where afaik the audio technicas don't and are no where near as comfortable if you have a large head and/or ears. Also they sound far superior to the m50's imo
One massive vote for the beyers :darthsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back