++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 24, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #18,331 of 29,490
Quote:

If I use the 840 out of an iPod nano, it'd have to be at high volume settings too, correct? Would it be possible to have a pair of headphones that won't require high volume settings, run without an amp, while being affordable?

My setup for a while was the srh840 and an iPod classic. I'm not sure how different the drivers are within the iPod touch and the iPod classic, but I cannot imagine them being too drastic.

With that setup, I was in love. I have lent my headphones to friends who had no knowledge of hifi, headphones etc. and the majority of them said that they were impressed. So, in short, you do not need an amp for it.

I bought this set a couple of months ago: http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Butterfly-MicroFiber/dp/B007FFOL4E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345839912&sr=8-1&keywords=fiio+butterfly

With this new set, as you can imagine, the sound is even better, but for me, it wasn't quite as drastic as I imagined when I was buying the amp set. I may be a bit biased since I have the SRH 840s and I love them. When I tested them alongside the 440s, it was clear to me which one I wanted to invest in. But, it's your decision. Hope I helped a bit.

EDIT: Also, I listen to music at a relatively low volume, especially when compared to my friends.

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #18,333 of 29,490
Quote:
My setup for a while was the srh840 and an iPod classic. I'm not sure how different the drivers are within the iPod touch and the iPod classic, but I cannot imagine them being too drastic.

With that setup, I was in love. I have lent my headphones to friends who had no knowledge of hifi, headphones etc. and the majority of them said that they were impressed. So, in short, you do not need an amp for it.

I bought this set a couple of months ago: http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Butterfly-MicroFiber/dp/B007FFOL4E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345839912&sr=8-1&keywords=fiio+butterfly

With this new set, as you can imagine, the sound is even better, but for me, it wasn't quite as drastic as I imagined when I was buying the amp set. I may be a bit biased since I have the SRH 840s and I love them. When I tested them alongside the 440s, it was clear to me which one I wanted to invest in. But, it's your decision. Hope I helped a bit.

EDIT: Also, I listen to music at a relatively low volume, especially when compared to my friends.

The Fiio is decent budget amp but in the universe of amps it is just a very low cost entry level amp.  A bit more loudness, a bit more bass and a bit more thickness to the mids.  A simple upgrade to a good cmoy amp will put a real smile on your face.
smily_headphones1.gif

cheers

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #18,335 of 29,490
I currently have the Klipsch Image Ones and I'm looking for a nice upgrade. I'm considering the following:

Denon ADH2000
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm

Prioritized Concerns:
  1. Sound Leakage - will be listening mostly in office
  2. Good bass response - Love the bass response of my Image One's but its a bit sloppy
  3. Comfort - Want to wear them for hours on end
  4. Cost - Would love to stay under $350
  5. Warm sound - not too tinny, and not super laid back

I literally listen to ALL kinds of music but the top genres would probably be pop, hip-hop, rock, and rap in that order.

I will probably be amping them with a cMoyBB amplifier but I also want to be able to drive them off of my iPhone sometimes (hence the lower impedances).

What do you guys think? Which one and why? Any other ideas? Thanks!!!

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #18,336 of 29,490
Quote:
I currently have the Klipsch Image Ones and I'm looking for a nice upgrade. I'm considering the following:

Denon ADH2000
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm

Prioritized Concerns:
  1. Sound Leakage - will be listening mostly in office
  2. Good bass response - Love the bass response of my Image One's but its a bit sloppy
  3. Comfort - Want to wear them for hours on end
  4. Cost - Would love to stay under $350
  5. Warm sound - not too tinny, and not super laid back

I literally listen to ALL kinds of music but the top genres would probably be pop, hip-hop, rock, and rap in that order.

I will probably be amping them with a cMoyBB amplifier but I also want to be able to drive them off of my iPhone sometimes (hence the lower impedances).

What do you guys think? Which one and why? Any other ideas? Thanks!!!

The highs are bright on both, but a bit more so with the D2000.  If that's OK with you, the D2000 are the better sounding of the two.  They're on Tyll's Wall of Fame.

Both are comfortable and should be fine in an office environment, especially at reasonable volume levels.

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #18,337 of 29,490
Quote:
I find my M50 very unconfortable and looking for a new pair.
I would go with the DT880 for the confort, but I would also like some isolation.

Are the AKG K550 as confortable as the DT880/HD600?

Why not get the DT770 then? It will have a similar sound signature to the M50 and the same comfort as the DT880.

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #18,339 of 29,490
Quote:
I don't know your rig, but can tell that the AKG is more difficult to drive than the Senn.

Beyond that, both are very good for your genres.  You simply have to decide which sound signature you prefer.  Do you want the velvet smoothness of the Senns or the ethereal "hear every musical voice" clarity of the AKG.  Both are very comfortable.

I have an iBasso d7 dac/amp for the pc and a t5. I wish i could go with "hear every musical voice" coz i play guitar and really enjoy analyzing each sound/instrument, it is a joy to me... 
could i drive the akg with the d7 and t5? 

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #18,340 of 29,490
Quote:

I have an iBasso d7 dac/amp for the pc and a t5. I wish i could go with "hear every musical voice" coz i play guitar and really enjoy analyzing each sound/instrument, it is a joy to me... 
could i drive the akg with the d7 and t5? 

Can't help with that, except to say the the HiFiMan EF2A  and my Yamaha Adventage receiver will push the Q701.

Aug 25, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #18,342 of 29,490
Hi,

I am looking for some headphones that: 

Have great detail and clarity.
Aren't harsh on the highs.
Have good bass impact and range, but as little bleed as possible. 
Are portable (i.e. not huge like the sony XB500 etc - I don't mind about folding etc)
Are very comfortable (i have big ears)
Have good isolation. 
Are fun to listen to - life in the music!

I am looking to spend around £100-£150. 

I listen to mainstream music, hip hop, RnB, pop, mainly. 

My source is an ipod touch 3rd gen and I will be getting the new iphone.

I tried the M50 in a store in London and found them horrible in terms of comfort and didn't really understand what all the hype was about when i listened to them - is this something to do with the particular pair? or am i just not used to listening to music "properly"? The SRH840 were insanely comfortable but just sounded very boring?!! 

Is the Monster Inspiration  any good?

Please help!

Thanks again

Aug 25, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #18,343 of 29,490
First time posting here,

Just wanna seek some advice on my choice of headphones.

My Music Genres:

J-pop, K-pop, Classical and sometimes mainstream rock.

What traits I'm looking for:

- Well controlled bass.

- Good Vocals.

- Fits my music genres.

- Useable for both gaming and music.

- Presentable Looks.

- Doesn't have to be portable.

My budget is around $300.

Researched abit and found the Audio Technica ATH A-900X and the Ultrasone Pro 550.

But the question I wanna ask is if the Audio Technica ATH A-900X can satisfy my gaming needs
and also if the Ultrasone Pro 550 can satisfy my music needs.

Also saw the AKG 550 being mentioned in a thread mentioning it's better than the Audio Technica ATH A-900X.
However, I'm unsure if it is suitable for gaming.

Unfortunately I have no opportunity to try any of these headphones out and judge for myself.

Which of the headphones is probably the safer choice?  Oh and I'm using the headphones umamped.

I welcome any new suggestions though.

Please advise and thanks for reading my post. ><

Aug 25, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #18,344 of 29,490
After some searching I found the Superlux HD662. I only can get the the regular 662 from amazon co uk. How do these compare to the HD661?
After looking at the fr graph they have more bass I guess. Havent found any comparison of these two.

I did a little research on theses a while back for work but decided on iem's however from what i read the 662 line are better regarddd than the 661. However be caerful as the 662 come in three different flavours; 662(standard model) 662f (tuned for flat frequency response) and the 662b (tuned for more bass)
If I remember correctly I believe that the 662b gets more love than the other two models but take that with a pinch of salt as everyone is different and I maybe wrong!!
Have a look at them all and see what suits you preferences best but i don't think that you will go far wrong with the 662 as your first set of decent cans :darthsmile:

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #18,345 of 29,490
This is my first foray into the world of finding decent quality headphones, and the price range I'm looking at is around $90.
I've been doing a lot of digging, making a list, checking it twice, all that, but honestly I don't really know what I'm doing. The extent of my ability is looking for the highest rated headphones on Amazon.
So maybe you guys could help me out?

I'm trying to find some headphones that are clear, crisp, and airy. I listen to classical/jazz, orchestra, rock, J-pop, electronic, and trance.
I'd be wearing whatever I got all day, so it'd have to be comfortable, and not too tight.

It's be awesome if you could help me out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back